PDA

View Full Version : I'm Recordin Onto A Vcr With A Tv-out

Confuzzled
03-20-2003, 07:31 PM
So I am recordin a movie onto a VCR.. I am usin a TV out with my pc.. everything I am certain is hooked up correctly.. on the TV it shows color.. but its recordin in black & white.. :blink: um.. :blink: is this supposed to happen ??? Audio id fins.... Any help would be very much appriciated... thanks.... :unsure: :)

*lemme rephrase that.. it shows color whilst recording..but play-back is in black in white... :blink:

mikharris
03-20-2003, 07:42 PM
wrong format ntsc or pal?

Confuzzled
03-20-2003, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by mikharris@20 March 2003 - 20:42
Um... :blink: ... I am not sure exactly what you mean.... could you please explain what exactly pal and ntsc mean.... I know when I transfer something to vcd I hafta put that accordin to fps.... but is there something I missed that has to do with the tv or somethin... :blink: ... wow I am confuzzled..... :unsure:

Confuzzled
03-20-2003, 08:56 PM
I just read this on another site.. could any of these be my problem ???

From site-

Normal VHS VCRs do not have S-video inputs. If you try to feed S-video to them, you get black & white picture.

^ I have the s-vid plug into converter thing adapter you know... and it turns into a/v or rca connections whatever you call em... and that end goes into the TV... everything sorks GREAT.... but when I record.. black n white... :blink:

From Site- Other possible problems is wrong color standard
for VCR. Your TV might be multi-norm TV, but
your VCR most propably is not.

^ Ummm... say wha ..... ??? :blink:

From Site- Then there is the possibility of Macrovision

^ Umm.... again I say..... "say wha... ???" :blink:

From Site- Do the connection with composite video cable and
check the card settings carefully that you have right TV standard selected.

^ Um.. I guess I'' go check my settings.... :unsure:

accat13
03-20-2003, 08:58 PM
Confuzzled Posted on 20 March 2003 - 14:45
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QUOTE (mikharris @ 20 March 2003 - 20:42)

Um...  ... I am not sure exactly what you mean.... could you please explain what exactly pal and ntsc mean....  Look up your definition of pal and ntsc here dvdrhelp (http://www.dvdrhelp.com/glossary)

Confuzzled
03-20-2003, 09:00 PM
THANKS ACCAT13 !!! :D :D :D

Confuzzled
03-20-2003, 09:06 PM
*Confuzzled bangs head on desk and runs in horror ... :blink: ... :unsure: ...

Confuzzled
03-20-2003, 09:58 PM
I hav reasons to believe some evil force from beyond the grave doesn't want me to figure this out.... :ph34r:

ShareDaddy
03-20-2003, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by Confuzzled@20 March 2003 - 16:58
I hav reasons to believe some evil force from beyond the grave doesn't want me to figure this out.... :ph34r:
I do in fact believe you may have the most apt user name ever known to frequent a forum. You have even begun to confuzzle me and that is saying something. :D

Your converter thing you mentioned. Is it a box and is it powered? That is does your converter need to be plugged into an outlet for it's own power source or is it just a box? Not sure if that would have anything to do with, if you can see color on your tv but not your VCR then it may have something to do with signal strength.

If I connect a 50 foot S-video cable from my PC to the TV it will be in black and white, 12 foot is perfect color and if I use a powered converter box color with my 50 footer. However if you see color on your TV it should in theory record in color, at least from my expereince, however I have never even thought to record any of my digitial media on to ancient video tape.

Confuzzled
03-20-2003, 10:40 PM
LOL !!! :D Well.... its actually.. excuse my confuzzling um.. descrpition of it.. I got it confuzzled with somethin else... :unsure: ... Okay lemme restart...*slaps self on forehead...I plug one end of the s-vid into the pc tv out thing... then the other s-vid end I plug into ...well... its like a little connector that I plug a s-vid into...its kinda looks like a splitter in a way if that helps... and on the on other side i have a video in/out thing.. and it goes into the video of my vcr .. and the audio connections I plug into my speakers... I have the L/R plugged into this thing that makes it a single connection... then the other L/R audio connections go into my vcr.. ... the cord from my pc to my vcr is about... 10 to 12 feet long... Oh and no there isn't an adapter or anything that needs to go plugged in for the connector thing...

