PDA

View Full Version : What's The Best Way To Cool The System

mikenmike0001
08-04-2004, 07:35 AM
hey, i never understood the difference between the "stand by" , "hibernate" and "suspend" modes for the types of turning off the computer? my last motherboard fried on me cuz i downloaded too much overnight i guess and it kept heating up..

so if i choose the modes like stand by or hiberate, will that help? can i still download while they are in those modes?

SingaBoiy
08-04-2004, 07:50 AM
Correct me if I am wrong but I dont think you can transfer data in those modes. Try these things

Opening up the case to get rid of some heat.

Get some ties to keep the cable on the inside together to allow better airflor.

Adjust you fans for better airflow. Buy more if neccasary.

Get a new heatsink/fan for your cpu. I know that little harddrive fans work great it your harddrive is too hot.

You could also try getting a 60mm-80mm fan adaptor for your cpu.

Replace the fan in your PSU.

Cheese
08-04-2004, 07:58 AM
This is what I use:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4216.html

It brings down the temps by 5C, but will only work with certain processors.

clocker
08-04-2004, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by mikenmike0001@4 August 2004 - 01:36
my last motherboard fried on me cuz i downloaded too much overnight i guess and it kept heating up..

It shouldn't matter to your board when it's working...if it can handle downloading during the day then it can do it at night, too.
Furthermore, apps like K-Lite or bittorrent aren't particularly CPU intensive, so your machine isn't working terribly hard while they are running.

Most boards have some form of thermal protection so they can't commit heat related seppuku anyway.

I think you have issues not related to downloading to deal with.

Wolfmight
08-04-2004, 02:54 PM
Try getting a Smart Case Fan (http://www.newegg.com/app/SearchProductResult.asp?Submit=Go&DEPA=0) which automaticly adjusts it's speed to the temprature. Mine runs much faster when my fan is off and slower when the room temp is pretty cold from the Fan and A/C. My bro turned the A/C down to 50 C (FREAKIN FREEZIN IN HERE!) and prob ran the bill up, but I also took a look at the fan speeds just for the heck of it and the case fan was going even slower with a lower case temp! LoLz.

btw, our A/C unit goes down to around 25-30 C! I could catch an artificial cold of somewhat.

mikenmike0001
08-04-2004, 04:08 PM
oh how interesting.......well....for those programs do they have to be only for a certain motherboard? that last one was for an athlon

i have a 2.8 pentium 4 board.......with 5 fans installed as part of the chasis now......haha.......

but yeah, i'm always maxing out my ram (512mb) with like 10-15 shadow bittornado client windows in the taskbar menu......

mikenmike0001
08-04-2004, 04:15 PM
and i still don't know exactly what stand-by and hibernate modes really do, and while you're in those modes, what your computer can or can't do......

..i looked under the power settings in the desktop and i already set it to turn off hd after 30 minutes and all that.......

MicroScreen2
08-04-2004, 04:21 PM
i think its more likely there was another reason other than prolonged use that killed your last board

Shiranai_Baka
08-04-2004, 04:37 PM
I'd like to know how these modes work too.. btw, you guys always suggest people BUY something ya know? we all don't have money =\

SingaBoiy
08-04-2004, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Shiranai_Baka@4 August 2004 - 07:38
I'd like to know how these modes work too.. btw, you guys always suggest people BUY something ya know? we all don't have money =\
Cause buying stuff is usually the best solution. I know :lol:

lynx
08-04-2004, 04:44 PM
Sleep States

S1 - "Stopgrant"
Power to cpu is maintained, but no instructions are executed. The CPU halts itself and may shut down many of its internal components. In Microsoft Windows, the "Standby" command is associated with this state by default.

S2
While defined in the spec, this state is not currently in use. It resembles S3 with the qualification that some devices are permitted to remain on.

S3 - "Suspend to RAM"
All power to the cpu is shut off, and the contents of its registers are flushed to RAM, which remains on. In Microsoft Windows, the "Standby" command can be associated with this state if enabled in the BIOS. Because it requires a high degree of coordination between the cpu, chipset, devices, OS, BIOS, and OS device drivers, this system state is the most prone to errors and instability.

S4 - "Suspend to Disk"
CPU power shut off as in S3, but RAM is written to disk and shut off as well. In Microsoft Windows, the "Hibernate" command is associated with this state. A variation called S4BIOS is most prevalent, where the system image is stored and loaded by the BIOS instead of the OS. Because the contents of RAM are written out to disk, system context is maintained. For example, unsaved files would not be lost following an S4 transition.

S5 - "Soft Off"
System is shut down, however some power may be supplied to certain devices to generate a wake event, for example to support automatic startup from a LAN or USB device. In Microsoft Windows, the "Shut down" command is associated with this state. Mechanical power can usually be removed or restored with no ill effects.

Note, in all cases the system is shut down to some extent, so it can do no useful work. Depending on settings entry into or recovery from these sleep states can be automatic or manual, but in the case of downloads it is unlikely that the system would be sufficiently idle to ever enter one of these modes. However, it is possible to shut off the monitor, and possibly some disk drives (if you have more than one) to reduce power consumption, and the prog indicated by Withcheese would reduce power usage at other times.

abu_has_the_power
08-04-2004, 04:47 PM
advice that doesn't need for u to empty ur wallet:
open a window, open the side case of ur pc. and put the comp close to the open window. as long as ur cpu fan's still running, and ur not ocing beyond wat the hsf can handle, u should have no probs. even if it's hot, there's still a breeze

lynx
08-04-2004, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by abu_has_the_power@4 August 2004 - 17:48
advice that doesn't need for u to empty ur wallet:
open a window, open the side case of ur pc. and put the comp close to the open window. as long as ur cpu fan's still running, and ur not ocing beyond wat the hsf can handle, u should have no probs. even if it's hot, there's still a breeze
Don't do this if you are on the ground floor, or you may find you no longer have to worry about your pc temps, just worry about who's got your pc. :P

MicroScreen2
08-04-2004, 04:56 PM
or just stfu worrying. think about it which puts more strain on your pc? a second of intense gaming or a second downloading?

Storm
08-04-2004, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by lynx+4 August 2004 - 17:53--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (lynx @ 4 August 2004 - 17:53)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-abu_has_the_power@4 August 2004 - 17:48
advice that doesn&#39;t need for u to empty ur wallet:
open a window, open the side case of ur pc. and put the comp close to the open window. as long as ur cpu fan&#39;s still running, and ur not ocing beyond wat the hsf can handle, u should have no probs. even if it&#39;s hot, there&#39;s still a breeze
Don&#39;t do this if you are on the ground floor, or you may find you no longer have to worry about your pc temps, just worry about who&#39;s got your pc. :P [/b][/quote]
and make sure it doesnt rain.......

clocker
08-04-2004, 05:48 PM
Birds and squirrels will appreciate the shelter too.
Be sure to leave a bowl of water in your case for their comfort.

lynx
08-04-2004, 06:49 PM
Won&#39;t the squirrels be hibernating?

mikenmike0001
08-04-2004, 10:24 PM
hahah okay thanks people.. :lol:

abu_has_the_power
08-05-2004, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by clocker@4 August 2004 - 12:49
Birds and squirrels will appreciate the shelter too.
Be sure to leave a bowl of water in your case for their comfort.
ha. nice one. i&#39;m not laughing sarcastically btw. ;) :lol: