PDA

View Full Version : Another Excuse For People Who Dont What They're

MicroScreen2
07-28-2004, 10:05 PM
why does someone always have to ruin it for us. this time its Warren Leblanc's fault.

this kid attacked some other kid with a hammer, facing a charge of murder his mum decides to blame it on him playing manhunt.

you're better off reading the news page thingy >>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/leicest...ire/3934277.stm (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/leicestershire/3934277.stm)

now hippies are calling to get the game banned <_< . ya&#39;ll better hope they dont stop san andreas :(

TheRealDave
07-28-2004, 10:06 PM
when GTA first came out i think there was a big disbute about it.. SA is 18+ so the parents will be held responsable.. what rating is manhunt?

MicroScreen2
07-28-2004, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by TheRealDave@28 July 2004 - 22:07
when GTA first came out i think there was a big disbute about it.. SA is 18+ so the parents will be held responsable.. what rating is manhunt?
SA is an 18.

the gta conroversy was 50% publicity stunt 50% hippies saying this would happen

and you know what all 3 games have in common? :rolleyes:

Cheese
07-28-2004, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by TheRealDave@28 July 2004 - 22:07
Manhunt is rated 18+ so wtf was a 17 year old doing with it?

Another case of a bad parent blaming everyone but themselves.

btw Manhunt is crap.

MicroScreen2
07-28-2004, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by Withcheese+28 July 2004 - 22:14--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Withcheese @ 28 July 2004 - 22:14)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-TheRealDave@28 July 2004 - 22:07

btw Manhunt is crap. [/b][/quote]
its not bad parenting in that way. its bad parenting as in making a game a scapegoat cos you cant admit you raised a nutcase <_<

Cheese
07-28-2004, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by MicroScreen2+28 July 2004 - 22:22--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MicroScreen2 @ 28 July 2004 - 22:22)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Withcheese@28 July 2004 - 22:14
<!--QuoteBegin-TheRealDave@28 July 2004 - 22:07

btw Manhunt is crap.
its not bad parenting in that way. its bad parenting as in making a game a scapegoat cos you cant admit you raised a nutcase <_< [/b][/quote]
That was my point.

For disagreeing with me I&#39;m gonna go out and steal a car, race it to a gun shop and buy a sniper rifle with some gold coins I collected and double jump into a tree near your base and pwn your ass. :ph34r:

99shassan
07-28-2004, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by Withcheese+28 July 2004 - 23:20--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Withcheese @ 28 July 2004 - 23:20)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by MicroScreen2@28 July 2004 - 22:22

Originally posted by Withcheese@28 July 2004 - 22:14

btw Manhunt is crap.
its not bad parenting in that way. its bad parenting as in making a game a scapegoat cos you cant admit you raised a nutcase <_<
That was my point.

For disagreeing with me I&#39;m gonna go out and steal a car, race it to a gun shop and buy a sniper rifle with some gold coins I collected and double jump into a tree near your base and pwn your ass. :ph34r: [/b][/quote]
:lol: :lol:

It is pretty typical to blame the games. They say it might have been some sort of trigger. So... where did this thing that it triggers come from?

peat moss
07-29-2004, 01:27 AM
I could blame my whole sad life on video games. But fuk it were&#39;s Coleco Vision now?
Can I still sue do you think? That fuking Donkey Kong and his barrels, chasing that poor liitle plumber, Mario around . Enought to make grown man cry. :(

Rick Phlegm
07-29-2004, 02:49 AM
This whole thing pissed me off as well <_<

You&#39;ve pretty much said it all in this thread. Just something else to blame other than themselves. Before video games it was movies, TV shows etc. Just another scapegoat...

Hell, I think they even blamed Tom & Jerry for violent crime at one point&#33;

SingaBoiy
07-29-2004, 05:08 AM
Originally posted by Withcheese+28 July 2004 - 13:14--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Withcheese &#064; 28 July 2004 - 13:14)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-TheRealDave@28 July 2004 - 22:07

btw Manhunt is crap. [/b][/quote]
No. It is rated Mature. Thats 17+ ;)

EDIT: ATM, I am hooked on NCAA Football 2005... that doesnt make me wanna go out and play for Stanford. There are very few instances like this and knows if its related to the games. On CSI they had a show were this girl lured this guy out to a consturction site where she and a few friends murdered the guy with hammers. Maybe he got a hold of that episode. There is no way of telling he did it cause he was &#39;obsessed&#39; with the game. Unless he actually confesses that :rolleyes:

Cheese
07-29-2004, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by SingaBoiy+29 July 2004 - 05:09--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (SingaBoiy &#064; 29 July 2004 - 05:09)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Withcheese@28 July 2004 - 13:14

btw Manhunt is crap.

