PDA

View Full Version : Safe Mode

johnq86
07-06-2004, 05:36 AM
i have winme and everytime i resatrt it goes to safe mode and i need to restart it agian for it to work correctly

tesco
07-06-2004, 05:38 AM
Winme does that sometimes. ;)

:lol:

May i suggest formatting and installing either windows 2000pro, windows 98se, or windows XP corp?

johnq86
07-06-2004, 05:43 AM
formating is not a possiblity

tesco
07-06-2004, 05:56 AM
Originally posted by johnq86@6 July 2004 - 00:51
formating is not a possiblity
A possibility i thought of is that the computer isn't shutting down properly...how do u shut it down? hold the button? unplug? or do u do it right(start>shutdown)? (in which case it could be a driver conflict or something which we will try to diagnose later).

alexstron
07-06-2004, 11:04 AM
im using me too and it's always fu***ng jamming up, etc. and my comp is a piece of s**t ,but Im not buying a new one till it blows up......these usually get it going again

tune up utilities 2004 free trial
http://www.tune-up.com/

system mechanic.....free trial...........when the trials expire ....suprnova
http://iolo.com/

and lastly the free!!!!!!
hoverdesk regseeker
google for the link regards Alex

Chewie
07-06-2004, 03:46 PM
I can't believe how much trouble people in here have with WinME, when I still have four happy customers using it without hassle.

@ johnq86:
How does it get into Safe Mode, does it almost get into Windows and then restart and bring up the boot option screen?

Anyways, you can either use System Restore from a command prompt (GO HERE (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;279736)) or run the Windows installation again to install Windows over itself (you won't lose application/games installations and your files will be safe but it's always best to back-up just in case!).

tesco
07-06-2004, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Chewie UK@6 July 2004 - 10:54
Anyways, you can either use System Restore from a command prompt (GO HERE (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;279736)) or run the Windows installation again to install Windows over itself (you won't lose application/games installations and your files will be safe but it's always best to back-up just in case!).
Forgot WinME had system restore.
Never worked for me anyway, not in XP either, have always disabled it. ;)

manker
07-06-2004, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by Chewie UK@6 July 2004 - 15:54
I can't believe how much trouble people in here have with WinME, when I still have four happy customers using it without hassle.
out of how many ME customers in total? ;)

I'm joking ^ but I had winME for about a year a while back, I had many, many problems with it but I only realised the extent of it's hideousness when I downloaded and installed XP pro from suprnova, before that I thought all PCs had to be rebooted after around 2 hours of use :ph34r:

clocker
07-06-2004, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Chewie UK@6 July 2004 - 08:54

Do they exhibit brainwave activity at all?
How can you tell they are happy?

Every ME user I know of has been thrilled to death to get rid of it.

tesco
07-06-2004, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by manker@6 July 2004 - 12:51
I'm joking ^ but I had winME for about a year a while back, I had many, many problems with it but I only realised the extent of it's hideousness when I downloaded and installed XP pro from suprnova, before that I thought all PCs had to be rebooted after around 2 hours of use :ph34r:
Ever use Windows 98se? It never froze on me...well, not that often. Occasional BSOD, but it was the kind you could esc out of.

In ME: constant freezing every 5 minutes after installing my network card...for cable internet. i think it was a bad driver, but still had to forat and install ME over and over to figure it out then went to 98se. Then XP. Haven't looked back since. This was all on my old computer. New one hasn't even got a glimpse of my ME cd, it would cry if it did. :'(

:lol:

Chewie
07-07-2004, 12:17 AM
LOL :D

You lot crack me up, you really do. :D

@ manker:
All four of my WinME customers are happy with it. :)

@ clocker:
Pretty much alive and kicking, altough I had Ashley's AVG-ignorant viruses to sort out this week (Now he's a Norton guy). He owns a stable and has a daughter that show jumps and when he goes to horse trials, he lets young relatives have the run of his WinME installation. I did have to uninstall EasyCD4 as well though, cos it was causing an 0187 BSOD on the odd boot. :)
Andy is the manager of a pub but does little on it except manage Spurs in CM4.
Kim is the author of a craft book but she still needs to augment those wages.
Alan hasn't phoned me since he needed me to install a CDRW drive last year, but he was a regular customer where I worked, living only yards away, and never mentioned anything except how difficult it was to keep his phone bill down with a 15 year old son.

