PDA

View Full Version : What's So Scary About The Ring?

pyromonkey
03-23-2003, 02:36 PM
hi, last night, i watched the ring, in a dark room, and was it ever.... tame?! What is it with people, everyone was telling me how scary it was, well then I must have missed the point! the only mildly freaky part(only because it came quickly and was a little gross) was at the beggining when the dead girl was in the corner of the closet! have people lost touch with the fear, and let it slid so low that a tame movie like The Ring could scare them.

i guess this could be considered a slight bit of a request, because i would like to see ringu and ringu 2 because they are supposed to be scarier. if you have them could you either post them here, or pm me?

thanks... and dont let yourselves got scared so easily!

Crack_man
03-23-2003, 05:08 PM
Are you kidding,it scaried the shit out of me!

Skillian
03-23-2003, 06:36 PM
There are very few films that actually scare me, but I did think that bit when the girl comes out of the TV was pretty freaky.

The Great Dude
03-23-2003, 06:38 PM
It wasn't that scary, I think the sound effects and quick effects are all that made it seem so intense. If you take it away, just another movie. ;)

itay
03-23-2003, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by Skillian@23 March 2003 - 19:36
There are very few films that actually scare me, but I did think that bit when the girl comes out of the TV was pretty freaky.
yhe, when she came out of the TV, i freaked out :w00t: :w00t:
it was disgusting...........
i liked the part when the mother and the daughter stand next to the well, the mother said: "i'm sorry"
and then she suffocate her daughter, and pushed her over the edge of the well..... :lol: :lol:

i'ts a great movie

chrhein
03-23-2003, 07:54 PM
well i watched it in the cinema, and i thought it was pretty scary. Also you must remember, that seing the girl in the closet, comes as a chok! Therefor i sat through out the entire movie expecting to be scared in the same way. But it didnt happen until the little bitch :) came out of the tv! Still i think the movie was hairy scairy

The Great Dude
03-23-2003, 07:58 PM
The closet was just sick, but not really scary if you think about it. Why was the TV scary? ;)

sleepnmojo
03-23-2003, 08:06 PM
I think i missed it too. Parts were freaky, but not scary. They are two different things. I tried watching the japanese one after it. It felt tamer to me than the us version. So i don't know wat everyone was talking about. I think it was hype, and everyone just said it was scary because everyone else did.

The Great Dude
03-23-2003, 08:07 PM
Maybe they never watched it and are trying to fit in. :P :lol: I still don't think it's scary, it's just the effects that makes it seem that way.

Z
03-23-2003, 08:42 PM
i agree. the two scary parts are the girl in the closet as a shock, and out of the tv was kinda freaky. but the ending was so lame too! so uncreative! so she made a copy, how exciting!(sarcasm). :lol:
:P :P

sk8punk151
03-24-2003, 12:00 AM
I know what you mean. Its not that scary, but its more scary when u see it at the theater. The sound is better and of course the screen is huge. The only parts the really scared me were wen things poped out with really loud BOOMS (u kno wat i mean and then ur heart starts jumping?) If you watched it on VHS that explains it. The DVD is ok, but if you watched it on your comp then your missing out.

and whats that movie your requesting?? never heard of it..

Cerberus
03-24-2003, 11:01 AM
It's scary that I paid $8.50 to see it :blink:

sk8punk151
03-25-2003, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by Cerberus@24 March 2003 - 12:01
It's scary that I paid $8.50 to see it :blink:
LOL. I paid 9.75 to see it.. christ

The Great Dude
03-25-2003, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by sk8punk151@23 March 2003 - 16:00
I know what you mean. Its not that scary, but its more scary when u see it at the theater. The sound is better and of course the screen is huge. The only parts the really scared me were wen things poped out with really loud BOOMS (u kno wat i mean and then ur heart starts jumping?) If you watched it on VHS that explains it. The DVD is ok, but if you watched it on your comp then your missing out.

and whats that movie your requesting?? never heard of it..
I watched it everywhere including the theatre. :P See it's the effects. :lol:

DataMore
03-25-2003, 01:01 AM
:ph34r: The scarriest part was when some dude hit me with some popcorns, woke me up and told me not to snore so loud. :ph34r:

The Great Dude
03-25-2003, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by DataMore@24 March 2003 - 17:01
:ph34r: The scarriest part was when some dude hit me with some popcorns, woke me up and told me not to snore so loud. :ph34r:
How can you notice popcorn hitting you while snoring? :lol:

Infested Cats
03-25-2003, 01:09 AM
In my opinion, I dont think it was meant to be a scary movie: but more of a 'psychologicaly suspensful film.'
Also, your idea of 'scary' could be different than mine.