Well... I do convert things to vcd as well as vhs... I just wanted to record my tmd movies to vhs .. then when I get ahold of the dvd rips or dvd screeners of them.. put them on vcd.... LOL !!! Ancient video tape... *Confuzzled enters cave.... opens tomb and pulls out vhs tapes.... :D

*Oh and.... thanks for the info !!! :)

leecheskicked
03-21-2003, 05:36 PM
AAAAAAAH!!! that would be in red if I could work out how to change the text colour. Firstly, odds are you've got the format set wrong, if u are recording to a pal video recorder your output has to be pal, same for yank crap, sorry meant to say NTSC. go to the TV out settings on your video card, it will be hidden somewhere under Advanced, why something as bloody simple as picture format qualifies as advanced I'll never know.

Secondly, this adapter is it a scart block. I suspect it isn't as you sem to have a mono audio input on your vcr, if that is the case u are probably trying to put svha into a composite video input, just to confuzzle u some more, it's not RGB, 3 BNC fittings is it? If it is I could suggest how to fix the problem but I would rather give u the money to buy a new VCR and give that antique back to Noah's other sons!

I dread to think what's coming next lol

give me a chance to get a beer before the next instalment (B)

ShareDaddy
03-21-2003, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by Confuzzled@20 March 2003 - 17:40
LOL !!! :D Well.... its actually.. excuse my confuzzling um.. descrpition of it.. I got it confuzzled with somethin else... :unsure: ... Okay lemme restart...*slaps self on forehead...I plug one end of the s-vid into the pc tv out thing... then the other s-vid end I plug into ...well... its like a little connector that I plug a s-vid into...its kinda looks like a splitter in a way if that helps... and on the on other side i have a video in/out thing.. and it goes into the video of my vcr .. and the audio connections I plug into my speakers... I have the L/R plugged into this thing that makes it a single connection... then the other L/R audio connections go into my vcr.. ... the cord from my pc to my vcr is about... 10 to 12 feet long... Oh and no there isn't an adapter or anything that needs to go plugged in for the connector thing...

Well... I do convert things to vcd as well as vhs... I just wanted to record my tmd movies to vhs .. then when I get ahold of the dvd rips or dvd screeners of them.. put them on vcd.... LOL !!! Ancient video tape... *Confuzzled enters cave.... opens tomb and pulls out vhs tapes.... :D

*Oh and.... thanks for the info !!! :)
:lol: I love it when a post can make me smirk and giggle while reading, throughout the entire thing. Confuzzled has done it again. :lol:

I think leecheskicked may have some good ideas on what may be causing your issue, hopefully he helped as most assuredly I seem to have failed. However I do beleive that what I mentioned can and will cause issues with someone so hopefully it solves somebody's problem sometime. :)

Over and out.

(leaves computer and climbs back on to couch, searches for remote control stuck between cushions, finds remote control and smiles while surfing cable channels)

leecheskicked
03-22-2003, 12:14 AM
one other thought, i've seen colour picture while taping, but playback B&W once before but that was copying a dvd to vhs, no pc involved, it had something to do with protection on the dvd, i think. I suppose in theory the dvd may have been ripped without the protection being removed, unlikely I should think but posible.

metalrebelzz
03-22-2003, 02:24 AM
my best guess is that your VCR is "old and archaic" and cannot record in COLOR!!!!!!!!!

it doesn't have ANYTHING to do with NTSC and PAL.....
if he has it in color when he's playing it, then it's fine how it is....

tried to understand your description of your connections, which was.......very fun...........

first off, from what I can determine, you're running an S-Video out from your PC to a converter to a composite cable into your VCR......

also, you're running a 1/8th inch cable from the comp to stereo RCA into the VCR......

