PDA

View Full Version : Motherboards

basics
03-22-2003, 11:23 PM
just got a pc n think i may have been skanked on ma mother board they offered me a gigabyte GA-8SR533 but have sent me a jetway/motherboard P4XFBU i dont yet know the diffrences that would happen if i have but i do know i cant finf this particular 1 for sale in any adverts!

is it an easy job to replace your m/b should i upgrade? i got a p4 2.0 40g ge force mx440

Supernatural
03-24-2003, 04:56 AM
You're going to have to do the research yourself and see if it's worth getting upset over.

Yomanda_66
03-29-2003, 01:12 PM
Tell them you want the motherboard you were supposed to get and get it back to them right away. They should supply you with what they said they would. The Motherboard is an important part of a PC. it sounds like they have given you a budget(cheap) motherboard.

Spindulik
03-30-2003, 05:00 AM
Yeah man! Get the Gygabyte. That is what I have. I use a Pentium4 2.0gHz. w/533mhz and DDR memory. Onboard audio is superior.

Nobody1234
03-30-2003, 05:16 AM
I have heard about a lot of motherboards but I have never heard of Jetway.

If it was specified that you would get a Gigabyte board that's what you should get.
Go back to the place you bought it from and have them replace it.

Just think about it. Try to get online support or a BIOS update later on. What a nightmare. :angry:

basics
03-30-2003, 12:08 PM
hmm so the general outcome is..............???

ive had the pc for about 4/5 weeks now and it seems like an awful lot of hassle to send the whole tower back and be without computer for???

suggestions gratefully recd!

south-paw
03-30-2003, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by basics@30 March 2003 - 13:08
hmm so the general outcome is..............???

ive had the pc for about 4/5 weeks now and it seems like an awful lot of hassle to send the whole tower back and be without computer for???

suggestions gratefully recd!
As Nobody said,Just think about it.Updating your bios could prove to be a tough task in the future.If its a major hassle sending the tower back, well that's up to you, isn't it? Personally if I'd found the component received wasn't what I'd ordered, I'd be giving the retailer major hassle in person! :D You should be compensated for the inconvenience of getting yur mobo replaced with the correct one.

basics
03-30-2003, 06:03 PM
YEAH BUT WONT THEY ALSO BE ABLE TO SEE WHAT IVE BEEN DOWNLOADING? IF U GET ME

south-paw
03-30-2003, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by basics@30 March 2003 - 19:03
YEAH BUT WONT THEY ALSO BE ABLE TO SEE WHAT IVE BEEN DOWNLOADING? IF U GET ME
Oh...back it all up if you havent already...you know backing files up onto cdr makes sense! :D

basics
03-30-2003, 06:16 PM
that aint gonna wipe ma hard drive though is it??

Spindulik
03-30-2003, 06:17 PM
I thought you just got the PC, 4-5 weeks means you are skanked. Just use what you have, if it is not a problem. If it were up to me, I'd buy just the Gigabyte motherboard at a discount computer show. Replace the other one with it and use it as a backup board.

In the mean time, contact the vendor and see if there is a way to get what you want. As a matter of fact, 4-5 weeks means nothing, if they sold you the PC under false pretense. How often does the average person open up a PC and see what is actually in it, once every 4-5 weeks??

Damn, get on the phone and tell them to ship you what you paid for w/free shipping, then you will return the crappy PC that you have, in the same box. If they give you hassle, tell them you will be forced to notify the BBB (if you are in the USA), or anything equilivant to that.

Good Luck!

basics
03-30-2003, 06:31 PM
cheers mate thanks for that but back to my original question......is it easy to replace/upgrade my motherboard?
i understand my rights as a consumer but what im saying is does the motherboard they supplied me have many disadvantages or to put it another way is it worth the hassle changing it when i could probably get some form of credit off them , rather than pissing about sending it back to them for the sake of pence/cents!

Spindulik
03-30-2003, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by basics@30 March 2003 - 19:31
cheers mate thanks for that but back to my original question......is it easy to replace/upgrade my motherboard?
i understand my rights as a consumer but what im saying is does the motherboard they supplied me have many disadvantages or to put it another way is it worth the hassle changing it when i could probably get some form of credit off them , rather than pissing about sending it back to them for the sake of pence/cents!
In that case it IS EASY to replace the motherboard. It just takes careful time.

If you never did it before, just remember how your ribbon cables and wires are connected. Read the book that comes with the new motherboard.

I bought only one PC in my entire life. The rest, I have built from parts. I have built probably a total of 20 computers systems for me or (mostly) other people.

MERLIN
03-30-2003, 11:07 PM
I`ve got a jetway board Model name V333U, VIA KT333 chipset, 5pci, 1 agp, 1cnr, 3ddr, usb2 with an AMDxp2100 and 512ddr. they are a budget board mine was less than £80 but seems to work ok. I think it is from CHINA!!! :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

MERLIN
03-30-2003, 11:08 PM
i was goona get the board you got think it was only £36!!!! :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

Spindulik
03-31-2003, 03:32 AM
Originally posted by MERLIN@31 March 2003 - 00:08
i was goona get the board you got think it was only £36!!!! :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:
Do you mean Gigabyte? I have built most of the computers with Gigabyte, because the price is good and they are reliable. They also have a good driver support website.

The only other board that I got that I was impressed with was a real Intel Motherboard with an Intel CPU. I figured the two would be a perfect match. I was right! It is my kid's computer.

I bought the Intel motherboard from eBay for $36.00, and $5.00 for shipping. Brand new in the box. I saved over $60.00 at the time.

basics
03-31-2003, 10:40 PM
yeah it says jetway on the invoice but on the instructions it just says motherboard!

by the way canr be arszed doin owt about it, might try n upgrade sound card n stuff.

anybody advise on any upgrades to ma motherboard?

Schmiggy_JK23
04-01-2003, 05:22 AM
jetway sounds like shit to me.

gigabyte is a great board, but you shoulda gotta a amd processor anyhow, :P

so then you could get a dual channel ddr asus nforce2 mobo! woot!

but, ya, get the gigabyte, bitch and moan till they send you your shit, tell them u want the right thing sent, and that u will send urs back. when it comes, just switch ur hard drives. then you dont have to worry aobut losing anything.