PDA

View Full Version : How To Check If Port Isn't Capped?

ofbz
08-07-2004, 08:37 AM
first of all.... i really meant to say throtelled but im not sure how is spelled... :P

i've heard about isp capping the speeds on certains ports... does anyone know a site or software that allows me to check the speeds on certain ports???

im not using the default ports... i changed them to 58988 - 58998 ...is that ok...

the problem is that some days ago, i used to get from 100 to 400 KB/s, but know im hardly getting more than 10 KB/s....

Chame1eon
08-07-2004, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by ofbz@7 August 2004 - 04:38
first of all.... i really meant to say throtelled but im not sure how is spelled... :P

i've heard about isp capping the speeds on certains ports... does anyone know a site or software that allows me to check the speeds on certain ports???

im not using the default ports... i changed them to 58988 - 58998 ...is that ok...

the problem is that some days ago, i used to get from 100 to 400 KB/s, but know im hardly getting more than 10 KB/s....
it's normal to for the downlod to start out fast then get slower after you've reached a certain % especially if there are a lot of leechers and not many seed.

i doubt throttling is the problem, but if you really want to be sure you coud try downloadign something with a lot of seeds and fewer peers

angel_of_death57
08-07-2004, 01:03 PM
Yeah on Torrent Bits we all been talking about it i changed my ports and high ports i had more problems with might be cos i am on ADSL ?????

I had ports 52250 to 52260 but they sucked so i changed to 70xx to 70xx i won't say what i used its better if they secret and my ports work fine full speed.

ofbz
08-08-2004, 06:44 AM
thanx dudes....

ill see what happens when i download something with a lot of seed and few leechers (gonna be hard to find)

and also im gonna play with my ports...

thanx again

*****edit***** i did the port changes... and it has gotten a lot better....

getting speeds of 40 - 100 on one torrent, and 20-30 to the others....

not sure if it was the port changes... but anyways.....

ricochet
08-09-2004, 04:04 AM
the port you had it on might be in use by another program... With A.Z. you can check the port before you use it...

ZaZu
08-09-2004, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by ofbz@7 August 2004 - 04:38

You can use natcheck (http://btfaq.com/natcheck.pl) to see if a port is accessable

Use the speed test at DSL Reports (http://www.dslreports.com/tools) to check your up/down speed

Switeck
08-10-2004, 03:10 AM
Originally posted by ZaZu@9 August 2004 - 01:41
Use the speed test at DSL Reports (http://www.dslreports.com/tools) to check your up/down speed
Sadly, most speed tests online use HTTP ports only.

Thus, ISPs which block and throttle non-HTTP ports can always tell you to go there, run those tests, then say "There's nothing wrong with your connection, you stupid L-user!"