PDA

View Full Version : Virtual Memory

anxies
07-31-2004, 07:22 PM
Hi i am on bit torrent abc and aol and have had a low virtual memory warning however i have lots of memory on my system what can i do to change this i'm not sure whether i'm in the right section for this but need some help as whenever i put on kazaa lite with aol or bittorrent my system slows right down and i cannot browse and when i go to turn off bit torrent it wont let me and this is the same with my aol and main computer i have to turn off at the box. please someone tell me what i can do???? :frusty: :( :helpsmile:

haha21
07-31-2004, 07:23 PM
Ram type?
How much ram?

anxies
07-31-2004, 08:02 PM
Avent 300 series
AMD Athlon™ XP 2600+
2.08 Ghz
512MB RAM

this is the specs of my comp i have to admit to being a bit of a noob though not very good with all the tech stuff be gentle lol.

manker
07-31-2004, 09:08 PM
Your specs indicate that your system should easily be able to cope with running ABC and the AOL soft. Something must be wrong.

Have you checked for spyware recently? This is the type of thing that can happen if your machine is ridden with spyware, download Spysweeper (http://www.webroot.com/wb/products/spysweeper/index.php) or adaware (http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/) and do a full scan of your system to make sure there aren't gremlins eating up your RAM. Once completed tun an online virus scan at trendmicro (http://housecall.trendmicro.com/) as a precaution.

Once you've done all that I reckon your computer should speed up some.

Storm
07-31-2004, 09:35 PM
VIRTUAL memory isnt the same as internal memory (your RAM)

virtual memory is space windows reserves on you HDD to store files temporarily

now even though the virtual memory has no real use if you have 512MB RAM, windows and windows programs tend to go crazy without it (especially m&#036; stuff <_< )

@ anxies:
(loged in as an admin)
hit windows+pauze button
goto advanced tab
goto advanced tab

at the bottom it says virtual memory

how much is that???

anxies
07-31-2004, 10:33 PM
right then first things first have already used adaware and spyware not a issue have deleted cache files and cookies then run your virus scan and nothing but something aint right???

and to the other one if you dont mind can you tell me where the pause button is on my keyboard/system?

anxies
07-31-2004, 10:41 PM
right then storm here are my virtual memory settings

TOTAL PAGING FILE SIZE 4 ALL DRIVES

MIN ALLOWED 2MB
RECOMMENDED 766MB
CURRENTLY ALLOCATED 767MB

Thanks for any help :D

keyser_soze
07-31-2004, 11:25 PM
Try in properies of my computer under system performance or summat u can change the swap file there, if you let windows run it then after getting warnings like this it should adjust itself but if not u can manually set it, I think the setting it 1.5 or 2.5 times the ram (probably wrong :) ) and most tips reccomend setting the min and max settings as the same, this keeps the page file as 1 cluster on the disc and stops it fragmenting as fast.

Storm
07-31-2004, 11:28 PM
well first of all set the paging file to one amount

same minimum as maximum........ try 768 MB (1.5 times your RAM)

then defrag (start->all programs->accessories->system tools) all hard drives

if your still getting low virtual mem errors, check your taskmanager (ctrl+alt+del, process tab) to see what is using how much memory.....

especially check the programs running under your name, but you didnt initiate

keyser_soze
08-01-2004, 12:31 AM
Thats what I meant :P ;)

Shiranai_Baka
08-01-2004, 03:22 AM
Some BT programs have memory leakage also, checked for that?

Storm
08-01-2004, 04:41 AM
Originally posted by keyser_soze@1 August 2004 - 01:32
Thats what I meant :P ;)
sorry, guess you beat me to it ;)

anxies
08-01-2004, 06:56 AM
how do you check for leakage then?

Also have just defragmented my system afraid it still acting up though lets me turn off abc but browser still slow and still says aol not responding when i try and turn off.
did the ctrl-alt-del and the most usage of my system says aol taking up over 40,000k on my memory and another i cant remember what it does called svchost.exe which is a system file and takes up 19,000k
thanks all for the great help.

Storm
08-01-2004, 11:52 AM
scvhost is a bundle of system services

you can tune how much memory it uses by turning of services that arent needed (http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/service411.htm)

now i dont know what that aol prog is exactly, but it sounds like something aol made, hogging that much RAM, those fuckers screwed up ICQ in the same way :&#39;( (yes, im still traumatized by that)

Chewie
08-01-2004, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by Storm@1 August 2004 - 11:53
...now i dont know what that aol prog is exactly, but it sounds like something aol made...
It&#39;s the program that connects customers to their internet service.

manker
08-01-2004, 09:40 PM
Another idea is not to use your AOL soft, there is no need to use the AOL software to connect to the internet if you don&#39;t want to.