EDIT: ATM, I am hooked on NCAA Football 2005... that doesnt make me wanna go out and play for Stanford. There are very few instances like this and knows if its related to the games. On CSI they had a show were this girl lured this guy out to a consturction site where she and a few friends murdered the guy with hammers. Maybe he got a hold of that episode. There is no way of telling he did it cause he was &#39;obsessed&#39; with the game. Unless he actually confesses that :rolleyes: [/b][/quote]
Sorry Sing but the game is actually rated 18+ by the BBFC (British Board of Film Classification) in the UK so here he should not have had the game.

Game blamed for hammer murder

The parents of a boy who was murdered with a claw hammer by a friend have blamed a violent video game which the teenage killer was "obsessed" with.
Warren Leblanc, 17, repeatedly stabbed 14-year-old Stefan Pakeerah after luring him to a Leicester park to steal from him on 27 February.

He pleaded guilty to murder at Leicester Crown Court on Wednesday.

Stefan&#39;s mother described Leblanc, who confessed to police moments after the assault, as "inherently evil".

Video game &#39;obsession&#39;

Stefan&#39;s mother, Giselle, a research nurse, had to leave court when the evidence in the case became too harrowing.

Following the hearing she said her son&#39;s killer had mimicked a game called Manhunt, developed by Edinburgh-based Rockstar North, in which the players score points for violent killings.

Manhunt was banned six months ago in New Zealand by censorship officials.
Mrs Pakeerah said: "I heard some of Warren&#39;s friends say that he was obsessed by this game.

"To quote from the website that promotes it, it calls it a psychological experience, not a game, and it encourages brutal killing.

"If he was obsessed by it, it could well be that the boundaries for him became quite hazy."

Mrs Pakeerah, 36, called for violent video games to be banned.

Covered in blood

She said: "I can&#39;t believe that this sort of material is allowed in a society where anarchy is not that far removed.

"It should not be available and it should not be available to young people."

I don&#39;t play these games but if they are influencing kids to go out and kill people then you don&#39;t want them on the shelves
Patrick Pakeerah, victim&#39;s father

Leblanc, of Braunstone Frith, Leicester, persuaded his victim to go to nearby Stoke Woods Park, known locally as The Dumps - to meet two girls.

The court heard how he armed himself with a knife and claw hammer to carry out the attack.

He confessed to the killing moments later when he was found covered in blood by two police officers.

Outside court Stefan&#39;s father, Patrick, said: "They were playing a game called Manhunt.

"The way Warren committed the murder is how the game is set out - killing people using weapons like hammers and knives.

"There is some connection between the game and what he has done."

Game ban

Echoing his former partner, the civil servant said: "I don&#39;t play these games but if they are influencing kids to go out and kill people then you don&#39;t want them on the shelves."

When police discovered Stefan, they found he had sustained horrific and fatal injuries.

The boy had been hit so hard with the hammer he had suffered deep cuts to his head and neck. His head had been fractured in several places.

He had multiple stab wounds, with the knife being plunged so deep that it had caused serious injuries to his kidney and liver.

A spokesman for the Entertainment and Leisure Software Publishers&#39; Association said: "We sympathise enormously with the family and parents of Stefan Pakeerah.

"However, we reject any suggestion or association between the tragic events and the sale of the video game Manhunt.

"The game in question is classified 18 by the British Board of Film Classification and therefore should not be in the possession of a juvenile.

"Simply being in someone&#39;s possession does not and should not lead to the conclusion that a game is responsible for these tragic events."

Judge Michael Stokes QC said Leblanc had carried out "a brutal, cold-blooded murder" and could expect a life sentence.

Sentencing was adjourned for reports.

@All: And as Chris Rock said after the Columbine killings, "Whatever happened to just being crazy? Parent&#39;s gotta blame someone." (I paraphrase).

SingaBoiy
07-29-2004, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Withcheese+28 July 2004 - 23:57--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Withcheese @ 28 July 2004 - 23:57)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by SingaBoiy@29 July 2004 - 05:09

Originally posted by Withcheese@28 July 2004 - 13:14

btw Manhunt is crap.

