PDA

View Full Version : Does Anyone Know How To Set Up Those Proxies

Liam100
07-04-2004, 11:12 PM
On the top right hand of this board is a proxy option, how can I set up my computer to use one of these? Does anyone know? And is willing to share that information!

manker
07-04-2004, 11:34 PM
you cannot configure your computer to use a proxy en masse, at least I dont know of a way. but you can configure each application that accesses the internet to use a proxy, for example:

in windows media player, hit tools >> options >> network >> hilite http >> configure >> dot the "use following proxy server" radio button >> put the proxy address in the proxy box and the port number in the port box*

* 219.32.981.90:80 proxy address before semi colon, port number after

All other apps that access the net will have a similar facility where you can enter a proxy.

Liam100
07-04-2004, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by manker@4 July 2004 - 23:42
you cannot configure your computer to use a proxy en masse, at least I dont know of a way. but you can configure each application that accesses the internet to use a proxy, for example:

in windows media player, hit tools >> options >> network >> hilite http >> configure >> dot the "use following proxy server" radio button >> put the proxy address in the proxy box and the port number in the port box*

All other apps that access the net will have a similar facility where you can enter a proxy.
Cheers

AndrewBarker
07-04-2004, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by Liam100@4 July 2004 - 23:20
On the top right hand of this board is a proxy option, how can I set up my computer to use one of these? Does anyone know? And is willing to share that information!
just as a point of interest Ad Muncher has a IP scramble feature for web surfing. where it uses a different proxy for each website visited

Liam100
07-05-2004, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by manker@4 July 2004 - 23:42

On my internet connection is that how I would set the ip address, Network -properties where it says obtain an ip address automatically i click the radio button Use the following Ip address?

Would this cause me problems with my internet provider? Cannot I keep my IP address and go via another proxy?

manker
07-05-2004, 02:00 AM
Originally posted by Liam100+5 July 2004 - 01:37--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Liam100 @ 5 July 2004 - 01:37)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-manker@4 July 2004 - 23:42

* 219.32.981.90:80&nbsp; proxy address before semi colon, port number after

On my internet connection is that how I would set the ip address, Network -properties where it says obtain an ip address automatically i click the radio button Use the following Ip address?

Would this cause me problems with my internet provider? Cannot I keep my IP address and go via another proxy? [/b][/quote]
I think you&#39;re getting a bit mixed up, your ISP sets your IP address, people use proxies to hide their IP address.

When you go to a website, that site sees your IP address, this is unique to you and you are traceable because of it. using a proxy hides this IP address so when you use a proxy, instead of the site seeing your IP address it sees the proxy address.

Using a proxy will not cause any problems with your ISP, think of a proxy as another server which your connection has to travel through before getting to it&#39;s destination (the website).

Liam100
07-05-2004, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by manker+5 July 2004 - 02:08--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (manker @ 5 July 2004 - 02:08)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Liam100@5 July 2004 - 01:37
<!--QuoteBegin-manker@4 July 2004 - 23:42

Would this cause me problems with my internet provider? Cannot I keep my IP address and go via another proxy?
I think you&#39;re getting a bit mixed up, your ISP sets your IP address, people use proxies to hide their IP address.

When you go to a website, that site sees your IP address, this is unique to you and you are traceable because of it. using a proxy hides this IP address so when you use a proxy, instead of the site seeing your IP address it sees the proxy address.

Using a proxy will not cause any problems with your ISP, think of a proxy as another server which your connection has to travel through before getting to it&#39;s destination (the website). [/b][/quote]
Cheers again and excellently explained, one last question how would I set up a proxy on my internet connection? This probably seems a silly question but why would I set up a proxy for windows media player?

sparsely
07-05-2004, 07:09 AM
some intranets (private internal networks) use a proxy server for all their public traffic. Usually only inside schools, corporate networks, etc.
So those settings are there in other apps in case you need them.

manker
07-05-2004, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by Liam100+5 July 2004 - 07:13--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Liam100 &#064; 5 July 2004 - 07:13)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by manker@5 July 2004 - 02:08

Using a proxy will not cause any problems with your ISP, think of a proxy as another server which your connection has to travel through before getting to it&#39;s destination (the website).
Cheers again and excellently explained, one last question how would I set up a proxy on my internet connection? This probably seems a silly question but why would I set up a proxy for windows media player? [/b][/quote]
You might use a proxy in your media player because you may be using it in conjunction with your browser which is using a proxy. e.g say you&#39;re a paid up member of some website, you&#39;re browsing it in IE with a proxy and you want to see some vids, if you connected through media player with your own IP and not the proxys IP that site would see 2 different IPs connecting at the same time and ban you. sticking the proxy in MP would guard against this.

I don&#39;t know what browser you use but this is how you set up a proxy in MyIE2 (also IE6)

Options/tools >> internet options >> connections >> hilite your connection in the window and hit "settings" >> check the "use a proxy for this connection" box >> enter proxy and port in the appropriate boxes >> click OK >> click OK

It&#39;s much the same with other browsers too :)

Liam100
07-05-2004, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by manker+5 July 2004 - 10:40--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (manker @ 5 July 2004 - 10:40)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Liam100@5 July 2004 - 07:13

Originally posted by manker@5 July 2004 - 02:08

Cheers again and excellently explained, one last question how would I set up a proxy on my internet connection? This probably seems a silly question but why would I set up a proxy for windows media player?
You might use a proxy in your media player because you may be using it in conjunction with your browser which is using a proxy. e.g say you&#39;re a paid up member of some website, you&#39;re browsing it in IE with a proxy and you want to see some vids, if you connected through media player with your own IP and not the proxys IP that site would see 2 different IPs connecting at the same time and ban you. sticking the proxy in MP would guard against this.

I don&#39;t know what browser you use but this is how you set up a proxy in MyIE2 (also IE6)

Options/tools >> internet options >> connections >> hilite your connection in the window and hit "settings" >> check the "use a proxy for this connection" box >> enter proxy and port in the appropriate boxes >> click OK >> click OK

It&#39;s much the same with other browsers too :) [/b][/quote]
Again excellent answer and that it youve answered everything very much appreciate it. :)

manker
07-05-2004, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Liam100@5 July 2004 - 12:37

Again excellent answer and that it youve answered everything very much appreciate it. :)
thats no problem, I&#39;m glad to help and it&#39;s nice that you&#39;ve taken the trouble to say thanks. :01: