PDA

View Full Version : Help Me With Doom 3

08-09-2004, 10:56 PM
Hi guys,

I&#39;ve been playing Doom 3 for a few days but it keeps freezing after 4 minutes <_<

I have to force my PC to restart with the reset button. I think it may be down to my newbie knowledge. I play the game mounted on a virtual drive. I only have 1 virtual drive open and this contains CD1 only.

When I get to the part of the game when the little robot kills the zombies and takes out the 3 imps theres an elevator that takes you out of Mars City. When I go in the elevator (and press the control panel to moe the lift) the game goes black and &#39;once again&#39; freezes.

Am I mounting the game wrong?

Are you supposed to mount all three disks at the same time?

All replies are appreciated :) :frusty: :)

abu_has_the_power
08-09-2004, 11:21 PM
u don&#39;t need to play it mounted. get a no cd crack

TheRealDave
08-09-2004, 11:24 PM
What are your specs? Also do you have latest drivers?

08-09-2004, 11:43 PM
abu_has_the_power,

I&#39;m a total newbie so all I know is,

1. I downloaded it and installed it. It plays with Daemon tools on 1 virtual drive (CD1)

2. I can&#39;t burn it because I don&#39;t have a DVD burner <_<

3. I found the crack on CD1 and cut and pasted it in the Doom 3 folder on my HD. The game ran after I did this.

TheRealDave,

I have a FX GeForce FX 5200 with 512 DDR ram. The processor is the Athlon 2.1. I can play the game on medium quality with an OK frame rate. The game keeps freezing and I have to keep hitting the restart buttom on my tower case to reboot my PC :frusty: This happens every 4 to 8 minutes during gameplay. I have installed the lastest drivers (to the best of my knowledge) on the Nvidia site. Doom 3 ships with DirectX 9 and intalls with the game (I think).

My PC &#39;blue screens&#39; sometimes when I&#39;m just browing the net <_< When I boot my PC it loads mIrc and then goes straight to the WINNIT folder.

Something is wrong but I have absolutely no idea what to do :(

I&#39;ve heard that you have to delete your old direct X driver before installing an updated one or you get &#39;blue screen&#39; problems.

I want to continue with the game. I&#39;ve just got the hang of it.................. :frusty:

cpt_azad
08-10-2004, 12:00 AM
don&#39;t call ur self a n00b, ur just degrading urself since u alreday know ur specs and wat fps i means :P . anyway, i think it is either 3 things that is causing this:

1) 100% cpu usage
2) overheating
3) u don&#39;t have latest drivers and/or directx 9.0b/c

for number 1) on ur desktop, click ctrl-alt-del and bring up task manager, click on the process tab (if u dont have a process tab then ur not running xp, and if ur not running xp doom3 wont work). and look on the bottom for cpu usage, if it reads 100% then PM me and i&#39;ll send u detailed instructions on how to fix it up, also if it is 100% then check to see wat is hogging up system resources, mostly likely the svchost.exe.

for number 2) all i can say is get urself a good cooling system, especially during the summer, my comp can reach temps of up to 50 degrees C while playing doom3 :(

for number 3) go to http://www.nvidia.com and download the latest drivers (i believe they are 67.77? not sure, just check). and then go to http://www.microsoft.com and download direct x 9.0c

and if none of these are the problems then i&#39;m stumped, maybe something to do wit ur bios? is ur card pci or agp? hope atleast one of these helps :)

wienerschnitzel
08-10-2004, 12:01 AM
I had that problem too. I think it worked after i messed around with the graphic settings. I went from low quality to medium. I have no idea why it did this, but I think it had something to do with my graphics card.

I think i also changed the config file. I changed some of the settings that i found in one of the topics here.

I have no idea why i had the same error as you. all i remember is what is did and it worked somehow afterwards.

08-10-2004, 01:04 AM
Thanks guys :)

cpt_azad,

I&#39;m using Windows 2000 Professional. Do you think this might be the root of the problem?

When I try to see the task manager it cuts off and theres a strange &#39;moniter&#39; green icon in my system tray to the right. It disappears when I place the mouse cursor over this icon. Has anyone else experienced this?

I doubt it&#39;s overheating because my PC cover has been removed and I have aircon in my bedroom.

I&#39;ve dl&#39;d the lastest driver for my FX 5200. I think I may have two directX drivers running at once which causes the game to freeze/crash but I can&#39;t confirm or have the knowledge to fix this :helpsmile:

wienerschnitzel,

I&#39;ve tried messing around with different quality settings and reducing the advanced effect setings with no avail. What was the &#39;config file&#39; settings that you altered that you found in one of the topics here?

If you had the same problems as me then I would imagine this might solve my issue too :helpsmile:

cpt_azad
08-10-2004, 01:15 AM
well, the game was designed for windows xp, but it should work on 2000, i think theres a patch out, i&#39;ll go find it and give u the link to it. also, u cannot run 2 directx drivers at once as that would really screw up ur comp (kind of like a contradiction). the config file he referred too is in the pinned doom3 thread, look for it in gameworld, it&#39;s on the top with like 700+ posts (started by urs truly :01: ). as for ctrl alt del, u wont be able to get the processes tab as far as i know.

cpt_azad
08-10-2004, 01:17 AM
hmmm, i only found a win 98/ME fix, no windows 2000 fix which either means the fix isn&#39;t out yet, or it should run perfectly fine on windows 2000, i&#39;m guessin the latter for ur case. try messing wit the config, if u mess up too much, just delete it and start the game, the game will automatically create a new config file so no worries.

Spicker
08-10-2004, 04:03 AM
i still think its overheating...

download speed fan and check your temps (http://www.almico.com/speedfan414.exe) ;)

CornerPocket
08-12-2004, 03:13 PM
Please refer to the Pinned DooM III - GAME PROBLEMS, ISSUES (http://filesharingtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=121147)thread for further assistance should you need it.