PDA

View Full Version : Learning Guitar....

SillyRumours
07-06-2004, 09:22 AM
I want to learn guitar, can anyone recommend songs to start learning and something fairly difficult to work towards - errr, preferably songs that don't need the B string because the head's broken and i can't tune it :blink:

Afronaut
07-06-2004, 01:34 PM
Play any song you like,
try different positions to get that note what is in the B string.

Imagine during the concert, one string snaps off, and youll have to play the Melody line etc.

Its very handy to know the different positions on the neck.
Same notes can be found all over the neck.

:cool2:

ps. with floating Vibrato (like Floyd Rose), the whole tuning gets kinda Out, so these Position chances dont help you much, but it does make youthink differently about how to play certain things.

wontellyagen
07-06-2004, 06:24 PM
no offense to Guitar Slinger, but do you really think silly rumours would be able to "play anything you like" if he/she is asking for an easy song to learn?
but the advise is sound for an intermediate or above...

Try this site silly rumours.....

guitar noise .com (http://www.guitarnoise.com/easy.php)

Afronaut
07-06-2004, 09:00 PM
No Pun taken here.

:D

I dunno, it was over 20 years a go since I started playing.

I was merely trying to be general about what to do.
Sort of like, "play what you know,but in different postition".
With a 5-stringer, i always tend to just noodle anyways...

Dont have to learn a new song really, just take a closer look what you got allready.

I also did some research about web pages, didnt find too many i could agree
on the methods and most of them requires to DL and install something, shareware etc.

For songs, frist songs i've learned i think was some x-mas tunes (a bit early for those)
and then some basic 3-chord stuff, i was into 50's stuff then.
Gene Vincent, Eddie Cochran, Elvis Presley, Stray Cats etc...
Those more or less Teh Basics for me.

If you use p2p, do a Search with a word Guitar and DL some pdf files,
you may find some Guitar for beginners eBooks.

And, GuitarPro is definately out there, DL that and some Tabs for it.
Is easy to use/learn songs with that app, i guess.

Nothing beats the Real Books tho.

wontellyagen
07-07-2004, 01:58 AM
Originally posted by Guitar-Slinger@6 July 2004 - 21:08
No Pun taken here.

I dunno, it was over 20 years a go since I started playing.

I was merely trying to be general about what to do.
Sort of like, "play what you know,but in different postition".
With a 5-stringer, i always tend to just noodle anyways...

Dont have to learn a new song really, just take a closer look what you got allready.

I also did some research about web pages, didnt find too many i could agree
on the methods and most of them requires to DL and install something, shareware etc.

For songs, frist songs i've learned i think was some x-mas tunes (a bit early for those)
and then some basic 3-chord stuff, i was into 50's stuff then.
Gene Vincent, Eddie Cochran, Elvis Presley, Stray Cats etc...
Those more or less Teh Basics for me.

If you use p2p, do a Search with a word Guitar and DL some pdf files,
you may find some Guitar for beginners eBooks.

And, GuitarPro is definately out there, DL that and some Tabs for it.
Is easy to use/learn songs with that app, i guess.

Nothing beats the Real Books tho.

I couldn't agree more, Guitar Slinger.

I don't have the 20 yrs of play behind me (wish I did!) I would have to say to Sillyrumours.....get as many books on the subject as you can. Some theory wouldn't hurt either. Now there's an arguement. I wonder who taught Willie Mctell, Skip James, and the rest of the boys from that era, musical theroy? ;)

Moving a few strings, confined to a few frets gets redundant....very restrictive. Learning to play the same notes in different positions certainly gain you a better grasp of the potential....besides it feels great to wonder :P

While I wonder around in my little box, Guitar Slinger is running the extent of the whole damn fret board....been listening to 'sharing is caring'
nice work -GS-

kaiweiler
07-07-2004, 03:40 AM
Damn, learning to play guitar is one thing I wish I had of done...

Turkishjade
07-07-2004, 06:52 AM
You guys are being too hard....

