PDA

View Full Version : Possible Bt Torrent Tracker

rookiecrd1
07-25-2004, 05:00 PM
I have basically given up the idea of having a private FTP server, however I think that a bittorent torrent tracker or something would be a possibly good idea.

I need to hear peoples opinions on both the positives and negative of this, and exactly how it would work.

Would there be any legal issues considering we are only posting links to where this stuff can be downloaded? Wouldn't this fall under "freedom of speech"?

Also, how would this be set up? Would it just be a folder in the Bittorent section where people make posts?

Brian

DanB
07-25-2004, 05:24 PM
I think its a good idea.

Would you be able to do a wall of shame though ? :unsure:

Spicker
07-25-2004, 05:38 PM
as i told u brian u dont need to worry about the tracker....

just use the trackers from http://trackers.thebeehive.me.uk/

and as for the forum wt u can do is in the bittorrent section add a section for torrents and we could either attach the . torrent file or post a link of it ;)

thats all thers to it :smilie4:

btw scroll down to see the trackers ;)

tracydani
07-25-2004, 05:49 PM
Maybe you could get the forum listed in the refered section at the very bottom of that page(above link). People could see us there and get here too.

TD

rookiecrd1
07-25-2004, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by tracydani@25 July 2004 - 17:50
Maybe you could get the forum listed in the refered section at the very bottom of that page(above link). People could see us there and get here too.

TD
At what site?

tracydani
07-25-2004, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by jaigandhi5@25 July 2004 - 19:39
ust use the trackers from http://trackers.thebeehive.me.uk/
That one. All the way to the bottom. It may not be much, but if I were new and looking for support I may find us that way.

TD

TheRealDave
07-25-2004, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by jaigandhi5@25 July 2004 - 17:39

and as for the forum wt u can do is in the bittorrent section add a section for torrents and we could either attach the . torrent file or post a link of it ;)

btw scroll down to see the trackers ;)
would it not be better for FST to have its own private tracker? :unsure:

rookiecrd1
07-25-2004, 06:00 PM
How would I make a tracker though?

Does everyone think that a torrent folder at the bittorrent section would be a good idea? Alos, I think posting the link would be better then uploading the torrent, correct?

Spicker
07-25-2004, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by TheRealDave+25 July 2004 - 18:56--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TheRealDave @ 25 July 2004 - 18:56)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-jaigandhi5@25 July 2004 - 17:39

and as for the forum wt u can do is in the bittorrent section add a section for torrents and we could either attach the . torrent file or post a link of it&nbsp; ;)

btw scroll down to see the trackers&nbsp; ;)
would it not be better for FST to have its own private tracker? :unsure: [/b][/quote]
well u wana volunteer?

u gotta have ur computer on 24/7 and u gotta hav Linux because windows cant handle more than 2000connections.... u gotta donate ur internet bandwith and cpu usage....

@brian:

http://bnbt.go-dedicated.com/ tracker there are PHP based trackers as well but i heard they arent tht good.... thers alos another tracker program but i forgot the name :(

Spicker
07-25-2004, 06:09 PM
another thing...

if u make a folder in the bittorrent section how can u seperate the Games,movies,appz etc.

are they all going to be scrammbled? :01:

Cheese
07-25-2004, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by rookiecrd1@25 July 2004 - 18:01
How would I make a tracker though?

Does everyone think that a torrent folder at the bittorrent section would be a good idea? Alos, I think posting the link would be better then uploading the torrent, correct?
POTUK got shut down a while back for having M&#036; torrents on their forum even though their tracker was seperate.

Things like M&#036; products, films still on at the cinema etc will bring extra attention. Not saying I disagree with posting torrents/getting a tracker but I really think you should go and look at all the other sites out there first before making any decisions.

Look at how they do things, what they allow, how they deal with leechers, who they allow to upload, what "reward" systems they use. There is a lot to consider here...

Plus who is going to set up the tracker? :unsure:

Spicker
07-25-2004, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by Withcheese@25 July 2004 - 19:11
http://trackers.thebeehive.me.uk/ scroll down ;)

CPU1
07-25-2004, 06:12 PM
for setting up a tracker it would depend what kind you would want. would you want a python tracker that would have to run from someones pc or would you want a php tracker. those are my favorite cause all you need is a server that has php and sql. they offer other features that python ones dont

Spicker
07-25-2004, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by CPU1@25 July 2004 - 19:13
for setting up a tracker it would depend what kind you would want. would you want a python tracker that would have to run from someones pc or would you want a php tracker. those are my favorite cause all you need is a server that has php and sql. they offer other features that python ones dont
but the PC tht the tracker is installed on has to stay on 24/7

am i right? or do u just need to make a php-tracker use webhosting? :blink:

CPU1
07-25-2004, 06:20 PM
yup ur right about both things

Spicker
07-25-2004, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by CPU1@25 July 2004 - 19:21
yup ur right about both things
having a non-php one is better because u dont need webhosting.

u can run it off ur pc itself....

but who is going to donate the bandwith,cpu usage, power, time to set it up+ it has to be on 24/7 and not all people have 2 comptuers (i dont) if i had 2 computers i wouldnt mind making a tracker at all

thts why im telling you guyz to use the tracker from the list. (use the tracker which loads the fastest when you click on it).