IF I have this all correct, then here's my idea....

all in all, a pretty good plan.....
your VCR has stereo inputs but no S-Video in, it must be a bit old......

I've never seen a configuration like yours before......
anyways, I'd suggest that if you're going to do your audio connections RCA, why not do the video too????
go buy a converter for S-Video to RCA, they're not that much.....

then, just plug our S_Video from your PC into the converter, run a cord from the converter to your VCR (make sure they're both on the same input......it should look something like this

Audio Video
| L | R | |
input 1 | | | |
|--------- |-----------|-------------|
| | | |
input 2 | | | |
| | | |
--------------------------------------------------------

make sure you put them all on the same input........

also, in case you don't know, red is left and white is right.....

hope this helps..... :D :beerchug: cheers

Confuzzled
03-22-2003, 07:26 AM
THANKS SOO MUCH TO ALL OF YA'LL FOR REPLYIN AND FOR THE HELP !!! I have a newer vcr ... I will try it with that one... tomarrow... and I will try the things ya'll have said.... well try... if I don't get confuzzled... :blink: ... I'll post how it went... :blink: :lol:

Confuzzled
03-28-2003, 05:41 AM
Okay.. I read my explaination of the connections i have.. and well... I confuzzled even me... :blink:

So allow me to disturb everyone yet again and re-explain them... :blink:

Okay.... Video(S-video)...From the out of the Video card... it goes this little thing it plugs into... then on the other side of this thing... is a RCA Video connection.. (I guess thats what you call it...) well it goes from the connectoer thing ... into the vcr in... then for the audio... it goes from my speaker headphone plug in.. I have this thing that joins them together... then it goes to the in of my vcr. Audio, perfect, video perfect..... then I record... :blink: .... the audio is fine.. but the video is in black and white... :blink: :

Okay now I think that is a bit more understandable.. :blink: I need to find the name of the little connector thing I have so that I can refer to it by its name and not um... "thing."

The NTSC is set right... um leecheskicked.. I don't even know what these are... "RGB, 3 BNC," lol !

LOL ShareDaddy... :lol: , I am glad I am amusing.. or just so stupid its amusing...lol :lol: .

I am gonna try to connect it directly to the Tv and see if this helps... :blink:

Oh and the creepy thing is ... I just bought this VCR, it was like 70 bucks.. a TOSHIBA... very good...but no s-vid... :blink:

sred2003
03-28-2003, 05:47 AM
i have done exactly what you are trying to do
i went directly from my vid card to vcr rca inputs(audio video)
then put the vcr on aux or video2 or whatever it has for the input
then tv on channel 4 of course and it recorded fine

Confuzzled
03-28-2003, 05:50 AM
Originally posted by sred2003@28 March 2003 - 06:47
i have done exactly what you are trying to do
i went directly from my vid card to vcr rca inputs(audio video)
then put the vcr on aux or video2 or whatever it has for the input
then tv on channel 4 of course and it recorded fine
So like dude.. you have it set up the same as me.. and it works fine ??? :blink:

sred2003
03-28-2003, 05:55 AM
yeah and mine worked the first time.
so i am thinking it might be a problem with the vcr.

Confuzzled
03-28-2003, 05:59 AM
So scratch me connecting it directly to my tv.. cuz when i do that i dunno how to set it up to record.... the tv i hav it set up to right now is well... pretty old ... could that have anything to do with it... ??? :ermm: >_< :&#39;( :wacko: Okay I just discovered these emoticons.... lol.. I had to use them..

