PDA

View Full Version : Overclocking Problems

(>Zero Cool<)
08-05-2004, 11:22 AM
:( :unsure:

can anyone help me out here please. :helpsmile:

I read peerzyboy&#39;s guide, readf up on my mobo, checked my ram was compatible and read some examples of oc&#39;n figures.

I decided I was ready to give it a try

My specs are as follows

P4 2.6 cpu northwood ht stock intel cooling
thermaltake xaser III case with all the seven fans running full tilt, and the side off at the mo
abit ic7 max 3 mobo
1 Gb corsair pc 4000 ram
radeon 9600 pro gfx 400/300 @ 537/304 (this is the only current oc, did it yesterday)

temps at the mo

case 30 degrees celcius, cpu 39/40ish, pwn (whatever that is) 33, gfx 36

I bumped up my fsb through bios in small increments and booted up and ran an aquamark benchmark, unfortunately I only got to 217 mhz from a start of 200 before things started going wrong (not booting, screen problems sound probllems etc) I expected to be able to go a fair bit higher than this.

So can anyone suggest what I should be doing, or where I am going wrong please. :huh:

Thanks

zero :)

Livy
08-05-2004, 11:31 AM
you could try upping the vcore if you have the option, or changing the multiplier down so you can have the fsb to match the ram

(>Zero Cool<)
08-05-2004, 11:40 AM
hi livy thanks for the feedback, :)

I thought that as it is a p4 chip I can&#39;t change the multiplier, am I wrong?

Would upping the vcore cause any problems?

How would I be able to set it to match the ram?

I am a total noob at this, although I have read the guides I am not too sure of the in&#39;s and out&#39;s.

srry for the barrage of uestions :unsure:

Storm
08-05-2004, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by (>Zero Cool<)@5 August 2004 - 12:41
I thought that as it is a p4 chip I can&#39;t change the multiplier, am I wrong?

your right

the increased vcore would also increase the heatproduction.......

the RAM would be matched if you set the FSB to 250 (=pc 500 RAM)

Livy
08-05-2004, 11:46 AM
upping the vcroe will supply a little more volyage to the chip to give ti a little boost, doesnt really hurt it, but your temps will rise.

the theory about matchign your ram was set the fsb to whatever pc4000 runs at and if you coudl change the multiplier chnage it so the chip is still aorund 2.6ghz,

dont really know though,

(>Zero Cool<)
08-05-2004, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Storm+5 August 2004 - 11:45--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Storm &#064; 5 August 2004 - 11:45)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-(>Zero Cool<)@5 August 2004 - 12:41

your right

the increased vcore would also increase the heatproduction.......

the RAM would be matched if you set the FSB to 250 (=pc 500 RAM) [/b][/quote]
thans storm for the help :)

would upping the vcore help things?

I can only get my fsb to 217 at the mo so I am guessing 250 will be impossible :unsure:

edit just saw livys post before clicking this, so my answers are there, thanks

ps found this which may be of interest for comparison testing for others

searchable db of oc&#39;n stats (http://www.vr-zone.com/ocdb/)

ck-uk
08-05-2004, 11:51 AM
zero cool...hey

you should lower the mulpitler first before higher ,fsb..

some info....you may have a prob with you g/fx,mate..

http://www.extremeoverclocking.com/reviews...IC7_MAX3_7.html (http://www.extremeoverclocking.com/reviews/motherboards/ABIT_IC7_MAX3_7.html)

(>Zero Cool<)
08-05-2004, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by ck&#045;uk@5 August 2004 - 11:52
zero cool...hey

http://www.extremeoverclocking.com/reviews...IC7_MAX3_7.html (http://www.extremeoverclocking.com/reviews/motherboards/ABIT_IC7_MAX3_7.html)
hiya ck from the uk ;) how you doing?

as I said above to the best of my knowledge the multipliers are locked on p4 chips :(

I saw that review thanks, I think it span out at 300mhz, I would be happy with way less than that mate :)

this fella (http://www.vr-zone.com/ocdb/data.php?id=13&intel_or_amd=intel)hit 245 with a fairly similar setup, I have faster ram though.

ok also got this pic, not sure about the ram Mhz, are they correct?

