PDA

View Full Version : Turn The Fucking System Restore 'off'

BawA
08-08-2004, 09:08 AM
I just found that System Restore takes almost 4Gb of the HDD space, and it never ever works perfictly so why should reserve space for it. better way is to backup ur Windows with norton Ghost and save it to ur 2nd HDD.

any one wants to turn it off:
Right Click on "My Computer", select "System Restore" From tap and Check "turn Of system....."

Chewie
08-08-2004, 10:03 AM
Alternatively, right click My Computer, select Properties, click the System Restore tab, highlight a drive, click Settings and move the slider all the way to the left so it doesn't use as much space.

BawA
08-08-2004, 10:32 AM
why do u even want to use it, system restoring is usefull in case of any virus infection which system restore cant roll it back cuz virus's 1st attacks the resotre file just like wrom blaster

Filliz
08-08-2004, 11:02 AM
Everytime i had to use my system restore,it worked like a charm.
And viri infecting system restore are easily removed by disabling system restore first,and then do a virus scan.

I&#39;m not switching it off,just for the 4gig of space <_<
Rather have 4 gigs less than having to format my pc after a fuck up.

Cheese
08-08-2004, 11:10 AM
System restore has helped me a number of times, mainly when I have fecked up my Soulseek installation (with my user lists on) and have always been able to get it back.

With 240gb of space I&#39;m not exactly aching for storage either so I leave it on. There&#39;s no harm in leaving it on either if you aren&#39;t using all your HD, better to have it and not need it then...well you get my drift.

BawA
08-08-2004, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Filliz@8 August 2004 - 15:03
And viri infecting system restore are easily removed by disabling system restore first,and then do a virus scan.

norton Ghost is more usefull then the shity Restore, u can have all of ur windows including installed program backedup and restore in in one click.

Cheese
08-08-2004, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by bawa@Klite_user+8 August 2004 - 12:37--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bawa@Klite_user @ 8 August 2004 - 12:37)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Filliz@8 August 2004 - 15:03

I&#39;m not switching it off,just for the 4gig of space <_<&nbsp;
norton Ghost is more usefull then the shity Restore, u can have all of ur windows including installed program backedup and restore in in one click. [/b][/quote]
What about those of us who dislike Norton&#39;s products?

btw: Was it really necessary to swear in the title thread? It&#39;s not big and it&#39;s not clever.

MeDieViL
08-08-2004, 11:47 AM
blah i also dislike norton&#33;

i use acronis true image
works like a charm&#33; ;)

BawA
08-08-2004, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Withcheese+8 August 2004 - 15:45--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Withcheese @ 8 August 2004 - 15:45)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by bawa@Klite_user@8 August 2004 - 12:37
<!--QuoteBegin-Filliz@8 August 2004 - 15:03

norton Ghost is more usefull then the shity Restore, u can have all of ur windows including installed program backedup and restore in in one click.
What about those of us who dislike Norton&#39;s products?

btw: Was it really necessary to swear in the title thread? It&#39;s not big and it&#39;s not clever. [/b][/quote]
am just pissed cuz i didnt knew System restore was eating 4Gb and i dont even use it, my apology if it hurts u <_<

MeDieViL
08-08-2004, 11:49 AM
m8, i disable it also, i never used it, and it only eats hard drive space

also go to start --&#62; run --&#62; services.msc and disable the system restore service, itf you disbled system restore its still there eating memory

Cheese
08-08-2004, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by bawa@Klite_user@8 August 2004 - 12:49
am just pissed cuz i didnt knew System restore was eating 4Gb and i dont even use it, my apology if it hurts u <_<
Thanks for the sincere apology.

Swearing in your thread title whilst completely uneccessary also makes you look like a 12-year-old-AOL using prick. Think about it...do you really think it&#39;s big or clever?

ziggyjuarez
08-08-2004, 12:38 PM
I had to use it almost a week ago.Very Handy prog.

Robert00000
08-08-2004, 01:05 PM
System Restore is very useful, it can resolve all kinds of problems it would take days to fix by other methods. I was surprised when it managed to fix a damaged partition problem when i was under the impression it couldn&#39;t.

Just as long as you know its limitations it can be of great use, in any case backing up your hard drives takes too long, especially if i have to backup 320 gig on my other computer.

System restore saves a lot of hassle and is worth the extra space.

