PDA

View Full Version : What Made Goldeneye On N64 So Great?

Vamp
07-12-2004, 02:32 PM
Think about it, every one who's ever played it, loved it! It was just so fucking awesome, but why?!!! There's nothing in it that isn't in any average game that you can get now.

Cygnuz-Y
07-12-2004, 05:25 PM
I dont know, i've been asking my self that lately, cuz i found this guys are making a mod for UT2004 about goldeneye and i cant wait to play it, but now that i remembered the damn game didt even had jump, IMHO i cant imagine a FPS without jump, anyways i remember that game was so cool, so was perfect dark....

Illuminati
07-12-2004, 05:45 PM
/me gets his video game theoriest's cap on :smilie4:

There's probably a few reasons for it, but the fact that a decent game sticks and makes you question why is usually the sign of a classic game. Usually, it's is due to something that hasn't been done before, or it has been done before but not as well as it had done.

Unfortunately, I never had an N64 myself :( (I prefer a Dreamcast TBH ;)) and only had a few tries on Goldeneye round a mate's house. But here's something to get you going - What had it done (either properly or at all) that you never saw before at the time? What parts of Goldeneye have been ripped off by god knows how many clones since Goldeneye was released?

I'll give you some examples - Doom made god knows how many players shat themselves when it came out, Final Fantasy VII was one of the first (I know, not proper ;)) 3D RPG with an original story that had things never thought of before, Everything or Nothing became one of the first game-of-film-series games to have regular actors of the series to take part in the first solo game of the series, and Knights of the Old Republic had a plot that many players rated on the same quality as those of the first Star Wars films (i.e. Episode 4-6).

So have a think about it, but the main thing is to remember back then what made it special. Remember that the industry is an adaptive SOB where a lot of great ideas end up in god knows how many games over time, so what made Goldeneye's greatness obvious back then may not be as easy to pick out now ;)

Cygnuz-Y
07-12-2004, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by Illuminati@12 July 2004 - 17:53
/me gets his video game theoriest's cap on :smilie4:

There's probably a few reasons for it, but the fact that a decent game sticks and makes you question why is usually the sign of a classic game. Usually, it's is due to something that hasn't been done before, or it has been done before but not as well as it had done.

Unfortunately, I never had an N64 myself :( (I prefer a Dreamcast TBH ;)) and only had a few tries on Goldeneye round a mate's house. But here's something to get you going - What had it done (either properly or at all) that you never saw before at the time? What parts of Goldeneye have been ripped off by god knows how many clones since Goldeneye was released?

I'll give you some examples - Doom made god knows how many players shat themselves when it came out, Final Fantasy VII was one of the first (I know, not proper ;)) 3D RPG with an original story that had things never thought of before, Everything or Nothing became one of the first game-of-film-series games to have regular actors of the series to take part in the first solo game of the series, and Knights of the Old Republic had a plot that many players rated on the same quality as those of the first Star Wars films (i.e. Episode 4-6).

So have a think about it, but the main thing is to remember back then what made it special. Remember that the industry is an adaptive SOB where a lot of great ideas end up in god knows how many games over time, so what made Goldeneye's greatness obvious back then may not be as easy to pick out now ;)
So you mean that what made goldeneye so special was that it was original...

Maybe maybe

Illuminati
07-12-2004, 06:11 PM
I can't really put words in your mouth with Goldeneye - I really need to buy a Preowned N64 to answer that myself (then again, the price they're now in GAME... :D)

But like I said, there had to be something about the game that stuck in your memory. And most likely it'd be something that Goldeneye was the only/first game to do right. One thing I remembered myself was the dam jump, but that was only from the movie for me :unsure:

Think of anything? :)

Cygnuz-Y
07-12-2004, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by Illuminati@12 July 2004 - 18:19
I can't really put words in your mouth with Goldeneye - I really need to buy a Preowned N64 to answer that myself (then again, the price they're now in GAME... :D)

But like I said, there had to be something about the game that stuck in your memory. And most likely it'd be something that Goldeneye was the only/first game to do right. One thing I remembered myself was the dam jump, but that was only from the movie for me :unsure:

Think of anything? :)
The bungee jump on the first level "DAM", you dont have to buy a pre owned n64, get Pj64 on www.pj64.net and get yourself the rom off kazaa :lol:

Vamp
07-12-2004, 06:31 PM
Got a point,

The Photo-Realistic faces stuck onto the models,

The damage modeling (blood appearing where you shot someone)

The music

The Weapons

I prefer DC as well, has some of the best games ever made, in fact I'm downloading Illbleed now, I have the DC with 50+ games right next to me

Amarjit
07-12-2004, 08:02 PM
It was that whole multiplayer experience.

