PDA

View Full Version : Usa Is 7th In Fifa Rankings

slim150
07-14-2004, 02:09 AM
Never thought I'd see them ranked so high. 1 better than England even, yet noone here in the states even knows. I wish our club leagues were more entertaining but its not. And we need stadiums too, we have like 2 in our nation lol

I also wish, our club names weren't so corny o well.

http://fifa.com/en/mens/statistics/index.html

manker
07-14-2004, 02:15 AM
Yeah it's because the only competitive matches, except the World Cup finals every 4 years, they play are in the concacaf. it's the same with Mexico's inflated rating. not their fault because a team can only beat whats put in front of them.

slim150
07-14-2004, 02:28 AM
i guess you're right, heres who've they've played recently

Jan. 18 Denmark 1-1 T
Feb. 18 Holland 0-1 L
March 13 Haiti 1-1 T
March 31 Poland 1-0 W
Apr. 28 Mexico 1-0 W
June 2 Honduras 4-0 W
June 13 Grenada * 3-0 W
June 20 Grenada * 3-2 W
July 11 Poland 1-1 T

worldpease
07-14-2004, 03:44 AM
Hi People, Im from Mexico...
And let me tell you someting,
here in Mexico, no body saw it coming
but the Us Team kiked us out of the FIFA 2002 World Cup,
I think that USA has one of the best teams that it´s ever had.
I remember that Mexico use to beat USA even in the USA Cup
Finals.
But now it has become a dangerus thing to do.

And abaut Mexico, ¨mi equipo¨, I think that some of you underestimate
our capabilities. For example,
once Mexico won 4 to 3 over Brazil (CONCACAF 2006, I think)
and Its one of the most feared teams in America.

I might add, that I don´t like the ´national league´ games ( like when
Chivas, America, Toluca, Toros, etc. play) ¨It´s lame I think¨.

Those are my Toughts for tonight, see ya´.

mogadishu
07-14-2004, 07:31 AM
Ive been watching the US team progress over the last 5-10 years and they really do deserve to be in the top 10. MLS has helped so much, and it can only strengthen the US soccer system. Look for the US to make a good run in the 2006 world cup.

Cheese
07-14-2004, 08:29 AM
I fear the US doing well because FIFA has a real hardon for capturing the american audience and if they start doing well and beginning to appeal to that market who knows what FIFA will do to expand on this.

Remember some of the proposed changes back in '94? Making the goals bigger, letting the players dribble the ball in penalty shoot-outs and having the clock tick down instead of up. Oh, and they made the teams play at midday (when it's hottest) for peak time viewing audiences here.

Not that I'm anti-American but I just see no point destroying a sport to appeal to a market that, as a whole, has never got soccer...

mogadishu
07-14-2004, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Withcheese@14 July 2004 - 03:37
I fear the US doing well because FIFA has a real hardon for capturing the american audience and if they start doing well and beginning to appeal to that market who knows what FIFA will do to expand on this.

Remember some of the proposed changes back in '94? Making the goals bigger, letting the players dribble the ball in penalty shoot-outs and having the clock tick down instead of up. Oh, and they made the teams play at midday (when it's hottest) for peak time viewing audiences here.

Not that I'm anti-American but I just see no point destroying a sport to appeal to a market that, as a whole, has never got soccer...
its guna take a lot more than 7th place in the fifa rankings to spark interest here. I think it will just take more time - maybe a higher finish in next WC or even the upcoming olympics.

Barbarossa
07-14-2004, 11:10 AM
I don't even understand why it's even in the Olympics. Seems like a waste of time to me..

manker
07-14-2004, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Withcheese@14 July 2004 - 08:37

Football will never be big in the U.S. IMO. FIFA have tried since the 60's and 70's (George Best, Pele and Cruyff played together for the New York Cosmos in the 70's) I think the low scoring puts americans off. but the clincher is the concept of a draw, I'm sure someone will correct me but there is no other popular sport played in the U.S. where it's possible for the game to finish honours even.

I took an American exchange student who was staying at my sister's to the footie a couple of years back, it was a great match which finished 3-3. After a few pints in the pub he wanted to know when we were going back to the stadium for the 'overtime'. When told that there was none he refused point blank to believe us because apparently "There is no way 5,000 people would pay good money to watch a god damn tie"

I don't know whether that outlook is indicative of all American citizens but that incident sticks in my mind :lol:

Busyman
07-14-2004, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by manker+14 July 2004 - 12:20--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (manker &#064; 14 July 2004 - 12:20)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Withcheese@14 July 2004 - 08:37

Remember some of the proposed changes back in &#39;94? Making the goals bigger, letting the players dribble the ball in penalty shoot-outs and having the clock tick down instead of up. Oh, and they made the teams play at midday (when it&#39;s hottest) for peak time viewing audiences here.

Not that I&#39;m anti-American but I just see no point destroying a sport to appeal to a market that, as a whole, has never got soccer...
Football will never be big in the U.S. IMO. FIFA have tried since the 60&#39;s and 70&#39;s (George Best, Pele and Cruyff played together for the New York Cosmos in the 70&#39;s) I think the low scoring puts americans off. but the clincher is the concept of a draw, I&#39;m sure someone will correct me but there is no other popular sport played in the U.S. where it&#39;s possible for the game to finish honours even.

I took an American exchange student who was staying at my sister&#39;s to the footie a couple of years back, it was a great match which finished 3-3. After a few pints in the pub he wanted to know when we were going back to the stadium for the &#39;overtime&#39;. When told that there was none he refused point blank to believe us because apparently "There is no way 5,000 people would pay good money to watch a god damn tie"

I don&#39;t know whether that outlook is indicative of all American citizens but that incident sticks in my mind :lol: [/b][/quote]
Members that have seen my post regarding soccer know how I feel about it.

Btw, NFL Football can end in a tie.

I went to a Redskins/Giants game that ended 7-7.

PISSED ME THE FUCK OFF&#33;&#33;&#33;

I remember one channel trying to air soccer. I tried to watch but it was such a snoozer.

All that back and forth, back and forth.....with no score.

It&#39;s like watching a tug-o-war with a win..........eventually.

The highlights are almost nil. What? Someone gets kicked in the nuts.

mogadishu
07-14-2004, 08:52 PM
football and hockey both have overtime periods after which the game is called a draw if no one scores. What about golf - that seems pretty big here and its probably the most unexciting sport in the world. Im sure people would rather watch a soccer game than golf or the billiards and bowling they play on ESPN. I hate how ESPN or one of the spanish chanells didn&#39;t buy EURO 2004 rights. Instead you had to pay 20 bucks a game and 20 bucks to even get into a bar that had the game playing. I MEAN COMON THEY HAD IT FREE IN FRIGGIN CANADA.

namzuf9
07-15-2004, 12:13 AM
With prices like that i&#39;m not suprised football (soccer) is having problems taking off stateside. &#036;20 a game is fricking insane evenmore so when the nations team is not in the tournement.

Busyman
07-15-2004, 02:32 AM
Like I said, when soccer was aired for free here it was no ratings blockbuster. <_<

I am not anti-European when I say I don&#39;t like soccer.

I don&#39;t like golf (even though I think what Tiger did at the Master&#39;s is amazing) :D
I will never sit and watch a day&#39;s worth of golf unless....there&#39;s nothing else on and I&#39;m on my way too sleep in the middle of the day.
There&#39;s something soothing about golf on TV then.

I don&#39;t like hockey unless I&#39;m at the game. Being there is very exciting. It must be the speed. I don&#39;t get that feeling from TV.

I don&#39;t like baseball unless I&#39;m there and even then it can be a snoozer.
Who wants to wait until the sixth inning for something meaningful to happen?
Baseball is more of a social event.
You can chat with the people you went with about whatever.
The reason for that is because the game itself is not upbeat. There are way to many break periods for me.....between every strike, ball, or hit, to be exact.

Barbarossa
07-15-2004, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Busyman@15 July 2004 - 02:40
I don&#39;t like golf (even though I think what Tiger did at the Master&#39;s is amazing) :D
I will never sit and watch a day&#39;s worth of golf unless....there&#39;s nothing else on and I&#39;m on my way too sleep in the middle of the day.
There&#39;s something soothing about golf on TV then.

Blimey&#33; Let me introduce you to cricket... :lol:

billyfridge
07-15-2004, 04:40 PM
Hi guys, i&#39;ve not been on KL for a while.

i often wondered why The US haven&#39;t been more prominent in european football, or soccer as u call it. i surmised that there wasn&#39;t enough &#39;ballyhoo&#39; involved for the US public. distances between venues could be another problem, stadiums another. could it be because US kids are not brought up playing it like UK kids.
it&#39;s probably a combination of all these. :unsure:

Cheese
07-15-2004, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by barbarossa+15 July 2004 - 11:39--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (barbarossa @ 15 July 2004 - 11:39)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Busyman@15 July 2004 - 02:40
I don't like golf (even though I think what Tiger did at the Master's is amazing) :D
I will never sit and watch a day's worth of golf unless....there's nothing else on and I'm on my way too sleep in the middle of the day.
There's something soothing about golf on TV then.

Blimey! Let me introduce you to cricket... :lol: [/b][/quote]
Or show-jumping... :lol:

DanB
07-15-2004, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by Withcheese+15 July 2004 - 19:41--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Withcheese @ 15 July 2004 - 19:41)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by barbarossa@15 July 2004 - 11:39
<!--QuoteBegin-Busyman@15 July 2004 - 02:40
I don't like golf (even though I think what Tiger did at the Master's is amazing) :D
I will never sit and watch a day's worth of golf unless....there's nothing else on and I'm on my way too sleep in the middle of the day.
There's something soothing about golf on TV then.

