PDA

View Full Version : Ares

skylark
08-11-2004, 08:48 PM
Just downloaded Ares.
Can anyone tell me why it keeps making a full scan of my system, and what is all this hash priority??
Also, each time i try to do a search - it gives me zero results?
What am i doing wrong, and is Ares a good file sharing program.
Any help would be great
Thanks
skylark

Skillian
08-12-2004, 12:12 AM
Hi,

Ares seems OK, just started using it myself. Lot of stuff seems to come straight from the Kazaa network, which is a bit of a shame. When it's starting, it will make a scan of all the folders you've decided to share with other users. It makes "hashes" of these files so it can tell other users what files you're sharing.

The hash priority just means if you set it to high it'll do the hashes faster but use more of your system resources, so your comp will work slower while it's doing this. Just leave it on normal and it'll do it in the background.

Dunno 'bout your serarch results, try searching something popular like "britney" or "eminem" and if you still get zero search results then there's definitely a problem. Come back then and maybe we can help you out.

skylark
08-12-2004, 12:24 AM
thanks for the reply, ive tried about 10 different searches and still nothing, ive looked into the preferences but all looks ok, im only a beginner though!
????????????????

Skillian
08-12-2004, 12:48 AM
Beginner shouldn't really come into it, if you can get to the search tab and type in your search request, that's all there is to it.

Are you behind a router or anything, or are you directly connecte dto the Internet?

skylark
08-12-2004, 07:43 AM
i am using kazaa and that works ok, and im using zone alarm, but thats about it

Switeck
08-12-2004, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by skylark@12 August 2004 - 02:44
i am using kazaa and that works ok, and im using zone alarm, but thats about it
Zone Alarm v5+ seems to cause file-sharing programs IMMENSE problems.
They even recommended going back to ZA v4.5 till they resolve those issues!

skylark
08-12-2004, 05:58 PM
never seemed to have a problem with ZA and K lite working together. Is it possible that it could cause problems with Ares and not with K lite?

The Ozzman
08-13-2004, 03:10 AM
are u sure you are connected? also sometimes i would have to wait for 'would you like to choose a nickname' pop up screen before i could use search. Give the prog a couple of min before u start searching.

Switeck
08-13-2004, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by skylark@12 August 2004 - 12:59
never seemed to have a problem with ZA and K lite working together. Is it possible that it could cause problems with Ares and not with K lite?
Yes, ZA may cause Ares problems but not K-Lite.

You can try adjusting ZA's settings and reading about other people with the same problems (found using GOOGLE.)

digmen1
10-08-2004, 05:42 PM
Ares is a great P2P for me.

Re searching make sure you are "Online" look at the blue status line at the top. It will tell you if you are online and for how long. If you are not connected here then you will be able to download but not upload or search.

I find that I have to re-install Ares every few days otherwise it seems to stop going on-line for me.

Regards

Digby NZ

nostalgia
10-09-2004, 07:40 AM
On top of the browser window you can see if Ares is still connecting or the connection is made and search is available. Remember that the amount of users on Ares is still not as much as for example K-lite.
The advice to search for popular songs is ideal to make sure Ares is working.
I often get zero results but my taste of music is dying with nowadays generation I suppose.

motherflux
10-09-2004, 08:10 PM
My only real complaint about Ares is the lack of anything but the most basic of search filters (bitrate, artist, keywords, etc).
However, it is a good p2p app, and can get nice speeds depending on availability...which is kinda still kinda spotty. Ares still hasn't really got a huge user-base yet.

And about the hash priority....
Ares will make hashes of all your files, for use in magnet links. It's just indexing everything on the network.
A good thing to do initially is to turn start Ares at night, give the hashing the highest priority, and depending on the number of files you share, it'll probably be done in the morning. After that, the only time it'll need to hash is when you add new shared files.

It could turn into a very nice p2p app if loads of people bring their shares.

:)

Prodigy Girl
10-09-2004, 11:00 PM
Recently, I seem to be having problems with Ares, too. None of my downloads will start, and none of my searches will return any results, no matter how common the query is. Ares just doesn't seem to connect. :(