If you choose to bypass it then open the control panel of your modem software, click connect and enter in your AOL username and password to the dialogue box which pops up and click enter.

At least it will solve it hogging your resources. If you do this and need to get your AOL email then go to their website and log in, there is a webmail service too.

Chewie
08-01-2004, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by manker@1 August 2004 - 21:41
Another idea is not to use your AOL soft, there is no need to use the AOL software to connect to the internet if you don&#39;t want to.

If you choose to bypass it then open the control panel of your modem software, click connect and enter in your AOL username and password to the dialogue box which pops up and click enter.

At least it will solve it hogging your resources. If you do this and need to get your AOL email then go to their website and log in, there is a webmail service too.
You can&#39;t normally do that with AOL although they were apparently considering a change of policy with an update to v9.0. Has the change now been made?

manker
08-01-2004, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by Chewie UK+2 August 2004 - 00:35--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Chewie UK &#064; 2 August 2004 - 00:35)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-manker@1 August 2004 - 21:41

You can&#39;t normally do that with AOL although they were apparently considering a change of policy with an update to v9.0. Has the change now been made? [/b][/quote]
I read it on a forum almost a year ago so as far as I&#39;m aware it&#39;s always been possible. Certainly my neices were using AOL 7 with a BT voyager 100 modem on an old PC, I showed them how to do it so they had one less application running and it worked fine.

If you&#39;re bypassing the Soft why would it matter what version you had?

Edit: btw your custom title is out of date by 5 posts ;)

Storm
08-02-2004, 02:40 AM
Originally posted by Chewie UK+1 August 2004 - 21:17--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Chewie UK @ 1 August 2004 - 21:17)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Storm@1 August 2004 - 11:53
...now i dont know what that aol prog is exactly, but it sounds like something aol made...
It&#39;s the program that connects customers to their internet service. [/b][/quote]
40 MB????? what the hell does that program do???? is it an AV/PF/Browser/IM/media player/P2P app in one???? thats a whole lot of resources&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

shn
08-02-2004, 03:57 AM
Originally posted by manker+1 August 2004 - 17:41--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (manker @ 1 August 2004 - 17:41)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Chewie UK@2 August 2004 - 00:35
<!--QuoteBegin-manker@1 August 2004 - 21:41

You can&#39;t normally do that with AOL although they were apparently considering a change of policy with an update to v9.0. Has the change now been made?
I read it on a forum almost a year ago so as far as I&#39;m aware it&#39;s always been possible. Certainly my neices were using AOL 7 with a BT voyager 100 modem on an old PC, I showed them how to do it so they had one less application running and it worked fine.

Edit: btw your custom title is out of date by 5 posts ;) [/b][/quote]
It&#39;s never been possible until the recent beta that they came out with. The closest you could get before was to use PENG software on Linux or try and connect with a slip connection and with the slip you could only get like 33k and it failed to resolve host names uisng that type.

If you say you were doing it on anything before the 9 or 10 beta then you are fabricating or apparently confused. because it&#39;s simply not been possible.

BawA
08-02-2004, 05:52 AM
Have u installed SerivePack 1 For winXp, i had same problem till i installed Sp1

manker
08-02-2004, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by shn+2 August 2004 - 04:58--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (shn @ 2 August 2004 - 04:58)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by manker@1 August 2004 - 17:41

Originally posted by Chewie UK@2 August 2004 - 00:35
<!--QuoteBegin-manker@1 August 2004 - 21:41

Edit: btw your custom title is out of date by 5 posts ;)
It&#39;s never been possible until the recent beta that they came out with. The closest you could get before was to use PENG software on Linux or try and connect with a slip connection and with the slip you could only get like 33k and it failed to resolve host names uisng that type.

If you say you were doing it on anything before the 9 or 10 beta then you are fabricating or apparently confused. because it&#39;s simply not been possible. [/b][/quote]
Shn. I don&#39;t fabricate and if I&#39;m confused I tend not to post about the subject at all. It&#39;s common sense, call it a gift if you like.

Here is a Source (http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,10034258~mode=flat) to prove you wrong, again. Note he is using AOL 8 -- it took me all of 5 seconds to google.

Try a bit of research before calling someone a liar.