Blimey! Let me introduce you to cricket... :lol:
Or show-jumping... :lol: [/b][/quote]
You had to lower the tone didn't you :rolleyes:

BILLY-THE-FISH
07-18-2004, 05:45 PM
I Must say that I think USA are not the 7th Best team in the world and I think that the FIFA rankings are a bit of a joke&#33;&#33; <_<

billyfridge
07-18-2004, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by BILLY&#045;THE&#045;FISH@18 July 2004 - 17:53
I Must say that I think USA are not the 7th Best team in the world and I think that the FIFA rankings are a bit of a joke&#33;&#33; <_<
I agree with u there Billy, i would imagine the US football/soccer team rank just above Tibet United ;)

manker
07-18-2004, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by billyfridge+18 July 2004 - 18:10--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (billyfridge @ 18 July 2004 - 18:10)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-BILLY&#045;THE&#045;FISH@18 July 2004 - 17:53
I agree with u there Billy, i would imagine the US football/soccer team rank just above Tibet United ;) [/b][/quote]
I think the 7th ranking flatters the U.S. team somewhat but they are a good side, they deserve a top twenty spot at least. Reaching the Quarter Finals of the 2002 World Cup cannot be a fluke.

What I meant in my original post is that it is a lot easier for the U.S. to pick up FIFA ranking points than a European team since most of their competitive games are against the like of Nicaragua or Trinidad and Tobago.

billyfridge
07-19-2004, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by manker+18 July 2004 - 21:45--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (manker @ 18 July 2004 - 21:45)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by billyfridge@18 July 2004 - 18:10
<!--QuoteBegin-BILLY&#045;THE&#045;FISH@18 July 2004 - 17:53
I agree with u there Billy, i would imagine the US football/soccer team rank just above Tibet United ;)
I think the 7th ranking flatters the U.S. team somewhat but they are a good side, they deserve a top twenty spot at least. Reaching the Quarter Finals of the 2002 World Cup cannot be a fluke.

What I meant in my original post is that it is a lot easier for the U.S. to pick up FIFA ranking points than a European team since most of their competitive games are against the like of Nicaragua or Trinidad and Tobago. [/b][/quote]
I think the US team will definitely improve as there is more interest in soccer these days, i&#39;m not 100% sure but Man United have an American goalie...Carrol.
i&#39;ll ask my daughter she works at Man United. :)

manker
07-19-2004, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by billyfridge+19 July 2004 - 01:15--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (billyfridge @ 19 July 2004 - 01:15)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by manker@18 July 2004 - 21:45

Originally posted by billyfridge@18 July 2004 - 18:10
<!--QuoteBegin-BILLY&#045;THE&#045;FISH@18 July 2004 - 17:53

What I meant in my original post is that it is a lot easier for the U.S. to pick up FIFA ranking points than a European team since most of their competitive games are against the like of Nicaragua or Trinidad and Tobago.
I think the US team will definitely improve as there is more interest in soccer these days, i&#39;m not 100% sure but Man United have an American goalie...Carrol.
i&#39;ll ask my daughter she works at Man United. :) [/b][/quote]
:lol: Carrol is the Northern Irish Lad, You&#39;re thinking of Tim Howard, and yeah he is American. There are also two more Americans in the Man Utd reserves, a Striker who&#39;s name I&#39;ve forgotten and central defender called Jonathon Spector.

Can you get any tickets? :D

billyfridge
07-19-2004, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by manker@19 July 2004 - 01:30

i&#39;ll ask my daughter she works at Man United. :) [/QUOTE]
:lol: Carrol is the Northern Irish Lad, You&#39;re thinking of Tim Howard, and yeah he is American. There are also two more Americans in the Man Utd reserves, a Striker who&#39;s name I&#39;ve forgotten and central defender called Jonathon Spector.

Can you get any tickets? :D [/quote]
I stand corrected Manker, sorry, yes Tim Howard.

yes my daughter works in personell, and can get tickets, but i&#39;ve advised her not to get anymore. you wouldn&#39;t believe the problems she&#39;s had. all staff tickets have to be paid for the day before the match, so alot of the time she had to pay out of her own pocket, and then chase the ppl who owed her money, more often than not they would grumble about the price of tickets.she only charged what she had to pay. and every ticket can be traced back to the person that bought it so if a ticket fell into the hands of a hooligan, and the club found out she could get fired
it&#39;s just not worth the bother. i doubt she will take my advice though, if she did it would be a first :lol:

manker
07-19-2004, 01:54 AM
:lol: I see what you mean, definitely not worth all the hassle.

Originally posted by billyfridge@19 July 2004 - 01:53
:so if a ticket fell into the hands of a hooligan

It&#39;s only grounds in the South I&#39;m banned from :unsure:

;)

peat moss
07-22-2004, 02:23 AM
In canada soccer is growing by leaps and bounds , yet we don&#39;t have the coaches . Still the usa ranked 7 is a joke. Who did they beat Granada that soccer power. :lol:

Oh ya they have that Jamaicon kid Franky abu?