Cheese
07-25-2004, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by jaigandhi5+25 July 2004 - 18:13--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (jaigandhi5 &#064; 25 July 2004 - 18:13)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Withcheese@25 July 2004 - 19:11
http://trackers.thebeehive.me.uk/ scroll down ;) [/b][/quote]
I saw that the first time you made the post.

Of course, I was referring the question to Rookie&#39;s own question of "How would I make a tracker"...that&#39;s probably why I quoted him.

Spicker
07-25-2004, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by Withcheese+25 July 2004 - 19:30--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Withcheese @ 25 July 2004 - 19:30)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by jaigandhi5@25 July 2004 - 18:13
<!--QuoteBegin-Withcheese@25 July 2004 - 19:11

Of course, I was referring the question to Rookie&#39;s own question of "How would I make a tracker"...that&#39;s probably why I quote him. [/b][/quote]
lol sorry

the tracker shouldnt be a big problem its the piracy stuff tht cud be a problem...should focus on that more than the tracker ;)

Cheese
07-25-2004, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by jaigandhi5+25 July 2004 - 18:32--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (jaigandhi5 @ 25 July 2004 - 18:32)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Withcheese@25 July 2004 - 19:30

Originally posted by jaigandhi5@25 July 2004 - 18:13
<!--QuoteBegin-Withcheese@25 July 2004 - 19:11

Of course, I was referring the question to Rookie&#39;s own question of "How would I make a tracker"...that&#39;s probably why I quote him.
lol sorry

the tracker shouldnt be a big problem its the piracy stuff tht cud be a problem...should focus on that more than the tracker ;) [/b][/quote]
np :D

That&#39;s my point though will we be allowing all types of file or will we be trying to limit the dangers, as it were?

I say don&#39;t bother with setting up a tracker of our own and just use any from lists like your one. Then we upload torrents to here.

Spicker
07-25-2004, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by Withcheese@25 July 2004 - 19:36
I say don&#39;t bother with setting up a tracker of our own and just use any from lists like your one. Then we upload torrents to here.
thts exactly what im saying.... :)

Spicker
07-25-2004, 06:39 PM
also another thing i came up with....

the torrent has to be seeded for atleast 3dayz and umm we need a moderator for that forum for sure :rolleyes:

tracydani
07-25-2004, 06:41 PM
But do they get put into a system of some sort? Or just placed willynilly in threads?

That&#39;s not such a good idea for a large forum like this.

TD

Spicker
07-25-2004, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by tracydani@25 July 2004 - 19:42
But do they get put into a system of some sort? Or just placed willynilly in threads?

TD
wt do u mean a system of some sort...

they get uploaded on to the tracker.

i will also be contacting the beeman (the guy who owns the tracker list site) hes a good friend of mine... ill tell him about the idea and he&#39;ll sign up at this forum for sure. hes a really nice guy ;) u can always find him on the suprnova irc chat server :rolleyes:

rookiecrd1
07-25-2004, 06:46 PM
Ok I think the best idea for now would be just a forum section where people can list torrent links. Perhaps we could set up an entire category for bittorrent. Then we can have folders for Games, music, movies, tx, etc.

What are you opinions?

Brian

TheRealDave
07-25-2004, 06:48 PM
yeah it would be alot easier for people just to be able to post torrents :)

Spicker
07-25-2004, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by rookiecrd1@25 July 2004 - 19:47
Perhaps we could set up an entire category for bittorrent. Then we can have folders for Games, music, movies, tx, etc.

tht would be perfect ;)

because this forum is big and will get bigger after adding sections and the torrents wont be all scrambled ;)

Cheese
07-25-2004, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by tracydani@25 July 2004 - 18:42
But do they get put into a system of some sort?&nbsp; Or just placed willynilly in threads?

TD
Have a Torrentworld with sub-sections for Movies, Music, Software, etc.

Allow members only to post relevant torrents in each section. Using the thread title to name the torrent.

