PDA

View Full Version : What Does This Msg Mean?!?!

robnyt
07-17-2004, 05:20 PM
WINDOWS - VIRTUAL MEMORY MINIMUM TOO LOW
Your system is low on virtual memory. Windows is increasing the size of your virtual memory paging file. During this process, memory requests for some applications may be denied.

What is this? What causes it and how do I do something about it?

Thanks.

{I}{K}{E}
07-17-2004, 05:34 PM
Generally, windows loads programs and data that you are using in the foreground to physical memory and unloads them to a pagefile (which is on your hard drive) when it is in the backgroud.

If you have too many apps running or apps that are working with a lot of data, the memory and pagefile can get full. You can try increasing the size of the pagefile by going to the task manager -> performance -> advanced -> settings -> change.

Also, try to figure out if you have any spyware/adware that might be sucking up memory.

If you are running a lot of apps at the same time, you might simply need more RAM.

Entity101
07-17-2004, 05:36 PM
That means that the programs that are currently running on your computer require more Virtual Memory than you have allocated by default.

If you get this message often, then you should increase the default allocation a bit.

Control Panel > System > Advanced > Performance Options > Virtual Memory

Edit: damn too late :P

{I}{K}{E}
07-17-2004, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by Error403@17 July 2004 - 18:44
Edit: damn too late :P
:P

old google, copy/paste trick ;)

Virtualbody1234
07-18-2004, 03:26 AM
I can't remember.

tesco
07-18-2004, 03:37 AM
Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@17 July 2004 - 22:34
I can't remember.
;)

:lol:

Broken
07-18-2004, 04:02 AM
As said above...
you've ran out of room for everything your running in you pysical memory (RAM).
so your system is using part of your hard drive to make up for this (virutal memory).

Differnce being, virutal memory is measured in seconds (very slow), while ram is measured in milliseconds (fast). if you are running new software on your computer that you will be using regular, it's time to invest in some more ram.

Chewie
07-18-2004, 05:03 AM
Originally posted by Broken@18 July 2004 - 04:10
As said above...
you've ran out of room for everything your running in you pysical memory (RAM).
so your system is using part of your hard drive to make up for this (virutal memory).

Differnce being, virutal memory is measured in seconds (very slow), while ram is measured in milliseconds (fast). if you are running new software on your computer that you will be using regular, it's time to invest in some more ram.
Thank you for alerting us to your lack of understanding of the way Windows pages memory.

Broken
07-18-2004, 05:47 AM
Originally posted by Chewie UK+18 July 2004 - 05:11--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Chewie UK @ 18 July 2004 - 05:11)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Broken@18 July 2004 - 04:10
As said above...
you&#39;ve ran out of room for everything your running in you pysical memory (RAM).
so your system is using part of your hard drive to make up for this (virutal memory).&nbsp;

Differnce being, virutal memory is measured in seconds (very slow), while ram is measured in milliseconds (fast).&nbsp; if you are running new software on your computer that you will be using regular, it&#39;s time to invest in some more ram.
Thank you for alerting us to your lack of understanding of the way Windows pages memory. [/b][/quote]
here you go cheiwe...
I think you should read this.
How Stuff Works, What Is Virtual Memory.
http://search.netscape.com/ns/boomframe.js...question684.htm (http://search.netscape.com/ns/boomframe.jsp?query=virtual+memory&page=1&offset=0&result_url=redir%3Fsrc%3Dwebsearch%26requestId%3D12d425157c498178%26clickedItemRank%3D2%26userQuery%3Dvirtual%2Bmemory%26clickedItemURN%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fcomputer.howstuffworks.com%252Fquestion684.htm%26invocationType%3D-%26fromPage%3DnsBrowserRoll%26amp%3BampTest%3D1&remove_url=http%3A%2F%2Fcomputer.howstuffworks.com%2Fquestion684.htm)
you&#39;ll learn alot.
;)

Chewie
07-18-2004, 06:15 AM
Originally posted by Broken+18 July 2004 - 05:55--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Broken @ 18 July 2004 - 05:55)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Chewie UK@18 July 2004 - 05:11

Originally posted by Broken@18 July 2004 - 04:10
As said above...
you&#39;ve ran out of room for everything your running in you pysical memory (RAM).