Confuzzled
03-28-2003, 06:02 AM
Originally posted by sred2003@28 March 2003 - 06:55
yeah and mine worked the first time.
so i am thinking it might be a problem with the vcr.
ARGH &#33;&#33;&#33; :pirate: EVILLL &#33;&#33;&#33; EVIILLLL &#33;&#33;&#33; No, not you..lol... the fact that its not working... hmm.. this is my second VCR to try it with... AHHHHHHH &#33;&#33;&#33; Thanks &#33;&#33;&#33; :) :alien:

sred2003
03-28-2003, 06:05 AM
you cant record with it connected directly to tv because the vcr will only
record channel 3 or 4 it wont record the tvs input if it is in color when
you watch it but the tape is black and white after its recorded
then the vcr is fooked up. because if it was your cables that were bad
it wouldnt show color even when you watch it.

Confuzzled
03-28-2003, 06:12 AM
Originally posted by sred2003@28 March 2003 - 07:05
you cant record with it connected directly to tv because the vcr will only
record channel 3 or 4 it wont record the tvs input if it is in color when
you watch it but the tape is black and white after its recorded
then the vcr is fooked up.&nbsp; because if it was your cables that were bad
it wouldnt show color even when you watch it.
Thanks for the info.. well this bites.. basically I need to by a new VCR.. :wacko: ... THIS STINX &#33;&#33; I JUST BOUGHT THIS ONE &#33;&#33; AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH &#33;&#33;
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH &#33;&#33;&#33; AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH &#33;&#33;&#33;
Okay I am done... :&#39;(

Confuzzled
03-28-2003, 07:12 AM
So what kinda VCR do I need to buy then ???

sred2003
03-28-2003, 01:41 PM
dude just get a new vcr any one should work but keep your receipt
in case it does the same thing then you can return it.
or go to www.vcdhelp.com they have lots of info and probably a solution.
there forums a really helpful also.

Skillian
03-28-2003, 02:16 PM
I&#39;d agree about asking at the forums at www.vcdhelp.com (www.dvdrhelp.com). They know their stuff and you don&#39;t wanna splash out on another new VCR if you don&#39;t have to.

Confuzzled
03-28-2003, 07:42 PM
Thanks &#33;&#33;&#33; :D

Confuzzled
03-30-2003, 01:38 AM
Hey sred2003, i am headin over to that site.. but i got to wondering.. what kinda vcr do you hav ?

sred2003
03-30-2003, 05:57 AM
its a magnavox but dude all vcrs should work if they have an input
as a matter of fact im gonna go find the solution to your prob
because i am ub3r nice.
and bored.

sred2003
03-30-2003, 06:12 AM
okay confuzzled i think i got it. read this entire thread im about to post.
the guy had same problem and it loos like he solved it.
http://www.dvdrhelp.com/forum/viewtopic.ph...vcr+black+white (http://www.dvdrhelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=122931&highlight=vcr+black+white)

Confuzzled
03-30-2003, 09:17 AM
THANKS DUDE &#33;&#33;&#33; Your are definitly ub3r nice ... :) I am gonna go check that site out... THANKS AGAIN SO MUCH &#33;&#33;&#33; :D

Confuzzled
03-30-2003, 09:31 PM
So basically... I need to change my vid-cards format to PAL ??? .... I must check it out.... :blink:

sred2003
03-31-2003, 12:33 AM
i thought it said he just turned the actual movie into pal format
you can convert the movie file to pal format. vcdhelp can teach you how.

Confuzzled
03-31-2003, 01:17 AM
Ooohhh... I misunderstood... :blink: I am new to this... THANKS &#33;&#33;&#33; :D

Confuzzled
03-31-2003, 02:33 AM
TThanks I really appriciate your help.. See I was trying to copy them off to vcr.. so i wouldnt have to mess with tmpngc.. bc if its damage I spend countless hours correxting the sync.. VCR way.. just paly and record... but when i convert it.. it gets all messed up.. I know how to fix it.. but I was trying to skip this on some movies...

But if I understood correctly.. I&#39;d have to convert to PAL with tmpngc.. wich if I am correct would make it out of sync anyway.. so I might as well jsut convert it o vcd if I am gonna hav to sync it regardless....

