PDA

View Full Version : Urgent Help Needed!

exo_body
07-30-2004, 02:54 AM
hey, i really need help here. earlier i did a system restore cause my bittorrent wasnt working properly and i restored the computer to the day before i started having the problems and now everything has doubled, like all the icons, programs, even everything in the start menu and i dont know what to do!my hard drive has doubled in size and i tried system restore a few times but it wont change!

can anyone help me out here,i dont want to go through my whole hard drive and have to delete every copy of every file. has this happened anyone before?

S!X
07-30-2004, 06:35 AM
Yes, Ive had the same problem like 1000 times, Since my comp is still under warranty till 2005 i just took it back and let them fix it which was such a fuckin PAIN IN THE ASS but its the only thing i could do. ;) <_< :sadwalk:

sameer0807
07-30-2004, 06:53 AM
What OS are you running ?

I don&#39;t know if you would like this option or not, I say do a clean installation of your OS...but make sure that you burn all the important files, folders, softwares to some CD because doing a clean installation of you OS will delete everything off your Pc.

I mean it will be like factory default settings again....

Cheers &#33;

100%
07-30-2004, 10:13 AM
Sounds bad and Very strange
never happened to me

I advize avoiding system resotre at alll costs unless its really desperate & serious
restoring simply to try to fix a Bittorrent sounds a little bit over hasty (and greedy)

Ive never heard of this before and cleaning up the mess sounds pointless - do what
sammeer said.
try to look for answers on google (couldnt find anything worthwhile)

exo_body
07-30-2004, 12:09 PM
hey, thanks for the help. well the reason i did a system restore was because bittorrent stoped working one other time and when i restored it to te day before when it was working, it returned to normal.

does any one have any ideas that dont involve returning the computer or wiping the hard drive, its just its my dads computer and i really want to try and avoid that.

i checked google but i couldnt find any one with the same problem&#33;

oh and im using XP

firefox
07-30-2004, 02:39 PM
Unfortunate to say, but you will just have to start over. I have never had this happen when using system restore feature. Used it plenty of times too. Sounds a bit rash to use system restore just to get BT working. It would have been easier to just uninstall BT and then Re-install it. That would have taken care of the problem I thinks.

exo_body
07-30-2004, 03:06 PM
i did uninstall and reinstall it and it didnt work, but that has happened me a few times with BT and when i used system restore it worked fine after. im doing an online virus scan at the minute cause my uncle said it sounds like something a virus might do, so gonna see what the results for that come out like. i guess i probably will have to start over, but i just wanna make that the last option if you know what i mean. thing is, im not to sure it would be a virus, as the computer is working fine&#33;like the only problem is the fact everything has been duplicated. i guess i could go through every file in the computer and delete all the copies, but that would literally take days, so if i dont find any virus&#39;s i&#39;ll most likely just start over and try and be more careful this time

uNz[i]
07-30-2004, 03:39 PM
Why don&#39;t you try something like this (http://noclone.net/) or this (http://freeware.intrastar.net/uninstal.htm)? ;)

exo_body
07-30-2004, 03:51 PM
yeah i thought about that aswell, its a good idea, but would it work for all the files?like everything has been duplicated here

uNz[i]
07-30-2004, 04:03 PM
Well, to start with, just try cleaning up one folder that hasn&#39;t got any important files, so you don&#39;t kill your dad&#39;s system if things don&#39;t go how you expected.

You&#39;ve got nothing to lose but a bunch of redundant files, huh? :)

Edit: Additional

firefox
07-30-2004, 04:06 PM
Sounds to me like a lot of work trying to find all those files. I would probably be able to redo the computer from scratch a lot quicker.

exo_body
07-30-2004, 04:12 PM
yeah it might be quicker to redo the whole computer, but i will try out them programs to see if they work ok and are able to identify the correct files and programs later tonight when this online scan is finished. its been going for quite a while now, still aint done though. its the symantec one, anyone know any good online virus scanners i could use?

thanks for all your help by the way people, i really appreciate it

uNz[i]
07-30-2004, 04:22 PM
This may be worth a try... Do the duplicate files/folders have (1) added to the filename?
If so, just go to start menu>search, and try searching for *(1)* in all files and folders.

That should bring all the duplicate files up, then you can just select a bunch at a time and delete &#39;em.

See Rossco&#39;s pinned tweaking and security guide for some online AV scanners.

exo_body
07-30-2004, 04:40 PM
you are a genius...lol, every file has (2) on it, so did the search there now and it found 8455 files&#33;lol, do you think i should chance it and delete them all?

tesco
07-30-2004, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by exo_body@30 July 2004 - 11:41
you are a genius...lol, every file has (2) on it, so did the search there now and it found 8455 files&#33;lol, do you think i should chance it and delete them all?
delete a few and see what happens. ;)

BawA
07-30-2004, 04:53 PM
this system restore thing never worked for me, it always miss up everything.
use norton ghost for backing up,

uNz[i]
07-30-2004, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by exo_body@31 July 2004 - 02:11
Glad I could make myself useful. :)
But a genius? Nahhh... anybody would&#39;ve thought of it sooner or later. :lol:

Yeah.. I agree with what Rossco said. Trash a few and see how it goes. Just don&#39;t delete all the dupes at once, it&#39;ll probably crash the PC.
And tread very lightly if you&#39;re going to delete duplicate files in any of the Windows folders. :ph34r:

Edit: Oh, and if you manage get rid of most or all the duplicates, I strongly suggest you run a defragger asap. :lol:

atiVidia
07-30-2004, 06:32 PM
u realize u can undo system restores right? :blink:

exo_body
07-30-2004, 06:50 PM
lol,i thought to frig with it and i deleted the 8 thousand and what ever others were there and so far.....everythings fine&#33; :D but i havnt turned the pc off and booted up again yet, so that might hold a few surprises i dunno. my uncle seems convinced that i have a virus, but cant find it. i know a while ago i had a trojan, but deleted it (Kaspersky found it) but dunno if that has anything to do with it. im more curious now about why it actually happened. the weird thing is, is that it didnt duplicate folders, jus what was inside, if you know what i mean. like there was only one "EA Sports" folder in"programs" but the contents within it were duplicated. yet it didnt create doubles of any word doc&#39;s. any one have any ideas what might have happened??

and atiVidia, i tried to restore it back but the copied files were still all there