Use the main section of Torrentworld for requests/help and having a go at leechers. :lol:

CPU1
07-25-2004, 06:52 PM
well to be honest, the idea is startign to copy the one already in the bt section we have. while it is good in sence there are many things to consider like the trackers. while many recommend using others. i have to say having our own is the best oen since you get to control what gets there and alot of othe stuff. then the idea of what to seed comes in action. and also the idea of leechers and a whole bunch of other stuff.

but if you want a tracker just get the php one by dehack or whatever his name is. its pretty much simple. all you need is just a host and an sql database and little configuration

Spicker
07-25-2004, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by Withcheese@25 July 2004 - 19:50

Allow members only to post relevant torrents in each section. Using the thread title to name the torrent.

Use the main section of Torrentworld for requests/help and having a go at leechers. :lol:
yep just perfect ;)

and if this does get made i sure will be uploading alot because i hav nice upload speed of 800kbps which is 80kilobytes per sec.

:)

DanB
07-25-2004, 06:55 PM
Good to see this gathering speed :D

Cheese
07-25-2004, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by jaigandhi5+25 July 2004 - 18:54--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (jaigandhi5 @ 25 July 2004 - 18:54)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Withcheese@25 July 2004 - 19:50

Allow members only to post relevant torrents in each section.&nbsp; Using the thread title to name the torrent.

yep just perfect ;)

and if this does get made i sure will be uploading alot because i hav nice upload speed of 800kbps which is 80kilobytes per sec.

:) [/b][/quote]
Damn...I have a crappy 32kbs but I&#39;d still be prepared to share some stuff. I used to upload torrents on POTUK, would be cool to do it here. :01:

tracydani
07-25-2004, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by jaigandhi5@25 July 2004 - 20:45
I mean will they be listed like at supr? Or will they be mixed into threads like withcheese explains.

I am not sure putting them into threads is a good idea for a large forum. It could be total chaos :blink: We already have a problem with people asking the same questions over and over without searching :lol:

TD

BawA
07-25-2004, 06:56 PM
But be sure to have rule not to post other site torrents other ways there will be lots of problem, and even if they do.. some sites has filter on thier tracker so no other can download from extrnal links.

rookiecrd1
07-25-2004, 06:57 PM
I think to start off we should just do the forum listings. A tracker may be something to consider down the road. What are peoples opinions on this:

Should be have an entirely new category like the categorieis "announcements and information", "filesharing", "codecs", etc? We could call it torrent, or bittorent and have folders for each category such as games, software, tv, movies, music, etc.

Or

We could just make a torrent world and have subfolders for each category.

Brian

Spicker
07-25-2004, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by CPU1@25 July 2004 - 19:53
but if you want a tracker just get the php one by dehack or whatever his name is. its pretty much simple. all you need is just a host and an sql database and little configuration
yes but u still need a computer which is needs to be on 24/7

rookiecrd1
07-25-2004, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by bawa@Klite_user@25 July 2004 - 18:57
But be sure to have rule not to post other site torrents other ways there will be lots of problem, and even if they do.. some sites has filter on thier tracker so no other can download from extrnal links.
So what torrents would people post? I&#39;m a little confused about that.

DanB
07-25-2004, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by bawa@Klite_user@25 July 2004 - 19:57
I think the idea is that people from here wil do thier own, not just steal pther peoples but I could be wrong. Could you tell me what has been said cos I couldn&#39;t be bothered to read it :unsure:

Spicker
07-25-2004, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by rookiecrd1@25 July 2004 - 19:58
Should be have an entirely new category like the categorieis "announcements and information", "filesharing", "codecs", etc? We could call it torrent, or bittorent and have folders for each category such as games, software, tv, movies, music, etc.
yep

Cheese
07-25-2004, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by tracydani+25 July 2004 - 18:57--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (tracydani @ 25 July 2004 - 18:57)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-jaigandhi5@25 July 2004 - 20:45
I mean will they be listed like at supr? Or will they be mixed into threads like withcheese explains.

I am not sure putting them into threads is a good idea for a large forum. It could be total chaos :blink: We already have a problem with people asking the same questions over and over without searching :lol:

TD [/b][/quote]
Other forums manage it okay like that.

Just needs good modding is all. Any threads that aren&#39;t torrents get thrown into the main section.

So when you are in a torrent sub-section every thread is is a torrent.

Spicker
07-25-2004, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by danb+25 July 2004 - 19:59--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (danb @ 25 July 2004 - 19:59)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-bawa@Klite_user@25 July 2004 - 19:57
I think the idea is that people from here wil do thier own, not just steal pther peoples but I could be wrong. Could you tell me what has been said cos I couldn&#39;t be bothered to read it :unsure: [/b][/quote]
yea thats wt he means..

he means that you have the file that you posted the link off and ur not just posting the link from suprnova.org or some other site

:)

Cheese
07-25-2004, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by rookiecrd1+25 July 2004 - 18:59--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (rookiecrd1 @ 25 July 2004 - 18:59)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-bawa@Klite_user@25 July 2004 - 18:57
So what torrents would people post? I&#39;m a little confused about that. [/b][/quote]
I think bawa is referring to people just stealing other sites torrents and passing it off as their own.

