PDA

View Full Version : Logitech Z-640 Speakers Help!

Mrguy123
07-19-2004, 06:41 PM
For some reason I only can get two of the speakers out of the 4 working.. They are all pluged in right into the Sub Woofer but... Can anyone give me any help?

tesco
07-19-2004, 06:47 PM
there are 2 or 3 (can't remember) headphone-type jack (3.5mm jacks).

all of these have got to be plugged into your sound card so...
you need a 5.1 channels soundcard...
OR (this is what i did)
a 3.5mm jack splitter. You plug the 3.5mm jack into your computer then plug the speakers into this adaptor thing that splits teh signal into 3 signals.

Mrguy123
07-19-2004, 07:32 PM
Well I do have that 5.1 because I have 5 channels in the back. 3 jacks are getting plugged in there a yellow, black and green... SO what should I do

tesco
07-19-2004, 07:45 PM
make sure they are all enabled first of all.

then you gotta use a music program that can support them all....
most would probably just require a little tinkering around in teh options.

as a test, if u have a dvd rom drive, is to play a dvd and see if all speakers will play something.

Mrguy123
07-19-2004, 07:53 PM
How do I make sure they are all enabled? I mean what should I test

Mrguy123
07-21-2004, 07:17 PM
ok so im going to head to Radio Shack to see if they have a 3.5mm jack splitter is that correct?

lynx
07-21-2004, 08:40 PM
Have you installed the correct sound drivers for your motherboard or sound card?

If so, you need to go into Sound and Audio Devices in control panel, there may be a speaker setup option in there, or you may have a separate setup program. Default setting is usually for 2 speakers, you need to change this to get all the speakers working.

tesco
07-21-2004, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by Mrguy123@21 July 2004 - 14:18
ok so im going to head to Radio Shack to see if they have a 3.5mm jack splitter is that correct?
ya it's right but you should first try what lynx said. getting the 5.1 sound to work would be better...

XxKrNxStyLeZxX
07-23-2004, 04:18 AM
hmm im thinking about getting this audio system....but i only have a Asus P4C800E - Deluxe and no separate sound card....i read that this mb's supposed to support a 5.1 channel is this true? because i only see 3 jacks total in the back....and if it does work, do i need a new sound card for it to sound good? is it gonna be really crappy if i use the onboard sound?? oh and to anyone who has it, how is the sound quality?? is it clear and is the bass a good quality with big thump?? thx

mojo2185
07-23-2004, 06:09 AM
Ok i had this issue too. The prob was with my mobo, Asus P4P800-E Deluxe. (which i use for sound). I opened up the sound settings (a program that came with my mobo), and had to enable all the speakers. By default it was set to only use 2 speakers and the sub. Now works in 5.1 surround. Take a look around for a similar setting with your soundcard/mobo.

mojo2185
07-23-2004, 06:12 AM
hmm im thinking about getting this audio system....but i only have a Asus P4C800E - Deluxe and no separate sound card....i read that this mb's supposed to support a 5.1 channel is this true? because i only see 3 jacks total in the back....and if it does work, do i need a new sound card for it to sound good? is it gonna be really crappy if i use the onboard sound?? oh and to anyone who has it, how is the sound quality?? is it clear and is the bass a good quality with big thump?? thx
I believe the P4C800-E Deluxe is a step or two above my mobo, so our setups should be similar. The sound is great and the 5.1 is true. I'm pretty sure it even supports up to 8 channels (thats what my mobo says atleast). The satellite speakers plug into the woofer and are mostly controlled through there, so thats why there's only 3 plugs on the mobo for speakers.

lynx
07-23-2004, 09:43 AM
There are 2 channels on each jack socket.

Main socket has front left and right channels.
Next socket has rear left and right channels.
Last socket has centre speaker and sub-woofer.

Some boards have dual use for some of the sockets, for microphone and line in. If you want to use those you have to give up some of your speakers, but you can often get an extra connector to go into one of the back panel slots if you want everything connected at once.

XxKrNxStyLeZxX
07-24-2004, 12:41 AM
well on mine...out of the three...one of them has a mic picture and its pink...i think the other 2 are suppose to be line in and line out....so i would put one of the cables into the mic thing?? and all of the speakers would work?? but i wouldnt be able to use a mic rite?? that doesnt really matter cuz i dun even own a mic

-------------------------------------------------------------

hmm just bought one...so if someone says it wont work with my motherboard...im screwed :(

lynx
07-24-2004, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by XxKrNxStyLeZxX@24 July 2004 - 01:42
well on mine...out of the three...one of them has a mic picture and its pink...i think the other 2 are suppose to be line in and line out....so i would put one of the cables into the mic thing?? and all of the speakers would work?? but i wouldnt be able to use a mic rite?? that doesnt really matter cuz i dun even own a mic

-------------------------------------------------------------

hmm just bought one...so if someone says it wont work with my motherboard...im screwed :(

AI series motherboards employed the world's first intelligent audio CODEC. The 6-channel AD1985 audio CODEC automatically detects and identifies what types of peripherals are plugged into the audio I/O jacks and notifies users of inappropriate connection, meaning there will be no more confusion of Line-in, Line-out and Mic jacks.I assume it does this by measuring the resistance of what's connected.

Line out is for front speaker connection
Line in is for rear speaker connection
Mic is for Microphone connection (4 channels) or Bass&Centre(6 channels)

You need to use the SoundMax4 Audio Wizard to configure 4 or 6 channels.