I'll tell you the first couple of songs I learned (with comments on each)

1. Blackbird-Beatles Teaches you bar positions while sliding.
2. Black Dog-Led Zeppelin Teaches you Lead as well as playing off beat
3. Commuication Breakdown-Led Zeppelin Teaches you Rhythm
4. Manic Depression-Jimi Hendrix Teaches you to switch Rhythm&Lead
5. The Ocean-Led Zeppelin Teaches you Lead and Rhythm off the beat

Practice singing all of the above while singing for steps 6-10. Even if you suck at singing! Just practice because you KNOW you will end up being a guitar player who sings. You know you will. So why be the typical type of wanker who plays but can't sing? Don't move forward until you can do steps 1-8 okay??????!!!!!1

Okay, now you can expand a bit. If you want to be:

1-Hard Rock guy...Learn to play:
"This Time", Life of Agony-Album-River Runs Red
2-Classical Rock guy...Learn to play:
"The Rain Song", Led Zeppelin-Album Houses of the Holy
3-Metal God guy...Learn to play:
"One", Metallica-And Justice For All
4-Heartfelt Indie Rock guy...Learn to play:
"Can't Change Me", Chris Cornell-Euphoria Morning
5-Traditional Backup Rhythm guy...Learn to play:
"Don't Come Around Here No More", Tom Petty-Southern Accents
6-Country Fingerpicking GOD...Learn to play:
"Shotgun Down the Avalanche", Shawn Colvin-Steady On

After you learn whatever style above suits you (WITH SINGING), practice the OTHERS!!!!! yeah, you'll never play them in your set, but the hell with it....it can't hurt to play around, no???

Take the time to learn how to read sheet music and FAKE SHEETS. Just for the hell of it.. You can curse me out later at turkishjade AT hotmail.com. If not, do me a favor and JUST DO IT (copyright NIKE, 2004)

Then plow forward into each artists inidiviual style a bit further learning whole albums to start. Here is a guide based on the last list.

1-Hard Rock guy look at FUGAZI, ROLLINS, TOOL, DEFTONES,
2-Classical Rock guy look at WHO, ZEPPELIN, (rockin only..) QUEEN and RUSH
3-Metal God guy look at IRON MAIDEN, (faster) ZEPPELIN, BLACK SABBATH, KISS
4-Heartfelt Indie Rock guy look at THE EELS, OASIS
5-Traditional Backup Rhythm guy look at TOM PETTY\, DYLAN, FLEETWOD MAC
6-Country Fingerpicking GOD look at SHAWN COLVIN, ANI DIFRANCO

Learn a couple of songs (at least 5) with SINGING and then you can plow forward into the genre you want.

Look, I'm a musician that actually knows how to read music and knows how to play and I can tell you: if you can't read music and play and sing at the same time: YOU ARE NOT READY FOR THE NEXT STEP unless you have a gimmick that is so strong that it overrides any lack of talent (i.e. Makeup, Relative in the industry, So young that you are unable to drink, Missing a part of a finger (Tony Iommi), etc.). Take the time now, while in infancy, and build your skills. You will thank me later.

I don't want to be the guy who, 6 months after you get a record deal, is downloading your single off P2P and isn't bothering to listen to the rest of the album because my friends said its shiate!!!!!!!!

Now!!!!!

Now Grasshopper: you will want to learn a more pop style. If you think that you won't need a pop style, I want you to listen to the albums made by "Maroon 5" and "Tobie Lightman" These are people, like you, who had to move into a pop vein because their label told them to. If you were fortunate enough to listen to them perform live without a "Studio" and "Electronics" you would understand that they have skills far above what you would expect for a pop band.

Know that, until you can play any of their simpler songs on acoustic guitar, YOU ARE NOT RED "E" (ready.)

Once you can play (and sing and READ) all of the initial songs I gave you, and can play several songs in the genre that you picked, and can play pop if FORCED to...

Then you are ready. Then you are the next guitar god. One who will be worshipped....one who will be adored for all of the warm and fuzzies he has given to the multitude of guitar acolytes in the world.

I weep for you. And I pray for you. Go forth young man......

Turkishjade

Turkishjade
07-07-2004, 07:07 AM
And I'll give you a little tip while you are learning to read music and play guitar....

Those who don't come from a musical background, but play really well no matter what the occasion, have probably read the "Fretboard Logic" series (including the bass one's) from Bill Edwards.

His books explain why the guitar is tuned the way it is, why you need to form patterns the way they are, and how you can improvise "convincingly" in any situation.

Hard to find, but a find to be sure!!!!

I don't want to blow smoke up your arse, but with at least practicing 2 hours a day, and with properly lubricating your fretboard (with silicone spray), and with using higher than 10 guage strings, and with learning to pick with a hard(firm/jazz) pick, and with singing along, and with tapping your foot, and with following all of the songs genre by genre....