BawA
07-25-2004, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by rookiecrd1+25 July 2004 - 22:59--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (rookiecrd1 @ 25 July 2004 - 22:59)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-bawa@Klite_user@25 July 2004 - 18:57
So what torrents would people post? I&#39;m a little confused about that. [/b][/quote]
when we have our own tracker then we can post our own BT links, just like "FastTracker" have look on thier forum and get some idea of how it works,

CPU1
07-25-2004, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by jaigandhi5+25 July 2004 - 12:58--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (jaigandhi5 @ 25 July 2004 - 12:58)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-CPU1@25 July 2004 - 19:53
yes but u still need a computer which is needs to be on 24/7 [/b][/quote]
yes i suppose thats what u call a host :lol:

i mean this whole site can include have the tracker but im not too sure if thats goign to make it use alot of cpu usage

tracydani
07-25-2004, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by Withcheese@25 July 2004 - 21:00

Just needs good modding is all. Any threads that aren&#39;t torrents get thrown into the main section.

I haven&#39;t been to too many other torrent sites(not in forum format anyway). As long as we could keep up, it sounds fine :) .

TD

Spicker
07-25-2004, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by CPU1+25 July 2004 - 20:04--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (CPU1 @ 25 July 2004 - 20:04)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by jaigandhi5@25 July 2004 - 12:58
<!--QuoteBegin-CPU1@25 July 2004 - 19:53

i mean this whole site can include have the tracker but im not too sure if thats goign to make it use alot of cpu usage [/b][/quote]
as soon as more than 700-1000 users start connecting and downloading...

the cpu usage starts going up... same with bandwith...

i know this because i used to have a tracker with 3000 users and windows just used to FLUNK and the maximum usage i saw was at 30% of my 1.90Ghz P4

Cheese
07-25-2004, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by tracydani+25 July 2004 - 19:05--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (tracydani @ 25 July 2004 - 19:05)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Withcheese@25 July 2004 - 21:00

Just needs good modding is all.&nbsp; Any threads that aren&#39;t torrents get thrown into the main section.

I haven&#39;t been to too many other torrent sites(not in forum format anyway). As long as we could keep up, it sounds fine :) .

TD [/b][/quote]
This also gives you a place to thank the person(s) who uploaded the torrent. A nice touch I think.

BawA
07-25-2004, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by jaigandhi5+25 July 2004 - 23:06--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (jaigandhi5 @ 25 July 2004 - 23:06)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by CPU1@25 July 2004 - 20:04

Originally posted by jaigandhi5@25 July 2004 - 12:58
<!--QuoteBegin-CPU1@25 July 2004 - 19:53

i mean this whole site can include have the tracker but im not too sure if thats goign to make it use alot of cpu usage
as soon as more than 700-1000 users start connecting and downloading...

the cpu usage starts going up... same with bandwith...

i know this because i used to have a tracker with 3000 users and windows just used to FLUNK and the maximum usage i saw was at 30% of my 1.90Ghz P4 [/b][/quote]
FST has its own server no need to worry about CPu usage and we dont need too much bandwidth, uploading will be done with users or seeders bandwidth

Spicker
07-25-2004, 07:11 PM
well when i had the tracker with like 2000-3000ppl connected the upload was going at 15-20kbps all the time....

now imagine uploading 15-20kbps 24/7 we would be out of bandwith soon... and hav to pay more for the server <_<

CPU1
07-25-2004, 07:14 PM
well perhaps. if you think this idea will get to those major downloads at a time then of course you would but if its a small group it wont use much as this forum does.

Spicker
07-25-2004, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by CPU1@25 July 2004 - 20:15
well perhaps. if you think this idea will get to those major downloads at a time then of course you would but if its a small group it wont use much as this forum does.
yes but i think we should hold on to the idea of having our own tracker maybe later we could have our own when we have lots of torrents and having problems with the trackers on the list.

;)

BawA
07-25-2004, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by jaigandhi5@25 July 2004 - 23:12
well when i had the tracker with like 2000-3000ppl connected the upload was going at 15-20kbps all the time....

now imagine uploading 15-20kbps 24/7&nbsp; we would be out of bandwith soon... and hav to pay more for the server <_<
we DONT need to upload file to server so people leech it, a main seeder can make a torrent of his file and post it on the forums and other can leech it, like this only user(seeder) bandwitdh will be in use.
suprnova needs bandwitdh cuz the users upload the file to thier server and they seed to other we dont need that way.
this idea will work if ONLY broadBand users have accsess to that section other ways we must forget about BT on this forum cuz the suprnova way will cost alot and posting other sites torrent will cuase trouble, so we only have the "user seed and leech" idea.