XxKrNxStyLeZxX
07-24-2004, 04:32 PM
ooh ok

XxKrNxStyLeZxX
07-28-2004, 04:51 PM
umm i got the speakers....theres a yellow, black, and green plugs....but my motherboard has green, pink, and blue...which ones which???

tesco
07-28-2004, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by XxKrNxStyLeZxX@28 July 2004 - 11:52
umm i got the speakers....theres a yellow, black, and green plugs....but my motherboard has green, pink, and blue...which ones which???
green goes in the line out.
black goes into line-in
and yellow into the mic jack... :unsure:

the last two could be teh other way around. just experiment.

XxKrNxStyLeZxX
07-28-2004, 05:25 PM
i think i got it...all the speakers work in NFS...but in winamp only 2 speakers and the sub works...i think i need a plug in so im gonna try one

i tried a plugin and it still doesnt work for winamp...what do i need to do to get the 5.1 work with winamp?

tesco
07-28-2004, 05:40 PM
might be wrong but i don't think it's possible...since MP3's are only encoded with the front speakers. :(

XxKrNxStyLeZxX
07-28-2004, 05:51 PM
jadsipfjapefijaewf

well that ruins everything.....

i got the middle speakers to work by pressing the MATRIX button...but the rear still dont work

mojo2185
07-28-2004, 08:14 PM
No, there definately is a plugin. There is a winamp plugin that I use (i'm at work so i can't check on the name right now) but i think i downloaded it from the winamp site. Do a search on this forum because i posted a question about it. It isn't great with some mp3s, but for the most part, you get a full sound from all the speakers with the plugin.
I had the same problem but now enjoy my mp3s on all speakers.

XxKrNxStyLeZxX
07-28-2004, 08:22 PM
hmmm.....i just noticed the rear speakers dont work in NFS either....GAHHHh

mojo2185
07-28-2004, 08:25 PM
XxKrNxStyLeZxX, did you say you have an asus mobo (to lazy to check other posts). If so, see if you have the RealTek (spelling correct?) Audio Manager. Settings need to be changed in there to allow all speakers to work.

Or

Check in your system tray, and see if theres a little speaker icon. Its an Asus Audio configuration tool, i think thats where I changed the settings. In that program you configure how your speakers are setup, and it also plays sounds through each one to make sure they're all working properly.

XxKrNxStyLeZxX
07-28-2004, 08:53 PM
i have Asus P4C800E-Deluxe...comes with Soundmax audio driver thing....and all the speakers work when i test....but heres the weird thing...at first when i tested it, like it lets you hear each speaker and they were all right (when it was at left rear, the left rear speaker sounded, etc.) and alll the speakers worked in NFS(the games THX certified)...but then i played Vice City, and in that game the rear speakers didnt work so i was like whatever...but after playing that the rear speakers wont work in NFS...i have to set it up again(takes 5 secs) in order to get it to work in NFS....and in the test thing the speakers are messed up (on the test it says right rear, but i hear it in left rear, etc.)....this is confusing....

mojo i found that plugin from your other post...its like kb with a pimp icon or something....and it makes all the speakers work....but is it just me or does the quality get crappier on the higher notes...sounds worse in some parts then just the 3 speakers....if it does make it sound worse, i'd rather have 3 speakers that sound good then 5 speakers with bad quality

mojo2185
07-28-2004, 09:10 PM
Not sure if thats the same plugin i use (still at work, i can check later).

The plugin basically distributed the sound so all speakers were playing. In some cases, i did get funky sounds out of SOME songs. Most songs play great though. Make sure the matrix button is off too.

As far as the speakers and games go...
Is Vice City a legit copy? Or is it a rip? Some rips cause sound issues (happened to me once). Check to see if you can select the "Audio Device" in each game you play (somewhere in the settings). I always select the device that I know is my Asus sound device.

XxKrNxStyLeZxX
07-28-2004, 09:21 PM
i got the plugin to sound pretty good...but on some songs it sounds terrible...so i gave up on it...the 3 speakrs sound good too...the vice city is a rip...i can go to sound settings - it was on 2 speakers so i changed it to more than 2 speakers...but they didnt have Soundmax...only creative, rad, and some others...i put it on auto detect and it went back to creatve...

ok i think i fixed the vice city thing...so only thing i need is 5.1 for winamp.....except it sounds crappy

lee551
07-29-2004, 02:43 AM
mojo, when you find out what plugin you use for winamp can you please post it here? it would be cool if i could have all my speakers workin while listening to music. :D

XxKrNxStyLeZxX
07-29-2004, 02:45 AM
yeah me too...cuz this one makes everything sound staticky and crappy

hmm people say im not supposed to turn on Matrix unless i dont have a decoder or something...i need the matrix on in order for the middle speaker to work...is it cuz the onboard audio is crappy?

mojo2185
07-29-2004, 03:23 AM
Ok here's the scoop.
Apparently it IS the kb 5.1 plugin.

I have it set as follows (and it sounds fine to me).
Device: RealTek AC97 Audio (my mobo's sound device. I am NOT using the Microsoft Sound Mapper which is the other option to choose).

My decoder setting: Matrix Decoder.

On the speakers themselves: Volume is normal, fader is a little past halfway, center is halfway, matrix is OFF.

The plugin should allow the center speaker to work, therefore eliminating the need to turn the matrix button (on the center speaker) on.

XxKrNxStyLeZxX
07-29-2004, 03:38 AM
hmmm....it sounds fine now...i dunno...but the center speaker still wont work without the matrix on

lee551
07-29-2004, 04:12 AM
i forgot that i need a 5.1 card for this to work ,so i was like wtf??

i guess i was just dreaming :rolleyes:

XxKrNxStyLeZxX
07-29-2004, 01:29 PM
so anyone know why my center speakers aren't working without the matrix button on??

XxKrNxStyLeZxX
07-30-2004, 12:40 AM
well then....

you guys should try this plug-in

http://winamp.com/plugins/details.php?id=122003

i think it sounds alot better than the other one