PDA

View Full Version : Computer Has Slowed Right Down And Wont Turn Off

anxies
07-14-2004, 12:11 PM
Hi there i need someone to help me over this my op system is windows xp i have a new fast computer but everytime i put on either bit torrent or kazaa lite my computer slows right down i cant use it to browse the internet and when i go to turn it off i cant get it to turn off i have to do it manually. I use AOL i dont know whether that has anything to do with it? Anyway can any of you help me to configure my pc so i'm not having this problem.

Anxies :frusty:

Filliz
07-14-2004, 07:30 PM
All i can say is that you have to make sure that you don't max out your uploadingspeed through your p2p.

You should at least keep 10% of your download and uploadspeed for surfing the net.

And altough i never used AOL...from what i've heard it's a VERY crapy ISP :smilie4:

anxies
07-14-2004, 07:45 PM
To be honest i couldnt praise AOL enough it has only just shown a flaw to me trying to download movies but if anybody knows of a better one please let me know.

i know my upstream/downstream kbps is 288/1152

if that helps dont know whether that any good.

Anxies

muchspl2
07-14-2004, 10:41 PM
ctrl + alt + del
find out whats using all your processor power

zippy_frog
07-15-2004, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by anxies@14 July 2004 - 12:19
Hi there i need someone to help me over this my op system is windows xp i have a new fast computer but everytime i put on either bit torrent or kazaa lite my computer slows right down i cant use it to browse the internet and when i go to turn it off i cant get it to turn off i have to do it manually. I use AOL i dont know whether that has anything to do with it? Anyway can any of you help me to configure my pc so i'm not having this problem.

Anxies :frusty:
Ahaaa! You have spyware/adware (most likely) Go to www.spywareguide.com and select the Online Spyware Checker. (X-Cleaner). This will search you're HD for it. If it's there, select to delete it, and when it's all done, restart your computer. That should work.

anxies
07-15-2004, 01:09 PM
Thank you so much for the adware spyware link i ran it and had 5 dangerous ones on my system i have adaware 6 but this didnt pick those up.

thank you

Switeck
07-15-2004, 06:06 PM
If the computer has been through a lot of software upgrades and uninstalls, you could probably get 'speed' back just by formatting and reinstalling ONLY the "latest-and-greatest" versions of the software you use.

Having AOL v5 to v9 installed at once, if that's the case, is a sure way to make it slower than a snail.

zippy_frog
07-15-2004, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by anxies@15 July 2004 - 13:17
Thank you so much for the adware spyware link i ran it and had 5 dangerous ones on my system i have adaware 6 but this didnt pick those up.

thank you
Yeah, no problem. I just got Adaware 6 and it works good, but my suggestion to you is if the computer acts up, use Adaware first and if it doesn't work, run X-Cleaner. I'm glad I could help. :D

anxies
07-15-2004, 09:06 PM
oh by the way forgot to add my cpu speed its 2085

homercartman
07-15-2004, 11:15 PM
check your task manager under the processes tab.....I found that the P2P networking exe file was using 97% of my PC.....I've since deleted the file. And I am back to about 20% using an array of apps (klite, azerus and shareaza all @ the same time)....hope that helps.

erRor67
07-16-2004, 01:46 AM
yeah, its all about finding out whats taking all your pcu power. If its a bad file, scan with adware/spyware/virus scanners. ;)