PDA

View Full Version : How To Boot To Dos With Windows Xp

Vargas
07-17-2004, 03:26 PM
to boot to DOS with windows XP you need a bootable floppy
to create one go to "My Computer" then right click the A:\ drive and select "Format" then check the "Create an MS-DOS startup-disk" option then hit start.
you can then boot to dos if you have that in the A:\ drive when you restart your pc.

P.S. someone asked how to do this back before the board blew up, and the post is gone now. better late then never :lol:

longboneslinger
07-17-2004, 04:03 PM
P.S. someone asked how to do this back before the board blew up, and the post is gone now. better late then never :lol: 

Too true! 'Course, most can just go to the safe mode command prompt by tapping F8 during reboot. Most of the time this will do the job. Not true DOS level, but only rarely have I run into a need to go to true DOS except to kill some app that won't delete any other way. The last time was a vid file that was supposedly, I repeat-suppodedly- a trailer for the new Spiderman 2 movie. It turned out to be a pron flik involving a woman and a horse....I had to go to dos to remove it as it defied my shredder and it couldn't touch it even on reboot.

Thx Vargas, you may have saved us some 'how to ....' threads!

Later
BoNe

Vargas
07-17-2004, 04:16 PM
well the main reason someone would want to boot to DOS is to run DOS games or apps without having windoze eating up CPU and memory.
but yeah i guess it would be good for deleting files that you can't figure out how to del from windows :P

longboneslinger
07-21-2004, 11:31 PM
Jeeeeez.........DOS games.........forgot'em......DOH!! :rolleyes:

Oh well, it's been so long sice I played any it never crossed my mind.

sparsely
07-21-2004, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by Vargas@17 July 2004 - 11:17
well the main reason someone would want to boot to DOS is to run DOS games or apps without having windoze eating up CPU and memory.
but yeah i guess it would be good for deleting files that you can't figure out how to del from windows :P
yeah, cuz Zork is such a resource-hog. :rolleyes:

musicmaster
07-21-2004, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by Vargas@17 July 2004 - 08:17
@ Vargas... maybe you can help, as the other ways I have tried didn't work.

Here's my post:

http://filesharingtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=118255

Thanks in advance

BTW Sparsley, I tried with using ren and not rename like fkdup suggested and that did not work either.

DrSpud
07-22-2004, 01:17 AM
Just thought I should add this: You might not be able to access your drive if it's NTFS formatted. I'm pretty sure DOS only works with FAT file systems. Be warned.