PDA

View Full Version : Room Heat Issues

bigdawgfoxx
07-07-2004, 05:38 AM
Hey! My room gets pretty warm when I have the monitor and computer on. At night I turn my monitor off, (and during the day when im not on it) and it cools it off a little, but my computer is putting off a lot of heat also.

You think putting it back at 2500 speeds and disabling all the fans on it would help cool it down some?

ck-uk
07-07-2004, 06:21 AM
in a small room,bedroom,their aint alot you can do!,bdf!!!

maybe take the side panel of now n again!!! :unsure:

tesco
07-07-2004, 06:41 AM
What's your CPU temp?

Since getting my temp so much lower than the old 50 degrees my comp hasn't heated my room up too much anymore, but on really hot days it does. :(

nothing really u can do except maybe take teh oc off and try to lower your vcore to make it run cooler. ;)

lynx
07-07-2004, 08:25 AM
Actually, you need to consider the extra heat given out by the CPU and chipset by overclocking rather than running at stock speed. I think you'll find it is about 50W, which is far less than the monitor is giving out. You should certainly set your power settings to switch the monitor off after a couple of minutes idle, it is surprising how much difference that makes compared to one which is on most of the time, although I suspect you've already got a setting something approaching that.

What else is giving off heat in the room?

Light bulbs? Replacing a standard 100W bulb with a low power equivalent will save about 80W, all heat.

Sound system? A good sound system can easily give off up to 30W in heat, even when "idle", another item you should consider turning off when not in use.

Oh, and move to Alaska, it's a lot cooler there. :lol:

Edit: btw, I opened the window at about the time I first posted the above. In the hour since, my mobo temp has dropped 2C and my hdd temp has dropped 4C.

Oh, and the biggest heat source in the room is....

You. :rolleyes:

Storm
07-07-2004, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by ck-uk@7 July 2004 - 07:29
in a small room,bedroom,their aint alot you can do!,bdf!!!

maybe take the side panel of now n again!!! :unsure:
now how the hell will that help cool down the room????

it will help cool down the comp (and thus HEAT UP the room a lil more)

Storm
07-07-2004, 10:16 AM
btw, BDF if you have the cash, you could go for an airco (obviously)

bigdawgfoxx
07-08-2004, 12:24 AM
I duno what an Airco is lol

My room has like a 14 feet ceiling or so...its pretty large...

I have NO lights, and a SMALL 4.1 System in it..The monitor is the most heat obviously, but I turn that off everytime im not sitting in front of it. So the computer must be giving off a lot.

I think if I turn it down to a 2500XP, lower Vcore to about 1.6 again that I can turn the 2 intake and 2 exhaust fans off, and still be fine. I never run it full load and right now at 3200XP it is only at 37....

All the stuff about how big your room is and stuff kinda makes me wana make a thread where we all display pics of us, maybe some friends and our room, or stuff we do for a hobbie...hope vb dont move it tho...oh well

lynx
07-08-2004, 01:05 AM
Think of your room as a big computer case.

What you need is airflow, but without fans, not always easy to achieve.

BTW, airco = air conditioning.

bigdawgfoxx
07-08-2004, 01:26 AM
I dont like the new stars at all..And we just spent 4,000 fixin our AC lol...my room just stays warmer...I duno why...

Storm
07-08-2004, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by bigdawgfoxx@8 July 2004 - 02:34
I dont like the new stars at all..And we just spent 4,000 fixin our AC lol...my room just stays warmer...I duno why...
do you have windows open and such??? thatll kill your airco........

btw, a good airco should easily cancell out the heat your comp produces, unless you're in a really warm country.......

bigdawgfoxx
07-08-2004, 02:16 PM
Well I live in texas its like 95 here lol

Spicker
07-08-2004, 03:14 PM
ummm this might work... dont fart in the room :01: :lol:

Storm
07-08-2004, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by bigdawgfoxx@8 July 2004 - 15:24
Well I live in texas its like 95 here lol
sell ice cream on the streets and buy a huge airco from the money you make offa it :lol:

kaiweiler
07-08-2004, 05:08 PM
Hey bigdawg, I've got the same processor as you, with an even higher overclock and I hardley notice any room temp difference from when I had it at stock settings. I believe it may lower your room temp by a degree or so, but probably not anything hugely noticable.
Your monitor is definatly the culprit here, as lynx said maybe instead of using a screensaver, just set your monitor to go to standby when idle for ** minutes. unless you've alredy done so.

bigdawgfoxx
07-09-2004, 04:18 AM
I just push the power button on my screen when I leave the room...and turn it on when I enter the room lol

tesco
07-09-2004, 04:32 AM
Originally posted by bigdawgfoxx@8 July 2004 - 23:26
I just push the power button on my screen when I leave the room...and turn it on when I enter the room lol
That's what i do too B)

lynx
07-09-2004, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004+9 July 2004 - 04:40--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ROSSCO_2004 @ 9 July 2004 - 04:40)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-bigdawgfoxx@8 July 2004 - 23:26
That&#39;s what i do too B) [/b][/quote]
Why not simply configure power management, it will do it for you. Then you&#39;ll never forget or not bother because you are only going to be out for a few seconds (and actually come back several hours later).

tesco
07-09-2004, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by lynx+9 July 2004 - 06:13--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (lynx @ 9 July 2004 - 06:13)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@9 July 2004 - 04:40
<!--QuoteBegin-bigdawgfoxx@8 July 2004 - 23:26
That&#39;s what i do too B)
Why not simply configure power management, it will do it for you. Then you&#39;ll never forget or not bother because you are only going to be out for a few seconds (and actually come back several hours later). [/b][/quote]
Becuase i like the monitor always on if i am in the room and always off if i leave...

Im thinking of setting up some sort of sensor...lol.

Storm
07-09-2004, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@9 July 2004 - 17:25
Im thinking of setting up some sort of sensor...lol.
haha....... thatll be fun..... if you sit still thinkin or sum else for a moment, the monitor switches of...... and on, and of......... kinda like doors in a mall if you stand in front of them..........

thatll be fun playing games........ you die, wait a sec to respawn, monitor switches of, and by the time it switches on again, your dead <_<