Sparkle1984
07-26-2004, 08:57 AM
The only thing I am concerned about is that it is a private tracker. I can imagine the members who are refused access to it (for whatever reason) are going to get angry, and it could end up tearing the community in half. How would members be selected? It could be more trouble than it&#39;s worth, especially if it&#39;s going to be an elite clique like fasttracker

Cheese
07-26-2004, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by Sparkle1984@26 July 2004 - 08:58
It could be more trouble than it&#39;s worth, especially if it&#39;s going to be an elite clique like fasttracker
Who/what are fasttracker? :unsure:

TheRealDave
07-26-2004, 09:02 AM
nm B)

Mivaro
07-26-2004, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by Withcheese@26 July 2004 - 09:00
Fasttracker (http://filesharingtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=41113) :rolleyes:

DanB
07-26-2004, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by Sparkle1984@26 July 2004 - 09:58
The only thing I am concerned about is that it is a private tracker. I can imagine the members who are refused access to it (for whatever reason) are going to get angry, and it could end up tearing the community in half. How would members be selected? It could be more trouble than it&#39;s worth, especially if it&#39;s going to be an elite clique like fasttracker
I don&#39;t think people will be refused access :unsure:

Cheese
07-26-2004, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by Mivaro+26 July 2004 - 09:04--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mivaro @ 26 July 2004 - 09:04)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Withcheese@26 July 2004 - 09:00
Fasttracker (http://filesharingtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=41113) :rolleyes: [/b][/quote]
So those people with the Fasttracker av&#39;s and sigs are members of this elite tracker?

I thought they were just people who really liked the Fasttrack network, you know like we&#39;re fasttracking fasttrackers on the fasttrack network.

Learn something new every day...

tracydani
07-26-2004, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by Withcheese+25 July 2004 - 21:09--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Withcheese @ 25 July 2004 - 21:09)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by tracydani@25 July 2004 - 19:05
<!--QuoteBegin-Withcheese@25 July 2004 - 21:00

TD
This also gives you a place to thank the person(s) who uploaded the torrent. A nice touch I think. [/b][/quote]
I like the format, just wasn&#39;t sure how it would work with a large group.

TD

tracydani
07-26-2004, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by Sparkle1984@26 July 2004 - 10:58
The only thing I am concerned about is that it is a private tracker. I can imagine the members who are refused access to it (for whatever reason) are going to get angry, and it could end up tearing the community in half. How would members be selected?
I didn&#39;t realize it was going to be private.

&nbsp; It could be more trouble than it&#39;s worth, especially if it&#39;s going to be an elite clique like fasttracker

Wow, I&#39;m elite :teehee:

I&#39;ll never here that again :lol:

TD

DanB
07-26-2004, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by tracydani+26 July 2004 - 10:15--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (tracydani @ 26 July 2004 - 10:15)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Sparkle1984@26 July 2004 - 10:58
The only thing I am concerned about is that it is a private tracker.&nbsp; I can imagine the members who are refused access to it (for whatever reason) are going to get angry, and it could end up tearing the community in half.&nbsp; How would members be selected?
I didn&#39;t realize it was going to be private.

&nbsp; It could be more trouble than it&#39;s worth, especially if it&#39;s going to be an elite clique like fasttracker

Wow, I&#39;m elite :teehee:

I&#39;ll never here that again :lol:

TD [/b][/quote]
That must mean I am double elite what with the 5 star overlord here :01: :lol: :lol:

BawA
07-26-2004, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Sparkle1984@26 July 2004 - 12:58
the only people wont be allowded r non-FST and 56k users and i dont think 56k users would waste thier time with worthless try to download large files. :lol:

manker
07-26-2004, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by bawa@Klite_user@26 July 2004 - 11:27
the only people wont be allowded r non-FST and 56k users and i dont think 56k users would waste thier time with worthless try to download large files. :lol:
Thats ridiculous. It&#39;s true not many dial uppers would bother with movies but what about software and mp3s?

I have no problem if 56k&#39;ers use it. I was on dial up until a year ago simply because broadband wasn&#39;t available in my area - and I live in the UK. I imagine there are many people elsewhere in the world who are on dial up through lack of alternative.

BawA
07-26-2004, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by manker+26 July 2004 - 14:41--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (manker @ 26 July 2004 - 14:41)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-bawa@Klite_user@26 July 2004 - 11:27
the only people wont be allowded r non-FST and 56k users and i dont think 56k users would&nbsp; waste thier time with worthless try to download large files.&nbsp; :lol:
Thats ridiculous. It&#39;s true not many dial uppers would bother with movies but what about software and mp3s?

