PDA

View Full Version : Networking Question

thatsomekid
07-31-2004, 08:36 AM
HI i just bought a new computer that has a windows xp home edtion OS. I wanted to hook it up with another comp i have with windwos 98 se OS using a router. I tried to use the networking wizard but it doesn't seem to work it says i have to manually config this. Is this hard to do? Does anyone have any info on this? I just want to be able to share a printer on these two desk tops and also share files. Any help would be great thanks.

thatsomekid
07-31-2004, 08:43 AM
I should also add it seems the computer is showing up under my network places on my comp with the windows xp home but when i lick on the other comp which i named B an error message reads "Sharedocs is not acessible. YOu might not have permision to use this network resource. Contact the admin of this server to see if you have acess. What am i doing worng here i have all the files being shared on the other computer? Please i hope some one will know the answer to this one

Snee
07-31-2004, 01:45 PM
Why would you lick on the other 'puter? :blink:

When you run the wizard theres the option to make a disk, do that, and run the disk on your windows 98 'puter while the other one is connected.

tesco
07-31-2004, 01:46 PM
I tnink there is a bug with the permissions that the windows 98 machine's username and password have to iether be the ones u are using on the xp machine or create a second user on teh xp machine with that useranme and password.

why won't the network wizard work though? :blink:

thatsomekid
08-01-2004, 01:16 AM
thanks i have got the other comp on the system i think the problem is i need to config this one with the windows xp manually because the wizard will not work that is what it's telling me to do......... Anyone know how i would go about doing this?

MicroScreen2
08-01-2004, 01:23 AM
windows 98 is rubbish. the network will only decide to work when windows feels like it. wehn you start up dont even hint that you want to use a network after about 15 minutes try to connect to your other pc.

i dont know how or why this works but iit did for us

thatsomekid
08-01-2004, 03:21 AM
I had to map the drives that's what i ad to do...
:D :D :D :D :D it got it!!!