PDA

View Full Version : Bittorrent Has Slowed Down My Pc

anxies
07-14-2004, 12:14 PM
Hi there i need someone to help me over this my op system is windows xp i have a new fast computer but everytime i put on either bit torrent or kazaa lite my computer slows right down i cant use it to browse the internet and when i go to turn it off i cant get it to turn off i have to do it manually. I use AOL i dont know whether that has anything to do with it? Anyway can any of you help me to configure my pc so i'm not having this problem.

Anxies :helpsmile:

oldjagman
07-14-2004, 12:25 PM
Reduce your bandwidth settings, particularly for uploads.

Stick to one download at a time.

anxies
07-14-2004, 01:09 PM
have tried that and no joy still exactly the same.

thanks though.

Storm
07-14-2004, 03:05 PM
every program you run is gonna slow down your comp.....

what are you comp specs? what kinda connection are you on?

what are you running besides BT?

if you have broadband, reduce upload speed to 80% of max
if on dial up, reduce to 1-2KB/s

btw, if you can, get a real ISP........ AOL makes dogs shit look good..........

ilw
07-14-2004, 04:34 PM
Check which processes are using up all your memory/cpu time when u run a filesharing program, (do this by pushing ctrl,alt,delete and in the processes tab sort by cpu or ram used). It may well be that it isn't the actual filesharing program but rather your firewall or something else in which case you should probably use adifferent program
If it is your filesharing program then:
perhaps try a different bittorrent downloader, azureus in particular i think is known to sometimes consume a lot of ram and so can cause big slow downs.
Kazaa lite uses a lot of cpu or ram (can't remember which) when you have a lot of downloads in the download window, it doesn't matter if they're active or queued.

If you're using win 98 your computer won't be able handle many simultaneous connections so you'll have to limit this in each filesharing programs settings

And yeah aol might be causing problems as well, cos its a big pile of crap

Switeck
07-14-2004, 05:14 PM
It could also be viruses or adware/spyware trojans killing the connection. Bittorrent running at the same time may just be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

rf9rider
07-14-2004, 05:14 PM
What BT client are you using?

Regarding the usual AOL is crap comments, probably from the people who have never used it, its fine when you know how to set it up.
Before all the flames start, i have no problem with AOL, its just the "knee jerk" reactions to it on here that get quite tiresome.

anxies
07-15-2004, 01:27 PM
Hi am using suprnova cause it has such good reviews on here.

ilw
07-15-2004, 02:00 PM
Suprnova is not the client you are using, it is the website you get your downloads from. A client is the program used to download bittorrent files (e.g Azureus, bittornado, abc or torrentstorm). Have a look at a bittorrent file you are downloading and at the top of the window you'll see (hopefully) the program name.

CornerPocket
07-15-2004, 04:54 PM
Why not provide more system info.....cpu/amout of ram..maybe you just don't have sufficient amout of ram? Turn off the built in firewall in XP if it's running along side another. As some have stated, check what programs are running, see what is using up cpu - memory.

anxies
07-15-2004, 08:43 PM
right as to the pc here are my specs

AMD athlon ™ XP 2600+
2.08ghz
512ddr mb ram
120 gb
cpu speed 2084

I did the check that was said above and it seems Aol takes up a massive amount of the space but dont know what to do about that as surely any other url would be the same. Have already turned off my firewall.
my upstream downstream rate is 288/1152

am beginner at all this computer stuff so hope you have all you need.

anxies
07-15-2004, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by ilw@15 July 2004 - 14:08
Suprnova is not the client you are using, it is the website you get your downloads from. A client is the program used to download bittorrent files (e.g Azureus, bittornado, abc or torrentstorm). Have a look at a bittorrent file you are downloading and at the top of the window you'll see (hopefully) the program name.
Hi there the only thing i can see on this in corner you mentioned is Bit Torrent 3.4.2 is that it sorry for being such a total newby have to confess to not knowing much in the computer department.

Switeck
07-15-2004, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by anxies@15 July 2004 - 15:51
I did the check that was said above and it seems Aol takes up a massive amount of the space but dont know what to do about that as surely any other url would be the same.
Eh?

The ISP I use requires NO software beyond what already came with windows. It integrates seemlessly with my LAN.
And it's the 'evil' one called ComCast broadband cable internet.

To reduce the amount of space AOL takes, make sure older versions of it aren't still installed -- only run the latest-and-greatest ...or at least the newest version you can tolerate.

ZaZu
07-17-2004, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by anxies@14 July 2004 - 08:22
everytime i put on either bit torrent or kazaa lite my computer slows right down i cant use it to browse the internet
Anxies :helpsmile:
Use Netlimiter (http://www.netlimiter.com/index.php) to limit Bt and Kazaa
to about 80% of you bandwidth, that will give you enough left to surf the net