I have no problem if 56k&#39;ers use it. I was on dial up until a year ago simply because broadband wasn&#39;t available in my area - and I live in the UK. I imagine there are many people elsewhere in the world who are on dial up through lack of alternative. [/b][/quote]
it will be no good if 56 k users join cuz all bandwidth will go waste as more 56kers join the leeching, or mybe they can be only allowed to music and software section.

jetje
07-26-2004, 11:34 AM
You could easily solve that problem by tracking share ratios.
say like if you dl over 2 gig you need to have a ratio above 0.5 or get banned from the tracker (not this site&#33;). Something like that. ;)
So everyone (56k to 10MB) can join, but no-one can leech.

tracydani
07-26-2004, 11:37 AM
I&#39;m not sure how you could prevent 56k&#39;ers from joining in. If this is just an addition to the forum, then they will have access if they are members.

It would really be there loss if they joined in on large torrents, because chances are the file will be finished before they are. They will have wasted time getting a big chunk of a file that is no longer being seeded.

TD

tracydani
07-26-2004, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by jetje@26 July 2004 - 13:35
You could easily solve that problem by tracking share ratios.
say like if you dl over 2 gig you need to have a ratio above 0.5 or get banned from the tracker (not this site&#33;). Something like that. ;)
So everyone (56k to 10MB) can join, but no-one can leech.
Wouldn&#39;t that mean having our own tracker?

TD

BawA
07-26-2004, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by tracydani@26 July 2004 - 15:38
I&#39;m not sure how you could prevent 56k&#39;ers from joining in. If this is just an addition to the forum, then they will have access if they are members.

It would really be there loss if they joined in on large torrents, because chances are the file will be finished before they are. They will have wasted time getting a big chunk of a file that is no longer being seeded.

TD
IF we have a password protected section and filtered tracker so no other extrnal user can join. there r lots of ways to prevant unwanted users to join the tracker.

tracydani
07-26-2004, 11:48 AM
I had thought we were discussing using someone elses tracker? That would seem to make enforcement of anything difficult.

TD

jetje
07-26-2004, 12:04 PM
If this is the way to go, i would go for our own tracker&#33; Just for this community.
IMO the only way to control and keep track of things. ;)

just my 2 cts...

BawA
07-26-2004, 01:37 PM
we must have our own tracker other ways any one can steal our bandwitdh by connection to it from any where, we must use own tracker so we can ban ip&#39;s that r not listed.

beeman
07-26-2004, 02:37 PM
running a tracker is pretty simple. if this forum is being run of a dedicated server its even better as you can use a c++ tracker.

jaigandhi5 contacted me and asked me a have a look in here. i run my own tracker with 20&#39;000 peers currently connected to it with vertually ZERO server load.

as for bandwith. trackers have come A LONG way scince you ran yours jaigandhi5 (btw the first ever tracker listed on thebeehive :) ). there is a NEW protocal out for bittorrent that saves trackers 1200% bandwith (compact announce protocal).

my recommendation if you want to run a tracker FOR THIS forum is to get XBT and use there ipb hack. this will intergrate the tracker with the forums. meaning you would need to be a registered member of the forums to use the tracker (selectable i beleave). and to upload a torrent to the tracker you would just have to post it as an atachment in the apprapreate thread in your forums :D

TheRealDave
07-26-2004, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by beeman@26 July 2004 - 14:38
running a tracker is pretty simple. if this forum is being run of a dedicated server its even better as you can use a c++ tracker.

jaigandhi5 contacted me and asked me a have a look in here. i run my own tracker with 20&#39;000 peers currently connected to it with vertually ZERO server load.

as for bandwith. trackers have come A LONG way scince you ran yours jaigandhi5 (btw the first ever tracker listed on thebeehive :) ). there is a NEW protocal out for bittorrent that saves trackers 1200% bandwith (compact announce protocal).

my recommendation if you want to run a tracker FOR THIS forum is to get XBT and use there ipb hack. this will intergrate the tracker with the forums. meaning you would need to be a registered member of the forums to use the tracker (selectable i beleave). and to upload a torrent to the tracker you would just have to post it as an atachment in the apprapreate thread in your forums :D
sounds a great idea :01:

BawA
07-26-2004, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by beeman@26 July 2004 - 18:38

Thats what i was shoutting all day :lol:

Spicker
07-26-2004, 03:28 PM
k now we need help setting it up ;)

wheres brian? :lol:

beeman
07-26-2004, 03:36 PM
well if you ever need help setting it up the creator of XBT (XFT) is always VERY approachable. you will find him hanging out a lot in filesoup&#39;s tracker softwere descussions sections. or at the trackers official website http://xbtt.sourceforge.net/

SeK612
07-26-2004, 04:09 PM
I&#39;m not bothered about a BT tracker (I don&#39;t use BT that much).

