PDA

View Full Version : Reformatting Didn't Work..help!

brucelee21
08-09-2004, 01:45 PM
kay...I did my first reformatting of my hard drive last night. And I'm not sure if I did it right.
I used an oem windows xp cd to boot and followed instructions where it got to the point where windows was reinstalled. However there was one point where about 8mb were unpartitioned and I don' t know what I did to it. But the majority of the 76gb hardrive I selected 'd' to delete then 'c' to create partition....whatever that means. Then I think i hit 'enter' and it begat formating...it took about 30mins. Everything was erased except the errors.

so anyhoo...I reinstalled drivers, updated windows, etc. And as I was installing things I was still getting the errors, and my computer would constantly reset itself.
After I installed norton AV corp ed. It foud six viruses, it took a while to quarantine one of them which was the w32irc.bot virus.

these are the a sample of errors I get after windows restarts:
c:\windows\minidump\mini080904.01.dmp
c:\doc~1\roderi~1\locals~1\temp\wer1.tmp.dir00\sysdata.xml
c:\temp\wera.tmp.dir00\lsass.exe.mdp\appcompat.txt

please guys...I need some serious help here, did I do something wrong with the format? Is there another source for these errors? what should I do? suggestions, comments, step by step guide would be appreciated.

firefox
08-09-2004, 03:03 PM
make sure your virus def are up to date, restart computer in safe mode, and rescan for viruses. See if that helps.

brucelee21
08-09-2004, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by firefox@9 August 2004 - 15:04
make sure your virus def are up to date, restart computer in safe mode, and rescan for viruses. See if that helps.
no viruses

Robert00000
08-09-2004, 09:39 PM
Did you delete the partitions or just reformated?

chinook_apache
08-09-2004, 09:41 PM
you sure you windows copy hasnt got corrupted files? where did you get your copy from?

peat moss
08-09-2004, 09:50 PM
Here's a helpful guide , But you should deal with the virus first .
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

Edit: This file . c:\temp\wera.tmp.dir00\lsass.exe.mdp\appcompat.txt

brucelee21
08-09-2004, 09:52 PM
I think i deleted the partitions and formatted...however I didn't type c: format at any prompt. When at the window setup screen I pressed d to delete, then l to lose information, then c to create new partition, then started formatting automatically.
Is this right? Is there an easier way to format?

The windows cd I have is the original that I purchased when I got my pc...it has product key and everything.

HELP!!!!!!!

peat moss
08-09-2004, 09:55 PM
Bruce, your thinking of the old dos way, read my edit, it has a great guide for xp. :)

chinook_apache
08-09-2004, 09:56 PM
ok, you might want to check your hdd for errors because you say you have no viruses. I have no idea how to check the hdd for errors but other members will be helpful in directing to you how and what you need to check the hdd for errors.

peat moss
08-09-2004, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by chinook_apache@9 August 2004 - 13:57
ok, you might want to check your hdd for errors because you say you have no viruses. I have no idea how to check the hdd for errors but other members will be helpful in directing to you how and what you need to check the hdd for errors.
CHKDSK at command prompt . :) Sorry it's under start ,programs, accessories .

brucelee21
08-09-2004, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by peat moss@9 August 2004 - 21:56
Bruce, your thinking of the old dos way, read my edit, it has a great guide for xp. :)
that's actually the guide I used to format...except I didn't do that file settings transfer step.
also I have those viruses quaritined in norton av corp...to remove them do I just select them and then delete permenetly?

Mïcrösöül°V³
08-09-2004, 10:37 PM
Low level format is what you need.......write zeros to the drive. Ill fiind a link in a minute or 2

brucelee21
08-09-2004, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by Mïcrösöül°V³@9 August 2004 - 22:38
Low level format is what you need.......write zeros to the drive. Ill fiind a link in a minute or 2
low level format?? is that the same as a quick format? I run ntfs if that helps.

brucelee21
08-09-2004, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by peat moss+9 August 2004 - 21:59--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (peat moss @ 9 August 2004 - 21:59)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-chinook_apache@9 August 2004 - 13:57
CHKDSK at command prompt . :) Sorry it&#39;s under start ,programs, accessories . [/b][/quote]
i think this is a registry related problem...not sure though.
heres a startup errro I get at the begining:

windows/system32/config is corrupted or file is missing.

