PDA

View Full Version : Dvd Drive Problem

angel_of_death57
07-18-2004, 06:22 PM
Hi,

My dvd drive will read normal cd's but will notread DVD's at all any ideas at all its really odd i don't know what going on.

lynx
07-18-2004, 06:45 PM
Questions:

Which one (you've got 2 in your sig)?
Recorded or pressed media?
Is this on new hardware or hardware which has been working for some time?
Does it not read them, or simply not play dvd movies?

angel_of_death57
07-18-2004, 07:00 PM
its my 4KUS one.

It used to work. Both DVD and DVD-R media. Works fine with CD's.

It just does not think a disc is inserted and says please insert a disc. It takes sometimes and tries to read it.

lynx
07-18-2004, 07:13 PM
Just wondered, I sometimes get that, particularly just after I've burnt a dvd, but it usually fixes itself after inserting a pre-recorded cd.

I cured the problem by taking it apart and moving the laser mechanism about, and cleaning the lens. Not sure which one fixed it. That was a couple of months ago and now it is starting to play up again.

If you don't fancy taking it apart you can get something which will clean the lens, but that won't help if it's a mechanism problem.

The other thing is what OS are you using?

DVD's use a different file system from CD's, if the drivers have got corrupted it could explain the problem, but I don't suppose it would read any DVD's then.

Edit: forget that last bit, that would affect both drives, so it is almost certain to be the drive itself. Go into device manager and delete the drive, then reboot and let the system redetect it. If that doesn't cure the problem it must be the drive.

angel_of_death57
07-18-2004, 07:35 PM
I am using Windows XP Home Edition i tried a lens cleaner disc no different and it not a burner just a standard reader of CD's and DVD's.

angel_of_death57
07-18-2004, 07:37 PM
Also if i unistall it will the pc redetect it ok. When i boot up do i need to do anything

lynx
07-18-2004, 08:18 PM
I realised it was just a reader, it was the bit about the mechanism and the lens i was trying to emphasise.

Simply go into device manager, select the drive and hit the delete button. Windows will automatically redetect it next time you reboot, but you may have to reboot again after it has detected it. You don't have to do anything yourself.

The drivers must all be present otherwise you would have the same problems with the other drive. Redeteting should remove any doubts that the settings for the drive have become corrupted, or fix the problem if they have.

Virtualbody1234
07-18-2004, 08:23 PM
Have you tried simply restarting your PC?

angel_of_death57
07-18-2004, 09:15 PM
Well i took it apart, unistalled it, restarted pc, cleaned lens and still got a problem. How comeit can read CD's but no DVD ?????? aaaaaahhhhhhhhhh

muchspl2
07-19-2004, 12:43 AM
maybe its busted, you coud try updating the firmware before you toss it out and get a newer one
should get a dvdrw, can get a nec for about 60 bucks

zapjb
07-19-2004, 01:32 AM
On mine I had to install the included PowerDVD software before it would play/read DVDs.

tesco
07-19-2004, 02:40 AM
Originally posted by muchspl2@18 July 2004 - 19:51
maybe its busted, you coud try updating the firmware before you toss it out and get a newer one
should get a dvdrw, can get a nec for about 60 bucks
He's already got a dvd burner though.

I say just forget it. Maybe after formatting your computer it might strat working again, if not then just use your burner to play movies. no big deal.

btw, have you tried putting in a dvd then restart to see if it is then detected?

muchspl2
07-19-2004, 02:52 AM
didn't read his sig,:P oh well use it for cdrs till it completely gives out, then get a new one

angel_of_death57
07-19-2004, 10:34 AM
Well tired to re-install PowerDVD nothing different. Tried putting the DVD in and restarting pc nothing different.

I would use the burner to read dvd's but its only 12x read not 16x like my DVD-ROM.

I could do a quick reformatt if i could bluddy find my CD's for it.

angel_of_death57
07-19-2004, 03:55 PM
Riht well i did a quick format and got a trojan doing it :angry: but AVG got rid of it. I hate that when you reformat and all microsoft updates go away.

So i will buy a new DVD-ROM, when i get it do i unistall and disconnectthe old one and put in new one and will windows xp automatically detect it.

tesco
07-19-2004, 04:04 PM
ya just put the new one in and xp will detect it automatically.

might be better if u uninstall the old one from windows before removing it but i've never done that so it's not necessary.

angel_of_death57
07-19-2004, 04:14 PM
I will see how it goes thanksfor all the help.

Getting a Samsung SD-616EEPB or the LG GDR-8163BL

accat13
07-19-2004, 08:05 PM
If you like overclocking and playing with the hardware have a look around here at the liteon forum ..cdfreaks liteon forum (http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)...I have a sohw812s@sohw832s now all i need to do is find some DL media in Canada :D

angel_of_death57
07-19-2004, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by accat13@19 July 2004 - 21:13
If you like overclocking and playing with the hardware have a look around here at the liteon forum ..cdfreaks liteon forum (http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)...I have a sohw812s@sohw832s now all i need to do is find some DL media in Canada :D
Whats that got to do with anything of this thread ?????????????? nothing get lost