PDA

View Full Version : Folders Popping Up !

sameer0807
07-28-2004, 01:26 AM
Hey guys,

When i restart my computer i get so many windows folder pop ups. I have no clue why i m getting those folder pop ups.

In msconfig, under Startup i have unchecked every single box, but i m still getting those folder pop-ups when i restart my computer.

Is there a way to stop random folders to pop-up on restart......I don't think it's a spyware or something because those folders are for the softwares installed on my Pc.

But during installation of a software, i don't click on "Start on Startup" or something like that....

Can someone please help me, get rid of those folders popin-up on me ?

THANKS FOR YOUR TIME,
CHEERS !

dopey
07-28-2004, 03:20 AM
re-enable everything in msconfig. reboot,

get hijack this and post your log in a reply here.

http://www.allsecpros.com/#hjt

cheers.

tesco
07-28-2004, 03:38 AM
yes probably spyware or viruses.

100%
07-28-2004, 08:47 AM
Check that this is unmarked
open explorer
goto tools
folder options
view
-unmark: restore previous folder windows at logon

imported_spirex
07-29-2004, 06:15 AM
In the Start menu, All Programs, Start Up; check to see if the folders popping up have shortcuts in there.

4play
07-29-2004, 09:48 AM
this can be caused by having spaces in folder names.

I had the same problem when i installed my video card drivers to a folder called "c:\program files\ati" this folder would open on starup for no reason.When i looked in msconfig i had an ati control panel set to startup in a folder called "c:\program files\ati technologies".

that space meant windows just stoppped there to look for something to open and it found the folder.

check through and make sure this is not the case.

Snee
07-29-2004, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by sameer0807@28 July 2004 - 02:27
Hey guys,

When i restart my computer i get so many windows folder pop ups. I have no clue why i m getting those folder pop ups.

In msconfig, under Startup i have unchecked every single box, but i m still getting those folder pop-ups when i restart my computer.

Is there a way to stop random folders to pop-up on restart......I don't think it's a spyware or something because those folders are for the softwares installed on my Pc.

But during installation of a software,  i don't click on "Start on Startup" or something like that....

Can someone please help me, get rid of those folders popin-up on me ?

THANKS FOR YOUR TIME,
CHEERS !
If your os is in, say french, it might be the same as happens on some other language os's.

If the folder that's called "program files" is called "program" on your os, and a program auto installs to "program files" so you have both a program and a program files folder, it fucks with the registry, leading to that the program folder always opens on startup.

There's a regedit you can do to make it stop, tho' I can't recall it now.

It may be something similar.

sameer0807
07-30-2004, 06:44 AM
Originally posted by spirex@28 July 2004 - 23:16
In the Start menu, All Programs, Start Up; check to see if the folders popping up have shortcuts in there.
RIGHT ON, MAN !
that was the reason, I was getting those folder pop-ups, because i had most of my software shortcuts in the STARTUP directory.

Now i have removed all the softwares from there and i don't get any more folder pop-ups.

Thanks alot mate,
CHEERS !
:)