PDA

View Full Version : Avg Anti-virus

[Spam]
07-16-2004, 05:36 AM
I want to know what's the difference between AVG 6 Free Edition and AVG 7 Professional Edition.

And looking on the Grisoft site, which version would be suitable for me?

* AVG Professional
* AVG Network Edition
* AVG Email Server Edition
* AVG File Server Edition
* AVG SharePoint Server Edition
* AVG Linux Email Server Edition

I'm guessing AVG Professional will be fine for me.

iMartin
07-16-2004, 06:40 AM
If they're both free, go ahead with Pro. Or you can wait a bit more for Norton AntiVirus 2005 Pro, the beta is out, I'm waiting on the final release.

shn
07-16-2004, 06:55 AM
AVG sucks! And no matter which one you choose it will still say you have the Email Server Edition, unless they fixed that bug.

Try norton corp or nod32 instead.

zapjb
07-16-2004, 07:34 AM
KAV v5. :01:

muchspl2
07-16-2004, 08:49 AM
avg does not suck, get avg pro 7 if you can find it, think its still @ suprnova
stay away from norton products

manker
07-16-2004, 09:04 AM
It does not suck. In work I used Symantec Corp and got a virus, I then switched to AVG, at home I've been using the free version of AVG for about a year now and not got a virus.

What else do you want it to do? :unsure:

shn
07-16-2004, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by manker@16 July 2004 - 03:12
In work I used Symantec Corp and got a virus,
Then your sysadmin must did not update the virus defs on the main av server. Norton corp is designed to function as a client to an av server. The defs you get are from that server which the server gets from norton.

If you run Norton corp as a standalone application then you can exercise the update feature at your own discretion.

manker
07-16-2004, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by shn+16 July 2004 - 09:34--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (shn @ 16 July 2004 - 09:34)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-manker@16 July 2004 - 03:12
Then your sysadmin must did not update the virus defs. [/b][/quote]
If you mean the guy that takes care of the computers then that&#39;s me but a system admin isn&#39;t my trade :)

The virus definitions were up to date. The infected PC is not on the network though, it&#39;s full of MP3s and warez and is mine for messing about with at lunch or any other time I get to skive - like now. The auto detect did not detect the virus quickly enough and it destroyed a lot of the executables on my PC. To me AVG seems like lightening c.f. the bloated Symantec, the full system scanning time is certainly much quicker.

Storm
07-16-2004, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by manker+16 July 2004 - 11:35--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (manker @ 16 July 2004 - 11:35)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by shn@16 July 2004 - 09:34
<!--QuoteBegin-manker@16 July 2004 - 03:12
Then your sysadmin must did not update the virus defs.
If you mean the guy that takes care of the computers then that&#39;s me but a system admin isn&#39;t my trade :)

The virus definitions were up to date. The infected PC is not on the network though, it&#39;s full of MP3s and warez and is mine for messing about with at lunch or any other time I get to skive - like now. The auto detect did not detect the virus quickly enough and it destroyed a lot of the executables on my PC. To me AVG seems like lightening c.f. the bloated Symantec, the full system scanning time is certainly much quicker. [/b][/quote]
full system scanning is quicker, but there is nothing wrong with Norton......... it has the best intercepting rates available........ but uses more system resources....

i find AVG to defende my system well enough........ scans my comp fully EVERYDAY......... never finds a thing....... and the best part is its legally free&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

@ shn, i dont have the same problem, though it does say my OS is NT 4.0 build 2600........ though thats kinda true (XP).........

hungrylilboy
07-16-2004, 01:57 PM
Is 7.0.254 the latest build?

hungrylilboy
07-16-2004, 02:42 PM
which exe do u use when adding it to things like msn or DAP?

Storm
07-16-2004, 02:42 PM
the latest free version is (to my knowledge): 6.0.719

hungrylilboy
07-16-2004, 03:07 PM
i was talking about the pro version. So which .exe do i use please?

Chewie
07-16-2004, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by muchspl2@16 July 2004 - 08:57
17 trojans on an AVG protected system would indicate to me that it doesn&#39;t do quite enough protecting, either.
The owner of that system asked me to install NAV so after I&#39;d sorted out his computer, I did.

I personally have found NAV2003, NIS2003, SAV9, SCS2 and KAV4 to be perfectly good solutions and believe NOD32 to be another worthwhile investment, but I don&#39;t recommend AVG any more.