You could be EXACTLY where you want to be in a year and a half.

I was, and I had exactly the same help I'm giving you!

If you think you are L33T enuf, just keep viewing this link to put you back in your place ( Craziest guitarist evah...a bit sloppy though. (http://www.retardedfun.com/ingentop.php?post=213) Point of reference: I have been playing for 8 years and I am 70% of the way to where he is (and I sound a HELL of a lot sloppier than he does!)

Afronaut
07-07-2004, 10:43 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thats Fred Astaire on Fretboard allrite.
With a Flamengo-Glove.
This is funneh also. (http://www.ebaumsworld.com/marioguitar.html)
SuperMario my ass. Sloppy vid but you get the point.

There's a lot of those Jonglers out there,
can you imagine the hours they spend to actually learn to play like that?
I think that even with lotsa Talent (ie. learning fast) they still spend
hundreds or maybe thousands of hours getting teh skills.

Nice post(s) , good points.

The singing part is true important, its 100% sure that if you going to play with
other folks, you gonna have to know how to sing also.

I'd say playing with Metronome from early on can be a good tool
for the Timing, its not enough to know how to play if you gonna play it
out of tempo. Or, play with CD's. But use something for the tempo
other than Tapping the Leg.

I've seen a lot of Books about Guitar, i own many books,
real ones and teh eBooks. (net is full of pdf files)
Just about any Guitar Tabs book made of some albums is probably scanned and available on the net. I've used eMule on this and it was a bit slow but
also, it was full of eBooks. Just make a search with a keyword Guitar and extension with PDF and
you'll see what im talking about.

But, the absolutely best book i own is
The Guitar HandBook (http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0679742751/ref=sib_int_redir/102-3384018-2908929?v=look-inside&s=books#reader-link).
I got the Finnish and the English version.
I thought i lost my Finnish copy of it so i got the English version,
needless to say i stumbled upon the Finnish version few days later i got the English book.
It is excellent book, for 17.50$ (might firnd it cheaper elswhere)
it is definately worth it.
Has info of Acoustics, Electrics, Equipment (guitar,amps,effects,recording etc)
Guitar Maintaining, history of some amazing player, the Theory...
Tons of good read, go buy it NOW !!!
(I wish i had a Scanner....)

Turkishjade
07-07-2004, 01:59 PM
:blink: GuitarSlinger...I think I will definitely add that video to my collection. Only to be eclipsed by this video: Van Halen "Eruption" on Violin? (http://www.bobbyyang.com/video/750kb.htm)

You are right, a metronome would be a good tool to own. I, for one, wish guitarists would at the very least by a tuner of some kind....I mean, if you are experimenting, then OK, but I find it funny that some famous bands can't hear that they are out of tune. They just turn up the Overdrive until it sounds "sweet."

I had no idea anyone had taken the time to scan guitar books. I'm going to go check it out now. THanks for the tip!

Afronaut
07-07-2004, 03:23 PM
Thanks for the Eruption. Look at the size of her hands man....

:lol:

Yeah, i think most of the old Jimmy hendrix live recordingd are horrible
because he was mostly so out of tune, nothing wrong with the songs or
perfomance, but the tuning....

I've noticed myself playing out of tune at live gigs too,
i think sometimes it has little to do with monitoring too,
one needs to hear himself. Maybe the overall noice in concerts, audience etc.
might do no good on it too, difficult to hear hows the tuning.
Not everyone can afford the In-Ear monitoring system.
(plus the beers imo dont help at all...)

PreStretch the strings on guitars Well before the gig,
prevents them going off a little.

Nowadays its easy to use a small tuner, makes a huuge difference.
Its easy to check out the tuning after every song.

:)

There is one other thing about it too.
You can have a guitar in tune, and keep bending the note Over or Under,
Kirk Hammet playing Live gigs is perfect example.
Its horrible when you are semi-note off.

wontellyagen
07-07-2004, 04:33 PM
Turkishjade...who's the artist? I can't read the rolling marquee in the vid.
I think i'll give up now...no sense in becoming that 'sloppy' :D

Great tips ya'll

Kiaweiler,
what do you mean, when you say?
"Damn, learning to play guitar is one thing I wish I had of done... "
Did your hands fall off? (gawd, I hope not or that joke is gonna be really rude)

here's an article for ya "Never To Old To Learn" (http://www.guitarnoise.com/article.php?id=399)

Turkishjade
07-07-2004, 04:57 PM
Justin King. Another video here. (http://www.doolinguitars.com/king.html) I envy his talent, but let's face it, he is a little sloppy. :music1:

All you guitar guys out there:

Remember when we wanted to play like Yngwie Malmsteen, Joe Satriani and Steve Vai? Remember how we used to buy all of their albums even though we didn't really like the music? Remember the scale books? Remember working for a month trying to get the guitar duel scene from the movie Crossroads just right? Remember thinking that you would play so much better if you could just get that $2500 Les Paul? Remember subscribing to every guitar magazine in print? Remember your first rejection at a Band casting call?