Did I understand correctly.. ? Or am I again.. confuzzled... anways.. thans SO much for all the help &#33;&#33;&#33; :)

sred2003
03-31-2003, 05:53 AM
no i think you are right. i read how converting to pal causes the movies
to be out of sync and fixing it sounded like a big freakin headache.
ya i would suggest converting to vcd i do the same. the only other option i can think of is to buy an american made vcr off the internet from an american store.

Confuzzled
03-31-2003, 07:39 AM
THANKS SOOOOOO MUCH FOR ALL YOUR HELP DUDE &#33;&#33;&#33; :D :D :D

Confuzzled
03-31-2003, 10:19 PM
SUPRISE &#33;&#33;&#33; :w00t: Its me again... I had tried my Sylvania, Funai, and Toshiba.. they didn&#39;t work... Well now I am trying my Sharp VCR in hopes that it may work... and now it is just like a blue screen on my tv... with this light translucent presence of the pc screen flying by .... and like... if I change the channels between AV and other.. i know it won&#39;t appear on other channels only on the AV ... but like when I change them... inbetween the changings I can see the screen.. but its in black in white.. do I need to change the cards format this time ? Could this VCR maybe work... :unsure:

Confuzzled
03-31-2003, 10:29 PM
IIIITTTTTSSSS BBBEEEEEIIIIIIINNNNGGGGG EEEEVVVVVIIIIIILLLLLL &#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; :&#39;(

Confuzzled
03-31-2003, 10:45 PM
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH &#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; :blink: :blink: :blink:

Now it like isn&#39;t really acknowledging the presence of the VCR & TV & stuff.. I tried a few different formats.. and like .. you know when you go to Settings.. then advanced ... then NView .. then under anaolog... I click clone .. clone.. and then it appears on the TV..and you see 2 little blue screens in properties window.. well.. it keeps going to a single one... like it forgets about the VCR and stuff.. and takes away the option of clone... under analog display... so I go to detect settings and it gives me the option again.. but it keeps changing.. WHY &#33;?&#33;?&#33;?&#33; :ph34r:

Confuzzled
03-31-2003, 11:06 PM
I SCARE EVEN MEEEEEEEEEE &#33;&#33; :blink: :blink: :blink: Now that I have the stupid connections on the IN of the VCR... maybe it will work.. :rolleyes:

But I gotta restart my PC to see...

EEEEEEEVVVVVVVVVIIIIIIIILLLLLLL &#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; :unsure:

Confuzzled
03-31-2003, 11:14 PM
WHOO HOO &#33;&#33;&#33; Now its on the screen and its acknowledging it groovy.. the stupid cord had also come undone... :rolleyes: I must seem like an idiot.. :blink: .. but I promise I&#39;m not.. :wacko:

Now its black N white .. and jumping down.. repeadetly.. I am gonna go mess with the format.. hopefully this will work... :unsure:

Skillian
03-31-2003, 11:16 PM
Can&#39;t help but I&#39;m following your progress and rooting for ya&#33;

Confuzzled
03-31-2003, 11:17 PM
YEAH &#33;&#33;&#33; WHOOOOOOO &#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; YEAH &#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; :D :D :D It was left in PAL format from earlier... I put it back in NTSC.. AND IT IS IN COLOR EVEN WHEN I RECORD &#33;&#33;&#33; SUUUCCCCEEEEESSSSS &#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; :D :D :lol: :lol: I AM SOO HAPPYY &#33;&#33; :&#39;(

Confuzzled
03-31-2003, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by Skillian@1 April 2003 - 00:16
Can&#39;t help but I&#39;m following your progress and rooting for ya&#33;
HEY THANKS DUDE &#33;&#33;&#33; :D AHHHH &#33;&#33;&#33; IT WORKS &#33;&#33;&#33; I AM SOOO HAPPPYYY &#33;&#33;&#33; :D I am sooo relieved..... :D