@ Ross:
As you say, after installing your network card and you suspected bad drivers.

To all
It would be silly to claim that I've never seen a problem on WinME, but I'm not daft enough to claim that anyway. I can honestly say that for me it was the most stable home OS that M$ produced until XP arrived. I actually held off installing XP on my machine because I was worried about M$'s penchant for testing and testing and still needing to put out fixes the day after release.
People slagged it off when it was released because it was slower than 98, and some hardware wasn't fully compatible... I certainly remember WinME vs 98 - Surprising Results!!! -type headlines in mags at the time.
It's amazing to look back on the way ME was slagged for hardware not working properly, yet the hardware manufacturers themselves came in for the flak when their products didn't work in XP. It's all down to drivers and some companies are better than others, eh CreativeLabs? ;)

Ariel_001
07-07-2004, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004+6 July 2004 - 13:44--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ROSSCO_2004 @ 6 July 2004 - 13:44)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Chewie UK@6 July 2004 - 10:54
Anyways, you can either use System Restore from a command prompt (GO HERE (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;279736)) or run the Windows installation again to install Windows over itself (you won&#39;t lose application/games installations and your files will be safe but it&#39;s always best to back-up just in case&#33;).
Forgot WinME had system restore.
Never worked for me anyway, not in XP either, have always disabled it. ;) [/b][/quote]
Ya i know what you mean... I always used disk imaging software like norton ghost.

peat moss
07-07-2004, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by Chewie UK@6 July 2004 - 16:25
LOL :D

You lot crack me up, you really do. :D

@ manker:
All four of my WinME customers are happy with it. :)

@ clocker:
Pretty much alive and kicking, altough I had Ashley&#39;s AVG-ignorant viruses to sort out this week (Now he&#39;s a Norton guy). He owns a stable and has a daughter that show jumps and when he goes to horse trials, he lets young relatives have the run of his WinME installation. I did have to uninstall EasyCD4 as well though, cos it was causing an 0187 BSOD on the odd boot. :)
Andy is the manager of a pub but does little on it except manage Spurs in CM4.
Kim is the author of a craft book but she still needs to augment those wages.
Alan hasn&#39;t phoned me since he needed me to install a CDRW drive last year, but he was a regular customer where I worked, living only yards away, and never mentioned anything except how difficult it was to keep his phone bill down with a 15 year old son.

@ Ross:

To all
It would be silly to claim that I&#39;ve never seen a problem on WinME, but I&#39;m not daft enough to claim that anyway. I can honestly say that for me it was the most stable home OS that M&#036; produced until XP arrived. I actually held off installing XP on my machine because I was worried about M&#036;&#39;s penchant for testing and testing and still needing to put out fixes the day after release.
People slagged it off when it was released because it was slower than 98, and some hardware wasn&#39;t fully compatible... I certainly remember WinME vs 98 - Surprising Results&#33;&#33;&#33; -type headlines in mags at the time.
It&#39;s amazing to look back on the way ME was slagged for hardware not working properly, yet the hardware manufacturers themselves came in for the flak when their products didn&#39;t work in XP. It&#39;s all down to drivers and some companies are better than others, eh CreativeLabs? ;)
Well fellas, I see I hav&#39;t missed much. :D I prefer Xp but choice is good .

tesco
07-07-2004, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by Chewie UK@6 July 2004 - 19:25
Yup, only explanation is that the driver wasn&#39;t compatible with ME. ;)