Torrents have not been allowed on this board up till now as previous admins have considered them to too close to DDL&#39;s. I remeber admins saying Invision had complained about the use of such links (you can use our board for such purposes etc)

Paul

Sorry, but we can&#39;t allow torrents on the board.

7th Element

Torrent files are different because you can compare them with the first part of a rar archive. Allowing this is like posting htt*://somelink.to/somewarez.rar cause they are the first step to download a file.

You should look around for confirmation on this and be sure you can handle yourself legally before you embark on anything too quickly :)

Spicker
07-26-2004, 04:13 PM
Broken:

Q5. Is BT legal?
The technology itself is legal. Torrent files, the files posted on BT websites like File Soup, are also legal as they are only text files. The files distributed with BT may not always be because there is no inherit copyright-protection technology or usage tracking technology built into BT. Since all of this legality stuff also depends on your country and its laws, the onus is upon the BT user to check and verify what exactly you’re distributing, and to be aware of the laws in your area. The actual users of BT can be held accountable for violations if laws apply in your area.

http://boards.slackercentral.com/showthrea...?t=35745&page=3

[LEGAL-1] Q: Are bit torrents legal?
Bit Torrents themselves are entirely legal. However, the use of the Bit Torrent Network to distribute copyrighted material without the express consent of the owner is illegal. Therefore, ripping a DVD and distributing it as a bit torrent is illegal. Recording a TV show and distributing it is probably illegal as well. Distributing a company&#39;s software without their consent is illegal.
http://www.monduna.com/bt/faq.html#LEGAL_1

What&#39;s in a torrent file?
BitTorrent dumper
I was experimenting with BitTorrent, so I wrote a little file dumper to see what was in the mysterious [torrent files are not allowed] files. The code doesn&#39;t just parse the protocol; it&#39;ll dump whatever the decoder can find. Sample output:

info
length 41470132
piece length 262144
name Halo2_E3.wmv
pieces [159 SHA-1 values]
announce http://news.gametab.com:6969/announce

http://www.nelson.monkey.org/~nelson/weblog/tech/bittorrent

[LEGAL-5] Q: What files/sites are being targeted?
Sites that host trackers are the primary targets for legal action. If a tracker host is taken down, then all torrents that use that site to connect to other users will no longer be able to function.

See my above post. Tracker software is not illegal. However, apparently it&#39;s like painting a big red "x" on you ass.
http://www.monduna.com/bt/faq.html#LEGAL_1

[LEGAL-3] Q: Why are so many torrent sites being shut down?
Torrent sites are being shut down because they violate copyright law. The people that own the copyrights to a particular work contact the owners of the site, or the company that hosts the site and threaten to take legal action against the site. Sometimes the site&#39;s host will disable the site, and sometimes the site&#39;s webmaster will take the site down themselves to avoid legal trouble.
See my above post involving Wanrner Bros. and Phoenix-torrents. You cannot scare at the drop of a dime when running a torrent site. You must have total faith that Torrent Files are legal, and It is only torrent files being hosted on you site. NOT COPYWRITED MATERIAL&#33; I would also strongly subjest that the warning, "None of the files shown here are actually hosted on this server. The links are provided solely by this site&#39;s users. The administrator of this site cannot be held responsible for what its users post, or any other actions of its users. You may not use this site to distribute or download any material when you do not have the legal rights to do so. It is your own responsibility to adhere to these terms." be posted anywhere torrent files may appear on your site.

HOSTING TORRENT FILES IS NOT ILLEGAL
It is important to understand what a torrent file it, a text file.
The powers that be do tend to target torrent sites. Although the torrents are not illegal, what people may choose to do with them maybe. As with the Supreme Courts decision regaruding Kazaa.... "the software is totally legal. However, individual users can be held responcible for thier illegal use of." It is up to each user as to wither or not they are willing to take this risk.

For other questions regaurding setting up a torrent site, I would be happy to contact an Admin. of such a site with on your behalf.

A torrent file is 100% legal in every country that I know of.
It is a text file that contains the following.

The Location of a tracker, a user given file name, and size.

For example, the following sentence contains all the information in a torrent file.
The file by the name of "how to burn a cd", is on a tracker located at 22.3363.xxx, it is 53mbs in size.

Nothing illegal. And I have to say it really pisses off "the powers that be", that there is nothing illegal there. Absolutly nothing that even close the the work that they may hold the rights to.

This reminds me of a situation that another torrent forum site went through with Warner Bros. I copied this post by thier Admin.

Little story for you all.......................

Our tracker hosts received this on friday night/saturday morning depending on where you live

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Network Operations Center:

We are writing this letter on behalf of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.
("Warner Bros.").

