PDA

View Full Version : Time Travel?

HCT
07-11-2004, 08:13 AM
I was bored so i started thinking if time travel were posible how would it be done?
for example: to go to the future would you have go at incredable speeds or what?

tracydani
07-11-2004, 10:06 AM
I am not sure about traveling into the future, but to go into the past is just a state of mind. Read Time and Again by Jack Finney.

Time and Again (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0684801051/102-7223964-2040153?v=glance)

TD

TheRealDave
07-11-2004, 10:20 AM
maybe like the butterfly effects :unsure:

lynx
07-11-2004, 10:20 AM
Time travel is impossible.

If it were possible to travel backwards in time, you would inevitably make changes. Those changes would have a widening effect (the butterfly effect) which would create a paradox between what happened without time travel and what happened with time travel. It would even be possible for those changes to make it impossible for you to take part in time travel. That would be an impossibility, so by consequence time travel to the past is impossible.

Some might say you would have to set up a system by which you could only observe the past, but not affect it. If that were the case, you would end up with knowledge which you would not otherwise have, and as such you would affect your future. This in turn would have consequences for future time travellers just as if they had come back and altered their past.

So what about time travel to the future? Well, that is a possibility, but since travel to the past is impossible it would be a one way trip. As you suggested, extremely high velocities cause time to pass more slowly, so you would not age. However, you would have to reach speeds approaching the speed of light for there to be any significant change.

In order to be able to reach such speeds and the acceleration would have to be relatively small, otherwise you could not carry the necessary fuel. So you would probably need some sort of suspended animation in order to survive the flight. And if you have suspended animation, why not just use that and wait it out, don't bother with the risks of near speed-of-light travel.

tracydani
07-11-2004, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by lynx@11 July 2004 - 12:28
Time travel is impossible.

If it were possible to travel backwards in time, you would inevitably make changes. Those changes would have a widening effect (the butterfly effect) which would create a paradox between what happened without time travel and what happened with time travel. It would even be possible for those changes to make it impossible for you to take part in time travel. That would be an impossibility, so by consequence time travel to the past is impossible.
Couldn't those results be what others would refer to as alternate realities?

TD

HCT
07-11-2004, 12:56 PM
i was doing some research and found this

The secret is to travel at speeds faster than the speed of light. The main text of the web site explains this in great detail. The obvious problem with traveling very near the speed of light is that as you approach C (the speed of light), time slows down until at C time stops. How can you go faster if time has stopped? The answer involves a complex process called quantum tunneling and is discussed at length in the main text of this web site.

Once the velocity becomes greater than C time moves backwards. We have entered into the realms of negative time.

isitive
07-11-2004, 02:27 PM
i am from the school of thought ...who thinks nothing is impossible.

If fact all the greatest scientists who made great inventions.Because they belonged to the above school.

I think time travel is possible. I read the great Albert Einstien's theory of relativity.
(If any one wants i have the book in pdf format). Einstien never said that time travel is impossible.If we consider things into space-time co-ordinates.it makes things easier.If sometime in future we will be able to make or devise a lens or optical device that can fold the light so as to get the space time plane (say a paper for simplicity) into a cylinder,so that the distance between the two points can be made zero.Reaserch has been going on to device such an optical device.I hope they will succeed.

Even if they won't. we have seen striking discoveries being made in last century or two.I am positive about it!!!

Criticism invitied.

Gemby!
07-11-2004, 02:33 PM
time travel is possible - into the future anyway

what you do is you go to sleep then magically when you wake up it will be hours later B)

gemby rules ! :01:

Rat Faced
07-11-2004, 02:43 PM
Unlike Lynx, I would not say that its impossible.

Many things have been described as impossible and then have been achieved.

I find it highly unlikely and improbable, but the word impossible shouldnt be used.

Thats for the past.

As to the future, the same effects that going to all that crap with the speed of light can be achieved by a much simpler method.. Cryogenics.

We are quite capable of freezing a Body in a way whereby it will not "age" for an indefinate time.

The process however, is not reversable with todays technology.

I would say that its much more likely that "Time Travel" into the future (its not, but the effect is the same) is much more likely through a technology that we do at least have half the problems sorted, than through a technology that we start from scratch, and have nothing but theories to go on.

We havent even delivered a man to Mars yet, never mind achieved distances where the Speed of Light would even enter the equation.

HCT
07-11-2004, 03:36 PM
i have another question about this "time traveling backward paradox"
lets say a time traveler went back in time and accidently kill his granma
since he killed his granma he was never born right
but in the future since he was never born he was not able to go back in time to kill his granma so his granma lives which means that he will be born then later goes back in time and kills his granma.

its like being stuck in a loop hole thus making time stand still forever

or

the time traveler went back in time and accidently kill his granma then he was never born but since he was never born he was not able to go back in time to kill his granma so he lives and the loop stops thus being back to square one.

wich means that he never change the past

Rat Faced
07-11-2004, 05:44 PM
If you take the theories that abound about other dimensions etc, the act may create a universe where you did and one where you didnt...