To you, a scary movie could mean gore and monsters under the bed. To me, a scary movie could mean a truely harrowing story.
"Scary" movies today rely a lot on "shock value." Todays scary movies tend to play with the fear of being torn to peices by some ugly beast... and I guess that's what we expect from a scary movie. I think The Ring (and the original Ringu), were trying to go for something a little different.
Rather than being upfront, the Ring made you think. It kept you guessing.

The fact that the movie was hard to understand is an element of its "scairiness." Being unable to explain the unexplainable is a common human fear. "Being unable to see behind the curtain" like in The Wizard of Oz (hopefully you know what I mean).

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that I dont think this should be treated like your normal run-of-the-mill scary/horror movie. It takes a completley different approach to the genre. I thought it was great, and I now own it.

Ad
03-25-2003, 02:14 AM
U have to have a good imgaination to be scared of this movie like Blair witched if u don't have a good imagination then it does shit for u its like reading a book rather then seeing it

Schmiggy_JK23
03-25-2003, 02:21 AM
I thought blair witch was much more scary then the ring. The ring was a joke, and I am glad I didnt pay to see it... would have been a waste.

The exorcist makes it look a episode of scooby doo

Infested Cats
03-25-2003, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by adthomp+ --></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (adthomp @ )</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>U have to have a good imgaination to be scared of this movie[/b]

Exactly.

<!--QuoteBegin--Schmiggy_JK23@
The exorcist makes it look a episode of scooby doo[/quote]

In retrospect, i thought the Exorcist was dated (considering that it&#39;s just that). I think the exorcist and the ring run at the same level.

DataMore
03-25-2003, 02:33 AM
I saw the exorcist when I was a kid (I think I was 11 :unsure: ) and I didn&#39;t find it scary at all. ;)

:huh: Can you people please tell me how impossible things can be scarry and make you wonder if it could actually happen? :huh:

Skillian
03-25-2003, 02:36 AM
The same way impossible things like LOTR are fun - you suspend disbelief for a while and let yourself be pulled into what the movie (or book or whatever) is trying to create.

DataMore
03-25-2003, 02:41 AM
You can be fascinated by those kinds of stories and ideas, but scared? :blink:

llamaj Mim
03-25-2003, 02:51 AM
For me, it&#39;s not scary during the movie. It&#39;s after. When I turned off my DVD player, I got a snowy screen and I was like "Ah, turn the goddamn TV off&#33;&#33;&#33;" :blink:

Infested Cats
03-25-2003, 03:00 AM
Originally posted by DataMore@24 March 2003 - 21:41
You can be fascinated by those kinds of stories and ideas, but scared? :blink:
If you&#39;ve ever read any Steven King book (or any horror novel), you would understand&#33;
The Book "IT" freaked me out... much more than the TV adaptation.

Thats why, like said before, imagination is key with certain horror movies. You cant expect everything to be like laid out in front of you&#33;

DataMore
03-25-2003, 03:09 AM
Originally posted by Infested Cats@25 March 2003 - 03:00
If you&#39;ve ever read any Steven King book (or any horror novel), you would understand&#33;
The Book "IT" freaked me out... much more than the TV adaptation.

Thats why, like said before, imagination is key with certain horror movies. You cant expect everything to be like laid out in front of you&#33;
Yes, I understand that. If you have imagination you can find all those movies fascinating, but not at the point of freaking you out&#33;

Remember that reality can be much scarier than any horror movie ever made. ;)

Cerberus
03-25-2003, 06:54 AM
I think the reason I couldn&#39;t get into it was the fact I saw "Fear Dot Com" prior to seeing the ring. So the whole "if you see this, you will die" concept lost it&#39;s merit.

By the way.........if you&#39;re reading this messege, in seven days you will.............forget all about it <_<

chrhein
03-25-2003, 03:52 PM
Nothing like a good discussion. Still i fell the movie was pretty scary, then again i saw in the cinema. Nothing will scare your ass like Dolby Digital sound. When i watched it, there was a bunch of young girls behind me and my buddy, and they kept screeming all through the scary parts of the movie, then when the girl comes out of the tv, everyone kinda started laughing, well it was scary, but until that time in the movie, nothing supernatural had happened. Well of course they found here body and all that, but still, nothing supernatural had actually happened. One of my friends was convincened all through the movie, that it was some kind of human serial killer who had a GPS tap into the fucking tape, and therefor he knew when ppl watched it :)... Well he thought so just until she popped out of the tv