PDA

View Full Version : Why Doesnt Shareaza Connect To Overnet?

Fastrap
07-19-2004, 02:19 AM
why did the developers choose to just connect to edonkey and emule and leave out overnet?

muchspl2
07-19-2004, 02:33 AM
its open source, feel free to code it yourself
maybe they gave up on it because the individual clients consistently proved slower than shareaza

Alex H
07-19-2004, 02:39 AM
Overnet is the one you have to pay for - so if the developers are making money off it, they won't want to give the source code away. edonkey2000 is free and open source, so Mike built Shareaza with ed2k features.

Shareaza has a policy of only including open networks.

Digital Nirvana
07-19-2004, 02:41 AM
Originally posted by Alex H@19 July 2004 - 02:47
Overnet is the one you have to pay for - so if the developers are making money off it, they won't want to give the source code away. edonkey2000 is free and open source, so Mike built Shareaza with ed2k features.

you really have no idea what your talking about..

theres a basic, ad supported version of overnet just like there is for edonkey..the only ones you have to pay for are the pro versions.

muchspl2
07-19-2004, 02:49 AM
yea but arn't those versions hacked off the pro, like kazza lite is to kmd ?

Digital Nirvana
07-20-2004, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by muchspl2@19 July 2004 - 02:57
yea but arn't those versions hacked off the pro, like kazza lite is to kmd ?
No..Scroll down a little bit' and you'll see the basic version. (http://overnet.com/downloads.php) ;)

~Digital Nirvana

Alex H
07-21-2004, 03:13 AM
Originally posted by Digital Nirvana+19 July 2004 - 02:49--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Digital Nirvana @ 19 July 2004 - 02:49)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Alex H@19 July 2004 - 02:47
Overnet is the one you have to pay for - so if the developers are making money off it, they won&#39;t want to give the source code away. edonkey2000 is free and open source, so Mike built Shareaza with ed2k features.

you really have no idea what your talking about..

theres a basic, ad supported version of overnet just like there is for edonkey..the only ones you have to pay for are the pro versions. [/b][/quote]
Sorry - Overnet Basic is ad-supported and as such, I do not recognize it. I also do not recognize p2p software I have to pay for.

I can&#39;t find the Overnet source code on their website, so its not like it&#39;s exactly OPEN source.

Digital Nirvana
07-21-2004, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Alex H@21 July 2004 - 03:14
Sorry - Overnet Basic is ad-supported and as such, I do not recognize it.
So is E-donkey2000 ;)

I also do not recognize p2p software I have to pay for.

....emm, good for you?

Ynhockey
08-09-2004, 01:40 AM
Overnet&#39;s official client might be free (the ad-supported one), but it&#39;s still not an open-source network, so I guess it would be difficult for Shareaza&#39;s devs (or previously, just Mike) to be able to connect to it, so they just don&#39;t want to waste the time.

In fact, on the Shareaza forum there are several stickies explaining why Shareaza won&#39;t add support to any more networks (that exist now, at present circumstances).

Alex H
08-10-2004, 02:33 AM
The new Edonky is a hybrid of ed2k and overnet, so in theory Shareaza client are now able to connec to it. How well it will work remains to be seen...

powerstick
10-08-2004, 07:33 PM
the new edonkey is supposed to be the same thing as Overnet or on the same network.

This should clear things up.

------------------------------------

What is eDonkey?
eDonkey is the most advanced file sharing application around. It is a completely decentralized peer to peer network. It allows you to trade any type of file, mp3s, video, images, software, etc. It runs on Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux.

What is Overnet?
Overnet is the distributed search network that the donkey uses to find files. It was a standalone application but we have now combined both clients into one.

7.30.04: New Version
We have released a new version of the donkey. Overnet is now just bundled within the donkey. So there is just one client to choose.

Souce: Overnet.com