Anyone see Sliders recently?

Know when the next series starts... love that program...

HCT
07-11-2004, 06:03 PM
hey isitive can i get that book on Albert Einstien's theory of relativity?

lynx
07-11-2004, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by Rat Faced@11 July 2004 - 17:52
If you take the theories that abound about other dimensions etc, the act may create a universe where you did and one where you didnt...

Anyone see Sliders recently?

Know when the next series starts... love that program...
But surely that is cross-dimensional travel, not time travel, a different kettle of fish altogether.

Look at it another way.

Either the future already exists or it doesn't.

Assume it already exists. Everything is pre-ordained, if someone is going to achieve time travel then they will already have done so, maybe in the future, and we would see the effects. We don't, so it has never happened and never will. Edit: time travel to the future would be possible though.

Now assume it doesn't exist yet. If we attempt time travel to the past we will be creating matter in that time continuum from nothing, since it will be from a future which does not yet exist. And if it doesn't exist how can it do anything in that earlier time continuum? It can't, so it will never happen. Edit: time travel to the future is not possible either, since the future does not exist.

Edit: in any case, so called time travel to the future is merely some way of waiting for the future to come around, no actual time travel involved.

I liked Sliders when it first started, but like many of this type of series the writers got stuck for ideas and it started getting silly.

Rat Faced
07-11-2004, 09:11 PM
If its pre-ordained, then Time Travel could exist, as it was ordained that you'd fail to kill your grandad..

If there's free will, then it cant...because to do so causes a paradox

Therefore, if someone can now prove the existance of God....

Lynx will try and sort out the Time Travel for y'all......

:ph34r:

muchspl2
07-11-2004, 09:23 PM
http://plus.maths.org/issue12/news/fasterThanLight/

Biggles
07-12-2004, 12:23 AM
Given that we do all travel in time - it is part of the human condition - should we not be content with that. Perhaps we should at least try to master the single speed and direction we currently have before trying any fancy flips and half pipes.

Unfortunately, travelling in time, if it were possible, would undoubtedly be funded and undertaken by those who would look for some return. This would inevitably be bad for someone.

I liked Lynx's piece - very logical.

tesco
07-12-2004, 04:35 AM
Duh.
Haven't you guys ever heard of the Flux Capacitor? :huh:

:lol:

Barbarossa
07-12-2004, 11:25 AM
For the enthusiasts of time travel there is another complication, everyone assumes that if you could travel through time you will automatically "land" in the same place as you left.

However, what people fail to appreciate is that everything is in motion. The world is spinning, which in turn is orbiting the sun, which in turn is orbiting the centre of the galaxy, which in turn is moving away from every other galaxy in the universe, etc.

Chances are if you tried to travel to last tuesday, you would end up in the middle of a black void, in which case, you wouldn't be able to change anything.. :lol:

When you look at all of mankinds technological achievements, with the exception of space travel, everything else has been simply mimicking or expanding on something that already occurs naturally in nature.

Time travel is a totally different sort of impossible.

manker
07-12-2004, 11:53 AM
I don't think that time travel is possible either, at least not in the flux capacitor sense, for the cause and effect reasons already stated.

I do think it would be possible to experience an effect which would seem a little like time travel though. Simplisticly, if one had access to a craft which was capable of a speed greater than the speed of light and then travelled in that craft for an appropriate period of time, upon slowing it would be possible to see an image of yourself approach in the rear view mirror (well, using a rear view mirror if you were in that delorian)

Great posts by barbarossa and lynx.

Snee
07-12-2004, 02:31 PM
I'll just take my bird of prey for a spin round the sun.

K'PLAH!

EDits:

Oh and if the m-theory model is correct, what you could do is first invent a method to travel to another dimension, one with different physical laws or somesuch, where the relative time moves in another direction or something, then you could travel back here and end up at another point in our spacetime.

Easy as pie, er.

Anyway, the key, I should imagine, is to first remove yourself from your native space/time.

Anabelle
07-13-2004, 09:16 AM
http://www.johntitor.com/ .....try this out for size

tracydani
07-13-2004, 11:43 AM
Interesting link.

TD

Biggles
07-13-2004, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@12 July 2004 - 04:43
Duh.
Haven't you guys ever heard of the Flux Capacitor? :huh:

How you clean your toilet is your business.

