PDA

View Full Version : Ftp Question. A Dumb Question

dwightfry
07-17-2004, 01:48 AM
My site's on a FTP, but I haven't been able to log onto it for ages. I'm using a friends FTP.

How do I allow people to download from the FTP? Before I would use my web address...but I don't know what the address is (if any) for this FTP.

What would the link be?

dwightfry
07-17-2004, 02:13 AM
Somebody help me please....at least nudge me in the right direction.

I'm getting so frustrated!

(damn...I knew I should have put this in the lounge)

manker
07-17-2004, 02:19 AM
use this address to connect with Internet Explorer to the ftp:

ftp://<<your friend&#39;s IP>> (put this in the browser address bar - note put your friends IP directly after the / without the &#39;<<&#39;)

If you have a username and pass for the ftp then use this format:

ftp://username@<<your friend&#39;s IP>> the browser will then ask you for the pass.

dwightfry
07-17-2004, 02:21 AM
Is there anyway to do it without giving out the password?

I don&#39;t know if he would want me to do that.

Like I said before, my FTP was web1000. I could give links to files by using my website. www.brownsugarstudios.web1000.com/files/filename. If I don&#39;t know the site he is hosting, is there no other way to do that?

sparsely
07-17-2004, 03:45 AM
if you have the ability to change/create FTP accounts, just great one called guest with a password of &#39;guest&#39; or something.

and you should still be able to give direct http links to files for stuff, unless it&#39;s in a protected directory.

NightStalker
07-17-2004, 04:03 AM
Originally posted by Sparsely@16 July 2004 - 22:53
if you have the ability to change/create FTP accounts, just great one called guest with a password of &#39;guest&#39; or something.

and you should still be able to give direct http links to files for stuff, unless it&#39;s in a protected directory.
But the simple solution would be to add an "anonymous" account without a need for a password at all.