Mïcrösöül°V³
08-10-2004, 12:11 AM
GWSCAN (https://home.comcast.net/~MicrosoulV3/files/GWSCAN.rar)

I use this program to write zeros to my drive. This file when double clicked will extract to a 3.5 floppy (the floppy needs to be a brand spanking new one, or it wont work) when you reboot with this floppy inserted, it should load up GWSCAN, and you will see the option to write zeros to the drive. this process take appx. 1 hour for every 10gb. a 40gb drive takes roughly 3.5 hours. I hope this helps, if not let me know, and ill try to help further.

Also, I am hosting this file, so you can get it immediately.

brucelee21
08-10-2004, 12:30 AM
thanks for the suggestion...unfortunately I don&#39;t have a floppy drive. And my hd is 80gigs.

Mïcrösöül°V³
08-10-2004, 12:51 AM
well, just reinstall windows, and dont take the quick format option. and dont make any partitions at this stage. use partition magic later on to make partitions if you need. Wipe the whole drive and make it one 80gb drive with NO partitions

brucelee21
08-10-2004, 07:26 AM
i&#39;ll try reformatting again...but my antivirus has 5 w32sasser.c worms quarantined. Should I worry about these? How/should I remove these before I format?

firefox
08-10-2004, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by brucelee21@10 August 2004 - 01:27
i&#39;ll try reformatting again...but my antivirus has 5 w32sasser.c worms quarantined. Should I worry about these? How/should I remove these before I format?
they will go away when you format

Chewie
08-10-2004, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by brucelee21@10 August 2004 - 07:27
I don&#39;t think you fully understand what you&#39;re doing when you format.
Formatting a hard drive completely wipes off all data on it. Every file that you see on your hard drive, be it a picture, an mp3, a movie or a word document, will be gone after you format.
To get any files back that you wiped by mistake will require software specific to the purpose, and results are not guaranteed.

firefox
08-10-2004, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by Chewie UK+10 August 2004 - 13:57--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Chewie UK @ 10 August 2004 - 13:57)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-brucelee21@10 August 2004 - 07:27
I don&#39;t think you fully understand what you&#39;re doing when you format.
Formatting a hard drive completely wipes off all data on it. Every file that you see on your hard drive, be it a picture, an mp3, a movie or a word document, will be gone after you format.
To get any files back that you wiped by mistake will require software specific to the purpose, and results are not guaranteed. [/b][/quote]
well put, or you could just burn them to cd before you format for backup purposes.

brucelee21
08-10-2004, 09:40 PM
ummm...I do understand the concept of formatting. That is what I did, backed up all my info on cd&#39;s, then wiped the hd clean, reinstalled windows. But still getting problems, like programs closing, cpu restarting. I ran chkdsk f/, scandisk, etc. I thought that by formatting my hard drive, all these problems would go away. Did I miss something?

ObiWan
08-10-2004, 10:04 PM
if you had formatted properly the viruses should have been wiped completely along with all files and software

brucelee21
08-10-2004, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by ObiWan@10 August 2004 - 22:05
if you had formatted properly the viruses should have been wiped completely along with all files and software
where did I go wrong in my format then? I followed the on screen instructions in the windows setup, all my files were erased, windows reinstalled? I don&#39;t get it?

