PDA

View Full Version : Windows System Folder

hungrylilboy
08-06-2004, 05:03 PM
how do u change the name of a systems folder?

ie. C:\Documents and Settings\COMPUTERNAME\My Documents\

i want to change the bit in italics.

keyser_soze
08-06-2004, 05:25 PM
The COMPUTERNAME part is usually the name of the person whos logged into that account so just start a new account with a diff name,if you want to change the name of the folder just rename it but I would'nt mess around with renaming system folders any it could have loads of bad effects.

hungrylilboy
08-06-2004, 08:20 PM
is there no way to do it then? i had to have a new hhd and the guy in the shop simply wrote computername as the windows install folder.

is there no way to change it?

keyser_soze
08-06-2004, 08:29 PM
I'm not sure what u mean by the install folder? when the o/s was installed it should'nt have asked where to install it, it should have just installed to the windows system folder, where is this folder your trying to change the name of m8?

hungrylilboy
08-06-2004, 09:20 PM
right if u go to ur local disc, in my case c:

then documents and settings..

i have 4 folders (obviously urs may be different depending on the number of users u have).

mine are, "all users", "owner", "computername" and "me"

i want to change the one entitled "computername" but cant as it tells me its windows system folder

this is the name the guy in the shop gave my computer after putting a new hard drive in for me. Changing the name of the computer in control panel/performance & maintenace/system doesnt do it, nor does changing the name of the person windows is registered to in the registry.

an example of what i am trying to change can be seen in msn. If u go to msn, tools/options/messages/ and look at where it is going to put the recieved files.

mine shows "C:\Documents and Settings\COMPUTERNAME\My Documents\My Received Files"

i want to change the "computername" bit. Hope this is a bit clearer now and thanks for ur help

Jg427
08-06-2004, 09:40 PM
It looks like computername is the name he gave to the user account.
To change it :
start > control panel > user accounts > pick an account to change (computername) > change my name

hungrylilboy
08-07-2004, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by Jg427@6 August 2004 - 21:41
It looks like computername is the name he gave to the user account.
To change it :
start > control panel > user accounts > pick an account to change (computername) > change my name
no the only account is "me"

hungrylilboy
08-07-2004, 09:00 AM
maybe i aint being clear as to what i am trying to do (i have googled this btw)

1)I am the sole user of my pc.

2)There is 1 account on my pc which is correctly named "me"

3)In system properties the computer name is correct

4) In documents and settings I have 5 folders. "All Users", "Owner", "Me", Computername" and "user2"

5) although the 1 account on my pc is "me" and docs and settings contains a folder entitled "me", all my work etc is stored under the folder "computername". This name also shows up in the folder roots if u look in msn for example. (where its going to store received files for example). However there is no account titled "computername"

6)I want to change the name of this folder to "me2" but am told when i try that it is a systems folder.

7) Going into the reg and changing the value there does not work and simply creates another folder.
How do i do this?

--------------------------------

another question. Is it safe to delete the "user2" folder as there is no account and i dont use it?

peat moss
08-07-2004, 02:51 PM
I know what you mean it bugs me too. But I wouldn't play with windows folders. :huh: Try deleting in user accounts. My computer, user accounts. How many are in there?

hungrylilboy
08-07-2004, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by peat moss@7 August 2004 - 14:52
I know what you mean it bugs me too. But I wouldn't play with windows folders. :huh: Try deleting in user accounts. My computer, user accounts. How many are in there?
in my computer there is just one account, with the name i want to use. But it doesnt contain my stuff.

Chewie
08-07-2004, 06:13 PM
There is a feature in XP called Files and settings transfer wizard that would allow you to backup to CD and then import it again when you've created an account with your proposed name but I've never used it and don't know how it works, so this is how I'd do it...

Create a new folder anywhere you like and move the files you want to keep there.
Create a temporary new user account with admin rights and login to it.
Delete the user account you are using at the moment and elect to delete all files and settings when prompted.
Delete the account folder inside C:\Documents and Settings\ - if you can't do this, reboot and try again, use Safe Mode if necessary.
Search for and delete any references to the account name in the Windows folder and the registry.
Reboot the machine and login to your new account again.
Create a new user account with the name you want to use.
Logout of the temporary account and login to the new permanent one.
Move back the stuff you saved at the beginning.
Delete the temporary user account, again electing to delete all files and settings.
Reboot.

Just make sure you copy everything you want to keep at the beginning.

hungrylilboy
08-07-2004, 08:17 PM
ok that worked. Very long winded. Thanks though.

Chewie
08-07-2004, 08:28 PM
np.
The reason I described it that way was that I've ended up with a strange extension on the end of the name for the user's folder a couple of times, but that way should prevent that.

hungrylilboy
08-07-2004, 09:15 PM
takes a bit of work. u have to rename some folders, u lose ur passwords etc in ie/firefox/etc and u have to re-do settings in some programs but so far, fingers crossed is working.