Ahh, good times.

Afronaut
07-07-2004, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by Turkishjade@7 July 2004 - 18:05
Justin King. Another video here. (http://www.doolinguitars.com/king.html) I envy his talent, but let's face it, he is a little sloppy. :music1:

All you guitar guys out there:

Remember when we wanted to play like Yngwie Malmsteen, Joe Satriani and Steve Vai? Remember how we used to buy all of their albums even though we didn't really like the music? Remember the scale books? Remember working for a month trying to get the guitar duel scene from the movie Crossroads just right? Remember thinking that you would play so much better if you could just get that $2500 Les Paul? Remember subscribing to every guitar magazine in print? Remember your first rejection at a Band casting call?

Ahh, good times.
Speak for yourself dude,
I still dig Vai, Satriani and Malmsteen...
That will never wear out off me.

Magazines, damn they was expensive, lol.
And yeah, i got lotsa books, not just eBooks.

I never didnt jump on the Stratocaster/LesPaul band-wagon thought,
I thought htere's enough ppl using those guitar (fine guitars btw)

Got me and Ibanez Jem aroung -86 it was, plus some more guitars later on.
I do like the Ibanez guitars, but i also have Gretsch for that Swingy Rockabilly stuff,
plus other guitar-gear,. Its amazing how they collect on the corners...
Motto is; Never sell any gear, you Will miss it if you do.

I've been living on small towns, hangin on small social circles,
so i've yet to be rejected as i've never really took those Audition sessions,
there aint any around here.
Who knows, maybe i've been rejected but didnt hear about it,
is it like "Dont call us We call you" kinda situations?

(I've been playing on numerous little bands
and projects tho. )

Turkishjade
07-07-2004, 06:16 PM
You know, I always liked Gilbert above Malmsteen because he didn't limit his riffs to classical music. (( BTW, buckethead is the new malmsteen )) As far as Satriani and Vai, they really are interchangeable (didn't Satch teach Vai or vice versa?)

But then again, I forgot Vai has that Zappa connection.......hmmm......

You know, on second thought, fuck it: they do still rock. Got to go get my Surfin the Alien album out. :music1:

I know what you mean about Ibanez. I've got all of their mini pedals and I have an original 777 (scalloped), and a new MMM. Both rawk! I've played Kramers, Fenders, PRSs and Peavys, but I will always fall back on to Ibanez. And, I admit it, I have never ever touched a Les Paul.... (I Don't know any one rich enough. :smilie4: )

Afronaut
07-07-2004, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by Turkishjade@7 July 2004 - 19:24
You know, I always liked Gilbert above Malmsteen because he didn't limit his riffs to classical music.  (( BTW, buckethead is the new malmsteen ))  As far as Satriani and Vai, they really are interchangeable (didn't Satch teach Vai or vice versa?) 

But then again, I forgot Vai has that Zappa connection.......hmmm......

You know, on second thought, fuck it: they do still rock.  Got to go get my Surfin the Alien album out.  :music1:

I know what you mean about Ibanez.  I've got all of their mini pedals and I have an original 777 (scalloped), and a new MMM.  Both rawk!  I've played Kramers, Fenders, PRSs and Peavys, but I will always fall back on to Ibanez.  And, I admit it, I have never ever touched a Les Paul.... (I Don't know any one rich enough.  :smilie4: )

Exactly ! :lol: Gibson guitars tend to be expensive,
i guess a lot of it has to do if they build them LéPauls in USA,
cost of labour etc... same goes with any US made guitars i think.