Is it ecologically friendly? :ph34r:

lynx
07-13-2004, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Biggles+13 July 2004 - 15:24--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Biggles @ 13 July 2004 - 15:24)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ROSSCO_2004@12 July 2004 - 04:43
Duh.
Haven&#39;t you guys ever heard of the Flux Capacitor? :huh:

Is it ecologically friendly? :ph34r: [/b][/quote]
In any case, everyone knows it is all down to the Flanging Sprocket. The Flux Capacitor is just a gimmicky add on. :rolleyes:

Biggles
07-13-2004, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by lynx+13 July 2004 - 15:37--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (lynx @ 13 July 2004 - 15:37)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Biggles@13 July 2004 - 15:24
<!--QuoteBegin-ROSSCO_2004@12 July 2004 - 04:43
Duh.
Haven&#39;t you guys ever heard of the Flux Capacitor? :huh:

Is it ecologically friendly? :ph34r:
In any case, everyone knows it is all down to the Flanging Sprocket. The Flux Capacitor is just a gimmicky add on. :rolleyes: [/b][/quote]
Right

That is the bit that connects to central widget spring.

With you now.

:helpsmile:

Re: movement - that will be why the the Doctor had a TARDIS. I had never really thought about that before.

Dark Ride
07-16-2004, 01:43 AM
It is possible (theoreticaly).

That is not my opinion, but the result of researches of scientists.I know it becuase I saw it in a BBC Exclusiv documentary, which I highly recommend to watch if you're interested in time travell.It explains different kinds of possibilitys of travelling in time.

For example, black holes which you can find all over the universe, are able to swollow everything , even light.If you would get swallowed by a black hole you would end up in a different place and a different time (or dimension), if you manage to stay alive at all.

Enough from me, I'm too lazy to write more.

Originally posted by barbarossa
However, what people fail to appreciate is that everything is in motion. The world is spinning, which in turn is orbiting the sun, which in turn is orbiting the centre of the galaxy, which in turn is moving away from every other galaxy in the universe, etc.

Chances are if you tried to travel to last tuesday, you would end up in the middle of a black void, in which case, you wouldn't be able to change anything.. :lol:

:lol: I had the same thought

lynx
07-16-2004, 02:32 AM
Originally posted by Dark Ride@16 July 2004 - 01:51
For example, black holes which you can find all over the universe, are able to swollow everything , even light.If you would get swallowed by a black hole you would end up in a different place and a different time (or dimension), if you manage to stay alive at all.
There is a slight problem with getting into a black hole, assuming you can survive the trip.

You may be any place and any time in the universe (or not as the case may be), but there is the tiny inconvenience of not being able to get out again.

Bummer, huh?

Dark Ride
07-16-2004, 02:58 AM
One more thing:

If you look into the sky at night, you see alot of stars, of course.The point is you "see" them but many of them are phisicaly not there.They died (collapsed) prolly a long time ago, but the light that they spread is traveled trough the universe and you can see the star now , altough it acualy isn&#39;t there - you see the past.

ziggyjuarez
07-16-2004, 03:15 AM
Originally posted by Dark Ride@16 July 2004 - 03:06
One more thing:

If you look into the sky at night, you see alot of stars, of course.The point is you "see" them but many of them are phisicaly not there.They died (collapsed) prolly a long time ago, but the light that they spread is traveled trough the universe and you can see the star now , altough it acualy isn&#39;t there - you see the past.
:huh: say what?

Barbarossa
07-16-2004, 11:31 AM
One more thing:

Good point. ;)

manker
07-16-2004, 11:43 AM
One more thing:

Hey no fair&#33; that&#39;s very similar to my rear-view mirror analogy without the childish references to Back To The Future.

Wish I&#39;d thought of explaining it that way :rolleyes:

LegendaryU2K
07-16-2004, 06:33 PM
I thought this side of the forum was about serious talk?

All i see is bs.

Monkster
07-16-2004, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by LegendaryU2K@16 July 2004 - 18:41
I thought this side of the forum was about serious talk?

All i see is bs.
Yeah, I do too, after looking at your post :P

But anyway, Dark Ride is correct. It takes light so long from those stars so long to reach us, that we see past. So time travel is possible...in a way.

LegendaryU2K
07-16-2004, 08:16 PM
Yo man there is no such thing as time travel, get away from the tv, far far away.

Sometimes i feel like im talking to a :frusty: and im trying to tell people something, but everyone head is so far up their ass or somewhere other then reality :angry:

tracydani
07-16-2004, 08:59 PM
Your absolutely right, there is no such thing as time travel(as far as we know) at this time.

I believe most of us are discussing the possibilty of it in the future though ;) I for one think it is possible. Whether or not we get to it is another thing.

TD

Dark Ride
07-16-2004, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by tracydani@16 July 2004 - 21:07
Your absolutely right, there is no such thing as time travel(as far as we know) at this time.

