PDA

View Full Version : Blue Screen Of Death!

rpriest
07-24-2004, 11:06 AM
I have searched the boards for any mention of this but have come up with nothing. I have been using Kazaa Lite successfully for a number of months now but regularly encounter the blue screen of death whilst running this program.

The main message on the blue screen is IRQL_Not_Less_Or_Equal. The PC only crashes when running KLite and I then lose a number of active downloads , every other program is fine. I believe this may be a driver problem but I am at a loss as to how to solve it.

Any help would be gratefully received.

oldjagman
07-26-2004, 01:14 AM
Get XP!

rpriest
07-26-2004, 08:22 AM
I am using XP. Do I need to change certain settings?

rpriest
07-26-2004, 08:35 AM
I originally posted this topic in the problem forum but with limited success. I shall now risk the wrath of others by posting it here as well!

Original message:-

'I have searched the boards for any mention of this but have come up with nothing. I have been using Kazaa Lite successfully for a number of months now but regularly encounter the blue screen of death whilst running this program.

The main message on the blue screen is IRQL_Not_Less_Or_Equal. The PC is running Windows XP and only crashes when running KLite, I then lose a number of active downloads. Every other program on the PC is fine when I am not running KLite and it does not crash :frusty: . I believe this may be a driver problem but I am at a loss as to how to solve it.

Any help would be gratefully received. '

*topics merged*

tracydani
07-26-2004, 09:39 AM
Quite a while back when I was still using kazaa I had a similar problem. It turned out that whenever I had kazaa and a particular version of Norton going I would get the bsd.

I got rid of Norton and had no problems with kazaa while I was still using it.

Just try turning off various programs until you figure it out, or wait until someone can tell you what that specific error is?

Error description (http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prmd_stp_hwpg.asp)

TD

oldjagman
07-26-2004, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by rpriest@26 July 2004 - 09:23
I am using XP. Do I need to change certain settings?
Sorry, I was under the misapprehension that XP did not have the BSOD. I haven't seen it since I upgraded from 98 SE.

I do get error messages saying windows has encountered a problem and is closing the programme - I then get an option to report this to Microsoft!

tracydani
07-26-2004, 09:45 PM
I was also using xp. It seemed to be just between Norton and kazaa for me.

TD

Ariel_001
07-27-2004, 12:49 AM
Maybe upgrade your driver (network card).

Do you have a PPPOE connection. Are you using your ISP software to connect to the net?

rpriest
07-27-2004, 10:20 AM
Thanks for the suggestions and comments (especially TD), I disabled Norton and had no immediate problems but I was only running KLite for a short while. I shall leave KLite running longer next time to see if Norton is the cause.