PDA

View Full Version : History, Politics Or Social Science

Chame1eon
07-30-2004, 11:19 PM
Can anyone reccomend some good, objective books on these subjects. Most of what i see in the bookstore looks biased to me. I'm interested in most major countries.

Darth Sushi
07-31-2004, 12:44 AM
That's loaded question! Personally, I find politics and history to be inheritably biased, come what may. My only solace is to read the different perspectives before labelling the author's predilections. One man's victory is another man's massacre.

Chame1eon
07-31-2004, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by Darth Sushi@30 July 2004 - 20:45
That's loaded question! Personally, I find politics and history to be inheritably biased, come what may. My only solace is to read the different perspectives before labelling the author's predilections. One man's victory is another man's massacre.
well ok, maybe that was kind of naive, but there must be some peope that just want to try to write an accurate book.
aren't there :unsure:

MagicNakor
07-31-2004, 08:31 AM
Especially concerning history, and to use an oft-coined term, it's written (or rewritten) by the victors. You won't find too many accounts of say, the Aztec's side of the Spaniard invasion.

Furthermore, the subjects you want are so very broad, it'd be impossible for me to even come up with a short list. If you're looking into history, it's good to pinpoint an area you want to look into. I could give you "The Lives of Women in the Middle Ages," but it may not be remotely what you're asking for. ;)

:ninja:

TheNobleEU
07-31-2004, 10:58 PM
It shouldn't be too difficult for us to recommend works of professional (academic) history or social science in an area you're interested in -- historians (usually) pride themselves on historical method providing as objective an overview as possible, if by only considering all viewpoints available. :)

'Politics' is a stickier topic, as political writings argue, as Darth Sushi said, a particular viewpoint -- they aren't usually in the business of providing an 'historical' overview of an issue. Here again you'd have to give us an idea of what topics you were interested in.

Cheers,
-EU

Chame1eon
08-01-2004, 08:38 PM
indians are cool