[Spam]
07-16-2004, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by hungrylilboy@16 July 2004 - 14:05
Is 7.0.254 the latest build?
Yes

Storm
07-16-2004, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by Chewie UK+16 July 2004 - 22:15--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Chewie UK @ 16 July 2004 - 22:15)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-muchspl2@16 July 2004 - 08:57
17 trojans on an AVG protected system would indicate to me that it doesn&#39;t do quite enough protecting, either.
The owner of that system asked me to install NAV so after I&#39;d sorted out his computer, I did.

I personally have found NAV2003, NIS2003, SAV9, SCS2 and KAV4 to be perfectly good solutions and believe NOD32 to be another worthwhile investment, but I don&#39;t recommend AVG any more. [/b][/quote]
a week a go i cleaned a friends comp.......... had 4 virii on it........... virii NAV 2004 DIDNT stop...... couldnt stop, cause they were on it to long (not longer that NAV though).......

i had to remove em with AVG..........

what im saying is that no AV 100% fullprove

to my experience, NAV just hoggs to much resources for the minimal extra protection it gives.........

Chewie
07-16-2004, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by Storm@16 July 2004 - 21:27
what im saying is that no AV 100% fullprove

to my experience, NAV just hoggs to much resources for the minimal extra protection it gives.........
True, none of them can guarantee virus-free computing.

Resources vs protection? I know which one I choose, and all the Norton, Symantec & Kaspersky products I&#39;ve used appear to have the same impact on my system; that being that they&#39;re only noticeable when they pop up a warning or update themselves. Perhaps it&#39;s something to do with the settings.

shn
07-17-2004, 12:26 AM
If you have a resident shield enabled them what the hell do you expect? It&#39;s constantly scanning and checking the files you access, on demand. So yes it&#39;s going to use some resources. How much depends on your pc and what it can handle.

For example, I wouldn&#39;t recommend trying to run anything Norton on a pc with 128 megs of ram. Not saying any of your pc&#39;s are that slow but suprisingly some people out there seem to believe they can get away with stuff like that. :lol:

Prodigy Girl
07-17-2004, 02:59 AM
I had both Norton and AVG installed when I downloaded a lot. Sometimes Norton would pick up infected files that AVG didn&#39;t detect, and vice-versa.

When I cleaned out my PC earlier this year, I decided to kept AVG Pro only. But for some strange reason, the key(s) that I used made my copy of the program invalid and changed the expiration date from several years to several days (Perhaps it was Gridsoft&#39;s way of disabling pirated copies?).

Well, I currently have Norton Corp on my PC, I haven&#39;t encountered any problems (so far).

atiVidia
07-17-2004, 03:12 AM
just head on over to norton&#39;s public beta section and get norton AV 2005 beta

works fine so far, AND ITS FREE&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

edit: 30 day timebomb :(

http://www.symantec.com/public_beta/

Hitchhiker427
07-17-2004, 06:26 AM
when I switched from Norton to AVG (I currently use NOD32 and love it), AVG found a bunch of viruses that Norton did not, and my Norton was up to date.

muchspl2
07-17-2004, 09:21 AM
yea thats common
all the norton people swear by it till it completely fucks their shit up
you have been warned

carquip@kazaa
07-17-2004, 09:40 AM
I agree boss, leave norton in the bin&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;. Uses far too many recources & bogs ur comp down. AVG full or pir, I have never had a prob with & 3 yrs now. Very little rec used & faster than nort in my experience.

longboneslinger
07-17-2004, 04:32 PM
Gotta agree with Much and the rest, NAV is shite. The last one I used was 03 Corp. I got a virus that f*@% my files up. After the clean up (Using some AVG toole) I tried to uninstall NAV. That was a worse headache than the virus. I had to download a special NAV uninstaller from Symantec, which is STUPID&#33; Their product should uninstall it&#39;s damn self with no special tools required. Then to add insult to injury, I had to manually eddit the registry to remove what the special tool missed. It was just shear hard headedness that kept me from reformatting. My comp was screwed from wednesday till saturday when I could devote half a day to fixing it. Half a day wasted on Norton BS. I&#39;ve seen it happen on other comps. Hell, I have family that uses NAV and I adamantly refuse to work on their comps for NAV probs.

As for AVG, I got 3 trojans using it. I now use Avast Pro off Suprnova. 2 and half years virus free. I also use 2 online virus scanners every monday night to verify.

I do, on the other hand like one aspect: I&#39;ve made a few &#036;&#036; working on Norton probs B) . The last was Norton firewall. Same uninstall prob. Made some nice cash-olla. Got&#39;m on Sygate now. Damn, shoulda left Norton on there for some extra &#036;&#036; on down the road&#33; :lol:

Later taters,
BoNe

manker
07-17-2004, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by [Spam]@16 July 2004 - 05:44
I want to know what&#39;s the difference between AVG 6 Free Edition and AVG 7 Professional Edition.

