PDA

View Full Version : Free Scanner Software

Rip The Jacker
07-27-2004, 09:53 PM
I have a HP PSC 1315 All-In-One printer, and I was wondering if there is any good scanning software out there? I tried Googling, but couldn't find anything good.

jmrjlk
07-27-2004, 10:38 PM
What's wrong with the software provided ?

I've been looking at this one to replace what I have - But there's no mention of OCR software ... does it have character recognition ?

Rip The Jacker
07-27-2004, 10:57 PM
Here is the thing, my computer, it sucks. It sucks so bad, that when the CPU usage is high (80%-100%) for about a minute, my system crashes, its been like that for the last year or so.

HP was thinking "Hey lets give this printer a shitload of crap that needs to be installed, with an installer that takes "approx. 35" minutes."

In short, my computer crashes when I try to install the software. I managed to get the drivers installed, so I can print, and thats it. So I was wondering if there is software out there, that isn't huge, and needs a big installation, that I can use.

Sorry if I sound like an ass, I hate my computer, and I can't get this damn thing to work.

shn
07-27-2004, 11:00 PM
xp has built in scanner support. Works pretty good too.

Rip The Jacker
07-27-2004, 11:06 PM
I'm using Windows 2000. :(

My printer is a "Twain" device, I'm pretty sure. When I try to scan with Twain supported programs, like Paint Shop Pro, I get the HP Scanning screen, and then this error:

The scanned image will exceed the maimum available memory size on your system. To reduce the memory size, try one or more of the following: Close programs blah blah.
I'm guessing this is because I don't have the software properly installed. :unsure:

shn
07-27-2004, 11:25 PM
http://www.scansoft.com/omnipage/

Try omnipage. It's not free so you'll need to be resourceful. I got mine a while back from emule. Now I just use the xp scanner becuase that proggie is a bit bloated but it works.

The_Hunter
07-28-2004, 03:52 AM
if all else fails try loading all the software onto the hardrive and install from the harddrive. I had same problem with software for my webcam and it was only way software would load

tesco
07-28-2004, 03:57 AM
probably time for a format. :blink:

what are your specs, anyways?

Rip The Jacker
07-28-2004, 04:06 AM
@The_Hunter
Tried that. I don't know why, whenever a program puts strain on my CPU, raising the CPU usage to 80-100%, my computer will crash. I absolutely can't play games on my computer, nor can I install big applications. :frusty:

@ROSSCO_2004
Tried formatting, many times. I gave up on my computer a long time ago, plan on buying a new one soon.

P4 1.6GHz
386 SDRAM
64MB GeForce 4 MX420
Windows 2000Pro

My computer freezes when in stress, my burner can't burn shit onto a CD-R, but works great with CD-RW's. My printer can't even Scan because I can't get the software in.

:frusty:

EDIT: Yeah, and thats why I'm looking for a scanning program thats light and easy to install.

tesco
07-28-2004, 04:15 AM
:blink:
rpobably a driver problem. I know u can fix this...unles there is actually something wrong with ur motherboard or cpu...

install latest graphics, sound, chipset (at motherboard website), and ide drivers if they are seperate from teh cipset ones...see if that makes any difference.

also have you tried using windows xp instead?

Rip The Jacker
07-28-2004, 04:20 AM
Get this, I can't even install Windows XP!! The CPU usage goes up during the Setup, crashing my computer! :frusty:

I've updated drivers, thousands of times. I must have tried 3721042 different things, and one day eventually gave up. My guess? The problem is my motherboard itself, ECS P4VXASD2. I was going to try and replace my motherboard, but the rest of my parts need upgrading anyway. I plan on buying a whole new system soon. I still don't even know why my shitty burner can't burn onto CD-R's, but works fine with CD-RW's.

My system blows harder than Jenna Jameson.

tesco
07-28-2004, 04:25 AM
ok it's a hardware problem then...

install, if u don't already have it, motherboar dmonitor 5.
see firt what ur temp are. they shoudln't be too high.
then check teh voltages and see what the vcore is at.

im thinking either ur cpu\motherboard is getting too hot from the high cpu usage then automatically shutting down OR the vcore is too low and it is making the system unstable.

Rip The Jacker
07-28-2004, 04:51 AM
OK, lets get something strait. I'm paranoid. While my computer is still living, I try to deal with it, and not mess around. I can't afford to screw anything up, because I had to re-install Win2000 a while ago. And it froze on me the first 5 attempts, I nearly killed myself trying to get my computer back up and running.

I installed it, and took a screenshot. BUT after that, my computer started to become really really slow, and being paranoid and everything, I un-installed it.

Here:

http://website.pcextreme.nl/imageuploader/uploads/temps.jpg

I don't want to install it again, sorry.

tesco
07-28-2004, 05:02 AM
ummm...ur case\motherboard temp is WAYYYY too high. ;)

take the side of ur computer and see if your motherboard's fan is still runinng...(if it has one). if not feeel the heatsink...carefully.

leve teh side panel off for a while and see if that helps any. ;)

Rip The Jacker
07-28-2004, 05:11 AM
Power supply fan spinning, CPU fan spinning. Left the side of the case off, same thing.

Those temps were when my computer was Idle by the way. :unsure:

tesco
07-28-2004, 05:44 AM
Originally posted by Rip The Jacker@28 July 2004 - 00:12
Power supply fan spinning, CPU fan spinning. Left the side of the case off, same thing.

Those temps were when my computer was Idle by the way. :unsure:
that's bad.

did u feel the motherboard heatsink? (not the cpu one (big one))

Rip The Jacker
07-28-2004, 06:05 AM
Yup. It was rather hot. :unsure:

tesco
07-28-2004, 06:08 AM
Originally posted by Rip The Jacker@28 July 2004 - 01:06
Yup. It was rather hot. :unsure:
hmm, if u have a fan or two lying around it could help to aim it cirectly at that hot heatsink to cool it a bit...

i think a new motherboard\computer would be easiest way to fix this though...so just get back to what u were doing before. ;)

btw, how were u mod of gameworld but u can't even play games. :o amazing. :P

Rip The Jacker
07-28-2004, 06:25 AM
Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@27 July 2004 - 22:09
btw, how were u mod of gameworld but u can't even play games. :o amazing. :P
That was me, the Gameworld Mod with a PC that couldn't play games. :lol:

Thats how sad it was... well I still have my Xbox...

I need a new computer... :(

tesco
07-28-2004, 06:28 AM
Originally posted by Rip The Jacker+28 July 2004 - 01:26--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Rip The Jacker @ 28 July 2004 - 01:26)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ROSSCO_2004@27 July 2004 - 22:09
btw, how were u mod of gameworld but u can&#39;t even play games. :o amazing. :P
That was me, the Gameworld Mod with a PC that couldn&#39;t play games. :lol:

Thats how sad it was... well I still have my Xbox...

I need a new computer... :( [/b][/quote]
oh, right, forgot about consoles. :)

firefox
07-28-2004, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by shn@27 July 2004 - 17:26
http://www.scansoft.com/omnipage/

Try omnipage. It&#39;s not free so you&#39;ll need to be resourceful. I got mine a while back from emule. Now I just use the xp scanner becuase that proggie is a bit bloated but it works.
this one works great