PDA

View Full Version : Difference In Graphical Quality Between Rf And Rca

Vamp
07-09-2004, 05:53 PM
When playing on a console, is there a noticeable difference between the quality through RF and RCA?

MicroScreen2
07-09-2004, 05:57 PM
rca?

i notice a big difference between AV scart and RF

Vamp
07-09-2004, 06:11 PM
Yeah, I think AV-Scart is the same thing basically (red, white and yellow, right?) I think Scart just allows you to plug RCA jakcs into your TV.

I just made the swap from RF to RCA now, never knowing that I could play RCA on my RCA-portless TV. I never thought of connecting RCA to the VCR RCA and then VCR- RF to the TV-RF, but it works, so yay! I think another reason why I never thought it would work, was because I never noticed the Input Select button on my VCR, but at least I can play games in better quality now!

MicroScreen2
07-09-2004, 06:22 PM
I wanna try VGA i reckon that would be even better :01:

colt45joe
07-09-2004, 10:07 PM
http://users.bigpond.net.au/paulgun/xbox/video/

muchspl2
07-09-2004, 10:46 PM
component > svid > composite (rca) > shit > rf

thats the order FYI

ck-uk
07-10-2004, 07:19 AM
no,hey, much!!

its rgb,svid..are about the same..then composite

3RA1N1AC
07-10-2004, 09:45 AM
we don't use RGB in the u.s. at least not commonly. our predominant component signal is YPbPr.

plain component is a bit better than s-video because it has better color separation. but i'm sure muchspl2 is referring to progressive scan and HDTV (aka "enhanced/high definition television") via component video, which is essentially VGA-quality and far better than s-video. apparently progressive scan is not commonly available in PAL regions. it's a shame, 'cause progressive scan dvd and games are a lovely sight.

here's some fairly straightforward info from NTSC-UK, a british site about importing Japan/USA games. americans often refer to progressive scan and HDTV interchangeably 'cause most progressive scan televisions are HDTV-compatible:

PROGRESSIVE SCAN INPUTS
- Available on Projectors and Plasmas

Some plasmas and projectors can take an image from a prog scan source and display it as was intended. The end result is far better than any internal deinterlacer.

The image can only be carried through a component or RGB signal through either phonos, BNC connectors or a D-Sub connector. Scarts inputs and s-video/composite signals do not carry a high enough bandwidth for a progressive scan picture.

Only the US and Japanese XBox can display Progressive scan. They use three phono plug component cables.

Only the US and Japanese Gamecube can display Progressive scan, but only for some games. They use either three component cables or a D-Sub cable using a component signal.

The US and Japanese PS2 can display Progressive scan but with Tekken 4 being the only title so far. They use three phono plug component cables.

Progressive scan inputs are only available on one CRT in the UK, the Toshiba Strata TVs which has component inputs for NTSC progressive scan. Some Loewe TVs can display progressive scan by VGA (see below).

Progressive scan is an excellent feature and is starting to be widely supported by games, especially on the XBox. There are also progressive scan DVD player that offer a better picture quality over standard interlaced models. If you can get progressive scan, it is a nice feature to have but until it becomes available on more CRT sets it will be unavailable to most people. The next cheapest way at the moment is a budget projector starting at £1,200. Alternatively, progressive scan can be obtained for some consoles by using VGA (See below).

HDTV
- Available on Projectors and Plasmas

HDTV is the next big step to improve the quality of TV broadcasts. It increases the amount of horizontal and vertical scanlines, giving a higher resolution and better picture, just like increasing the resolution on a PC monitor.

The technology requires a TV with HDTV capabilities to display the improved image. The service has been launched in the Japan and the US with some success and some parts of Europe and Australasia also have it. Unfortunately for the UK, the broadcasters seem more interested in supplying us with digital TV content than HDTV and this is unlikely to change for the short to medium term. Because of this, there are no HDTV enabled sets specifically released in this country.

However, many projectors and plasmas can display HDTV images as they are manufactured for a world-wide market. Both the XBox and the Gamecube can display HDTV images, but only for games which are specifically coded for them of which there are few at the moment. Typically these options are sadly removed for the Pal releases.

HDTV images can come in many flavours, but the most typical are 720p and 1080i. The numbers in these figures refer to the number of vertical scanlines displayed (standard NTSC just displays 480 lines on the screen) and the letter refers to either an interlaced or progressive picture. There is some argument over which is the better quality image, 1080i offers a higher resolution, but the progressive scan of 720p compensates for this.

Overall this option is a real luxury and until more games start supporting HDTV images, we can't recommend spending a large sum of money on a TV just for HDTV.

Although HDTV DVDs and television is some way off for the UK, the person with money to burn may want to look at getting a scaler to go with a projector or plasma such as the Iscan Pro. These devices cleverly increase the resolution of the image by calculating what the pixels in between. They are not cheap though and prices start at around £800 and rise sharply.

muchspl2
07-10-2004, 12:22 PM
correct, thanks for ^^
hopefully that will make more sense :)

MicroScreen2
07-10-2004, 12:46 PM
i meant RGB

i swear someone goes round editing my posts to make me look stupid :ph34r:

Twigboy
07-11-2004, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by Vamp@9 July 2004 - 18:19

I just made the swap from RF to RCA now, never knowing that I could play RCA on my RCA-portless TV. I never thought of connecting RCA to the VCR RCA and then VCR- RF to the TV-RF, but it works, so yay! I think another reason why I never thought it would work, was because I never noticed the Input Select button on my VCR, but at least I can play games in better quality now!
I don't think they'll be any diffrence in picture quality,your basically feeding the signal back into a RF hookup.

SingaBoiy
07-11-2004, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by Twigboy+10 July 2004 - 16:15--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Twigboy @ 10 July 2004 - 16:15)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Vamp@9 July 2004 - 18:19

I just made the swap from RF to RCA now, never knowing that I could play RCA on my RCA-portless TV. I never thought of connecting RCA to the VCR RCA and then VCR- RF to the TV-RF, but it works, so yay&#33; I think another reason why I never thought it would work, was because I never noticed the Input Select button on my VCR, but at least I can play games in better quality now&#33;
I don&#39;t think they&#39;ll be any diffrence in picture quality,your basically feeding the signal back into a RF hookup. [/b][/quote]
The lowest quality hookup you use is how low its gonna be.