Bowen747x
07-13-2004, 02:27 AM
What Made Goldeneye On N64 So Great?

But that wasnt all... it was the first good multi player game 4 a console.

at the time 007 first came out, fps games were not very popular. but on the pc they were much much better. 007 could not jump, roll, crawl, or even move very well.

but infact it did still hold out 2 b fun. the single player was challenging but not frustrating. and aiming was infact quite simple. w/ the amount of options and ease, the mutliplayer mode showed 2 b very thrilling.

the strange thing is tho, the N64 was not the most popular console and wen 007 first appeared, he was not even seen 2 much, i myself owned that game 4 about 1 1/2 years b4 i heard ppl started playing it a lot.

Bowen747x
07-13-2004, 02:31 AM
o and i 4got the most importang thing a video game needs and 007 had it...

THE LITTLE EXTRAS!!!

they made hats fly off, guns drop, glass break, dr's run around funny like and much more

WTG 007 :D

Keikan
07-13-2004, 06:28 AM
When you shoot the girl in the boob green stuff comes out :)

abu_has_the_power
07-13-2004, 06:44 AM
its like how halo make such a huge explosion when it came out. even today, we still say mp ctf on xbox was fun. it was. but the game is not that good anymore, yet we still remember it as a great game.

Busyman
07-13-2004, 06:54 AM
Originally posted by Amarjit@12 July 2004 - 16:10
Exactly!!!

I could play deathmatches against a friend on a console.

The single player game had good level design as well.

Other than that there hasn't been much "copying" of Goldeneye since had nothing really original to begin with. It was just executed very well.

Alot of people follow the hype machine as well.

Jay
07-13-2004, 12:51 PM
the game to me was a classic. i really dont know why but i still love it and i still play deathmatches with my friends to this day.

fred devliegher
07-13-2004, 01:14 PM
I think it had to do with freedom. You could choose how to do the missions - just run through the main route or look for alternate paths, explore rooms that had nothing to do with your mission, jump in with guns blazing Doom-style or sneak around and avoid the cameras.

The best bit was that you were actually rewarded for exploring and experimenting - as opposed to certain other Bond games these days <_< - with cheats or new guns. You had choices - do I blow up half the room with a grenade and kill the hostage in the process or do I risk my life and attack the guards one-by-one ? The first option is quick and messy, the second dangerous but rewarding.

And then there&#39;s the little details - using the RCP-90 to shoot guards through doors, the GoldenEye CCTV tape, the brilliant way you get out of the cell.

The multiplayer was actually just an afterthought - it wasn&#39;t supposed to be in the final game, Rare just threw together some levels that would run at more-or-less playable framerates and added guns.

lightshow
07-13-2004, 09:09 PM
One thing that really stood out to me that made Goldeneye better than let&#39;s say Halo is that all the weapons were fun to use.

In games like Halo, the biggest weapon is always the best (ie rocket launcher) and so you would always use it. In goldeneye, the weapons seemed equal in terms of damage to clip size; reload; etc. for multiplayer.

And the 007 mode in single player where you could change the enemy alert level and so on was amazing. I remember pumping up the strength of the enemys to like 300% and giving myself rockets in the train level. That was fun.

3RA1N1AC
07-13-2004, 11:19 PM
What Made Goldeneye On N64 So Great?

hmm... definitely the voice actors.

Vamp
07-14-2004, 11:50 AM
There was no speech in the game :D

Another thing, what made Halo so great&#33; Think about it, repetitive gameplay, few weapons, same enemies over and over again :/

Cygnuz-Y
07-14-2004, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by Vamp@14 July 2004 - 11:58
There was no speech in the game :D

Another thing, what made Halo so great&#33; Think about it, repetitive gameplay, few weapons, same enemies over and over again :/
Halo Sucked ass, overrated

Tormentor
07-16-2004, 09:13 PM
What makes stars so beutifull when they are just a bunch of white dots in the sky?