I believe most of us are discussing the possibilty of it in the future though ;) I for one think it is possible. Whether or not we get to it is another thing.

TD
Right

@ LegendaryU2K

You should better stay away from things you don&#39;t have a clue of ;)

yonki
07-17-2004, 01:09 AM
Do we travel through time or does time travel through us?How would you describe time?Do we really understan what time is?

Maybe talking about "time travel" is as stupid as talking about travel through white.
<_<

colt45joe
07-19-2004, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by Anabelle@13 July 2004 - 09:24
hmmm...civil war in 2005. neat

Dark Ride
07-19-2004, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by colt45joe+19 July 2004 - 09:29--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (colt45joe &#064; 19 July 2004 - 09:29)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Anabelle@13 July 2004 - 09:24
hmmm...civil war in 2005. neat [/b][/quote]
and World War 3 in 2010 :lol:

EDIT:

Guns N&#39; Roses - Civil War

(Slash/McKagan/Rose)

"What we&#39;ve got here is failure to communicate.
Some men you just can&#39;t reach...
So, you get what we had here last week
Which is the way he wants it&#33;
Well, he gets it&#33;
N&#39; I don&#39;t like it any more than you men."*

Look at your young men fighting
Look at your women crying
Look at your young men dying
The way they&#39;ve always done before

Look at the hate we&#39;re breeding
Look at the fear we&#39;re feeding
Look at the lives we&#39;re leading
The way we&#39;ve always done before

My hands are tied
The billions shift from side to side
And the wars go on with brainwashed pride
For the love of God and our human rights
And all these things are swept aside
By bloody hands time can&#39;t deny
And are washed away by your genocide
And history hides the lies of our civil wars

D&#39;you wear a black armband
When they shot the man
Who said "Peace could last forever"
And in my first memories
They shot Kennedy
An I went numb when I learned to see
So I never fell for Vietnam
We got the wall of D.C. to remind us all
That you can&#39;t trust freedom
When it&#39;s not in your hands
When everybody&#39;s fightin&#39;
for their promised land

And
I don&#39;t need your civil war
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor
Your power hungry sellin&#39; soldiers
In a human grocery store
Ain&#39;t that fresh

Look at the shoes you&#39;re filling
Look at the blood we&#39;re spilling
Look at the world we&#39;re killing
The way we&#39;ve always done before
Look in the doubt we&#39;ve wallowed
Look at the leaders we&#39;ve followed
Look at the lies we&#39;ve swallowed
And I don&#39;t want to hear no more

My hands are tied
For all I&#39;ve seen has changed my mind
But still the wars go on as the years go by
With no love of God or human rights
&#39;Cause all these dreams are swept aside
By bloody hands of the hypnotized
Who carry the cross of homicide
And history bears the scars of our civil wars

"We practice selective annihilation of mayors
and government officials
for example to create a vacuum
Then we fill that vacuum
as popular war advances.
Peace is closer"**

It feeds the rich while it buries the poor
In a human grocery store
Ain&#39;t that fresh
In a human grocery store
Ain&#39;t that fresh
I don&#39;t need one more war

I don&#39;t need one more war
What&#39;s so civil &#39;bout war anyway
---

Drums: Steven Adler
Bass: Duff
Lead and Rhythm Guitars/ Acoustic Guitar: Slash
Vocals: Axl
Piano: Dizzy Reed
Background Vocals: Duff, Dizzy

* Strother Martin - from the film
"Cool Hand Luke"
** Peruvian Guerilla General

:gunsmile:

ck-uk
07-22-2004, 10:14 AM
lynx ..i havnt read the whole thrread .whooping jaw ache&#33;&#33;.althou i totaly agree..from what i know..traveling back is"impossible" due to the grandfather..father scenario.....forward is..suposidly possible if you can go fast enough&#33;&#33;&#33;

dwightfry
07-27-2004, 10:13 PM
I always thought it would be like this.

You can only live in the present, you can only directly effect the present. Every action you make rewrites the future. As soon as you go back in time, the present you were exisiting in becomes your future. While in the past, (your present), you kill your granddaddy. The future gets rewritten so that you were never born. This doesn&#39;t change the present though. As the future is being rewritten, the timeline doesn&#39;t follow you into the past again. It continues on in a straight line on it&#39;s merry way. You would continue existing the past (your present).

That&#39;s why I also believe that if you go back in time and talk to yourself, you won&#39;t suddenly get these memories of the conversation you had. By talking to him you only change the future. The remaining time between being talked to by your future self and actually going back in time you will have the memory, but as soon as you go back in time again, there will be 3 versions of your self. The present self, (the one that&#39;s supposed to be there), futureself #1, (Present self with no memories of being talked to and had gone back in time), and futureself #2 (present self with the memories of being talked to and had gone back in time).