PDA

View Full Version : I'm Afraid

tralalala
07-04-2004, 07:06 PM
well, as i was talking to my mate (or, as i THOUGHT i was talking to my mate), it turned out very quickly that i was talking to the hacker of my friends forum, i am now really pissed and scared...

how can i protect my PC to the maximum so that i wont get hacked..? :(

any help will be greatfully welcomed...

Rafi :( :(

java.util.Tokarev;
07-04-2004, 07:10 PM
get a firewall such as zone alarm (free) and get a virus scanner. if ur willing to spend money then get somthing like mcafee firewall and virus scan. i rekon u will be ok with zone alarm though.

edit: get it here (http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/catalog/products/sku_list_za.jsp)

Filliz
07-04-2004, 07:17 PM
Go Stealth :ph34r:
That way your ports are invissable to potential hackers.

Voetsek
07-04-2004, 07:49 PM
eTrust EZ Armor Security Free

http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/index.cfm?

or get norton 2003 easy no key

sparsely
07-04-2004, 08:01 PM
bake him some cookies.
maybe he'll leave you alone

Voetsek
07-04-2004, 08:05 PM
you like my girls look no pants

sparsely
07-04-2004, 08:07 PM
wtfyousay?

tralalala
07-04-2004, 08:48 PM
i downloaded ZoneAlarm, but it seemed to just make things more difficult... why? simple: with all the program control crap and stuff the internet barely worked...

anyway, i have Norton Internet Security (with the Antivirus), and Sygate Personal Firewall...

is there any way i can do Stealth without ZoneAlarm..?

Rafi

manker
07-04-2004, 08:55 PM
you should only have one firewall installed. sygate should give you enough protection.

for stealth stuff go here (http://www.grc.com) and get your shields up!

gildan2020
07-07-2004, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by tralalala@5 July 2004 - 03:56
i downloaded ZoneAlarm, but it seemed to just make things more difficult... why? simple: with all the program control crap and stuff the internet barely worked...

anyway, i have Norton Internet Security (with the Antivirus), and Sygate Personal Firewall...

is there any way i can do Stealth without ZoneAlarm..?

Rafi
next time when ur trying a firewall, uninstall ur other firewalls...they can clash and give u problems

oh btw, since u are new to all of this kind of stuff, i would say...
Welcome to the Real World....of Security
:lol:

gildan2020

shn
07-07-2004, 01:42 PM
What's so bad about getting "hacked" anyway? Why does it scare people so much? It probably hurts the first time but you'll get used to being invaded after a while..............right?

n/m

I forgot men don&#39;t like to be penetrated. <_<

MicroScreen2
07-07-2004, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by shn@7 July 2004 - 13:50
What&#39;s so bad about getting "hacked" anyway? Why does it scare people so much? It probably hurts the first time but you&#39;ll get used to being invaded after a while..............right?

n/m

:o dont let j&#39;pol hear.

but seriously if you dont want them coming in, don&#39;t piss 1337boys off

tralalala
07-07-2004, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by shn@7 July 2004 - 15:50
What&#39;s so bad about getting "hacked" anyway? Why does it scare people so much? It probably hurts the first time but you&#39;ll get used to being invaded after a while..............right?

n/m

right lets say all your passwords to your bank account, ID number, credit card number and passwords to websites are on your PC, it gets hacked and everything is STOLEN and then DELETED.

how would you feel eh?

a bit pissed off? i dont think so, youd probably be so damn annoyed youd kill someone...

think about it man, its not something you can get used to.

shn
07-07-2004, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by tralalala+7 July 2004 - 11:39--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (tralalala @ 7 July 2004 - 11:39)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-shn@7 July 2004 - 15:50
What&#39;s so bad about getting "hacked" anyway?&nbsp; Why does it scare people so much?&nbsp; It probably hurts the first time but you&#39;ll get used to being invaded after a while..............right?

n/m

right lets say all your passwords to your bank account, ID number, credit card number and passwords to websites are on your PC, it gets hacked and everything is STOLEN and then DELETED.

how would you feel eh?

a bit pissed off? i dont think so, youd probably be so damn annoyed youd kill someone...

think about it man, its not something you can get used to. [/b][/quote]
Oh well, it&#39;s just a chance you take when you engage in frequent activity on the net. Most of the people I know are smart enough to have any sensitive data on an "unmounted" drive. Preferably an external one.

As for the credit cards, I buy stuff online sometimes but mostly I go to "real stores" in real life. Even if my credit card number was compromised it wouldn&#39;t make a difference because as a consumer I&#39;m not held liable. According to my bank the most I would have to pay is &#036;50 on any unauthorized credit or debit. Btw, getting credit card information is not that easy. You still need the verification number and I doubt even you would not be that stupid as store something of that nature on a pc.....................or would you?

manker
07-07-2004, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by tralalala+7 July 2004 - 17:39--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (tralalala @ 7 July 2004 - 17:39)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-shn@7 July 2004 - 15:50
What&#39;s so bad about getting "hacked" anyway?&nbsp; Why does it scare people so much?&nbsp; It probably hurts the first time but you&#39;ll get used to being invaded after a while..............right?

n/m

how would you feel eh?

think about it man, its not something you can get used to. [/b][/quote]
tralalalalala that was a joke you responded to :P

but if you keep your bank account, ID number, credit card number and passwords to websites on your PC while it is connected to the internet then no matter how many security measures you have taken, you are a moron.

sorry so blunt, but that stuff is to be kept in the wallet in your arse pocket and nowhere else :)

SaYiaN
07-08-2004, 06:09 AM
psh probally ur friend getting &#39;hacked&#39; was dling a trojan... Unupdated av maybe..?

i didn&#39;t know script kiddies stuff would make anyone &#39;Hacker&#39; Status&#33;

ishmoo21
07-08-2004, 06:16 AM
if you have msn premium you get mcafee virus scan and their firewall for free

tralalala
07-08-2004, 08:41 AM
i dont store any sensitive stuff on my PC, what i was trying to say was how youd feel if someone hacked into your PC and deleted absolutely everything...

MicroScreen2
07-08-2004, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by tralalala@8 July 2004 - 08:49
i dont store any sensitive stuff on my PC, what i was trying to say was how youd feel if someone hacked into your PC and deleted absolutely everything...
pfff. i&#39;m not that bothered, burn stuff straight to cd when i get it.

you know it actually came as a shock to me when my 60 day paint shop pro trial finished the other day. i dont think ive ever gone 2 months before without formatting :unsure: