PDA

View Full Version : Rubbish Speeds

barryk32
07-14-2004, 12:54 AM
Hi.

I've been trying for a week to speed up my bittornado. I have searched through google and every forum I can find but to no avail.

When downloading I have a green light plenty of peers/seeds but am chuffed to bits if d/l speed stays at 3kbs (normal is 0-1, mostly 0). Upload averages at about 10kbs.

I have forwarded all ports and allowed program to act as a server through zone alarm but still nothing.

The only things I can think of is a may have put the wrong IP address in the box when forwarding ports (Ihave tried my ip and the gateway ip, sorry dont know the diffrence)

Or it could be something to do with my ISP which is NTL Broadband. I have e-mailed them 3 times asking if its something to do with them but have received no reply.

Any advice would be very, very, very much appriciated.

Ariel_001
07-14-2004, 01:52 AM
zone alarm maybe your problem. :o

Digital Nirvana
07-14-2004, 01:59 AM
Disable Zonealarm for the time being, and check your results.

~Digital Nirvana

SuperJude™
07-14-2004, 03:45 AM
Originally posted by Digital Nirvana@14 July 2004 - 03:07
Disable Zonealarm for the time being, and check your results.

~Digital Nirvana
:clap: Bravo! But you could just as easilly have cut and pasted that, saved the time..

-SJ™

Digital Nirvana
07-14-2004, 03:53 AM
Originally posted by SuperJude™@14 July 2004 - 03:53
:clap: Bravo! But you could just as easilly have cut and pasted that, saved the time..

-SJ™
:huh: :blink:

barryk32
07-14-2004, 09:44 AM
Ta I will give it a go but should I not have some sort of firewall?

barryk32
07-14-2004, 10:24 AM
after 43 minutes without zonealarm d/l speed is 1 u/l is 7.

I am connected to 17 peers and 5 seeds, although on suprnova it says there are 300 peers and 30 seeds???

Light is still green.

D/l speed has now dropped to 0 (again)

Anymore ideas??

bilko
07-14-2004, 10:24 AM
well u have ur router , that'll do to be honest
u obviously have port forwarded correctly else u wouldnt get the green

barryk32
07-14-2004, 10:49 AM
I'm now looking into the router thing and am getting no reply from ntl :frusty: .

On most guides its telling me to put my default gateway ip in address bar. Mine is 81.110.219.254 but all i'm getting is the page cannot be displayed script.

Has this got anything to do with me being in the u.k.???

:helpsmile:

oldjagman
07-14-2004, 11:59 AM
Can't help directly but here is some background that might help.

I'm in the UK and clipping along at 80ks per second.

I don't have a firewall (except XP), I'm not on a network so port forwarding is not a problem and I do have 1meg ADSL courtesy of Nildram - what level of broadband do NTL provide you with?

If its their 175 then 28ks is your probable limit, 600 and you should peak at about 75.

The demand for a file, the speed of the available sources and the number of files you are downloading/seeding can also be factors that affect your speed.

One final point - your upload speed can affect the download -I find I get the best results if I set it to one sixteenth of my total eg for 256 it should be set at 16ks.

Good luck!

Switeck
07-14-2004, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by oldjagman@14 July 2004 - 07:07
One final point - your upload speed can affect the download -I find I get the best results if I set it to one sixteenth of my total eg for 256 it should be set at 16ks.
Actually, the quoted upload speed you were probably given for your ADSL connection was in kilobits/sec -- while BitTorrent's upload speed limit is in KiloBYTES/sec.

So 256 kilobits/sec is really a theoretical max speed of 32 KiloBYTES/sec and your recommendation of 16 KiloBYTES/sec is really half of that.

BUT... BitTorrent is dealing with how fast the FILE is sent out, not how much bandwidth is used doing it. So sending the file out at 16 KiloBYTES/sec may well take 140 kilobits/sec (instead of 128) to do it!

This is why even if you have 256 kilobits/sec total upload speed and NOTHING else going on (just seeding a finished torrent) that you cannot upload at 32 KiloBYTES/sec -- to do that would take probably 270-300 kilobits/sec bandwidth.

I use AnalogX Netstat Live to monitor realtime my bandwidth useage -- I'm not pulling the numbers out of the air, these are the real numbers I'm seeing. It's also helpful at spotting when unknown programs (read: viruses and spyware) are eating my precious bandwidth!

This allows me to push my upload speeds to near their maximum, because I know when I'm hitting my upload bandwidth limits. :)

Storm
07-14-2004, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by barryk32@14 July 2004 - 02:02
Hi.

I've been trying for a week to speed up my bittornado. I have searched through google and every forum I can find but to no avail.

When downloading I have a green light plenty of peers/seeds but am chuffed to bits if d/l speed stays at 3kbs (normal is 0-1, mostly 0). Upload averages at about 10kbs.

I have forwarded all ports and allowed program to act as a server through zone alarm but still nothing.

The only things I can think of is a may have put the wrong IP address in the box when forwarding ports (Ihave tried my ip and the gateway ip, sorry dont know the diffrence)

Or it could be something to do with my ISP which is NTL Broadband. I have e-mailed them 3 times asking if its something to do with them but have received no reply.

Any advice would be very, very, very much appriciated.
summary:

you seached everything
you forwarded all ports
you gave it server status in ZA

1-why do you have ZA if you have a router?
2-first thing said in nearly every BT page is: UNINSTALL ZONE ALARM, it doesnt work with BT, even in server status
3-ur ISP wont want you downloading shitloads of data, so theyre prolly not gonna tell you what you're doing wrong (why should they, they usually only throttle p2p ports, so theyre definitly not gonna help you)

btw, if #3 is you problem, use a diffrent port.....

barryk32
07-14-2004, 11:35 PM
It would seem No 3 is my problem but what other ports other than 6881-6889 would I use?? these are the only ones I have found listed?

Thanks

rf9rider
07-15-2004, 05:06 AM
Try using a range of about 10 ports between 49152-65535.

bilko
07-17-2004, 03:26 PM
ah i didnt think of that, increase the number of ports forwarded?
i kinda go on the basis of one prot per torrent so i have 6 ports open and i never leave more than that going...if i opened more it may help speed?

sounds good but cant be true - Azerus only requires 1 port

rf9rider
07-17-2004, 11:36 PM
Opening too many ports will result in more problems.
Just try a port between 49152-65535.
As Storm said, it might be your isp throttling 6881-6889

barryk32
07-19-2004, 10:05 AM
Thanks. I have gone through port 49152 and d/l speed is always between 3-13 which although is not fantastic it is acceptable (its like being stuck in traffic its not that bad if you are always moving, its when you are stood still you start to get annoyed).

I can come back after an hour and find the percentage completed has increaced which I could not do before.