PDA

View Full Version : New Star Trek

Busyman
07-19-2004, 02:50 AM
....is to be lead by the writer of Babylon 5, J. Michael Straszynski.

It should definitely be great!!!

Remember when DS9 cam out?

J. Michael was supposed to write for that but got shafted and so wrote Babylon 5, my favorite sci-fi series of all time!!!!

Seeing that B5 was written with a master plan (5 seasons that would read like a continuous book) there is great hope for the new Star Trek series.

If anything, that fact that Rick Berman and Brannon Braga won&#39;t be doing it. <_<

SuperJude™
07-19-2004, 06:06 AM
I have been a Trek fan for a long time, let&#39;s put it that way. It all really started going downhill on DS9, what could have been a great show but to me ended up being very mediocre compared to Next Generation and how that series had ended. Voyager was okay and fell prey to a couple weak plotlines and some unfortunate casting mistakes.

But Enterprise? Listen, I downloaded every ep for 2 seasons and really thought that Bakula was gonna be the man (Quantum Leap being another all time fave) and the show always felt.....directed. And by that I mean there is no longer any of the suspend your belief wonderfulness that had existed before, and what appears on screen is a bunch of actors on a set.

Disheartening and for the first time ever, I have turned my back on a Trek series.

I can only hope they come up with better characters and more throrough plotlines.

-SJ™

EDIT: And let me add that Babylon Five actually suprised me by it&#39;s depth and longevity. It ended up having more vision than the last couple Trek series and movies.

Busyman
07-19-2004, 06:34 AM
Originally posted by SuperJude™@19 July 2004 - 02:14
EDIT: And let me add that Babylon Five actually suprised me by it&#39;s depth and longevity. It ended up having more vision than the last couple Trek series and movies.
Imagine if J. Michael wrote DS9.

I wonder if somehow the B5 series was actually supposed to be DS9.
(with name changes of course)

SuperJude™
07-19-2004, 06:49 AM
Well I had thought there were similarities since both shows aired around the same time, based on a mixed species craft etc. Back then I had no idea there was any connection between the 2 camps. I actually, I have to admit, scoffed at Babylon 5 when it first came out, like c&#39;mon how much of a rip off can you be? But it is really a decent series, and if he&#39;d had the budget Paramount throws behind Trek, who nows, I can only hope.

People forget, it isn&#39;t about marketing or demographics, it all starts with the writing, something the franchise has futily lacked. Even the last 2 Trek movies have been more like extended series eps. Being a devotee since the 70&#39;s I think this could be a step in admitting a problem and trying to change it.

:)

We&#39;ll see of course.

-SJ™

Snee
07-19-2004, 12:28 PM
Sounds promising.

I wonder when it&#39;ll take place :unsure:

At any rate it could become very cool.

EDit: and btw unfortunate casting mistakes on Voyager?

God-damned Janeway nearly put me off star trek for good.

Nogimics
07-19-2004, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by SnnY@19 July 2004 - 12:36

Say that again.

been a Trek fan for years and I actually liked Voyager, but didn&#39;t it end shit. OMG all those episodes and hours of downloading to get to the end episode for it to end like that :o :( Plus yes the casting was crap in places and some episodes were utter shite. However Jeri Ryan (7 of 9) made up for that :D

I really hope the new series is better as Enterprise is utter shite they should never of done a pre-series <_<

Busyman
07-19-2004, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by SuperJude™@19 July 2004 - 02:57
Well I had thought there were similarities since both shows aired around the same time, based on a mixed species craft etc. Back then I had no idea there was any connection between the 2 camps. I actually, I have to admit, scoffed at Babylon 5 when it first came out, like c&#39;mon how much of a rip off can you be? But it is really a decent series, and if he&#39;d had the budget Paramount throws behind Trek, who nows, I can only hope.

People forget, it isn&#39;t about marketing or demographics, it all starts with the writing, something the franchise has futily lacked. Even the last 2 Trek movies have been more like extended series eps. Being a devotee since the 70&#39;s I think this could be a step in admitting a problem and trying to change it.

:)

We&#39;ll see of course.

-SJ™
I didn&#39;t watch B5 at all on TV.

I thought the same thing; it&#39;s a rip-off. I mean 2 space station shows at the same time with numbers in their name. <_<

I didn&#39;t watch B5 until I downloaded an episode I dl&#39;ed off KL. Next thing ya know I have every episode of all 5 season on my HD.

I had a large monitor and a futon in my computer room, so bought an alarm clock and fell asleep watching episodes day after day until I finished the series (including the prequel, and other B5 movies).

They even transitioned the series to Crusade very well which reminds me of Voyager btw. <_<

Another footnote:

J. Michael looks to have been ripped-off again.

The USA miniseries, The 4400 is strikingly similar to Joe&#39;s comic book Rising Stars.

Busyman
07-19-2004, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Nogimics+19 July 2004 - 11:38--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Nogimics @ 19 July 2004 - 11:38)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-SnnY@19 July 2004 - 12:36

Say that again.

been a Trek fan for years and I actually liked Voyager, but didn&#39;t it end shit. OMG all those episodes and hours of downloading to get to the end episode for it to end like that :o :( Plus yes the casting was crap in places and some episodes were utter shite. However Jeri Ryan (7 of 9) made up for that :D

I really hope the new series is better as Enterprise is utter shite they should never of done a pre-series <_< [/b][/quote]
I have liked Enterprise as of late. :(

This Xindi story has put more action in the series.

Darth Sushi
07-19-2004, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by SnnY@19 July 2004 - 13:36
Were her hooters too small? :P (unlike 7 of 9&#39;s)

SuperJude™
07-19-2004, 08:24 PM
Types of casting mistakes I hope they never make again (and reasons I only d/l TNG and TOS):

Wesley Crusher (TNG)- good idea, but Will Wheaton.......&#39;nuff said. Not series altering though.

Kira Nerys(DS9)- the actress had no presence, and actually the part was written for the Endsign Ro character, but the actress declined. I really hated her though the whole series, and I can&#39;t believe others didn&#39;t see it at Paramount.

Chakotay (Voyager)- first off, bad actor. Presence of old cottage cheese. The character was badly written. In the first ep he is a maqui, a rebel, then spends the rest of the series being a suck up. I wish they had killed him off first ep, I would have liked the character more.

Tuvok (Voyager)- Now a lot of people liked Tim Russ as a Vulcan. Personally I hate every Vulcan anymore. The actors don&#39;t get teh subtlety that Nimoy used to portray Spock. They all seem to think standing bolt upright and using as little facial movement as possible makes a good Vulcan. He is the prime example of this, and a character I really tried to like.

Enterprise: The whole cast, even the Vulcan (see above). What worked for Bakula in Quantum Leap, his disarming goofy charm and a bit of athleticism, works against him as a Starfleet captain.

Well that is that, and as well as J. Michael writes I hope he has say on casting too, since his aliens were always more personable than the latter Trek series alien actors.

-SJ™

manker
07-19-2004, 09:20 PM
SuperJude, great Star Trek posts.

I never gave much thought to the actress playing Kira not being suitable, probably due to her being a bit of a sort, I also thought Tim Russ played a Vulcan as well as anyone can but I wholeheartedly concur with your Chakotay analysis - moreover the Wil Wheaton cheesefest was unfortunate and ruined potentially excellent episodes (for me) truly annoying.

Like you I gave up on Enterprise but rather earlier in the series. Commander Trip Tucker was more than I could bear after only a couple of episodes. I may yet download the series tho&#39;.

BTW does anyone know what the premis of the new Star Trek series will be?