PDA

View Full Version : Post Count Update Status

CornerPocket
03-21-2003, 04:04 PM
Because of the heavily discussions/debates about the post counts, deliberations took place within the Admin/Mod Team Chat room. After much discussions it has been decided to reinstate/add post counts within the majority of areas except for "Off Topic". (This one may still be up in the air)

To sum it up Posts will count in all catergories within:

* General Category
- About our website and this Forum
- Filesharing
- Guestroom

* Kazaa Lite Related
- Questions
- Problems
- Connection Problems
- Tips
- Development

* Discussions
- Movieworld
- Musicworld
- Gameworld
- Softwareworld
- Hardwareworld

DataMore - time to update your Pinned Post Count Link :D

tilen76
03-21-2003, 04:18 PM
Interesting.

I hope that along with that, spam or useless posts will be dealt more severly.

Eventhough I have to say that I've noticed a great improvement over the last few days. It seems that just discussing about that and pointing it out have helped a lot. I have noticed an improved behaviour from the members who were considered as postcount-hunters.

I would like to commend them for their behaviour over the last few days. I see it as a great improvement.

And with this recent change in post counting, I think that it will only get better.

@Moderators: You have proven yourself as a great team again. Congratulations and thank you for all your effort again.

CornerPocket
03-21-2003, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by tilen76@21 March 2003 - 10:18
I hope that along with that, spam or useless posts will be dealt more severly.

@tilen76 - duly noted and yes this would mean more effort on our part but at the same time we are also hoping that the members here will see that we are willing to compromise on some things and hope that they would do their part as well by deeply minimizing spam and useless post. Afterall, it can be reversed once again should things get out of hand, but we would prefer that not happen so...............................

"Team Effort", lets make it work! B)

gumbydancin
03-21-2003, 04:58 PM
I felt the initial change was the proper one, and I commend the moderators on their willingness to listen and cooperate with the memebers of the forum, but I fear that it will be a short matter of time before the new post counting policies will need to be reversed. It seems inevitable to me that allowing them to count in discussion areas where often no aid is offered and threads quickly become off-topic, will inevitably lead to excessive spamming and useless threads, especially by newer members. Since the last major change I've seen my post total growth slow to a crawl, but I feel that is as it should be, as I have not spent as much time in the question and answer forums. Thanks again for your cooperation with the majority opinion though, and I will gladly do my part to encourage usefull posting by all members.

Bender
03-21-2003, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by gumbydancin@21 March 2003 - 17:58
I felt the initial change was the proper one, and I commend the moderators on their willingness to listen and cooperate with the memebers of the forum, but I fear that it will be a short matter of time before the new post counting policies will need to be reversed.  It seems inevitable to me that allowing them to count in discussion areas where often no aid is offered and threads quickly become off-topic, will inevitably lead to excessive spamming and useless threads, especially by newer members.  Since the last major change I've seen my post total growth slow to a crawl, but I feel that is as it should be, as I have not spent as much time in the question and answer forums.  Thanks again for your cooperation with the majority opinion though, and I will gladly do my part to encourage usefull posting by all members.
We're debating about those things too, don't worry, more updates to come, as CP said. :)

Genius
03-21-2003, 07:20 PM
So when will this update be has it already happened or will it be some time later :huh:
I'd test it out in the worlds but i don't want to spam :lol:

Never mind found somewhere I can post and it has happened :D

Nobody1234
03-21-2003, 08:12 PM
I think this is a good decision from the Admin/Mod Team.

I think the spamming will be greatly reduced and it will give more of a free atmosphere in here.

Good work team. :)

J'Pol
03-21-2003, 08:29 PM
Democracy

a government in which the supreme power is vested in the people and exercised by them directly or indirectly through a system of representation usually involving periodically held free elections

one who arbitrates

Well played. A collective Top Man of the day award. Not because I agree (or disagree) but because your actions are exemplary

ugluk
03-21-2003, 10:16 PM
good move admins & mods. :) but some threads in the Worlds are bound to go a little off-topic...

The Great Dude
03-22-2003, 01:42 AM
I just noticed this. :P It just sounds like you guys changed it back to the old way of the forum. Everything counts except the off-topic areas. This should be an intresting change to see. ;)

Nightwolf
03-22-2003, 04:41 AM
Originally posted by ugluk@21 March 2003 - 17:16
...some threads in the Worlds are bound to go a little off-topic...
Personally, I don't see any problem with that - as long as the messages are constructive and appropriate to this board. The problem is when users start replying with spam, just to increase their post count. In a community this large, there's always going to be a few trouble makers, that's just a fact of life. But if someone continually breaks the forum rules, it's up to the rest of us to let them know it. If they keep it up, report them to the Mods and let them decide what action to take.