My very first guitar was a Really Bad LéPaul copy called Marchis (if i remember right)
It sucked Elephant Dick but i didnt care that much about it way back then, he he,
I sold it and got me a copy of SG-copy with some sorta Bigsby-thingie,
I wanted a guitar with a whammy, it sucked really bad too, couldnt keep a tune no matter what,
i was also like 13 or so, might have something to do with the "issues"
Then my mom bought me that Framus, looks a bit like LesPaul, she got it off really cheap
from a fellow player, something about 2-300$ I guess, today if you want to buy the ReIssue,
it would set you back close to 4 grands. Talking about Expensive Guitars :wacko:

My main guitar is Jem7RB (http://www.jemsite.com/axes/model/jem7rb.htm).
I got also UV777BK (http://www.jemsite.com/axes/model/uv777bk.htm), AJ307CENT (http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/guitar.asp?model=AJ307CENT),
Gretsch 6120-SSL (http://www.gretschguitars.com/gear/index.php?product=G6120SSLVO&cat1=Professional%2BCollection&cat2=&q=&st=1) and Framus Accerman Jubilee -74 (http://www.framus.com/ak1974.htm) original, them ReIssues came along couple of years a go I think
, and a washburn N2 wich i did teh Scallope myself,
lets just say that i wont be "experimenting" like that no more, lol, originally i wanted the
Bill Lawrence L-500 mic but i couldnt find it i bought the N2 secondhand to get the mic.
Very agressive mic btw, and the N2 is a good guitar but has bad parts,except the mics.
Maybe someday i'll get me N4, that would be cool.

My main amp is 5150® 212 Combo (http://www.peavey.com/products/shop_online/browse.cfm/action/details/item/00328110/wc/1A1B221/fam/TA/tcode/1/5150.cfm) which is perfect all aroundkinda amp for me, a bit Heavy to carry so
I had to install handles on both ends.
Also, i was lucky to get Fender Bassman The Blonde (http://www.ampwares.com/ffg/bassman_blonde_6G6.html) seconhand relativly cheap,
it sounds great with Gresch/Framus and my
Roland RE-201 Space Echo (http://www.foi.hr/~rlogozar/mbsn1/AnalogSynthsRolandTapeEchoes.html), Rockabilly rules allright...

I had Marshall JCM800 stack but then sold the head and got me a Metaltronix M - 1000 (http://www.leejackson.com/MTX.htm) head,
which is rather funny sounding amp, he he, lotsa grit on yer face.

But basically these days i've been playing with the old trusty RootBeer and 5150,
got Ibanez Tube-Screamer-808 before the signal goes to amp and thats just about all
there is to it.
That TS-808 is cool, i can get very smooth sound without playing extremely loud,
it cuts off the Bass a lot thus the sound dont travel all over the building, making the living
for my neighbours much easier, plus, having just a touch gain on the amp and running
the signal hard in with the 808 gives teh funny "ooomphhhh", like a round sound....
dam im hooked on it.

Yeah, i like Malmsteens first 4 albums, but then it got kinda tedious,
Racer X is funny to listen also, but i prefer Gilberts solos over RX anyway.
I also like Bettencourts playing a lot, i wonder what he's upto these days,
he could make some more funky stuff.

I think it was Jose Satriani who gave dr. Vai some lessons way back then,
not too many guys know that John Norum gave some lessons to Malmsteen also,
Final Countdown anyone? Well, i could be wrong about that so
dont take my word on it.
Norum has some interesting Solo albums out too. I kinda like his way of playing too.

Also, i read somewhere Michael Schenker was giving lessons for
measely 400$ per hour, but i guess maybe he just wanted to have some
piece off from ppl and put ap a ridicilous price per hour.
He he, lotsa funny hearsay going on, Hot damn Google is your friend.

Btw, im on SS so if you want any of these albums i mentioned,
check the pinned and get busy.

Turkishjade
07-07-2004, 09:34 PM
Hot damn! You have had and have a lot of equipment! Other than my 2 Ibanez axes, I once owned a Steinberger (the pre-Gibson kind with the transtrem bridge, no body and all graphite neck.) It was cool and the neck was amazingly fast, but it had no bottom end. My favorite band is Tool, so you can tell that I like a little heaviness in my music and I don't want to rely on EQ. I sold it after the first gig I took it to.

I'll never understand how an imported guitar with duties and taxes to be paid still comes out cheaper than a US product that just has to get on a truck. But hey, you can't beat a deal like an Ibanez. Nearly all of their models are worth twice what it costs! Oh, my 777 (http://www.jemsite.com/axes/model/jem777vbk.htm) although my knobs aren't that color and my MMM (http://www.ibanezrules.com/new/mmm1mol.htm)

I have Peavy Triple X heads and cabinets. Before that, I used to just plug directly into the board at gigs ( everyone hated me, but I had a good DI box with Amp modelling on it back then, I think by TC, so I didn't care.)

