PDA

View Full Version : Really Simple Question...

Cheese
08-07-2004, 12:08 PM
I now have two computers and want to link them both so that I can transfer files between them both easily and have both connected to the internet.

What's the best and, most importantly, the cheapest way to achieve this?

J'Pol
08-07-2004, 12:20 PM
Connect using a network cable to set up a home network, then you can share files printers everything, including your internet connection.

However that PC will have to be on for the other to get onto the interweb.

You can get a lead up to about 20 metres from Maplins (maybe 25 metres)

That is the cheapest if not the best way.

Details (http://www.homenethelp.com/web/howto/HomeNet-start.asp)

Your Motherboard probably has an ethernet connecion already btw, I think most have nowadays. It's like the modem connection, but a wee bit bigger, or smaller. I can never remember.

Snee
08-07-2004, 12:26 PM
Depends on what you have at home.

Cross-wired ethernet-cable, and network cards in both 'puters- 100Mbps
Add an extra ethernet card, and you can have internet access with the one 'puter acting as a portal.

USB cable (can give a transferrate between your 'puters of 480Mbps, if you have usb2 on both 'puters) and an ethernet card on one 'puter.
The cable should look something like this, but it has to be hi-speed compliant, full speed is just a fancier name for USB 1.1 oddly enough, I think. (http://www.goldxproducts.com/usb/u300.htm)

Router and two regular cables- you can set it up with internet access for both 'puters at the same time.

Null modem, slow as fuck, com port to com port. + ethernet card on one 'puter.

Then there's wireless, and bluetooth. Should you happen to have bluetooth support on both mobo's you can connect them wirelessly, that way.

Cheese
08-07-2004, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by J'Pol@7 August 2004 - 13:21
Connect using a network cable to set up a home network, then you can share files printers everything, including your internet connection.

However that PC will have to be on for the other to get onto the interweb.

You can get a lead up to about 20 metres from Maplins (maybe 25 metres)

That is the cheapest if not the best way.

Details (http://www.homenethelp.com/web/howto/HomeNet-start.asp)

Your Motherboard probably has an ethernet connecion already btw, I think most have nowadays. It's like the modem connection, but a wee bit bigger, or smaller. I can never remember.
Thanks for the link JP, a cheap and cheerful cable it is then. Only 97p from ebuyer. :01:

@SnnY: Cheers for the info, I think I'll probably go down the router route (pun intended) at a later date when I have more pennies.

Snee
08-07-2004, 12:49 PM
A router is the way to go, I think.

The pros of having a router are mainly that you needn't leave both 'puters on to access the internet(as you know), and that many routers act as hardware firewalls, which is the best thing for outside attacks, tho' you usually still need a software firewall for outgoing traffic.

The cons are that it may mess with your slsk and BT. You need to forward ports and whatnot to make it work.

Cheese
08-07-2004, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by SnnY@7 August 2004 - 13:50
A router is the way to go, I think.

The pros of having a router are mainly that you needn't leave both 'puters on to access the internet(as you know), and that many routers act as hardware firewalls, which is the best thing for outside attacks, tho' you usually still need a software firewall for outgoing traffic.

The cons are that it may mess with your slsk and BT. You need to forward ports and whatnot to make it work.
I shall be looking for advice on routers near future, seems like a good idea if I can connect the landlady's computer as well so we can share the broadband bill. :D

J'Pol
08-07-2004, 01:27 PM
I have 4 computers connected using the same broadband and it works a treat. I use a mixture of wired and wireless, through a router.

Remember avec, you will need to be able to connect your gateway computer to the modem. If it is currently connected using your lan thingy then you will need to add another one. As you will be using that for your PC to PC link.

If your modem has USB then you could probably use that, or a USB to RJ 45 converter (but they cost a few squids) if the modem does not support USB.

Best option if you are not going down the router route just now (which I would btw, you can get them quite cheaply now and it really is a lot better) is to add another networking card. There are instructions at the link I gave you I think.

Just buy a router with the tax you are dodging, you know it makes sense.

Look here (http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/products/a653x1y0z1p0s0n0m0)

I like the Linksys one btw and it doesn't cost a lot of tax. It will also give you a hardware firewall (I think that one is nat) and it would be easier to set up.

firefox
08-09-2004, 03:35 PM
forget everything else except the ideas with the router, it is the best way to create your network and share your internet, and if you end up getting more computers you will be ready for them. A router also gives you a firewall to protect the comptuers from the internet as well.