PDA

View Full Version : Bitorrent Speeds

masterpiece21
08-09-2004, 07:40 PM
Ok i decided to try the torrent way of life n grab a bittorrent client.at first,i didnt kno which 1 to use cuz,well,this stuff was new2me :blink: So i went with the first 1 i could think of......azureus.Now i hear its the fastest of em all,and i got a damn good connection.but nomatter how much i configure azureus,i only hit ab 5-10KB download and upload 15-20KB.......thats sooo not kool.cant i go faster?hell i even turned off my firewall thinking it might of been slowin it.......no prevail :( So i got pissed n trie bittornado...........ah yes same speeds and no nothing special ab it <_< What r the average speeds of Azureus,i know it depends on your seed count n peers but ill like have 15 seeds and only 5-10KB.its not like i got anything hoggin my bandwidth.soo idk wtf to do.and i want all 26 episodes of cowboy bebop damnit&#33; :frusty: Any1 got any suggestions?or even know of a better client?
Thanx,
Colin :01:

podgey
08-09-2004, 10:54 PM
hey

change the ports within the client to 6000-6020

cuz isp slow down the speeds on the default bittorrent ports&#33;&#33;&#33;

hope this helps

MicroScreen2
08-09-2004, 11:08 PM
i may have discovered something. emphasis on may

http://filesharingtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=120767

ZaZu
08-10-2004, 01:06 AM
Adjust your upload banwidth until you find a point where it does not throttle your download bandwidth ;) All Bt clients will download/upload at about the same on your sys with the same settings..I reccomend ABC (http://pingpong-abc.sourceforge.net/) because I like it...

ofbz
08-10-2004, 06:37 AM
you said the torrent file had 15 seeders.... what about leechers... if there were 500... well... i guess you won&#39;t get good speeds...

if you wanna get really good speeds.. try other torrent sites apart from suprnova. try joining torrentbits.org... when i use their torrents, i get really really good speeds (300-400 KB/s) but theres a rule with this type of sites, you HAVE to upload or share as much as you take.... or you will be kicked out....

masterpiece21
08-10-2004, 07:30 PM
Ok ab bittorent,i got 2 Q&#39;s:

What are the peers for?waht do they do?
seeds are waht your DLing from?yes or no?
And whys it matter what site u get a torrent from?shouldnt all the sites have the same torrent for the same file of w/e ur DLing?sry ab the dumb Q thanx tho B)

Colin

ofbz
08-11-2004, 06:58 AM
the way i understand it is:

seeders = uploaders
leechers= downloaders
peers= seeders+leechers
(leechers d/l from seeders)

in order to get good d/l speeds... there has to be a balanced amount of seeders and leechers... or more seeders than leechers...
so in a torrent that says 10 seeders and 2 leechers, the u/l speed of the 10 seeders is gonna be divided by 2.... meaning you&#39;re gonna get awsomes speeds
in a torrent that says 10 seeders and 1000 leechers, the speeds of the 10 of them is gonna be divided by 1000, so your d/l speed is gonna suck

now... each site you get a torrent from is probably a different "community" and you want to find a community that shares a lot... in suprnova, for example... there is no control over people who don&#39;t share (they upload in minimun speeds and &#39;till they finish d/loading) -wich is wrong btw- and these people make the network slow
... but privates comunities (you have to sing up and give some personal data) do care how much you download and how much you upload... if you don&#39;t upload as much as you d/l you could get kicked out... so everybody tries to upload as much as they can.... wich makes the d/l speeds really fast i.e., torrentbits.

as i said before... this is the way I understand it... so i might be wrong in some details...

muchspl2
08-11-2004, 04:24 PM
if you have a router you have to open 6881-6689 to get good speeds

bilko
08-12-2004, 04:29 PM
the way i understand it is:

seeders = uploaders
leechers= downloaders
peers= seeders+leechers
(leechers d/l from seeders)

in order to get good d/l speeds... there has to be a balanced amount of seeders and leechers... or more seeders than leechers...
so in a torrent that says 10 seeders and 2 leechers, the u/l speed of the 10 seeders is gonna be divided by 2.... meaning you&#39;re gonna get awsomes speeds
in a torrent that says 10 seeders and 1000 leechers, the speeds of the 10 of them is gonna be divided by 1000, so your d/l speed is gonna suck

this is of course not exactly how it is and is where BT can sometimes sucks ass and can be v frustrating,

peers share with peers - and as all BT users know, we share a lot with our upload speeds at max but our d/l dragging along,

i rule i go with is keep connections low, for example if u set connections open as 60, whats the point if there is only 30 in a swarm, and if u really want that specific torrent fast - make sure its the only one your d/l&#39;ing so it has full upload speed which will attract interest from other peers and seeds

Gre1
08-13-2004, 12:05 AM
Another day another noob.

Switeck
08-13-2004, 09:09 AM
seeds = people with the whole file
peers = people still downloading the file, but sharing their completed chunks of the file.

Having a LOT of peers and very few seeds is NOT a bad thing if many of the peers are mostly done and/or they tend to have vastly different parts each.

A MAIN cause of slowdowns is MOST users are FIREWALLED and can only download from NON-FIREWALLED users.

If there&#39;s 100 people and 80 of them are firewalled, and you&#39;re 1 of those 80 then you can ONLY download OR UPLOAD to the remaining 20 people. This means ALL downloaders are fighting over the upload bandwidth of the very few non-firewalled users (which in this case there&#39;s only 20) while those that aren&#39;t firewalled can download from anyone who has a piece of the file they&#39;re missing&#33;