EDIT: ATM, I am hooked on NCAA Football 2005... that doesnt make me wanna go out and play for Stanford. There are very few instances like this and knows if its related to the games. On CSI they had a show were this girl lured this guy out to a consturction site where she and a few friends murdered the guy with hammers. Maybe he got a hold of that episode. There is no way of telling he did it cause he was &#39;obsessed&#39; with the game. Unless he actually confesses that :rolleyes:
Sorry Sing but the game is actually rated 18+ by the BBFC (British Board of Film Classification) in the UK so here he should not have had the game.

Game blamed for hammer murder

The parents of a boy who was murdered with a claw hammer by a friend have blamed a violent video game which the teenage killer was "obsessed" with.
Warren Leblanc, 17, repeatedly stabbed 14-year-old Stefan Pakeerah after luring him to a Leicester park to steal from him on 27 February.

He pleaded guilty to murder at Leicester Crown Court on Wednesday.

Stefan&#39;s mother described Leblanc, who confessed to police moments after the assault, as "inherently evil".

Video game &#39;obsession&#39;

Stefan&#39;s mother, Giselle, a research nurse, had to leave court when the evidence in the case became too harrowing.

Following the hearing she said her son&#39;s killer had mimicked a game called Manhunt, developed by Edinburgh-based Rockstar North, in which the players score points for violent killings.

Manhunt was banned six months ago in New Zealand by censorship officials.
Mrs Pakeerah said: "I heard some of Warren&#39;s friends say that he was obsessed by this game.

"To quote from the website that promotes it, it calls it a psychological experience, not a game, and it encourages brutal killing.

"If he was obsessed by it, it could well be that the boundaries for him became quite hazy."

Mrs Pakeerah, 36, called for violent video games to be banned.

Covered in blood

She said: "I can&#39;t believe that this sort of material is allowed in a society where anarchy is not that far removed.

"It should not be available and it should not be available to young people."

I don&#39;t play these games but if they are influencing kids to go out and kill people then you don&#39;t want them on the shelves
Patrick Pakeerah, victim&#39;s father

Leblanc, of Braunstone Frith, Leicester, persuaded his victim to go to nearby Stoke Woods Park, known locally as The Dumps - to meet two girls.

The court heard how he armed himself with a knife and claw hammer to carry out the attack.

He confessed to the killing moments later when he was found covered in blood by two police officers.

Outside court Stefan&#39;s father, Patrick, said: "They were playing a game called Manhunt.

"The way Warren committed the murder is how the game is set out - killing people using weapons like hammers and knives.

"There is some connection between the game and what he has done."

Game ban

Echoing his former partner, the civil servant said: "I don&#39;t play these games but if they are influencing kids to go out and kill people then you don&#39;t want them on the shelves."

When police discovered Stefan, they found he had sustained horrific and fatal injuries.

The boy had been hit so hard with the hammer he had suffered deep cuts to his head and neck. His head had been fractured in several places.

He had multiple stab wounds, with the knife being plunged so deep that it had caused serious injuries to his kidney and liver.

A spokesman for the Entertainment and Leisure Software Publishers&#39; Association said: "We sympathise enormously with the family and parents of Stefan Pakeerah.

"However, we reject any suggestion or association between the tragic events and the sale of the video game Manhunt.

"The game in question is classified 18 by the British Board of Film Classification and therefore should not be in the possession of a juvenile.

"Simply being in someone&#39;s possession does not and should not lead to the conclusion that a game is responsible for these tragic events."

Judge Michael Stokes QC said Leblanc had carried out "a brutal, cold-blooded murder" and could expect a life sentence.

Sentencing was adjourned for reports.

@All: And as Chris Rock said after the Columbine killings, "Whatever happened to just being crazy? Parent&#39;s gotta blame someone." (I paraphrase). [/b][/quote]
Oh yea, forgot this is a UK story. :rolleyes:

soopaman
07-29-2004, 06:00 PM
I have been following this story in the English press for a while now.
It was on the News last night and the victims Mother has said she&#39;ll
sue Rockstar for "Negligence". Now I&#39;m not a Barrister but HOW ???

Fuckin&#39; American compensation culture strikes again - we must
BLAME someone for anything bad happening. I have every sympathy
for the Mother but she should stop taking the fucking piss&#33;&#33;&#33; :angry:

When will the blame game end???

