PDA

View Full Version : Windows Xp And Bt Broadband

angel_of_death57
07-14-2004, 05:33 PM
Hello,

I have BT broadband 1MB using the BT Voyager 100 with latest drivers.

When i download alot of information into the 100's of MB's i cannot shut my PC down correctly. It stays on the screen of "Saving your settings" and does not move off it and i have to shut it down by turning main power off.

I can shut down fine if i do not connect or only download a small amount but alot stops me from shutting down correctly.

Does anyone have this problem or know how to solve this problem.

Sorry about posting in here as well i did in internet world but thought this really Software.

Chewie
07-14-2004, 07:01 PM
How long have you left it before deciding to turn off the power?

angel_of_death57
07-14-2004, 07:38 PM
Hours i have it on for ages with internet connected downloading stuff, i have also had it on for hours before without connection and shut down fine.

muchspl2
07-14-2004, 10:43 PM
I'v never even herd of bt voyger
if its a client, try http://www.bittornado.com

Orange_Boy
07-14-2004, 11:15 PM
are you sure its your broadband as never heard of broadband doing that to xp well with shutting down

angel_of_death57
07-14-2004, 11:15 PM
no no no British Telecom not BitTorrent

Voyager 100 is the ADSL USB modem

When i download loads into the 100's of MB's my pc will not shut down and just stays on saving your settings screen. If i do not connect to internet at all and just go on my pc for hours it shuts down fine and also when i downloadvery little like up to 200MB

I thinks its internet cos does not happen when i do not connect to my ADSL connection. Only happenes when alot downloaded.

angel_of_death57
07-14-2004, 11:29 PM
Well i found this on google, its my problem

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,10035443~mode=flat

Now the program i download things with is bittorrent, now if i change the settings on bittornado to only accept of max of 60 connections do you think this might help.

4play
07-14-2004, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by angel_of_death57@14 July 2004 - 23:37
Well i found this on google, its my problem

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,10035443~mode=flat

Now the program i download things with is bittorrent, now if i change the settings on bittornado to only accept of max of 60 connections do you think this might help.
erm no idea why this would stop your computing shutting down properly.

windowsupdate should be your first stop and make sure your up to date then
do a scandisk, defrag and clean out your internet explorer cache before you shutdown and see if that fixes it.

if not try using older drivers for your usb modem.

angel_of_death57
07-14-2004, 11:43 PM
I have tried all of that. I think its cos its a crap modem and a program like BitTorrent it has so many connections it overloads the modem like that link says. My max connections for it was set at no limit i have set it to 60 see how it goes with a big download.

AndrewBarker
07-15-2004, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by angel_of_death57@14 July 2004 - 17:41
Hello,

I have BT broadband 1MB using the BT Voyager 100 with latest drivers.

When i download alot of information into the 100's of MB's i cannot shut my PC down correctly. It stays on the screen of "Saving your settings" and does not move off it and i have to shut it down by turning main power off.

I can shut down fine if i do not connect or only download a small amount but alot stops me from shutting down correctly.

Does anyone have this problem or know how to solve this problem.

I had exactly the same problem when I started with BT Broadband and their BT Voyager modem, when using p2p

I spent weeks trying to resolve the problem, to no avail

In the end I purchased a Sitecom adsl usb modem, which solved the problem, and has worked perfectly ever since

angel_of_death57
07-15-2004, 08:49 AM
So i will buy a new modem

I have seen BT have a "Voyager USB Modem" that looks like their Router 200 and they have a speed touch.

Where did you buy the sitecom modem from and does it work with BT how do i install it to work with BT.

AndrewBarker
07-15-2004, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by angel_of_death57@15 July 2004 - 08:57
So i will buy a new modem

I have seen BT have a "Voyager USB Modem" that looks like their Router 200 and they have a speed touch.

Where did you buy the sitecom modem from and does it work with BT how do i install it to work with BT.
I bought the Sitecom ADSL usb modem from www.maplin.co.uk
Order Code: A79AR
Title: ADSL USB Modem
Price Inc Vat: £29.99

but that was a year ago, and Maplin no longer stock that particular one

yes it works perfectly with BT Broadband, and it installs in a similar way to the Voyager. i.e run the supplied CD and it installs the software/drivers

I would personally never buy a BT branded modem

angel_of_death57
07-15-2004, 03:12 PM
Well it would coem with a CD and would know the settings for Bt Broadband or do you mean the Bt Broadband disc i found some ADSL USB Modems

AndrewBarker
07-15-2004, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by angel_of_death57@15 July 2004 - 15:20
Well it would coem with a CD and would know the settings for Bt Broadband or do you mean the Bt Broadband disc i found some ADSL USB Modems
first, when you have got your new modem, you need to unplug the bt voyager, then uninstall the software for it in 'Add or Remove Programs'

when you buy a modem it comes with its own install disc

The first time you connect in the dial-up box thingy you need to enter your BT username which is in the format "[email protected]"

the phone number box needs to be left blank. i.e no number

There are a couple of settings to set in the Protocol Setup menu
VPI=0
VCI=38
Encapsulation mode= PPPoA VCMUX

see your new modem handbook for further details

Robert00000
07-16-2004, 12:21 AM
The most likely culprit are the modem drivers causing this problem. Re-install the drivers, if that doesn't work complaint to BT and get then to update their drivers.

Drivers used to cause a lot of problems like this (computer hanging) when XP first came out, but soon enough hardware manufacturers started to develop ones that worked properly.

EDIT: Why are you with BT anyway, don't you have NTL where you live?

angel_of_death57
07-19-2004, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by Robert00000@16 July 2004 - 01:29
The most likely culprit are the modem drivers causing this problem. Re-install the drivers, if that doesn't work complaint to BT and get then to update their drivers.

Drivers used to cause a lot of problems like this (computer hanging) when XP first came out, but soon enough hardware manufacturers started to develop ones that worked properly.

EDIT: Why are you with BT anyway, don't you have NTL where you live?
Its not drivers i tried updating drivers.

And its ADSL only my area so cannot get Cable NTL.

I am getting a new USB ADSL Modem the voyager sucks.