Mïcrösöül°V³
08-10-2004, 10:54 PM
did you re-install the virus from your back-ups? I know, stupid question. Just make sure you have NO partitions on your drive AT ALL. use DOS to delete all logical partitions. you should just have ONE primary partition of 80gb (it wont be exactly 80, but damn close)

Mïcrösöül°V³
08-10-2004, 11:03 PM
also, windows will ask you in the beginning that it has detected an existing windows install, and ask if you wanna do a fresh install. THIS IS THE POINT WHERE YOU WANNA MAKE SURE YOU ONLY HAVE 1 HDD AND 1 PARTITION. Cuz it will install to a different partition (or drive), which will leave you with 2 windows installs on the same comp, and that just got you nowhere. Best thing is to get out to DOS and do an FDISK, and erase everthing you can (logicals, primaries, partitions, anything....... as DOS wont erase itself, so you cant possibly screw up) You will always have 1 primary left that cant be deleted. just keep selecting options in the DOS windows, hell, theres only 4 options, so use &#39;em all.

Mïcrösöül°V³
08-10-2004, 11:09 PM
sorry about the multiple posts, but this should help you (excerpt from microsoft)

How to partition and format your hard disk by using the Windows XP Setup program
Important If you follow these steps on a hard disk that is not empty, all the data on that hard disk is permanently deleted. We recommend that you back up your hard disk before you follow these steps.

To partition and format your hard disk by using the Windows XP Setup program:
Insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into your CD-ROM drive or DVD-ROM drive, or insert the first Windows XP Setup disk into the floppy disk drive, and then restart the computer.

Note To start your computer from the Windows XP CD-ROM (or from the startup disk), your computer must be configured to start from the CD-ROM drive, the DVD-ROM drive, or the floppy disk drive. In some cases, you may have to modify your computer&#39;s BIOS settings to set this configuration. For information about how to configure your computer to start from the CD-ROM drive, the DVD-ROM drive, or the floppy disk drive, see the documentation that is included with your computer, or contact the computer manufacturer.
If you are starting the computer from the Windows XP CD-ROM, select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted to do this.

Note If your hard disk controller requires a third-party original equipment manufacturer (OEM) driver, press F6 to specify the driver.

For additional information about how to use F6 to supply a third-party OEM device driver while the Windows Setup program is running, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
314859 Limited OEM driver support is available with F6 during Windows XP Setup

If you are starting from the Windows XP Setup disks, insert each of the additional disks when you are prompted, and then press ENTER to continue after you insert each disk.
At the Welcome to Setup page, press ENTER.
Press F8 to accept the Windows XP Licensing Agreement.
If an existing Windows XP installation is detected, you are prompted to repair it. To bypass the repair, press ESC.
All the existing partitions and the unpartitioned spaces are listed for each physical hard disk. Use the ARROW keys to select the partition or the unpartitioned space where you want to create a new partition. Press D to delete an existing partition, or press C to create a new partition by using unpartitioned space. If you press D to delete an existing partition, you must then press L (or press ENTER, and then press L if it is the System partition) to confirm that you want to delete the partition. Repeat this step for each of the existing partitions that you want to use for the new partition. When all the partitions are deleted, select the remaining unpartitioned space, and then press C to create the new partition.

Note If you want to create a partition where one or more partitions already exist, you must first delete the existing partition or partitions, and then create the new partition.
Type the size in megabytes (MB) that you want to use for the new partition, and then press ENTER, or just press ENTER to create the partition with the maximum size.
Repeat Steps 4 and 5 to create additional partitions if you want them.
If you want to install Windows XP, use the ARROW keys to select the partition where you want to install Windows XP, and then press ENTER. If you do not want to format the partition and install Windows XP, press F3 two times to quit the Windows Setup program, and then do not follow the remaining steps. In this case, you must use a different utility to format the partition.
Select the format option that you want to use for the partition, and then press ENTER. You have the following options:
Format the partition by using the NTFS file system (Quick)
Format the partition by using the FAT file system (Quick)
Format the partition by using the NTFS file system
Format the partition by using the FAT file system
Leave the current file system intact (no changes)
The option to leave the current file system intact is not available if the selected partition is a new partition. The FAT file system option is not available if the selected partition is more than 32 gigabytes (GB). If the partition is larger than 2 GB, the Windows Setup program uses the FAT32 file system (you must press ENTER to confirm). If the partition is smaller than 2 GB, the Windows Setup program uses the FAT16 file system.