Cheers to the Admin/Mod Team for making things fair again. :beerchug:

vegeta
03-22-2003, 08:23 AM
ya this will decrease problems of threads like:

y the posts do not count in disussion

etc. <_<

zapjb
03-22-2003, 02:59 PM
This sucks even more. You mods are off your nuts on these 2 recent decisions about post & star counts. I get 2 stars ripped from me. Then every idiot spammers gonna get 10,000 posts reinstated & have 5 stars to my 3 stars. Sorry but thats fucked up. I help people with a lot of my posts. A lot (not all) of these idiot spammers are just that. And some fn noobs gonna look at their 5 stars & believe that KL has spyware or the sky is falling. And said fn noobs not gonna believe me cause I only have 3 stars & 10,000 less posts than these fucking idiot spammers. Yeah, way to go. Repent before this gets out of hand. :angry:

j2k4
03-24-2003, 05:15 PM
I applaud these changes-
It&#39;ll have the effect of things/posters seeking their own level.
I don&#39;t know the workings of the minds of others, but I would not WANT post credit for what goes on in the lounge-post count=Q & A-not the blathering we do in the lounge.
I think the Mods do a great job.

wildhorse
03-26-2003, 11:46 AM
I am very suspiciouis of post counts, of all the boards I have been a member off, I find them very sus.

What should be looked at is the quality of the replies,.

If the reply quality aint looked closely at, a hundred posts could mount up very easily, with useless non - helpfull replies.

for example, look through the board at random & count the number of useless replies u see, all counting to post counts.

replies such as, " what a good idea, thats a good thing, how you doing, where have u been, " very crude examples I know, but you get the jist of what I mean.
In just that, I could have chalked up 4 posts, you multiply that by 10 different topics, you get the idea.

Boards are meant to be for help & the likes, not for every day chit chat, which adds to post counts.

Just my view on it.

This behaviour may explain why some members have such high post counts.
Just what would be there real post count, if all the useless comments were subtracted from the post counts ?

:shifty:

MagicNakor
03-26-2003, 12:26 PM
Sometimes posts such as "That&#39;s a good idea" or "That&#39;s a good thing" aren&#39;t useless posts. Not all the members speak English as a first (or even second) language. It&#39;s difficult to express yourself well in a language not your own. Sometimes other people are looking for feedback, so having a "What a good idea," post is helpful.

Generally, posts that deal with "Where have you been?" are in the Lounge, where posts don&#39;t count anyways.

:ninja:

Nightwolf
03-26-2003, 09:16 PM
Boards are meant to be for help & the likes, not for every day chit chat, which adds to post counts.

Yes but we&#39;re not just a bunch of robots (except maybe Bender). When you get to know some of the people here, it&#39;s more like having a conversation than writing a technical manual, and that means throwing in the occasional friendly chit chat.

This behaviour may explain why some members have such high post counts.
Just what would be there real post count, if all the useless comments were subtracted from the post counts ?

Yes there are some users who post a lot of useless spam just to increase their post count, but they quickly get a bad reputation and if the Mods don&#39;t take action against them, other users will (just read some of the posts about Wocus). I firmly believe that all posts should be counted.

zapjb
03-27-2003, 12:54 AM
My feeling is I would&#39;nt care about about some spammers 10,583 post count. But it irks me that fn spammer who&#39;s been here a month or so (basically a noob) got over 1000 posts. So they get 5 stars. And I earned my 4th & 5th stars like in 7 months for 500 posts. And they got yanked away. That&#39;s what fn pisses me off&#33; :angry:

J'Pol
03-27-2003, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by zapjb@27 March 2003 - 01:54
My feeling is I would&#39;nt care about about some spammers 10,583 post count. But it irks me that fn spammer who&#39;s been here a month or so (basically a noob) got over 1000 posts. So they get 5 stars. And I earned my 4th & 5th stars like in 7 months for 500 posts. And they got yanked away. That&#39;s what fn pisses me off&#33; :angry:
Does an obviously intelligent person like you really care about this. Or are you having a laugh. It&#39;s wee pictures for feck sake. It&#39;s not real. There&#39;s a whole world out here to care about. Why don&#39;t you join us.

ooo
03-27-2003, 01:04 AM
nooooo more change... change can never be good lol :P

Book World&#33;

J'Pol
03-27-2003, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by Soul814@27 March 2003 - 02:04
nooooo more change... change can never be good lol :P

Book World&#33;
I&#39;m sick of this type of crap from you as well. It&#39;s drivel. Do you even know what you are saying.

zapjb
03-27-2003, 01:17 AM
I care. I&#39;m not preoccupied by it though. Overall I&#39;m very satisfied by the efforts of the mods & admins. & members here. :)

J'Pol
03-27-2003, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by zapjb@27 March 2003 - 02:17
I care. I&#39;m not preoccupied by it though. Overall I&#39;m very satisfied by the efforts of the mods & admins. & members here. :)
Do you really care about the wee pictures.

zapjb
03-27-2003, 03:28 AM
Is it true that I REALLY care about the wee pictures? No. But I do care. :lol:

kAb
03-27-2003, 04:04 AM
watch out&#33; this might be sent to the lounge if you get off topic.

to keep it here...

o gosh&#33; this will be SO weird&#33;

wait not really. keep the updates coming cornerpocket, anything to make the board better :P :D