Image Resized
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/zeropics/wpcuid.jpg' width='200' height='120' border='0' alt='click for full size view'> ('http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/zeropics/wpcuid.jpg')

ck-uk
08-05-2004, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by (>Zero Cool<)+5 August 2004 - 12:55--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE ((>Zero Cool<) @ 5 August 2004 - 12:55)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ck&#045;uk@5 August 2004 - 11:52
zero cool...hey

as I said above to the best of my knowledge the multipliers are locked on p4 chips :(

I saw that review thanks, I think it span out at 300mhz, I would be happy with way less than that mate :)

this fella (http://www.vr-zone.com/ocdb/data.php?id=13&intel_or_amd=intel)hit 245 with a fairly similar setup, I have faster ram though. [/b][/quote]
i&#39;m great..erm abu maybe :unsure:

cu

(>Zero Cool<)
08-05-2004, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by ck&#045;uk+5 August 2004 - 12:17--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ck-uk @ 5 August 2004 - 12:17)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by (>Zero Cool<)@5 August 2004 - 12:55
<!--QuoteBegin-ck&#045;uk@5 August 2004 - 11:52
zero cool...hey

this fella (http://www.vr-zone.com/ocdb/data.php?id=13&intel_or_amd=intel)hit 245 with a fairly similar setup, I have faster ram though.
i&#39;m great..erm abu maybe :unsure:

cu [/b][/quote]
as in has the power? :unsure:

(>Zero Cool<)
08-05-2004, 12:38 PM
also found this which is a good read oc guide (http://www.vr-zone.com.sg/?i=31) :)

clocker
08-05-2004, 12:42 PM
You might also look around in here. (http://www.ocforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)

(>Zero Cool<)
08-05-2004, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by clocker@5 August 2004 - 12:43
You might also look around in here. (http://www.ocforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
thanks clocker izzard:) , should I expect to see mention of you in there? :huh:

clocker
08-05-2004, 12:52 PM
Not in that section...I have AMD.

(>Zero Cool<)
08-05-2004, 10:20 PM
ok Ihave hit a brick wall at fsb set at 237 vcore 1.550, giving me a Mhz of a p4 3.0 (3056 Mhz), which is a good jump for a p4 2.6, but I have to say I expected a little higher :unsure: would I be correct in that assumption?

any other suggestions?

Also I was wondering if I should look into buying a better heatsink/fan, currently I am running with the standard intel one that came with the chip?

Also also :rolleyes: although I have set my vcore to 1.55 in bios in cpuz and mbm it is slightly lower, this was also the case when I tried setting the vcore to 1.575.

:unsure:

perhaps I should change my user name to zero clue :blink:

abu_has_the_power
08-05-2004, 11:37 PM
don&#39;t up vcore unless u have no choice, especially cuz u have a stock hsf. becuz of the good cooling ur case has, up the vdimm and change the ram speeds to 320. mines at 1.65V running 320mhz. my vcore is in auto, and it doesn&#39;t go higher than 1.6V. usually it&#39;s 1.58V ish. don&#39;t oc ur ram yet. keep default timings. make sure ur cpu is working b4 u oc ur ram. ur ram should prob take more ocing than ur cpu. don&#39;t up the vcore unless u have to. up the vdimm. change the ram speed to 320 instead of 400. then u should do fine for a small increment. becuz u have stock hsf, u won&#39;t get far.
heres my settings for my 2.4c oced to 3.2:
vcore: <1.6V
ram: 320
vdimm: 1.65V
cpu clock: 266
*er: 12X
u might not get this much cuz of ur stock hsf though. good luck&#33;

(>Zero Cool<)
08-05-2004, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by abu_has_the_power@5 August 2004 - 23:38
don&#39;t up vcore unless u have no choice, especially cuz u have a stock hsf. becuz of the good cooling ur case has, up the vdimm and change the ram speeds to 320. mines at 1.65V running 320mhz. my vcore is in auto, and it doesn&#39;t go higher than 1.6V. usually it&#39;s 1.58V ish. don&#39;t oc ur ram yet. keep default timings. make sure ur cpu is working b4 u oc ur ram. ur ram should prob take more ocing than ur cpu. don&#39;t up the vcore unless u have to. up the vdimm. change the ram speed to 320 instead of 400. then u should do fine for a small increment. becuz u have stock hsf, u won&#39;t get far.
thanks very much for your help abu ;)

I had a look around and apparently the 2.6 hits the wall at 3.25 in all but a few cases, still that would do me just fine :)

I didn&#39;t realise messing with the ram would help, what does the vdimm do to assist my oc? :unsure:

srry each answer I get seems to be followed with another question from me :huh:

abu_has_the_power
08-05-2004, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by (>Zero Cool<)+5 August 2004 - 18:46--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE ((>Zero Cool<) @ 5 August 2004 - 18:46)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-abu_has_the_power@5 August 2004 - 23:38

I had a look around and apparently the 2.6 hits the wall at 3.25 in all but a few cases, still that would do me just fine :)

I didn&#39;t realise messing with the ram would help, what does the vdimm do to assist my oc? :unsure:

srry each answer I get seems to be followed with another question from me :huh: [/b][/quote]
ur cpu clock and ur ram clock are in ratio. ram at 400 is 1:1. 320 is some other ratio (forgot the number). in order to increase cpu speed, u&#39;ll need to decrease ram speed. ram speed decrease won&#39;t affect ur cpu performance taht much, but it&#39;s a sacrifice u need to make in order to oc ur cpu higher. if u keep it at 1:1 (400), u won&#39;t get far with ocing

(>Zero Cool<)
08-06-2004, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by abu_has_the_power+5 August 2004 - 23:54--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (abu_has_the_power @ 5 August 2004 - 23:54)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by (>Zero Cool<)@5 August 2004 - 18:46
<!--QuoteBegin-abu_has_the_power@5 August 2004 - 23:38

srry each answer I get seems to be followed with another question from me :huh:
ur cpu clock and ur ram clock are in ratio. ram at 400 is 1:1. 320 is some other ratio (forgot the number). in order to increase cpu speed, u&#39;ll need to decrease ram speed. ram speed decrease won&#39;t affect ur cpu performance taht much, but it&#39;s a sacrifice u need to make in order to oc ur cpu higher. if u keep it at 1:1 (400), u won&#39;t get far with ocing [/b][/quote]
ok, I geddit thanks :)

lynx
08-06-2004, 08:59 AM
I&#39;ll agree with abu on some points, and disagree on others.

Yes, you need to change the cpu:ram speed ratio so that you aren&#39;t overclocking your ram (yet). If the option is available you also need to look at AGP/PCI speed to make sure you aren&#39;t overclocking this too. It is simply a case of altering the speed of one thing at a time in order to get the best performance out of everything.

Increasing Vdimm, how will this help OCing? Well if you aren&#39;t OCing your ram it won&#39;t help a bit, but it will make your ram a bit hotter, and generally warm things up in your case. However, remember about it for later. Once you&#39;ve got the processor stable at high speed you will want to try to put the cpu:ram speed ratio back to 1:1. However, I don&#39;t think that should be a problem with your pc4000 memory, it should be able to run at 250MHz as standard.

Don&#39;t worry about voltage readings in CPUZ and MBM5, the onboard sensor chips aren&#39;t that accurate anyway. They are really only useful as a rough guide if things are a long way off spec.

Interesting to note that Abu&#39;s memory is overvolted to 1.65v. All the memory I&#39;ve come across recently runs at about 2.5v (nominal), which makes me think that maybe he&#39;s not talking about Vdimm after all. He could be talking about Vio which would make more sense and might have the effect he&#39;s talking about, but I&#39;ve never seen a board where you could adjust this.

clocker
08-06-2004, 11:19 AM
Zero...two things...

One...I assume you ran a full suite of benchmark tests before you began so you can tell if you are actually getting anywhere?
After all, just making the chip run faster is pretty silly if you aren&#39;t seeing much benefit from it.

Two...I&#39;m not familiar with Intel CPU/mobos, but with my AMD platform there are lots of hacked/modified BIOS available that (supposedly) address issues present in the stock BIOS that might inhibit OCing.
I have had mixed success using them, but it&#39;s worth looking into.

abu_has_the_power
08-06-2004, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by lynx@6 August 2004 - 04:00
I&#39;ll agree with abu on some points, and disagree on others.

Yes, you need to change the cpu:ram speed ratio so that you aren&#39;t overclocking your ram (yet). If the option is available you also need to look at AGP/PCI speed to make sure you aren&#39;t overclocking this too. It is simply a case of altering the speed of one thing at a time in order to get the best performance out of everything.

Increasing Vdimm, how will this help OCing? Well if you aren&#39;t OCing your ram it won&#39;t help a bit, but it will make your ram a bit hotter, and generally warm things up in your case. However, remember about it for later. Once you&#39;ve got the processor stable at high speed you will want to try to put the cpu:ram speed ratio back to 1:1. However, I don&#39;t think that should be a problem with your pc4000 memory, it should be able to run at 250MHz as standard.

Don&#39;t worry about voltage readings in CPUZ and MBM5, the onboard sensor chips aren&#39;t that accurate anyway. They are really only useful as a rough guide if things are a long way off spec.

Interesting to note that Abu&#39;s memory is overvolted to 1.65v. All the memory I&#39;ve come across recently runs at about 2.5v (nominal), which makes me think that maybe he&#39;s not talking about Vdimm after all. He could be talking about Vio which would make more sense and might have the effect he&#39;s talking about, but I&#39;ve never seen a board where you could adjust this.
wtf? i&#39;ll have to look into that vdimm thing. maybe i remembered wrong. but all i know is, before i increased vdimm, running my comp at 3.2 with ram at 320 will cause it to not post. after i increased a tiny bit, it posts and has been stable for bout 6 months now. ok, maybe it wasn&#39;t 1.6v, some other #. forgot. havn&#39;t been in my bios settings for a very long time