PDA

View Full Version : Winamp Troubles

ninjamonkey
07-19-2004, 03:57 AM
I also posted this on the Winamp forum, but I'm hopign you guys can help me.

OK, so my comp has crashed 3 times tonight and I think each one was caused by Winamp. Two of the crashes were blue screen/physical memory dumps and the third was some weird black screen.

Crash 1. Winamp caused a blue screen/physical memory dump after i tried playing a few normal files. I think the problem was that i set the output plugin to "Nullsoft Disc Writer" from "DirectSound" accidentally. So, the comp automatically restarted. This led to Crash 2. (The windows error report said the crash had to do with some disc writing thing so I think my guess is right)

Crash 2. I re-opened Winamp, but before I even saw it open, my screen turned black. After 15 seconds of waiting/confusion, I hit escape. Then my screen goes back to normal except the colors in my AOL Instant Messenger are all askew. I restart. The windows error report said there was an error in some ATI Graphics Card.

Crash 3. Winamp appeared to be running fine and then all of a sudden, right when i push the "AVS/Video" button to get the visual window to open, I get another blue screen/physical memory dump. The comp automatically restarted itself and there was no error report.

The only reason I can think of Winamp crashing is related to me putting in a new hard drive today. I know the problem is not the hard drive because I put the hard drive in this afternoon (wasn't using Winamp) and there were no problems. The problems only started when I started using Winamp tonight.
So is it possible that Winamp (all it's files are located on hard drive 1) is having trouble playing music files that are located on hard drive 2?

I really need help, I want my computer to stop crashing.

I have Windows XP Home
Dell Dimension 4500
256 MB RAM
New HD = Seagate Barracuda 120 GB

iMartin
07-19-2004, 04:01 AM
:blink: Way over my head, why not just try Real Player instead? ;)

ninjamonkey
07-19-2004, 04:04 AM
Real Player? ugghh.

I want to fix the Winamp problem. And I will never use Real Player unless I have to.

slim150
07-19-2004, 04:06 AM
perhaps save all your playlists and stuff, give it an uninstall and reinstall it. I had this problem with winamp recently that everytime i accessed my media list it woudl crash. so i uninstalled it, and downloaded it again and it works goodie goodie again

ninjamonkey
07-19-2004, 04:11 AM
do you suggest dling the installer again?

slim150
07-19-2004, 04:15 AM
thats what i did. although its not really a "solution" to your problem, but worth a shot if something better doesnt come along

ninjamonkey
07-19-2004, 05:18 AM
Ok, i went into the Winamp folder to try to uninstall Winamp. I clicked on something that had "Un" in the title (maybe "Unwise" or something similar?) thinking it was the uninstaller. When it opened it said something about "themes" and picking the one i want. I thought, "ok, i don't care about the skins." Well, it seemed to have uninstalled something, but not winamp. Does anyone have any idea what it could have uninstalled?

I actually did uninstall winamp after that and then reinstalled, but i that first uninstaller i used is not there. So I guess it's not made by nullsoft or something, but it's still for winamp. please help.

slim150
07-19-2004, 05:22 AM
to remove a program its best to do it in the add/remove programs thats located in the control panel which is start->settings->control panel

ninjamonkey
07-19-2004, 05:42 AM
winamp has its own uninstaller though.

Do you have any idea what I could have uninstalled?

slim150
07-19-2004, 05:59 AM
you probably uninstalled winamp, unwise is a generic uninstaller that many programs use to uninstall something. is your problem still there with the crashin?

ninjamonkey
07-19-2004, 06:13 AM
It didn't uninstall winamp because after that I used a different uninstaller which uninstalled winamp.

as to the crashing, I have no idea if it's fixed yet.

ninjamonkey
07-19-2004, 06:17 AM
Yay!!! I figured out what that other uninstaller was. It was for the Color Changer Plugin.

Now the only problem to check on/fix is the crashing.

gildan2020
07-19-2004, 10:32 AM
erm, perhaps u should try slim150 idea and goto control panel instead, will ya?

bcos if u can uninstall something (other than winamp) accidentally by doing just that, u can also create a whole lot of trouble by just uninstalling something even more critical to ur comp as well

get a new winamp, the current version is 5.03c, backup and then install (after u've uninstall urs first)

keep us notified,
gildan2020

Vargas
07-19-2004, 11:18 AM
i think your problems are due to conflicting plugins.
i would move all files from the winamp plugin folder (if any) after you uninstall and before you reinstall.

if you wish to add any back do them one at a time to see if they cause trouble.

slim150
07-19-2004, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by Vargas@19 July 2004 - 11:26
i think your problems are due to conflicting plugins.
i would move all files from the winamp plugin folder (if any) after you uninstall and before you reinstall.

if you wish to add any back do them one at a time to see if they cause trouble.
he may be right, i know i think my DFX or stream ripper plugin was causing my problem, so i got rid of it. i forgot about mentioning that.

ninjamonkey
07-19-2004, 06:23 PM
i uninstall winamp from the control panel. That was after i had tried uninstalling it from it's folder then.

What's weird is that when i turned my computer on this morning, windows wanted to send an error report, but my last crash was last night and i had already restarted from that crash. Why did windows wait to ask me to send the error report untill the next time i restarted, and not right after the crash like the other error reports it told me to send?

EDIT: that error report freaked me out. When I turned my computer on it said it had just recorvered from some major problem. But my comp was oof the hwole nigth and it hadn't crashed right before I turned it off for good that night.