That's it. 2 axes, 12 pedals, 2 heads, 4 cabs. That and a Roland VDrum kit. I wish I had more equipment, but I know how lazy I am, I would never bother to carry it to any gig.

I have all of the old guitar god albums (on vinyl :huh: ), but I still have a few good years left on my record player, so it's good. I've not tried SS though, I'll try to set that up.

I saw on VH1 Band ReUnited : Extreme (http://www.vh1.com/shows/dyn/bands_reunited/74722/episode.jhtml), that Bettencourt run's some kind of farm. Dude, I shit you not, I think he's raising llamas or some shit like that for the wool. But he still looked good. Cherone was kind of a dick though.

You know, thinking back, if I was starting out and wanted to learn how to play guitar from any one of the guitar gods I used to listen to, I would want Tony Iommi. I mean, dude, he only had like 4 and a half fingers. Now that's talent! :blink:

Afronaut
07-07-2004, 10:16 PM
That MMM looks nasty, what key you tune it?
Its Baritone so i guess it goes maybe C or so?

And;

That's it. 2 axes, 12 pedals, 2 heads, 4 cabs. That and a Roland VDrum kit

That is a lot of gear too... he he.

I dunno how old you are but i think that Tool kinda vibe wont last forever,
eventually you will get interested in other type of music too,
and maybe want yourself a Acoustic or something....
:P

That Nuno, i think he got married and that's it.
Sometimes that's all it takes to slow down a man for awhile.
I hope he makes some records later tho. (not More Than Words type of stuff either)
And wtf, Lamas? Hellooo....

As for Gary Cherone, he was on Van Halen for awhile when Sammy split,
or did he got the boot, who knows, but now it seems Hagar is bag on VH and
Eddie is done with the Tongue Cancer he had sometime ago so they
are making a new album again, which is cool, as long as they steer
the fuck away from that religious crap, pisses me off big time.
I think Cherone can sure sing but i just dont like the voice, a bit too thin
for my liking, should have more hair-in-the-chest-kinda-voice,
maybe ask David Lee Roth for some tips, he he,...
few bottles of Jack Daniels oughta help.

Tony Iommi is the Gran-Daddy of riffin', no doubt about that.
lately i've been listenin a lot that Heaven and Hell song,
really good riffs innit.
But i think Django Reinhardt (http://http://www.redhotjazz.com/django.html) could p4wn Tony for in the Cripple Blues Festival anyday:

...Django created a whole new fingering system built around the two fingers on his left hand that had full mobility. His fourth and fifth digits of the left hand were permanently curled towards the palm due to the tendons shrinking from the heat of the fire. He could use them on the first two strings of the guitar for chords and octaves but complete extension of these fingers was impossible. His soloing was all done with the index and middle fingers!...

...that is, if he was still alive and my stupid joke about the festivities would take place.
;)

Hows that about Gossip?

Man, dont get me started on Lars Johann Yngve Malmsteen,
now there is a truly "difficult" guitarist, he chances bandmates like
socks...

lee551
07-07-2004, 11:57 PM
that is a NICE ibanez jem slinger B)

Turkishjade
07-08-2004, 02:17 AM
Guitar Slinger: Actually drop D since all of my mental patterns are based on it. And at 33, I'm too set in my ways to do anything else. Between waiting to get called out to Iraq (maybe) and gambling, I don't want to have to think about a new tuning system right now. Switching between 6 strings(Steinberger) to 7 strings(777) to 6 strings(MMM) in my lifetime has used up whatever new pathways were possible in my nut.

As far as Tool loyalty goes, I admit, I like Tool for the Bass and Drum work. I'm a fan of the drummer. That's why I'll never get tired of it. The guitar stuff in Tool I do only when I get frustrated by a drum part I can't do. Plus, Maynard can sing his ass off. Listen to "46 and 2" from Aenima by Tool or "The Package" from Thirteen Steps by A Perfect Circle (Another one of Maynard's Bands) to see what I'm talking about.....and listen to the drums and bass and vocal before the guitar.