Cheese
07-29-2004, 06:19 PM
Why did they parent allow a minor to have this game? Surely she won&#39;t be able to sue a company for "negligence" when it is her role as parent and guardian to ensure that her son is not open to unsuitable material.

FFS own up, you used the Playstation as a replacement babysitter and you fucked up.

How come she didn&#39;t notice this supposed growing obsession with this game before something bad happened and done something about it? Why isn&#39;t the commpany that made the claw hammer being blamed?

I hate this type of shit, makes my blood boil... :angry:

Snee
07-29-2004, 06:23 PM
I blame the people who made the hammer.

They should have put a label that said "not for bashing in skulls" on there.

ahctlucabbuS
07-29-2004, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by MicroScreen2@28 July 2004 - 23:06
why does someone always have to ruin it for us. this time its Warren Leblanc&#39;s fault.

this kid attacked some other kid with a hammer, facing a charge of murder his mum decides to blame it on him playing manhunt.

you&#39;re better off reading the news page thingy >>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/leicest...ire/3934277.stm (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/leicestershire/3934277.stm)

now hippies are calling to get the game banned <_< . ya&#39;ll better hope they dont stop san andreas :(
There will always be troubled individuals out there.

Manhunt might have been an eliciting factor, who knows.

It couldn&#39;t have been the only reason though.

So, instead of blaming a game (which I guess could juast as easy have been a movie, CD

or some other influential source) the parents should look elsewhere for blame
IMO.

MicroScreen2
07-29-2004, 06:24 PM
it doesnt take a game to remind you to use a weapon. i think had i been crazy and wanted to kill someone for a laugh i would have used a hammer too, failing a machete anyway :unsure:

quick&#33; lock me up before the lines get blurred :fear:

ahctlucabbuS
07-29-2004, 06:33 PM
why does someone always have to ruin it for us. this time its Warren Leblanc&#39;s fault.

This sentence put me off though. Noone have ruined it for us. Blaming an axe murderer for ruining something as pointless as gaming just doesn&#39;t seem right.

Warren Leblanc ruined the lives of many people, he didn&#39;t ruin gaming.

MicroScreen2
07-29-2004, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by Barky@29 July 2004 - 18:34

This sentence put me off though. Noone have ruined it for us. Blaming an axe murderer for ruining something as pointless as gaming just doesn&#39;t seem right.

Warren Leblanc ruined the lives of many people, he didn&#39;t ruin gaming.
he has if san andreas gets banned

Orange_Boy
07-29-2004, 06:43 PM
They even tried to bann counter strike, doom just because they have these games in there bedroom or home, what if they saw a war film say saving private ryan and the person shot some one with a ww2 rifle would they blaim the movie no they would probley blaim a game sad people who try and blaim some thing if its 18&#39;s then only 18+ are aloud to play it so parents are wrong :D

silent h3ro
07-29-2004, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by SnnY@29 July 2004 - 18:24
I blame the people who made the hammer.

They should have put a label that said "not for bashing in skulls" on there.
hehe its like the time when a lady bought coffee from McDonalds and spilled it on herself and sued McDonalds.Now they are required to have CAUTION: Cofee is hot&#33; on the coffee cup.

soopaman
07-29-2004, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by Withcheese@29 July 2004 - 19:20
Why did they parent allow a minor to have this game? Surely she won&#39;t be able to sue a company for "negligence" when it is her role as parent and guardian to ensure that her son is not open to unsuitable material.

FFS own up, you used the Playstation as a replacement babysitter and you fucked up.

How come she didn&#39;t notice this supposed growing obsession with this game before something bad happened and done something about it? Why isn&#39;t the commpany that made the claw hammer being blamed?

It&#39;s the Victims Mother that has proposed suing Rockstar NOT the
Offenders Mother. Sorry if there was any confusion Cheese. ;)

Cheese
07-29-2004, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by soopaman+29 July 2004 - 19:21--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (soopaman @ 29 July 2004 - 19:21)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Withcheese@29 July 2004 - 19:20
Why did they parent allow a minor to have this game?&nbsp; Surely she won&#39;t be able to sue a company for "negligence" when it is her role as parent and guardian to ensure that her son is not open to unsuitable material.

How come she didn&#39;t notice this supposed growing obsession with this game before something bad happened and done something about it?&nbsp; Why isn&#39;t the commpany that made the claw hammer being blamed?

It&#39;s the Victims Mother that has proposed suing Rockstar NOT the
Offenders Mother. Sorry if there was any confusion Cheese. ;) [/b][/quote]
I should have realised that myself, just woke up when I wrote that.

Still, she should actually then be taking the offender&#39;s mother to court not some games company. (Not criticising your post more the absurdity of the situation).

As a sidenote I just spoke to my friend and he informed me he was now downloading this game, how many other people will now be trying to get hold of this game because of the (bad) publicity? It&#39;s all just so...stupid.

Chame1eon
07-29-2004, 07:49 PM
video games make peopel more violent, but bad parentign has an influence too (and who is to bleame for the parents being to immature or crazy to raise kids), and so do genes, ijury and a lot of chance accidents. i think the video games makers are esier to balme, and sue than genes or unfortunate cloths in kindergarten.

Cheese
07-29-2004, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by Chame1eon@29 July 2004 - 19:50
video games make peopel more violent
There&#39;s no proof of this. In fact some psychologists say that video games can provide a safe release for pent-up agression.

MicroScreen2
07-29-2004, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by Withcheese+29 July 2004 - 20:07--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Withcheese @ 29 July 2004 - 20:07)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Chame1eon@29 July 2004 - 19:50
There&#39;s no proof of this. In fact some psychologists say that video games can provide a safe release for pent-up agression. [/b][/quote]
he seems drunk :rolleyes:

and yeah, i was reading all the related stories on the bbc. ppsychologists say theres no links on any of them, even he ones where kids say games inspired them

Chame1eon
07-29-2004, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by MicroScreen2+29 July 2004 - 15:11--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MicroScreen2 @ 29 July 2004 - 15:11)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Withcheese@29 July 2004 - 20:07
<!--QuoteBegin-Chame1eon@29 July 2004 - 19:50
There&#39;s no proof of this. In fact some psychologists say that video games can provide a safe release for pent-up agression.

and yeah, i was reading all the related stories on the bbc. ppsychologists say theres no links on any of them, even he ones where kids say games inspired them [/b][/quote]
have you ever watched kids play after playing video games or watching power rangers?

MicroScreen2
07-29-2004, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by Chame1eon+29 July 2004 - 20:19--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Chame1eon @ 29 July 2004 - 20:19)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by MicroScreen2@29 July 2004 - 15:11

and yeah, i was reading all the related stories on the bbc. ppsychologists say theres no links on any of them, even he ones where kids say games inspired them
have you ever watched kids play after playing video games or watching power rangers? [/b][/quote]
i was playing cops and robbers with pretend guns when wwe had one tv in the house and i never watched pwoer rangers or any of that crap

Cheese
07-29-2004, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by Chame1eon+29 July 2004 - 20:19--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Chame1eon @ 29 July 2004 - 20:19)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by MicroScreen2@29 July 2004 - 15:11

have you ever watched kids play after playing video games or watching power rangers? [/b][/quote]
Younger children are affected by games they play (or any other media), but this was a 17 year old who should be able to seperate reality and games. Sadly, I think he was a troubled individual who would have done something tragic like this anyhow.

MicroScreen2
07-29-2004, 08:32 PM
i think the news said he ws bullieed, and jealous of his victim,, maybbe i&#39;m thinking of that other kid who killed someone recently though

Chame1eon
07-29-2004, 08:36 PM
yeah, kids play violent games amyway, but i think media amplifies it and makes it seem more acceptable. i think the fact that you played cowboys and indians which was probably popular at the time, and present day kids pretend their robots or whatever proves that they take inspiration from the media that their exposed to.

enven though media influences kids behavior, so do parents genes and the rest of society. not only that but things that are mostly due to chance, like a trumatising car accident, or a bully next door will also have an effect. My point is that you can&#39;t blame parents or kids for being messed up, and you can&#39;t blame whatever media is availabel either. i think media and parents are usually blamed becase it&#39;s easy.

DanB
07-29-2004, 08:39 PM
You want to see the red flags I have to put down on the paving slabs when I go out :rolleyes:

Damn Minesweeper :angry:

Chame1eon
07-29-2004, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by danb@29 July 2004 - 15:40
You want to see the red flags I have to put down on the paving slabs when I go out :rolleyes:

lol obviously they don&#39;t have that much influence.

MicroScreen2
07-29-2004, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Chame1eon+29 July 2004 - 20:47--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Chame1eon @ 29 July 2004 - 20:47)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-danb@29 July 2004 - 15:40
You want to see the red flags I have to put down on the paving slabs when I go out&nbsp; :rolleyes:

Damn Minesweeper&nbsp; :angry:
lol obviously they don&#39;t have that much influence. [/b][/quote]
putting flags on errrr... flags isn&#39;t as silly as killing people cos you did it in a game ;)

Chame1eon
07-29-2004, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by MicroScreen2+29 July 2004 - 15:50--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MicroScreen2 @ 29 July 2004 - 15:50)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Chame1eon@29 July 2004 - 20:47
<!--QuoteBegin-danb@29 July 2004 - 15:40

putting flags on errrr... flags isn&#39;t as silly as killing people cos you did it in a game ;) [/b][/quote]
that&#39;s not what i&#39;m saying. i just think that boith the people that think that it is strictly parents fault, and those that think it is the games fault are over simplifing, which annoys me becase it makes it easy to blame one or the other party. parents shouldn&#39;t shoulder all of the guilt and games shouldn&#39;t be censored.

I think that peopekl will always kill each other, and games make it just slightly more likely, and more often will have influence over the way that it is done.

MicroScreen2
07-29-2004, 09:02 PM
games dont make it any more likely. people who kill other people are sociopaths, psychopaths or do it on impulse. games do not convince people to kill other people

Cheese
07-29-2004, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by Chame1eon+29 July 2004 - 20:59--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Chame1eon &#064; 29 July 2004 - 20:59)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by MicroScreen2@29 July 2004 - 15:50

putting flags on errrr... flags isn&#39;t as silly as killing people cos you did it in a game ;)
that&#39;s not what i&#39;m saying. i just think that boith the people that think that it is strictly parents fault, and those that think it is the games fault are over simplifing, which annoys me becase it makes it easy to blame one or the other party. parents shouldn&#39;t shoulder all of the guilt and games shouldn&#39;t be censored.

I think that peopekl will always kill each other, and games make it just slightly more likely, and more often will have influence over the way that it is done. [/b][/quote]
Bottom line is that the game was supplied to an under-age kid who then went on to develop an unhealthy obsession with it.

Where were the parents at any time in this? They let their child have this game, they let him develop his obsession and it seems they did little to stop this.

I have a 15 year old brother, he is allowed to play counter-strike though a game like Manhunt he would not be allowed to play. Also my parents always look out for his emotional welfare, if they sense something was wrong then they would seek help for him.

Sorry to offend, but in this case I feel the parents are to blame. The obsession with the game was asympton that should have been picked up before this tragic incident.

Orange_Boy
07-29-2004, 09:28 PM
I just saw on the news another news report on this manhunt game. i saw the news the other day and had like the whole day on this murder
and one thing i cant under stand is this

The boys mum ( boy who got murdered ) she said they should bann this games well she also said her 14 year old son and his 17 year friend were playing manhunt for hrs on end so why is she saying they should bann the game when her child was underage in the first place&#33; how can a game make some one do this the game doesnt tell u to kill some one or run over some one or shoot some one its down to the parents if they buy a game for there kids which is for 18&#39;s only then its there fault

also parents tried to bann games like Doom and Counter strike as there were murders in america and they all said they place these games seeing as counter strike is for 15+ so they cant blaim the game and doom is 18
(better post ) :)

Bowen747x
07-30-2004, 03:28 AM
i just would like to know y everyone blames hippies? do u no how stupid u r... why not just just blame a bunch of migget clowns for that matter :P

try to learn what hippies r about before bringing them (or anyone for that matter) into an arguement... the people who are against games are the people who want to hide their children from the evil in society (which is impossible by the way) but the people who do this r usually uptight mothers who have lead a very simple life

Chame1eon
07-30-2004, 04:17 AM
Originally posted by Bowen747x@29 July 2004 - 23:29
i just would like to know y everyone blames hippies? do u no how stupid u r... why not just just blame a bunch of migget clowns for that matter :P

try to learn what hippies r about before bringing them (or anyone for that matter) into an arguement... the people who are against games are the people who want to hide their children from the evil in society (which is impossible by the way) but the people who do this r usually uptight mothers who have lead a very simple life
yeah i though hippies where into the first amendment , the originals ere anyway, but if i say that everyone will be mad at me.

Cheese
07-30-2004, 05:32 AM
Originally posted by Chame1eon+30 July 2004 - 04:18--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Chame1eon @ 30 July 2004 - 04:18)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Bowen747x@29 July 2004 - 23:29

yeah i though hippies where into the first amendment , the originals ere anyway, but if i say that everyone will be mad at me. [/b][/quote]
I don&#39;t think that the one comment was aimed at actual hippies...rather it was used as a deragtory term towards a certain mindset...

Snee
07-30-2004, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Withcheese+29 July 2004 - 22:23--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Withcheese @ 29 July 2004 - 22:23)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Chame1eon@29 July 2004 - 20:59

Originally posted by MicroScreen2@29 July 2004 - 15:50

I think that peopekl will always kill each other, and games make it just slightly more likely, and more often will have influence over the way that it is done.
Bottom line is that the game was supplied to an under-age kid who then went on to develop an unhealthy obsession with it.

Where were the parents at any time in this? They let their child have this game, they let him develop his obsession and it seems they did little to stop this.

I have a 15 year old brother, he is allowed to play counter-strike though a game like Manhunt he would not be allowed to play. Also my parents always look out for his emotional welfare, if they sense something was wrong then they would seek help for him.

Sorry to offend, but in this case I feel the parents are to blame. The obsession with the game was asympton that should have been picked up before this tragic incident. [/b][/quote]
Games don&#39;t kill people, parents kill people? :blink:

MicroScreen2
07-30-2004, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Withcheese+30 July 2004 - 05:33--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Withcheese @ 30 July 2004 - 05:33)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Chame1eon@30 July 2004 - 04:18
<!--QuoteBegin-Bowen747x@29 July 2004 - 23:29

yeah i though hippies where into the first amendment , the originals ere anyway, but if i say that everyone will be mad at me.
I don&#39;t think that the one comment was aimed at actual hippies...rather it was used as a deragtory term towards a certain mindset... [/b][/quote]
i just imagined picket lines outside the rockstar studios full of people who protest at anything, even when they know nothing about it

Shiranai_Baka
07-30-2004, 01:50 PM
People aren&#39;t thinking deep enough, Why aren&#39;t the game developers crazy like that kid? its not the game&#39;s fault, surely the people who make the game should be alot more insane than the people who play it and you don&#39;t see these game developers going out killing people. Its absurd. I truly believe this is the parents&#39; fault. They have responsibilities as parents to watch over their children to make sure that they won&#39;t do anything dangerous to endanger themselves or other people.

Cheese
08-04-2004, 05:35 PM
Victim not killer owned &#39;muder manual&#39; game (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/08/04/manhunt_murder_claim/)

The copy of the computer game Manhunt that was discovered during the investigation into the murder of a 14-year-old boy was not the possession of the killer but the victim, it has emerged.

UK retailers Dixons and Game both pulled the title from their stores&#39; shelves last week after the parents of the murdered boy, Stefan Pakeerah, alleged that his murderer, Warren LeBlanc, 17, was "obsessed" by the grisly game and that it had inspired has murderous actions.

The victims father dubbed Manhunt "a manual for murder".

It was widely reported by the mainstream press, online and TV media that the game had been found in LeBlanc&#39;s bedroom.

However, today it emerged that Leicestershire police found the game in Pakeerah&#39;s room, not LeBlanc&#39;s, GamesIndustry.biz reports.

"The video game was not found in Warren LeBlanc&#39;s room, it was found in Stefan Pakeerah&#39;s room," a police spokesperson said today. "Leicestershire Constabulary stands by its response that police investigations did not uncover any connections to the video game, the motive for the incident was robbery."

Police believe LeBlanc murdered Pakeerah, whom he knew, to obtain money to pay back a drug-related debt.

LeBlanc&#39;s assumed possession of Manhunt raised the questions as to how a 17-year-old was able to get hold of the game. The game carries an 18 certificate, so it is illegal to sell it to anyone under that age. Now it has emerged that the game was owned by the 14-year-old Pakeerah, that question has not gone away.

MicroScreen2
08-04-2004, 05:40 PM
:lol: :lol: hooray for irony

ahctlucabbuS
08-04-2004, 08:55 PM
Just goes to show the fallacy of simple solutions. :frusty:

Monkeee
08-04-2004, 10:42 PM
<_< people, humans are stupid <_<