PDA

View Full Version : I Need Advise

ripley02
07-27-2004, 06:29 PM
i am getting broaband dsl since it is now in my area and have already ordered. i will be getting sbc up to 1.5 Mbps.

the question i have is this. my computer is about 20 feet from the nearest phone jack and i want to know if i buy a long enough cable will it lessen my speed at all?

b/c i have dial up right now and i know that it does not connect at the highest speed.

also are there any other solutions that could be recommended?

thanks.

shn
07-27-2004, 08:19 PM
Make sure you put the dsl filters on all your phone jacks or anywhere where a phone line is connected. That goes for sattelite phone jack too. Once the filters are on you shouldn't have any problem connecting to sbc. You'll probably be connecting pppoe and it's much better if you do that without a router/modem. If you have just a modem then use that and the internet connection wizard in xp for pppoe.

Sbc has poor customer service so your own your own pretty much unless you want to sit on the phone for an hour and wait for some techie who does not know zip to begin with, they just read that mess off a computer screen to assist you.

Pathetic, but the speeds are top notch. Maybe more for me because one of their centers is right down the street from me and in the Terms of agreement you'll see you get better connection speeds the closer you are to one of their dsl centers. And you will also get a number of port scans from sbc daily so don't get jumpy because they do it on their whole network nationwide.

manker
07-27-2004, 11:10 PM
When your equipment comes then you will probably have a piece of DSL cable which will not be 20 feet in length, you can connect it up to normal telephone cable to reach the jack but that does affect the connection - not so much the speed of the connection, but it can cause the connection to break sometimes.

Better to make an additional investment to have the longer piece of DSL cable.

shn
07-27-2004, 11:38 PM
I assume you mean phone cord when you say dsl cable. In any event just go and buy a 20ft phone cord from the store, shouldn't be any more that $4 bucks.

manker
07-27-2004, 11:50 PM
No, I meant DSL cable.

I did have a really long regular phone cable bridging the gap from the end of my DSL cable to the phone jack - one of the ones that curl up on a reel - My connection kept dropping so I bought a long piece of DSL cable to replace it and the problem stopped. Cost fifteen quid ($25).

shn
07-28-2004, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by manker@27 July 2004 - 17:51
No, I meant DSL cable.

I did have a really long regular phone cable bridging the gap from the end of my DSL cable to the phone jack - one of the ones that curl up on a reel - My connection kept dropping so I bought a long piece of DSL cable to replace it and the problem stopped. Cost fifteen quid ($25).
I've never heard of dsl cable and they probably don't exist. Is that the right terminolgy or do you mean ethernet cord or cat5 cable?

manker
07-28-2004, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by shn+28 July 2004 - 01:02--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (shn @ 28 July 2004 - 01:02)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-manker@27 July 2004 - 17:51
No, I meant DSL cable.

I did have a really long regular phone cable bridging the gap from the end of my DSL cable to the phone jack - one of the ones that curl up on a reel - My connection kept dropping so I bought a long piece of DSL cable to replace it and the problem stopped. Cost fifteen quid (&#036;25).
I&#39;ve never heard of dsl cable and they probably don&#39;t exist. Is that the right terminolgy or do you mean ethernet cord or cat5 cable? [/b][/quote]
It came in a packet that said DSL cable on it, so as far as I&#39;m aware the terminology is fine. I&#39;m not going to call it something else just because you&#39;ve never heard of it.

shn
07-28-2004, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by manker+27 July 2004 - 18:22--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (manker @ 27 July 2004 - 18:22)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by shn@28 July 2004 - 01:02
<!--QuoteBegin-manker@27 July 2004 - 17:51
No, I meant DSL cable.

I did have a really long regular phone cable bridging the gap from the end of my DSL cable to the phone jack - one of the ones that curl up on a reel - My connection kept dropping so I bought a long piece of DSL cable to replace it and the problem stopped. Cost fifteen quid (&#036;25).
I&#39;ve never heard of dsl cable and they probably don&#39;t exist. Is that the right terminolgy or do you mean ethernet cord or cat5 cable?
It came in a packet that said DSL cable on it, so as far as I&#39;m aware the terminology is fine. I&#39;m not going to call it something else just because you&#39;ve never heard of it. [/b][/quote]
Well I was not being coy, it&#39;s just like I said. There is no such thing as a DSL cable and instead of acknowledging that you chose to be wrong.