Differnce being, virutal memory is measured in seconds (very slow), while ram is measured in milliseconds (fast). if you are running new software on your computer that you will be using regular, it&#39;s time to invest in some more ram.
Thank you for alerting us to your lack of understanding of the way Windows pages memory.
here you go cheiwe...
I think you should read this.
How Stuff Works, What Is Virtual Memory.
http://search.netscape.com/ns/boomframe.js...question684.htm (http://search.netscape.com/ns/boomframe.jsp?query=virtual+memory&page=1&offset=0&result_url=redir%3Fsrc%3Dwebsearch%26requestId%3D12d425157c498178%26clickedItemRank%3D2%26userQuery%3Dvirtual%2Bmemory%26clickedItemURN%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fcomputer.howstuffworks.com%252Fquestion684.htm%26invocationType%3D-%26fromPage%3DnsBrowserRoll%26amp%3BampTest%3D1&remove_url=http%3A%2F%2Fcomputer.howstuffworks.com%2Fquestion684.htm)
you&#39;ll learn alot.
;) [/b]
Erm, you said this:
<!--QuoteBegin-Broken@18 July 2004 - 04:10
so your system is using part of your hard drive to make up for this (virutal memory).&nbsp; [/quote]
Perhaps the page you linked to is incomplete (I didn&#39;t bother going there) because it should point out that if you set your pagefile to vary between 1MB and, say 768MB, Windows will be using it before you have loaded up all your physcal RAM; if you add up everything in Task Manager to find it less than your physical RAM, the presence of a large pagefile is an indication of this.

Windows XP does not start using a pagefle when you run out of physical RAM, it does it all the time.

Double-gaffe: you also posted 11 and a half hours after [I] [K] [E] had explained it perfectly.

Yes, I might have learned something from your link, but perhaps you&#39;ve just learned two things by posting it: how Windows XP handles memory paging, and how to look silly by being sarcy when you shouldn&#39;t. ;)

Broken
07-18-2004, 06:38 AM
What i said is that windows was setting up more virtual memory because of the amount of appplications he was running or perhapes the amount of ram that one application was using. The little "notepad" that virtual memory is wasn&#39;t big enough to accomadate everything.

No, not all files run in physical memory at every minute. That is reserved for those componets of that program(s) that are running at that time. Meaning, that if you are running an application that requires some 256mbs of ram to run properly so that all the nessecary componets can be accessed speedly, and you only have 128mbs installed windows will have to swap between ram and virtual memory for those componets. It will result in slowdown. Why, because instead of going to ram to cpu it will have to be searched for on the hard drive, then loaded to ram and then to cpu.

And I also subjested that if the program was something that was going to be used regularly, it would be a good idea to invest in some more ram.

Is all of this correct?

Chewie
07-18-2004, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by Broken@18 July 2004 - 06:46
What i said is that windows was setting up more virtual memory because of the amount of appplications he was running or perhapes the amount of ram that one application was using.&nbsp; The little "notepad" that virtual memory is wasn&#39;t big enough to accomadate everything.

No, not all files run in physical memory at every minute.&nbsp; That is reserved for those componets of that program(s) that are running at that time.&nbsp; Meaning, that if you are running an application that requires some 256mbs of ram to run properly so that all the nessecary componets can be accessed speedly, and you only have 128mbs installed windows will have to swap between ram and virtual memory for those componets.&nbsp; It will result in slowdown.&nbsp; Why, because instead of going to ram to cpu it will have to be searched for on the hard drive, then loaded to ram and then to cpu.

And I also subjested that if the program was something that was going to be used regularly, it would be a good idea to invest in some more ram.&nbsp;

Is all of this correct?

If that&#39;s what you meant then you should&#39;ve written that, not:

...you&#39;ve ran out of room for everything your running in you pysical memory (RAM).
so your system is using part of your hard drive to make up for this...because that implies Windows only uses the pagefile when physical RAM is full.

I had an argument with my eldest daughter when she said it wasn&#39;t her fault she failed a history test because the teacher didn&#39;t understand what she&#39;d written. I explained to her that if you&#39;re explaining something to someone, you have to make yourself understood and using the I know what I meant excuse is absolutely no defence.

Broken
07-18-2004, 07:11 AM
I was anwsering the question.
The sentence "...you&#39;ve ran out of room for everything your running in you pysical memory (RAM).so your system is using part of your hard drive to make up for this"
is absolutly true, as is the rest of my first post. If there was more physical memory, there wouldn&#39;t be a strain on virtual. You read my post with one intention. And did not even consider what I had writen.

Jumping to conclusions,
"Thank you for alerting us to your lack of understanding of the way Windows pages memory."
does one thing....

lynx
07-18-2004, 10:37 AM
:frusty:

Just thought I&#39;d save you the trouble, Chewie. :lol:

Chewie
07-18-2004, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by lynx@18 July 2004 - 10:45
:frusty:

Just thought I&#39;d save you the trouble, Chewie. :lol:
LOL