PDA

View Full Version : Usb Port Problem, Please Help!

exo_body
08-08-2004, 01:37 PM
ok, i recently had to have my hard disk reformated and windows home edition installed again, due to a virus. however, now every time i plug in my mp3 player, or my digital camera into the usb ports i get this message in a wee bubble on the task bar:
"HI-SPEED USB device plugged into non-HI-SPEED USB Hub
a hi-speed usbdevice is plugged into a non hi-speed usb hub"

ive searched google for the answer and on the windows site it said that by installing service pack 1, it will solve the problem, but i already have it installed.

so does any one know what patch or what i should install that will fix this problem. i never had it before, only now :unsure:

uNz[i]
08-08-2004, 01:46 PM
Did you reinstall your motherboard drivers after the reformat?

Sounds like your USB 2.0 ports are only running at USB 1.X

exo_body
08-08-2004, 01:52 PM
i dunno, my uncle reinstalled everything.
it also says:
you must add a high speed usb controller to this computer to obtain maximum performance

how can i find out if the drivers have been installed?
thanks

peat moss
08-08-2004, 02:02 PM
Check in device manager, to see . Press windows key and pause key .Then click hardware. Also try windows update to see if it has a driver update.

uNz[i]
08-08-2004, 02:07 PM
Control Panel > System > Hardware tab > Device Manager button > Universal Serial Bus Controllers.

Check the brandname of the controller drivers.
For example, I have a mobo with a VIA chipset. So my USB controller uses VIA drivers.

Edit: If there was no problem before the reformat, then your mobo driver CD should have the driver you need.

Chewie
08-08-2004, 06:31 PM
XP's SP1 has support for USB2, so mobo drivers aren't needed - is SP1 installed?

exo_body
08-08-2004, 11:25 PM
(sorry im only replying now, was at work) yeah i have SP1 on the computer.
right they are:

Universal serial bus controllers, then under that 3 are called "standard open HCD USB host controller" and another 2 are called "USB root hub"

uNz[i]
08-09-2004, 06:00 AM
Originally posted by Chewie UK@9 August 2004 - 04:02
XP's SP1 has support for USB2, so mobo drivers aren't needed - is SP1 installed?
exo_body said SP1 was installed in his initial post.
That's what made me suspect this is most likely a mobo driver issue, Chewie.

exo_body
08-09-2004, 01:23 PM
ok, umm so do you have any suggestions on what i should do?

uNz[i]
08-09-2004, 03:24 PM
Try updating the existing USB drivers to the ones on the mobo CD?

If that doesn't work (and this is just a hunch... but maybe it'll wake windows up to the fact they're USB 2.0 ports) right click on the USB devices in Device Manager and select Scan for hardware changes.

If that doesn't fix it, I'm stumped until I can ask my PC hardware teacher.
Let me know how you get on.

exo_body
08-09-2004, 04:39 PM
ok where do i get this mobo cd?i shall try it out if i can get ahold of the drivers.thanks for your help man, really appreciate it

Chewie
08-09-2004, 06:16 PM
@ uNz[i]:
Yeah, sorry, missed that for some reason! :)

@exo_body:
Have you made sure that USB2 functionality is turned on in BIOS?

exo_body
08-09-2004, 06:43 PM
how do i check that out?

peat moss
08-09-2004, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by exo_body@9 August 2004 - 10:44
how do i check that out?
Should be easy press delete key on boot , before the windows screen.

http://www.umt.edu/reslife/EnterBIOS.htm

exo_body
08-09-2004, 09:13 PM
once im in the bios how do i check that the USB2 functionality is turned on?

Chewie
08-09-2004, 11:01 PM
That depends on your BIOS, and since we can't see your BIOS screens, it's gonna be guesswork to give step-by-step instructions.
For this reason, you're gonna have to use a little initiative - try going into the BIOS and having a look around.
What I can tell you is that generally the up/down cursor keys will move you up/down options, PageUp/Down will change an option, enter will take you into a subset of options and the Esc key takes you back up a level. That said, you'll see help somewhere (normally along the bottom of the screen) to tell you which keys will do what.
If you're not sure about an option, leave it alone. Just go in and out of different pages until you find the USB ones, then it'll hopefully become obvioius.

uNz[i]
08-10-2004, 02:36 AM
D'oh!.. should've asked this right at the start... are you sure your USB ports are USB 2.0? :huh:

There's a checkbox in the Universal Serial Bus Host Controller Properties (Advanced tab) that says Don't tell me about USB errors.
Perhaps you just have USB 1.X ports, and that checkbox was ticked before the reformat.
That would explain why you never saw this error before. :lol:

We need more info, methinks. Manufacturer and model of your motherboard would definately make the job easier.

Edit: If your mobo driver CD isn't with all the other CDs you likely have stored somewhere near your PC, then my best guess is that your Uncle who did the reformat for you still has it.

exo_body
08-10-2004, 03:03 PM
nope i checked and the box isnt ticked and im pretty sure they would be 2.0 as the pc is pretty new and all.plus it takes over twice as long to take things from my mp3 player as it did before.

ok how do i find out the manufacturer and model of my motherboard?

uNz[i]
08-10-2004, 04:04 PM
Easiest way is to take a look at the motherboard or PC manual.
Failing that, if you can find the mobo driver CD, explore it for a .pdf file.
That should have what we need.