Just because I have a box of sandwhich bags does not make them ziplocks. A phone cord is a phone cord, nothing fancy about it, not even in a dsl sense. :)

DanB
07-28-2004, 12:32 AM
Its prolly cat5 cable

manker
07-28-2004, 12:48 AM
bah&#33;

The cord I have is different from regular phone cord, it&#39;s thicker, it cost more, it also made my internet connection work a lot better.

The company I bought it from chose to call it DSL cable. If I paid extra for regular phone cord then perhaps my modem thinks of it like a placebo? Oh wait. Hardware doesn&#39;t have a personality :rolleyes:

DanB
07-28-2004, 12:57 AM
Placebo are a good band

shn
07-28-2004, 12:58 AM
Well maybe the outer lining is different but that&#39;s about it. I see know way whatsoever how that can work any more efficiently than a rather longer basic phone cord.

The reason being is that I would bet it uses the same rj connecter that a phone cord does so besides being thicker the concept is rather pointless. cha ching&#33;

But hey, I&#39;m very pleased with using my plain ol phone cord and I&#39;m sure your even happier with your phone cord.

manker
07-28-2004, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by shn@28 July 2004 - 01:59
Well maybe the outer lining is different but that&#39;s about it. I see know way whatsoever how that can work any more efficiently than a rather longer basic phone cord.

The reason being is that I would bet it uses the same rj connecter that a phone cord does so besides being thicker the concept is rather pointless. cha ching&#33;

But hey, I&#39;m very pleased with using my plain ol phone cord and I&#39;m sure your even happier with your phone cord.
You&#39;ve such a nice demeanor :D

Here is a quote from someone who clearly knows more about this than both of us, source (http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,10428529~mode=flat)

&nbsp; &nbsp;
What&#39;s so "special" about the wire? Can I instead, use any phone cable to do this ?

Most of the generic phone cords are flat. Flat cords provide no protection from interference. The idea with twisted pair is that any outside interference that hits the wire also hits it "inverted", canceling itself out. In addition to that the DSLX cord may also be shielded. Shielding prevents interference from hitting the pair in the first place. Shielding is most effective if it&#39;s connected to an electrical ground.

-- Rob
--
&#092;&#092;ROB - a part of the SCB local network

I guess that&#39;s what I paid extra for. Note he calls it DSLX cord - I missed the &#39;X&#39; out, ah well. it was a year ago :huh:

manker
07-28-2004, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by danb@28 July 2004 - 01:58
Placebo are a good band
If you can&#39;t sleep they are :huh: :lol:

shn
07-28-2004, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by manker+27 July 2004 - 19:02--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (manker @ 27 July 2004 - 19:02)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-shn@28 July 2004 - 01:59
Well maybe the outer lining is different but that&#39;s about it.&nbsp; I see know way whatsoever how that can work any more efficiently than a rather longer basic phone cord.

The reason being is that I would bet it uses the same rj connecter that a phone cord does so besides being thicker the concept is rather pointless.&nbsp; cha ching&#33;

You&#39;ve such a nice demeanor :D

Here is a quote from someone who clearly knows more about this than both of us, source (http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,10428529~mode=flat)

&nbsp; &nbsp;
What&#39;s so "special" about the wire? Can I instead, use any phone cable to do this ?

Most of the generic phone cords are flat. Flat cords provide no protection from interference. The idea with twisted pair is that any outside interference that hits the wire also hits it "inverted", canceling itself out. In addition to that the DSLX cord may also be shielded. Shielding prevents interference from hitting the pair in the first place. Shielding is most effective if it&#39;s connected to an electrical ground.

-- Rob
--
&#092;&#092;ROB - a part of the SCB local network

I guess that&#39;s what I paid extra for. Note he calls it DSLX cord - I missed the &#39;X&#39; out, ah well. it was a year ago :huh: [/b][/quote]
Well I&#39;ve got sbc and I&#39;ll be sure to tell them first thing in the morning to send me one of thoose fancy smancy dslX cords. :lol:

j/k

ripley02
07-28-2004, 03:12 PM
thanks everyone. i hope to get the kit sometime today and hope everything goes OK.