As far as a lot of equipment, weeelllll: I could fit it all (including the drum kit) in to the trunk and backseat of my car. That's got to count for something right? :D

I just talked to my current significant other and she corrected me. Gary is the one raising llamas and wasn't the deal breaker. Nuno was. He actually got pissed off a little in that episode and I got the feeling that he isn't doing well. Don't expect anything from him other than an obit. Seems that "More than Words" was a fluke, they wanted to be known as a hard band and that slow song becoming their "Hit" messed with all of the band members and made them split. :(

As far as Cherone, his voice had it's place, but you are right, the ONLY good singer in Van Halen was David Lee. I keep hearing "Drop Dead Legs" from 1984 playing in my head over and over again. Fuck, now I gotta bring that vinyl out too. Damn you Slinger! :frusty:

Django is teh shit, no doubt. But I was disappointed when I bought the collection since all the songs were only 2 minutes or so each. Considering his music was supposed to be "dance" music back then, 2 minutes seems kinda short. But given he only had 2 good frettin fingers, I guess it was a matter of endurance. Doesn't matter, I probably couldn't get the feel right anyway. (This coming from someone who studied Paginini(sp?) in order to learn the Crossroads duel, and still thinks he would be to hard to learn :blink: )

Oh, and as far as an acoustic is concerned, I like 12's on my axe, I shudder to think what guage I would want on an acoustic. I remember someone telling me that to get the feel I want, I might damage the neck. Any advice? I want to use higher guage strings without screwing up the action ( I like it in the middle, not high )

Randomblonde
07-08-2004, 09:03 AM
alot of people start with nirvana. i started with hole.... grunge is good for basic stuff. whatever turns you on.

Afronaut
07-08-2004, 09:10 AM
I got a Video of Brian Setzer playing on aG6144 Spectra Sonic C-Melody Baritone (http://www.gretschguitars.com/gear/index.php?product=G6144&cat1=Professional+Collection&cat2=&q=&st=1),
I thought your MMM was similar stuff.

When i got the 7-stringer, I had to "break it in" for me by learning the solo
from Dream Theaters song Caught in a Web (album Awake). The ending of the solo
still is a bit too fast for me to play thought.
Took some time but it was worth it, 7 stringer is no longer such a
strange instrument to play. The funny thing about it is, after playing about an hour,
play the 6 stringer and it feels like "OMG, i can do Anything with this"
:lol: (the feeling last only few chords tho)

Sometimes, not so often i tune a guitar to E-chord (dropping it to D-chord sometimes too)
to do some Slide stuff but thats not really often tho,
other than that i got regular tunings.
Maybe drop-D accatinalyy also. And Eb if im playing along with some CD's
that has that tuning.

I've been playing with a local orchestra, about 40 ppl, up to 65 max when ppl
do show up, he he, and since its about Big Band stuff, horns and all that,
a lot of songs goes on the Eb or Ab instead of E or A.
I thought of tuning a guitar half step down but we got also songs in C D and G.
And i wasnt really into dragging shitload of gear for practise sessions.
Im lazy as hell also. :lol:
It has helped a lot play things in those flat-keys, I recommend anyone to
try that stuff, makes one think about the neck, so to speak.

Where do you put the Triple X's and cabinets when you need 'em?
I got 2 Marshall 1960 cabs and the reason i got the 5150 combo is,
i dont need a Van to get that gear on the road.
The gear i use is mostly 2 guitars (1 for back up), one amp and that
usually fits into my car. I dont have a Van, even tho the idea of getting
one is cool but im short of cash, always.
If i get few extra bucks on the account, im off to buy more "gear",
and im not talking about Cars here... its a curse i think.

About Halen, i got the Gene Simmons Demo -79 tape some weeks ago,
i keep listening that a lot and digging it.
it has that sort of Practising Session/Demo sound but still,
its a good one. Good songs, House of Pain that made to 1984 there too.
No wonder they got the record deal.

I use about '10 on the six stringers electrics, about 11's on acoustic (that fat string is hard to find here)
and '9 for the 7 stringer Universe.

Them acoustic guitars are a hassle, because of the intonation.
it gets easily fucked. I remember my 7 stringer ac. been in extremely in tune
(for an acoustic) when i bought it and nowadays its off. Cant be arsed to try to fix it yet...
I guess the woods live etc. Them string gauge, even '13s should not pull the
nack that bad, and there's always the truss-rod to fix that.
S guess its more of a Try-before-Buy, just like electrics.
Even same Models of guitars can be so diffefferent sometimes,
with tuning and the sound. Somebody should come up with a nice way to
set the intonation on acoustics, maybe on the headstock or something.
Thats the real setback on those guitars imo.