BawA
08-08-2004, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Robert00000@8 August 2004 - 17:06
System Restore is very useful, it can resolve all kinds of problems it would take days to fix by other methods. I was surprised when it managed to fix a damaged partition problem when i was under the impression it couldn&#39;t.

Just as long as you know its limitations it can be of great use, in any case backing up your hard drives takes too long, especially if i have to backup 320 gig on my other computer.

System restore saves a lot of hassle and is worth the extra space.
whos said to backup ur entire HDD, u can just backup ur windows files and some usefull apps and updates. u can have partions and save ur non-system files there(install files etc)
And u cant fix partition problems with Just restoring, Partition problems r diffrent issues and must be solved with special threats.

Swearing in your thread title whilst completely uneccessary also makes you look like a 12-year-old-AOL using prick. Think about it...do you really think it&#39;s big or clever?

I didnt know that :blink:

harrycary
08-08-2004, 01:55 PM
4 gigs?

more than likely that is 4 gigs of restore points.

deleting them once in awhile will drop that size down considerably.

(start>all programs>accessories>system tools>disk cleanup>more options)

seems to be a no brainer.

BawA
08-08-2004, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by harrycary@8 August 2004 - 17:56
4 gigs?

more than likely that is 4 gigs of restore points.

deleting them once in awhile will drop that size down considerably.

(start>all programs>accessories>system tools>disk cleanup>more options)

seems to be a no brainer.
if i dont use it why should i keep it &#39;on&#39;, and if u want to clean them up once in a while why create it at the 1st point.

mrlessk
08-08-2004, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by bawa@Klite_user@8 August 2004 - 02:09
and it never ever works perfictly
Perhaps you need to learn how to work it then&#33; :rtfm:

BawA
08-08-2004, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by mrlessk+8 August 2004 - 19:34--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mrlessk @ 8 August 2004 - 19:34)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-bawa@Klite_user@8 August 2004 - 02:09
and it never ever works perfictly
Perhaps you need to learn how to work it then&#33; :rtfm: [/b][/quote]
There is notting to read about it, just simple "next" clicks.
There is a virus which attacks the Norton AV, every time i tried to resotre Windows to solve that problem system restore gives me error: "Could not restore" bullshit.

peat moss
08-08-2004, 03:40 PM
First thing to due with a virus repair, is to turn off system restore. ;)

http://www.emc.maricopa.edu/information_te...information.htm (http://www.emc.maricopa.edu/information_technology/faq/virus_information.htm)

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.n...000092513515106 (http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2000092513515106)

Robert00000
08-08-2004, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by bawa@Klite_user@8 August 2004 - 13:13
whos said to backup ur entire HDD, u can just backup ur windows files and some usefull apps and updates. u can have partions and save ur non-system files there(install files etc)
And u cant fix partition problems with Just restoring, Partition problems r diffrent issues and must be solved with special threats.

What would be the point of backing up windows files when its on the cd anyway? and updates can easily be downloaded from the microsoft website, they&#39;re not that big.

And just in case you&#39;ve missed what i said on the previous post- "I was surprised when it managed to fix a damaged partition problem when i was under the impression it couldn&#39;t".

The problem is you dont know how to use system restore and have been trying to justify an arguement you can&#39;t possibly justify.

I&#39;ve been on this forum for a long time and have helped very many people with software problems, and in 90 % of the cases the probelm could have been easily resolved by using system restore.

system restore is the quick solution to almost all software related problems that develop on a system when it was running ok previously.

Monkeee
08-08-2004, 03:54 PM
lol i actually agree i&#39;m turning off System Restore... 4 gigs aint worth it. i&#39;d rather use Norton Ghost.

peat moss
08-08-2004, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Monkeee@8 August 2004 - 07:55
lol i actually agree i&#39;m turning off System Restore... 4 gigs aint worth it. i&#39;d rather use Norton Ghost.
I&#39;m confused 4gb in system restore? Why not use disk clean up and delete everthing but the most recent point? Or manage disk space usage with the slider tool in system restore panel? :huh:

Chewie
08-08-2004, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by bawa@Klite_user@8 August 2004 - 10:33
why do u even want to use it, system restoring is usefull in case of any virus infection which system restore cant roll it back cuz virus&#39;s 1st attacks the resotre file just like wrom blaster
That must be a new method then, because the point of turning off SR before virus removal is to remove restore points that would take your system back to an infected state.