As you may know, Warner Bros. is the holder of rights under copyright,
including exclusive distribution rights, in and to the motion picture(s)
listed above.

No one is authorized to perform, exhibit, reproduce, transmit, or otherwise
distribute the above-mentioned work(s) without the express written
permission of Warner Bros., which permission Warner Bros. has not granted to

We have received information that an individual has utilized the
above-referenced IP address at the noted date and time to offer downloads of

the above-mentioned work through a "peer-to-peer" service.

The attached documentation specifies the location on your network where the
infringement occurred, the number of repeat violations recorded at this
specific location, as well as any available identifying information.

The distribution of unauthorized copies of copyrighted motion pictures
constitutes copyright infringement under the Copyright Act, Title 17 United
States Code Section 106(3). This conduct may also violate the laws of other
countries, international law, and/or treaty obligations.

Since you own this IP address, we request that you immediately do the
following:

1) Disable access to the individual who has engaged in the conduct described

above; and
2) Terminate any and all accounts that this individual has through you.

On behalf of Warner Bros., owner of the exclusive rights to the copyrighted
material at issue in this notice, we hereby state, pursuant to the Digital
Millennium Copyright Act, Title 17 United States Code Section 512, that we
have a good faith belief that use of the material in the manner complained
of is not authorized by Warner Bros., its respective agents, or the law.

Also pursuant to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, we hereby state that
we believe the information in this notification is accurate, and, under
penalty of perjury, that MediaSentry is authorized to act on behalf of the
owner of the exclusive rights being infringed as set forth in this
notification.

Please contact us at the above listed address or by replying to this email
should you have any questions.

We appreciate your assistance and thank you for your cooperation in this
matter. In your future correspondence with us, please refer to Case ID

Your prompt response is requested.

Respectfully,

Mark Weaver,
Director of Enforcement
MediaSentry, Inc.
(212) 925-9997

------------------------------
Infringement Detail:
Infringing Work: Mystic River - DVD
Filepath: Mystic.River.FS.DVDR_BooZerS[torrent files are not allowed]/
Filename: mysticfs-boozers.r00
First Found: 4 May 2004 14:10:9 EDT (GMT -0400)
Last Found: 4 May 2004 14:10:9 EDT (GMT -0400)
Filesize: 48,828k
IP Port: 80
Network: BTTrackers
Protocol: BitTorrent
====================================

So our tracker server got taken offline - we were shut down again..... BOOOOOO&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

Till we decided - well f**k that - it aint happening - and we went to the server hosts with everything we got. and the long and short of it - they looked and said - -- yeah you&#39;re right enough - f**k them ---- you&#39;re clean and turned the server back on -------

the reasoning behind this

Theres no links on the server

Theres no files on the server

In fact - there aint much of anything on there apart from the 110 K of tracker software - which is 100 % LEGAL - and the server peeps agreed with us - its 100 % legal

So what does this mean for us ????

well basically now our hosts have looked and said nah you&#39;re perfectly legal and given us the server back - the initials need to go to ANY tracker hosts and say - they have software on your servers which is 100% legal, but then could be used for illegal stuff to and we just dont like it - shut them down...and like they&#39;re gonna listen to that line especially now they have taken OUR side

So there we go - we could have just accepted the loss of another server, and took our tracker elsewhere - but f**k that - we made a stance against the intials and its paid off in not only this forums favour but the whole BT communities favour - we now have server hosts and isps tellnig them to go f**k themselves it aint illegal to run a tracker

The same thing goes for torrent files, F**ck&#39;em. It ain&#39;t illegal to host a torrent file, and it ain&#39;t illegal to run a tracker.

I won&#39;t say that there is no risk to users of the torrent files. Many torrent forums host warning like this....

Disclaimer: None of the files shown here are actually hosted on this server. The links are provided solely by this site&#39;s users. The administrator of this site cannot be held responsible for what its users post, or any other actions of its users. You may not use this site to distribute or download any material when you do not have the legal rights to do so. It is your own responsibility to adhere to these terms.

If you want to see how a torrent forum is set up, here is one of the best. Learn from what others have already done.
www.phoenix-torrents.com

that good enough? ;)

BawA
07-26-2004, 04:16 PM
7th Element

Torrent files are different because you can compare them with the first part of a rar archive. Allowing this is like posting htt*://somelink.to/somewarez.rar cause they are the first step to download a file.

You should look around for confirmation on this and be sure you can handle yourself legally before you embark on anything too quickly

then how came some IB forums do have BT links posted on them just like FastTracker, i think thoes Rules r applied for the Free Forums which r Dedicated to invinsion Server so posting warez will effict them but if uve got ur own private server u dont need to worry about it.