Skillian
03-31-2003, 11:32 PM
Man this is a happy moment&#33; :lol: The moral of the story is perseverance I guess :D

Congrats :beerchug:

Confuzzled
04-01-2003, 12:04 AM
:lol: Yups I think so &#33;&#33; THANKS &#33;&#33;&#33; :w00t: :D

But get this.. i was in the middle of FINALLY recording a movie.. and one of those stupid pop up ads jump up in the middle of the screen.. AHHHH &#33;&#33;&#33; perhaphs I need to post this question somewhere else.. but how do I get thos to stop.. I have cable net so I am always online... but these stupid advertismnet and such pop up adds just come on... even when I am not on a site... EEVVVIIIILL THERE ARE &#33;&#33;&#33; EEVVIIILLL &#33;&#33;&#33; :wacko: :spam:

Skillian
04-01-2003, 12:09 AM
You got yourself some spyware/adware - evil indeed&#33;

Get Spybot Search & Destroy (http://security.kolla.de/) or Adaware 6 (verified in software world somewhere), scan your system and banish the demons from your computer&#33;

gotcha
04-01-2003, 12:43 AM
Hi to all. Here is an answer from a real dumb computer and movie lover&#33;
I have an old and a new VCR, I have two T/Vs. I take my output from computer to one T/V with a Svideo lead and from the T/V to a VCR with RCA leads to the input of the VCR, so while I am watching the movie I am also recording it&#33;
Now the other T/V is older and has no Svideo output or input,so I take RCA leads (video & Sound&#33;) from the computer to the T/V and then RCA from the T/V to the VCR and while watching a movie from computer I am also recording that one&#33;
Of course I do not have to watch the movies it still works if I don&#39;t&#33;
Also I don&#39;t use both T/Vs and record at the same time,I can but would get two copies of the same movie&#33;
If this is too basic for any nerds to understand I am sorry,but it works&#33;
Of course you have to have a good video card mine is "Matrox,Marvel G450 eT/V and it is wonderful&#33;
Ta Ta Norman Howard

Confuzzled
04-01-2003, 02:55 AM
Originally posted by Skillian@1 April 2003 - 01:09
You got yourself some spyware/adware - evil indeed&#33;

Get Spybot Search & Destroy (http://security.kolla.de/) or Adaware 6 (verified in software world somewhere), scan your system and banish the demons from your computer&#33;
THANKS SOOO MUCH DUDE &#33;&#33;&#33; :D :D LOL&#33;&#33;&#33; :lol: THE DEMONS ARE GONE &#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;
MWAHAHAAHAHAH &#33;&#33;&#33; :flame:

And hey gotcha.. I believe gotcha.. (sorry i had to say that) ... but I am halfway asleep..
-_- I will read it when I am more awake... :lol:

candyman
04-01-2003, 04:51 AM
or instead of pissing about with software you could just pull the modem cable out?

sred2003
04-02-2003, 01:36 AM
hey confuzzeled GOOD JOB
its been nice workin with you

TeKeNKiD
04-02-2003, 05:23 AM
Depending on what media player you can adjust the size and ratio, I suggest you
use Media Player Classic, has a lot of options and good compatabiltiy. (PLz dont smirk im too
tired to know how to spell) :angry:

Confuzzled
04-02-2003, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by candyman@1 April 2003 - 05:51
or instead of pissing about with software you could just pull the modem cable out?
Thats true... but just in general its nice not having to mess with those stupid adds.

Confuzzled
04-02-2003, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by sred2003@2 April 2003 - 02:36
hey confuzzeled GOOD JOB
its been nice workin with you

Hey dude.. THANKS &#33;&#33;&#33; :) Its been nice workin with you too... you have been SOOO much help&#33;&#33;&#33; :D I believe I am no longer CONFUZZLED &#33;&#33;&#33; :D But no promises... :blink: