PDA

View Full Version : Linux Needed Advice

SpamhandEl
07-29-2004, 10:02 AM
Could some one give me a hand, I am a Windows user; I want to make the transion to Linux. There are Programs I Found that I can't live without.
Could someone offer suggestions for Linux software that would replace?

Acid and Soundforge - Used for Multitrac audio recording.

Adobe Photoshop

Microsoft word

And I'm worried if I reformat My Windows disk, when I install Linux I may not be able to get my cable modem online. Are there suggestions for this?

And, Lastly, What version of Linux would you suggests that might be easiest to configure.
Where would I find it online?

ObiWan
07-29-2004, 06:41 PM
what make is the cable modem and how is it connected (USB?)

an alternative version of office is OpenOffice.org its free and comes with some distros

You can find iso file for most linux distros at the homepage for the distro

SpamhandEl
07-29-2004, 11:07 PM
Thanks,
THe Modem is RCA (Thomson Consumer Electronics).
and,
I'll hunt down office now.

Still any thoughts on the other software.....

SpamhandEl
07-29-2004, 11:08 PM
Oh and yes, USB..
Sorry

S!X
07-29-2004, 11:17 PM
I see your with comcast..right on :P

LSA
08-03-2004, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by SpamhandEl@29 July 2004 - 04:03
Could some one give me a hand, I am a Windows user; I want to make the transion to Linux. There are Programs I Found that I can't live without.
Could someone offer suggestions for Linux software that would replace?

Acid and Soundforge - Used for Multitrac audio recording.

Adobe Photoshop

Microsoft word

And I'm worried if I reformat My Windows disk, when I install Linux I may not be able to get my cable modem online. Are there suggestions for this?

And, Lastly, What version of Linux would you suggests that might be easiest to configure.
Where would I find it online?
gimp (http://www.gimp.org/) might work for your photoshop needs

I've really never done any sound editing, so I don't know about Acid and Soundforge, but maybe check out audacity (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/)?

If you want to keep windows, just resize your windows partition and put linux on the unallocated part of your hd, the installer should take care of most of it...depending on the distro you choose.

I hope this helps you