PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive Cooling

mattesca
07-21-2004, 03:30 PM
Is cooling the hard drive really a must when OC a pc?

And what temp. should it be at?

Duffman
07-21-2004, 03:32 PM
As far as I know no, it can be a source of heat in a case, and people with real cooling dedication may cool it as any source of heat drives them nuts, but to the average ocer i'd say no.

mattesca
07-21-2004, 03:35 PM
ok but what is a reasonable temp for the hard drive???

Duffman
07-21-2004, 03:42 PM
any moment clocker, or bigdawg or rosco will come the rescue.

Storm
07-21-2004, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by mattesca@21 July 2004 - 16:36
ok but what is a reasonable temp for the hard drive???
check this (http://filesharingtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=117120&hl=temp)

its a guide by clocker on temps......... well, not really a guide, but.......... well just read it ;)

Duffman
07-21-2004, 03:49 PM
well someone came in clockers place, i was close

mattesca
07-21-2004, 03:52 PM
thanks storm that really helps

Duffman
07-21-2004, 03:57 PM
oh, do you have any temperature monitering programs like sisandra, or mbm5, or... can't remeber the other ones.

Storm
07-21-2004, 03:58 PM
no problem

like Duffman said, there isnt really a reason to get HDD cooling......

you're not planning any extreem OCin, so id just make sure you get a good HSF and a couple of fans for your case.......

now this will kinda depend on your case, but i have one of my intakes blowing cool air over my HDD first, in case you really want to cool that sucker.....

if you have an advanced video card, id worry about that more than your HDD

lynx
07-21-2004, 03:59 PM
There are max temps for hard drives, see manufacturers specs for details, but about 60C is commonly the max quoted.

In practice you are unlikely to hit the highest temps for long periods unless your case cooling is seriously flawed.

But drive lifetime can be considered as a product of power on time multiplied by running temp, so if you leave your pc on 24/7 it is a good idea to get some sort of cooling, otherwise you can seriously shorten the drives lifespan.

Other than OCing possibly causing a rise in case temps, it has nothing at all to do with cooling the drive.

Duffman
07-21-2004, 04:01 PM
The thing with the hd's is its not like a cpu, cooling it only cools it, where as cooling the cpu allows for overclocking. Now some people to cool the hd but only under extreme overclocking where the temp of the hd can affect the lowering of the cpu... I think that explains it better.

mattesca
07-21-2004, 04:07 PM
yeah in my case i have a intake blowing on it so like u said it would be fine

zapjb
07-21-2004, 04:58 PM
Any HDD I had that had temps consistently of high 40'sC or got into the 50'sC always failed. So I use DTemp a little freeware exe that gives me HDD temps & SMART attributes & more. So 42C & lower temps are what I consider OK HDD temps.

tesco
07-21-2004, 06:28 PM
My drive gets very hot with no fans or anything...

but just put one fan near the hard drive as an intake (mine is currently at the bottom of the case cause i haven't got around to removing the front fan grill yet...but it cools the vid card a little as well so im not sure if moving it would be good :unsure: ) and it keeps the drive running about the same heat as if i was to touch my cd drives or power supply or something (not hot at all).

so just install an intake fan and that's sufficient.

I see that antispam still isn't gone. :angry:

abu_has_the_power
07-21-2004, 06:47 PM
hey, u guys remember my "magical" hdd? its doin 30C rite now. in winter, it goes down to 20-26C.