Note If you deleted and created a new System partition, but you are installing Windows XP on a different partition, you will be prompted to select a file system for both the System and startup partitions.
After the Windows Setup program formats the partition, follow the instructions that appear on the screen to continue. After the Windows Setup program is completed, you can use the Disk Management tools in Windows XP to create or format more partitions.

For additional information about how to use the Windows XP Disk Management tools to partition and format your hard disk, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

brucelee21
08-11-2004, 07:28 AM
well........I did my second format and still these freakin errors&#33;&#33;&#33; I followed the instructions step by step, however when deleting the partition of 76gb, there was an unpartitioned space of 8mb, and I could not delete it. But once I deleted the 76gb, the unpartioned space was no longer there.
So I continued and it formatted...30mins later, it asked to reboot. I decided to boot from the cd cause I didn&#39;t try that last time. So I tried to install windows it said that another operating system is intstalled yada yada yada, how could this be if i just formatted?...so I quit, restarted and booted from the hard drive...which took me to the windows installation.

So with that done, I started to install drivers, updated windows, etc. And the computer kept restarting on its own...meaning the problem has not been solved.

Could this be an unfixable problem, like maybe my hard drive is screwed? It has been making some unusual humming noises that aren&#39;t normal.

brucelee21
08-11-2004, 10:20 PM
but seriously...if a format doesn&#39;t fix this problem...what will?

Robert00000
08-11-2004, 10:42 PM
I think you need to clarify what errors you get exactly, we are all assuming your problem is related to the partitions from your first post, but it could a hardware issue, so you need to give us details of exactly what problems you encouter.

@ CHEWIE - Technically you do not wipe all date when you format, all formating does is delete references to the files. The only way to wipe all the files is by low level formating, which writes over the files.

But as far as windows id concerend formating does wipe the data because it cannot use the files it does not have references to.

brucelee21
08-11-2004, 11:29 PM
well one of the main errors I get is a "windows/system32/config file is missing or corrupt" at startup. The other errors occur when a program is running ie. Explorer, Bittornado, installshield. They have to stop and close, or the cpu will just reset itself. I even had the NT shutdown thingy come up. If you want details of the errors how could I send you the log?

brucelee21
08-11-2004, 11:40 PM
here&#39;s a list of error report details I get in windows when programs shutdown.
c:&#092;windows&#092;system32&#092;dllcache&#092;ntosknl.exe
c:&#092;windows&#092;minidump&#092;mini080904.01.dmp
c:&#092;docu~&#092;deck~1&#092;locals~1&#092;temp&#092;wer1.tmp.dir00&#092;sysdata.xml
c:&#092;temp&#092;wera.tmp.dir00&#092;lsass.exe.mdp&#092;appcompat.txt

I don&#39;t know if these help, but these are mainly the kind of error report things I get.

peat moss
08-12-2004, 12:35 AM
Try an old floppy dos start up disk like win98 , Fdisk restart then , then format c:/u. U= unconditional . Then reboot from xp cd , and reinstall . Bruce scan your backups before you install your old backup programs.

http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/how...format_sys.html (http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/howto/ata_fdisk_format_sys.html)

Edit For being stupid : Sorry Bruce forgot you are floppy less. :lol:

Chewie
08-12-2004, 04:40 AM
Originally posted by Robert00000@11 August 2004 - 22:43
@ CHEWIE - Technically you do not wipe all date when you format, all formating does is delete references to the files. The only way to wipe all the files is by low level formating, which writes over the files.

But as far as windows id concerend formating does wipe the data because it cannot use the files it does not have references to.
Thanks for that, Robert; I think we all know that I understand exactly what formatting does, although others chose not to highlight that I had simplified my explanation for the original poster.
For all intents and purposes, my post was accurate enough.