PDA

View Full Version : Need Installation Help

Izagaia
07-25-2004, 01:34 AM
I have just purchased and setup a new AMD-based Compaq Presario.

Presario SR1000 series
Athlon [email protected]
512mb ram
XP Home

The system, by default, uses an integrated device for ethernet, audio and video. I want to install a GeForce 5200 128mb AGP graphics card, however each time I plug it into the empty AGP slot and connect the monitor, the system shows no picture at all on the monitor. The instructions explain something about setting my bios yet from what I can find when I try to do so (assuming that what I am getting into is indeed my bios settngs), none of the available options look as if it is what I need to alter. I have heard something about disabling connecters on my motherboard as well. However I did not want to proceed with anything until someone could tell me something concrete about what I may or may not need to do to get this graphics card working.

Any help from the pros would greatly be appreciated. :D

tesco
07-25-2004, 02:16 AM
look in your motherboard manual it will say whether it is a bios setting or jumper setting on your motherboar,d and how to set them.

iMartin
07-25-2004, 02:21 AM
Well, I made probably the most laughable mistake, but when I installed my video card, no screen would come up, but I forgot to connect my monitor directly to my video card. :lol:

Izagaia
07-27-2004, 06:50 PM
It seems that the actual installation process was quite abit simpler than I thought. And this time, I managed to get a screen image. :)

After alittle "trial and error" and a wee bit (actually a flippin lot) o' luck, I took a chance and first "uninstalled" not "disable", from the device manager, the integrated video device I used previously and then installed the video adapter into my AGP slot. XP started right away without difficulty or error messages and proceeded to finish the installation on it's own after detecting the new hardware.

No need to configure anything within my bios settings. No jumpers from the integrated card to remove... no fuss, no muss. :D

Izzy happy. Fade-out... happy ending. :P

tesco
07-27-2004, 06:57 PM
don't use the driver xp installed it is shit go to www.nvidia.com and download teh latest driver (61.76).

cpt_azad
07-27-2004, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@27 July 2004 - 10:58
don't use the driver xp installed it is shit go to www.nvidia.com and download teh latest driver (61.76).
very good point, a lot of ppl have crazy computers wit awesome cards (ATI's and nvidias) but when i ask em wat version drivers they have they just raise their eyebrows in a drastic attempt to understand the situation. UPDATE YOUR DRIVERS!!! :)

Izagaia
07-28-2004, 12:49 AM
Yeah- updating my drivers was the first thing I did after my little "victory dance" in just getting the blasted thing successfully installed. :D

The card is not even what you would deem "medium-range" in terms of power. Just a GeForce FX5200 128mb. All I could afford and for my own needs, it does the job rather well. The heaviest PC gaming I ever become involved with is running a MAME32k emulator and one of the myriad of CPS-2 roms I managed to procure. B)