There's also the Buzz Feiten (http://www.buzzfeiten.com/) tuning method
that looks interesting.
I'd like to see some of those guitars just for the hell of it,
does it really make such a big difference. Especially the Acoustics.

Turkishjade
07-08-2004, 03:48 PM
The MMM is a denser guitar, so it has a little more sustain and a naturally dark tone. Very heavy though. But that's good exercise, right?

For a time, I tried different tunings. My favorite was the tuning for "The Rain Song" by Zep. I have written at least 5 songs based on this alternate tuning.

I have a half stack setup, so the cabs fit in the back seat and the heads fit in the trunk. You know, I would pay good money for a company like Bose to develop some type of cabinet that could fit into a backpack but would power a small venue and still have power and clarity. I know the technology is out there.

I'm still afraid of an acoustic, though. I heard you have to worry about humidity, neck problems, that it's easily damaged. I don't know if I want to invest the money on something so fragile. When I need a nice bright acoustic sound I usually use my friends Digitech: is there really a big difference in sound? I assume that the setting on his Digitech (which cost him 800) should sound like a top of the line acoustic, no?

That device seems cool, but I would be scared to death of someone playing around with an experimental nut. Like, they might have to route into the neck to make it fit and make it so that if I change my mind, I can't get the original nut back.

I'm searching for the Halen Demo now...I had no idea it was even out there! I'm going to look for other band's demos too. Who would have thought that bands would even let that stuff leak out?

Afronaut
07-12-2004, 03:36 AM
Some electric guitars has the Piezo mic for ,kinda like Acoustic sound, pre-installed.
Ibanez has 'em atleast.
A friend of mine has the Musci Man Petrucci 7 stringer, that one has the Piezo also,
is one of the finest instruments i've ever layd my little fingers on.
Very expensive tho, especially his Model, its really authentic, straight from teh factory,
with that weird paint also...

I guess there should be some sort Bridges-With-Piezo for sales,
one could do a little Googling about it...

And your right, the´m Acoustics are reallt fragile to own,
eventually they get out of tune somehow.
Wood lives.

I dont know much about Modelling or Digi Effects, I dont use them much.
I saw one POD in one Studio, it had the 5150 and the Mesa Rectumfire "modellin",
We used it to record some tracks and they sounded hella-crappy.

Them transistors or CPU's cannot yet replicate what happens in a Tube.
Its pretty OK for really clean guitar sounds, but if im trying to get some pinch-harmonics
etc out of it, there is no baws.
Especially the High End of the sound in those modelling stuff has always been reallt weak.

But, its been couple of years since i've tried that POD, so there might be something
better out there.

I saw Line6 Vetta sometime ago, it did sound good enough to take on a gig,
on a gig not too many folks "hear" teh difference ---> too busy with beers,
and it has huuuuge amount of sounds innit, and effects and all the shitz,
but i wouldnt record with it if i had my 5150 around.

Snee
07-12-2004, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by me
Guitar chord Crash course program (http://www.hotdownloads.com/index.php3?job=3&id=51621)

homepage^ (http://www.bincsoft.com/)

Afronaut
07-12-2004, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by SnnY+12 July 2004 - 13:58--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (SnnY @ 12 July 2004 - 13:58)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-me
Guitar chord Crash course program (http://www.hotdownloads.com/index.php3?job=3&id=51621)

homepage^ (http://www.bincsoft.com/) [/b][/quote]
So, you just walzed in and p4wnd all teh FancyPancyTechTalk we was having...

Snee
07-12-2004, 01:49 PM
I pawned it, for a grand total of £2. :D

Dunno&#39; if that&#39;s helpful, but I tend to post it whenever someone asks for guitar help, &#39;cos it prolly doesn&#39;t hurt.

Incidentally, I just noticed they&#39;ve changed the site

type: freeware
price: 8&#036;

:blink:

Nothing of that on the homepage link tho&#39;.

Dunno&#39; why i had the first one

KurtCocain
07-12-2004, 02:30 PM
SillyRumours ,

I&#39;d really recommend you to try some NIRVANA songs. They&#39;re very easy and many people have started with them. I dont know into what kinda music u r in but .. Well I started this spring and I can recoomend you:

NIrvana:
Something in the Way
Polly
Come as you are
Drain you
Smells like teen Spirit

Thats good for a start...