And looking on the Grisoft site, which version would be suitable for me?

* AVG Professional
* AVG Network Edition
* AVG Email Server Edition
* AVG File Server Edition
* AVG SharePoint Server Edition
* AVG Linux Email Server Edition

I&#39;m guessing AVG Professional will be fine for me.
I just noticed that in this fairly long thread absolutely no-one has answered the original question of what&#39;s the difference between AVG free version and the pro version :P

I have no idea since I have never felt the need to upgrade. Perhaps someone else can enlighten us though, I&#39;m curious too :)

shn
07-17-2004, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by longboneslinger@17 July 2004 - 10:40
Gotta agree with Much and the rest, NAV is shite. The last one I used was 03 Corp.
There is no 03 Corp. Norton 2003 Professional maybe? Because Corp will uninstall through the addd/remove programs section. Many people think all Norton products are the same that is false. The corp version will uninstall with no problems. It&#39;s the bloated professional versions that do things like disable system restore and other stuff on your computer just so it can install.

Chewie
07-17-2004, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by shn@17 July 2004 - 19:16
There is no 03 Corp. Norton 2003 Professional maybe?
Yes, there seem to be a lot of ex-users of the legendary Norton Corp AV.

Regarding the "I don&#39;t work on Norton installatioins"... I don&#39;t either, because the customers I have using it don&#39;t have amy problems with it.

Hitchhiker427
07-18-2004, 05:34 AM
Well, even though Norton did not detect viruses that were on my computer and used a bunch of resources, I didn&#39;t have many problems with it.

I think the only time a really had a problem with it was when I transfered the contents of one hard drive to another, bigger one, and Norton screwed up on virus definitions. Norton is the most annoying program to uninstall it and then reinstall again to fix problems. Even if you uninstall Norton, it leaves crap all over your computer, and this crap prevents a successful reinstallation. So, if you don&#39;t ever intend on dropping Norton&#39;s, then it works just fine :D &#33;

shn
07-18-2004, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by Hitchhiker427@17 July 2004 - 23:42
Well, even though Norton did not detect viruses that were on my computer and used a bunch of resources, I didn&#39;t have many problems with it.

I think the only time a really had a problem with it was when I transfered the contents of one hard drive to another, bigger one, and Norton screwed up on virus definitions. Norton is the most annoying program to uninstall it and then reinstall again to fix problems. Even if you uninstall Norton, it leaves crap all over your computer, and this crap prevents a successful reinstallation. So, if you don&#39;t ever intend on dropping Norton&#39;s, then it works just fine :D &#33;
No program completely removes itself from your system even upon an uninstall. That&#39;s what the registry and reg editors are for.

Gilojeleia
07-18-2004, 10:22 PM
And zone alarm security suite? Ive protected my pc with Norton, but its too "heavy". Then i changed to avast but it crashed all the time. Third option was avg, but it let some trojan free. So I use Zone alarm security suite plus avg free edition ( 6.xx) and some online scan like TrendMicro Housecall.

Sorry for the poor english. :rolleyes:

rr_kingozz
07-19-2004, 02:11 AM
I just recently added ram to my system and NIS2003 runs without any performance issues at all. If you don&#39;t have much ram, then don&#39;t use Norton.

Storm
07-19-2004, 03:10 AM
Originally posted by rr_kingozz@19 July 2004 - 03:19
NIS2003 runs without any performance issues at all. If you don&#39;t have much ram, then don&#39;t use Norton.
it doesnt run w/o performance issues, but if you dont have enough RAM, you shouldnt use it.........

<_< but what if you have enough RAM and dont want some program to demand it all?

longboneslinger
07-21-2004, 11:57 PM
Hmmm....Make it just plain old NAV 03. Sorry shn, it&#39;s been a while.

As for Chewie, I&#39;m happy for you and your customers. I&#39;ve had a few probs with Norton products in general and NAV in particular over the years. Norton is just to hoggish of resources and when it does decide to screw up, it does it in a grand manner.

As for uninstalls, products don&#39;t fully uninstall. And yes, that&#39;s what registry editors are for, but damnit, they should at least clean up after themselves well enough not to Bork the system afterwards&#33;

As for the diff between AVG free and Pro, it appears that the only diff is that Pro gives more options such as scanning methods. A quick scan of their website wasn&#39;t very revealing, however. The main product, e.g. the AV itself, appears to be the same. Pro is more flexible, for example, but detects no better. I could be wrong. I would like to think this is the case and I saw nothing to indicate otherwise.

If I&#39;m wrong, please correct me.

BoNe